Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AST's action learning order is now hella comical due to all of the new interlinked mechanics and the lowering of Gravity. You learn four new actions at 50, in exchange for not getting a new action at 52 or 56. That's still a lot of fuckin' actions to pick up in the span of a level!

aers posted:

Apparently it was confirmed there's now a global 90 fps cap on the game during the patch note reading, lol.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, their engine's collision detection starts to poo poo the bed at 100+ FPS. They likely ended up having too many points in Shadowbringers where people at high FPS could just straight up walk through walls to bypass content or unintentionally phase through terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Krabboss posted:

So since the media tour GNB gained a bunch of potency across the board, DNC lost a bit and their crit/dh buff was nerfed by 10% (but gained 5s) and new MCH gained potency pretty much across the board but lost a bit on their 1 and Heat Blast. Old jobs that aren't being reworked don't seem to have changed much. Warrior's Shake it Off starts at 12% now, which is nice.

Hypercharge increases single target weaponskill potencies by 20 now, so HB is the same as before when you factor that in. I think they made that small change because you learn HC at 30 and HB at 35, and in between those levels there would be no reason to overheat if it wasn't for that small potency increase. WF and Barrel Stabilizer also had their cooldowns changed to 2m instead of 1m, and WF adds 200 potency per weaponskill instead of 150.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really happy with how GNB is looking. God I'm so excited to try that job out. Everything about it looks fun as hell. I love its weird mashup of really :black101: skill names like Jugular Rip and Abdomen Tear along with a bunch of astronomy terms like Superbolide, Aurora, and Bow Shock.

Also I'm happy for ASTs that they get Gravity earlier now, speaking of astronomy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 27, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Klewer posted:

Hypercharge increases single target weaponskill potencies by 20 now, so HB is the same as before when you factor that in. I think they made that small change because you learn HC at 30 and HB at 35, and in between those levels there would be no reason to overheat if it wasn't for that small potency increase. WF and Barrel Stabilizer also had their cooldowns changed to 2m instead of 1m, and WF adds 200 potency per weaponskill instead of 150.

Ah, I was pretty good about checking the recasts but didn't notice the change on WF. Bummer!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

aers posted:

Apparently it was confirmed there's now a global 90 fps cap on the game during the patch note reading, lol.
Seems to be a measure against bots, because one way of teleporting/clipping around was with high FPS.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

See I wouldn't care so much if AST had SOMETHING to weave into during the recast wait time since they get faster casting but nope.

AST's had the 1.5s cast time on Malefic since either 4.1 or 4.2. I've never had a problem with not having poo poo to use during my oGCDs. You actually have more actions you'll have to weave on the regular than before, especially with the changes to Sleeve Draw.

Hogama posted:

Seems to be a measure against bots, because one way of teleporting/clipping around was with high FPS.

Bots use position spoofing to warp around, since it's vastly more efficient. There's the possibility that they've added in better detection for position spoofing and this is an attempt to permanently clamp down on them, but my money's more on Shadowbringers' world being made of Swiss cheese at high enough FPS.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 27, 2019

aers
Feb 15, 2012

That's all well and good but here's what the framerate limiter does to my FPS

So I really hope they've fixed the implementation.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

If you thought SCH's healing was ridiculous before, get ready for stacking AoE Adlo.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

aers posted:

I've never had an ingame FPS limiter work as well as just using an external tool like MSI Afterburner/RTSS, or the special k plugin setups.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I've never had an ingame FPS limiter work as well as just using an external tool like MSI Afterburner/RTSS, or the special k plugin setups.

Yeah I use RTSS for this game.

edit: Looking at some technical details they'll have to have re-implemented the frame limiter because their current implementation can't actually cap to 90fps. So this..might be good!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Friendly neighbourhood catte here again!

So, I found out throughout most of Stormblood my true calling.

Raiding? Not at all. Raiding is fun and all, but my true passion was found in the glamour.

And Stormblood was pretty perfect for Glamours! Now that Shadowbringers is upon us, I figured it was time for edgier glamours however. Time to bring darkness to the first.

So happy pre-patch day! Looking forward to seeing all of you on the first.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

do we know if there's gonna be a pre-patch available before the gates are opened

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what's the difference between the tanks mechanically? i havent tanked since ARR so my only point of reference is PLD is a bit tankier with less DPS and WAR is a bit squishier but shits damage and yeah I know that's probably not the same anymore either

aers
Feb 15, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

do we know if there's gonna be a pre-patch available before the gates are opened

Yeah but the timing was different for HW & SB so it will be "anytime in the next 18 hours".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

so what's the difference between the tanks mechanically? i havent tanked since ARR so my only point of reference is PLD is a bit tankier with less DPS and WAR is a bit squishier but shits damage and yeah I know that's probably not the same anymore either

