Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hello new thread

i am the maps god

i look forward to mapping with you in the future

https://i.imgur.com/YI6rdwD.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't read the thread, and a search of reddit popped up nothing, so TIME FOR SOME DOL DATA!!!

re: Level 71 Retainer DOL Ventures
1279 Gathering seems to be the mid tier breakpoint (i.e. 15/20/??) which you can get with the i330 level 71 NQ stuff fairly easily with some cheap materia melds.

I don't know what the upper bound is because I threw on my 1665 gathering i339 set and my retainer was still only going to bring back 20 Blood Tomatoes.

Semper Games.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
beat the game

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kerrzhe posted:

does anyone have any tips for a newly boosted monk

all i can find on the internet is just openers. i would really like to know what to do after the opener.

you have 3 buffs/debuffs and 3 straight forward damage dealers, shockingly enough you have 3 different stances and 3 aoes, too

stance 1/opo-opo:
dragon kick: makes your next bootshine hurt real good (flank)
bootshine: punch a butt for up to 300 potency with a guaranteed crit (rear)
arm of the destroyer: 80-110 potency aoe

stance 2/raptor:
twin snakes: straight up +10% damage for 15 seconds (flank)
true strike: do 220 or 240 potency damage (rear)
four-point fury: 120 potency aoe and will add +10 seconds to your twin snakes NOTE: THIS DOES NOT PROC TWIN SNAKES, ONLY EXTENDS

stance 3/coeurl:
demolish: this is your dot (rear)
snap punch: 210-230 damage and gives you a GL stack (flank)
rockbreaker: 120 potency cone aoe

that's your bread and butter, those are the buttons you'll be pressing every ~2 seconds. basically every other 1-2-3 cycle, you'll have to refresh your buffs/debuffs without clipping too much; ex: round 1 is (form shift to opo) dragon kick, twin snakes, demo, then round 2 is bootshine, true strike, snap punch... round 3 is dragon kick, twin snakes, snap punch, round 4 bootshine, true strike, demo, etc etc.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 13, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

https://i.imgur.com/mUAvxjY.mp4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Diabetic posted:

Currently, just hit 29 on my Thaumaturge and just playing through the story because the XP is so good. I just wish I could unlock the jobs I actually want before playing so far into the story to get them. I'd love to get RDM/Gunblader-er/and DRK but seems like it's gonna be a long time. Haven't even got my Chocobo license yet.

You can unlock your companion at 30, but you should have unlocked mounts at 20.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
MNK feels weird and I haven’t put any time into figuring out the PB-DK-BS timing. Starting in fire stance, anatmanning GL3, and switching into fists of wind feels p decent though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Vi sitter i discord och spelar LotA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Veotax posted:

I honestly never really used it, only as a final attack before to boss does something that would take them out of the picture long enough to make GL run out. But with Anatman and Six-Sided Star you have so many ways to stop GL from running out now.

I really should state that I'm probably only passable as a Monk, I really don't try to play super optimally or run EX Trials or Savage Raids. I've never run a parser so I don't really know what my DPS is like. It's embarrassing to admit, but for all of Stormblood (and I only started playing this game around SB's launch) I was doing positionals wrong, I spent all my time punching the enemy in the rear, not realising that half of my moves are flank moves. I've fixed that now.

EDIT: Question of my own: How the gently caress are you spposed to use Chakra before 62?
I only started playing in SB, so I have no idea how MNK palyed in HW. But with Meditation being GCD I can't see a place where you would really use it while actively in combat. Sure, in downtime during phase transitions, but while punching things in the back/side?

it's a 1 shot that you can charge while running around before you get brotherhood. :v:

i'm kind of a lovely monk and constantly die to poo poo, but i can run something with you and check out how you're doing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Your Computer posted:

I guess PotD pulls from more than just dungeon themes because I went looking for the one that always takes me off guard and I guess it's a PvP theme? This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGhDklTOL0

it sounds like something you'd hear in Ragnarok Online, not FFXIV :eyepop:

this is used in treasure hunt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i will also be running maps, but i will also be running stats too using MAPRUNNER

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Senior Dog posted:

Thanks, I was afraid that was the case. I got really burnt out on chaining dungeons in wow that I never want to do it again. I definitely don't mind running them at least once though if they're that cool.