PLD: Has a decent ranged attack in combat during movement phases. Focused on maintaining a DoT and using oGCD actions for damage. Loads of party utility.
WAR: Gets to see big numbers fly across the screen constantly and still has the best AoE out of all of the tanks. Has to maintain a damage buff. Limited oGCDs.
DRK: Fairly steady state tank. Optimizing damage requires good use of your main short cooldown defensive action. Fairly limited oGCDs now. You get a Stand at level 80.
GNB: Gets an absolute shitload of oGCDs. Decent party utility, though still less than PLD.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

aers posted:

It also makes my Freesync-display completely poo poo the bed :/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

PLD: heavier mitigation and a varied toolset including some spells
WAR: high damage output based on burst windows with limited, albeit effective, utility
DRK: decent damage output based on consistency, with the ability to shield damage+generate resources on a low cooldown. not sure how the damage for it stacks up but they've also always had the most varied and interesting AoE.
GNB: gonna have to see how it plays out but it looks a bit like what you'd get synthesizing PLD's utility with DRK's consistency

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Any tips for getting to ilvl 360 quickly? I'm currently at 345 and hoping to get to 360 today so I can finish the msq

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Forgot when servers are coming down. Get as many Tomestones of whatever type you can. They will all be able to turn into Poetics tomorrow.

When the servers come up, buy 390 gear with poetics, upgrade to 400 if you want.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I want to get into this game again- I previously played back during ARR but didn’t get very far. Around the time Stormblood came out I got HW on sale and boosted my dude to 50 and played for a while more. Im getting the itch to reinstall, but I’m torn between starting all over from 1 and slogging through ARR or continuing from where I am, which is somewhere in Ishgard and completely overwhelmed by buttons.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Performance issues aside, the 90fps thing makes me laugh at the idea of the WoL vibrating through walls ala Barry Allen.

Anyway, I dunno if I wanna be RDM or BRD. Both look fun, and I'm pretty good at both, but people in Discord saying RDM is for old people. While I am an old and this is true, you don't have to say it!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I want to get into this game again- I previously played back during ARR but didn’t get very far. Around the time Stormblood came out I got HW on sale and boosted my dude to 50 and played for a while more. Im getting the itch to reinstall, but I’m torn between starting all over from 1 and slogging through ARR or continuing from where I am, which is somewhere in Ishgard and completely overwhelmed by buttons.

Just pick up where you left off. If you're genuinely unable to pick up your old class again, you can always level a new one from 1-50 on that character with the Armory bonus speeding things along.

aers posted:

I dug around on Reddit, and people with better display knowledge than me have said that they had to have changed the implementation. The previous implementation simply called the IDXGISwapChain::Present method while setting SyncInterval, which apparently cannot hard cap FPS.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 27, 2019

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Givin posted:

Forgot when servers are coming down. Get as many Tomestones of whatever type you can. They will all be able to turn into Poetics tomorrow.

When the servers come up, buy 390 gear with poetics, upgrade to 400 if you want.

Thanks. Will do that for sure

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CYBEReris posted:

PLD: heavier mitigation and a varied toolset including some spells
WAR: high damage output based on burst windows with limited, albeit effective, utility
DRK: decent damage output based on consistency, with the ability to shield damage+generate resources on a low cooldown. not sure how the damage for it stacks up but they've also always had the most varied and interesting AoE.
GNB: gonna have to see how it plays out but it looks a bit like what you'd get synthesizing PLD's utility with DRK's consistency

hmm, I'm a fan of cleric style tanking so PLD is tempting but I might try the new hotness GNB instead. Though PLD is going to feel completely different with all those AoEs at low levels now.

smokestersky
Aug 30, 2007

This is the song that never ends
It just goes 'round and 'round, my friends
Some people started singing it
Not knowing what it was
And we continue singing it forever just because
So with the BLM updates (buffs to me), it looks like we can get up to 5 flares in a row!

Umbral Heart Flare > Umbral Soul > Umbral Heart Flare > Flare > Manafont > Flare > Ether > Flare!

All but 1 of these can be insta cast.

Plus, you can now ice 3 at zero mp, and follow up with double Fouls, then back to more flares even faster!

AND 2 seconds were added to Astral/Umbral timer so it's harder to lose Enochian!

...it pays to play Yoshi-p's favorite class.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I finally got to get started last night (just in time for all day server maintenance today (:eng99:), but wanted to share my PC with y'all since that seems to be encouraged. I'm playing on Goblin server right now, but hope to jump to Excalibur to play with y'all when it opens up.

Really loved getting lost in Ul'dah and then finding out that those quests were designed to do exactly that!

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

smokestersky posted:

So with the BLM updates (buffs to me), it looks like we can get up to 5 flares in a row!

Umbral Heart Flare > Umbral Soul > Umbral Heart Flare > Flare > Manafont > Flare > Ether > Flare!

All but 1 of these can be insta cast.

Plus, you can now ice 3 at zero mp, and follow up with double Fouls, then back to more flares even faster!

AND 2 seconds were added to Astral/Umbral timer so it's harder to lose Enochian!

...it pays to play Yoshi-p's favorite class.

You can only use Umbral Soul in UI.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The wait for this expansion is a rollercoaster of emotions.

First, I was definitely going to play GNB first because it's the new hotness.
Then, I was definitely going to play WAR first because it's still good and I want to hit the new content first.
Then, I was definitely going to play DRK first because it's the expansion job and I want to hit the new content first.
Now, I am definitely going to play PLD first because it's got some great QOL changes, buffs, does damage 4 different ways, and I want to hit the new content first.

Too many good tanks. ShB: the tank expansion

smokestersky
Aug 30, 2007

This is the song that never ends
It just goes 'round and 'round, my friends
Some people started singing it
Not knowing what it was
And we continue singing it forever just because

Klewer posted:

You can only use Umbral Soul in UI.

Hmm, I see that now it grants Umbral ice as well as a heart. I guess I got too excited. Not quite sure what the point of the ability is then while Blizz 4 exists unless you can't wait for the cast time before switching back to fire?

Oh well, so 4 tops with an ether still, but double Fouls is still a powerful AoE upgrade.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

ManSedan posted:

There's two pretty solid ways to refamiliarize yourself with a class. The fast one is to run Palace of the Dead from the beginning, which will set you to 1 and then fairly quickly level you back up. The slower one is to run each dungeon in a row, so you really get the idea of what order you unlock your buttons in and how they're used. I'd give those a try before restarting entirely.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

smokestersky posted:

Hmm, I see that now it grants Umbral ice as well as a heart. I guess I got too excited. Not quite sure what the point of the ability is then while Blizz 4 exists unless you can't wait for the cast time before switching back to fire?

Oh well, so 4 tops with an ether still, but double Fouls is still a powerful AoE upgrade.

It's for building up to/maintaining UI3 and 3 umbral hearts when there's nothing for you to attack. So in between dungeon pulls or during phase transitions in a boss fight you use it, and then when you're able to target an enemy again you can start dealing good damage again much more quickly.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

ManSedan posted:

You can do hall of the novice:
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Hall_of_the_Novice
For a basic refresher of how to play (at level 15)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
keep in mind that many to most people you'll queue into don't use all their skills or don't understand them outside of rote application so if you're trying and prep a bit you'll probably be just fine.

Also so I can look smart in front of my friends how do you pronounce goetia?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://kotaku.com/sony-announces-live-action-final-fantasy-xiv-tv-series-1835904929

what

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ManSedan posted:

If actions are overwhelming you, you have a couple good options:
Run a few low level dungeons, increasing level as you relearn the skills.
Pop into Palace of the Dead and run a few tiers, regaining your skills as you level inside.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

keep in mind that many to most people you'll queue into don't use all their skills or don't understand them outside of rote application so if you're trying and prep a bit you'll probably be just fine.

Also so I can look smart in front of my friends how do you pronounce goetia?

IIRC "go eat'sha" and "go etty ah" are both valid but I might be wrong

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Klewer posted:

Hypercharge increases single target weaponskill potencies by 20 now, so HB is the same as before when you factor that in. I think they made that small change because you learn HC at 30 and HB at 35, and in between those levels there would be no reason to overheat if it wasn't for that small potency increase.

i'm no theorycrafter, and i need to wait for all the mch mains to start doing the math once the game goes live, BUT

poking my head around the balance discord it sounds like hypercharge might have an animation lock. if this is the case, you might only be able to get 5 heat blasts during an overheat rather than 6. if this is true, it might only be worth heat blasting during a wildfire window and then normal combos the rest of the time? they might have put the 20 potency bump because if hypercharge > heat blast outside of wildfire was a dps loss there'd be no point in doing it, so this is a way of giving it some benefit

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Awesome Animals posted:

I finally got to get started last night (just in time for all day server maintenance today (:eng99:), but wanted to share my PC with y'all since that seems to be encouraged. I'm playing on Goblin server right now, but hope to jump to Excalibur to play with y'all when it opens up.

Really loved getting lost in Ul'dah and then finding out that those quests were designed to do exactly that!

I’m totally biased but hit up Third Party Tools when you come over. Honestly can’t go wrong with any of the other goon FCs though. Everyone’s super chill and helpful. If you’re enjoying just getting started you’ll love this game, especially when ya hop over to a FC.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hope Danny Devito plays Alphinaud in the actual, real life, no joking FFXIV live action television series on Netflix that is coming.

I'm in the deadzone between HW and SB as far as MSQ goes, level 62, so I guess I have to wait a few weeks to bring the shadow. Been enjoying it, though. Also, I'm on Excalibur. Is <TUPAC> the "Please Be Careful" goons??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Sir Simon Milligan posted:

I’m totally biased but hit up Third Party Tools when you come over. Honestly can’t go wrong with any of the other goon FCs though. Everyone’s super chill and helpful. If you’re enjoying just getting started you’ll love this game, especially when ya hop over to a FC.

I'm looking forward to it. I think I got pushed onto a preferred server, so. I may need to wait 90 days.