I was hoping for a timeless isle analogue or some kind of world quest system that isn't just dailies but slightly different, but I should probably take this to the "your perfect mmo" thread.

:rolleyes:

I haven’t done endgame content in 2 weeks outside of today when I ran a single level 80 dungeon. The end game exists, there’s plenty of things to do there, but there’s also a million other things to be doing as well.

Today I played for a bit, and here’s what I did:
- ran a daily roulette for NIN which got it from 45 to 48
- did the rank 4 and 5 hunting logs for rogue
- did my class quests from 30 to 45 which was a decent chunk of story
- went to the gold saucer and messed around
- ran a single dungeon to bridge the gap to 50
- ran the 1st ARR capstone dungeon for something relaxing and easy to do so I could finish spiritbonding my level 48 gear
- did the 2nd ARR raid for a bunch of xp, hit level 52
- made a leather jacket for a friend
- ran a level 80 roulette because I haven’t done ANY endgame content all week
- did a few pvp matches

My goals for today were to get NIN up because I’m going after a PVP centric title and armor set. 95% of what I was doing has been in the game for like 4 years.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Veriun posted:

Just finished the level 65 WHM job quest. Sylphie's idea is terrible and something will inevitably blow up, but the quest chain's premise is pretty neat and I hope Gabby and her mom will be OK.

Also the whole Ruby Sea plot feels so... weird. Maybe it's because I got used to Heavensward's fast-paced story progression, but even the game seems to poke fun at the sheer amount of sidetracking we're doing ("golly gee I sure hope Gosetsu hasn't died yet"). It's not a bad thing - the areas are all gorgeous, and I'm psyching myself up to do Susano, so I don't mind the slower pacing. I just suddenly realized that hey, we're kind of accomplishing jack poo poo... and then I got a sidequest to ride a striped ray and had way too much fun to be annoyed. I will take your underwater dog for underwater walks whenever you want, Kojin NPC :3:

SUCCCCCC

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Baron Porkface posted:

Ok have you ever used a controller with ESO?

Lets say you are in a dungeon and want do damage a monster and you notice that a team members health is going down

In ESO you:

-Press x for a damage spell
-Press y for a heal spell.

In FFXIV you:

-make sure you are not on your out of combat crossbar
-Hold left trigger to highlight the skill (and having to hold the trigger the trigger is obnoxious)
-right tab multiple times to select the right monster
-press x for a damage spell.
-release the left trigger
-press b to deselect your monster target
-push down arrow to put the cursor on party member one
-push down arrow to put the cursor on party member two
-push down arrow to put the cursor on party member three
-push down arrow to put the cursor on party member four
-press a to select the party member
-Hold right trigger to highlight the skill (and having to hold the trigger is obnoxious)
-Press y for a heal spell
-If you do something in the wrong order you will get an annoying interaction menu that you have to find a way to close while your friends die.

In ESO you can bind buttons to bring up the map, mount up, and do other out of combat things not taking up space in your hotbar. Not in FFXIV, where you either run out of space for your spells or have to resort to an out of combat hotbar.
In ESO you can switch between keyboard and controller with one keybind, in eso you have to bring up the character menu.

The cardinal sins of the FFXIV UI is no auto-targeting, no concept of in and out of combat, and not using xbox-B as a universal cancel/close button.

You know you can change targeting priority from the default behavior, right?

Controller good, you bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cleretic posted:

His point is you're comparing control schemes for two totally different purposes.

My toolbars for my main job in FFXIV, Black Mage, has thirty-six spells; I don't need all of them all the time, but I need all of them some of the time and some of them all of the time. It'd be ugly to manage that with XIV's gamepad controls, but I could swing it; it'd be impossible with ESO's system. But that's fine, because ESO doesn't give me thirty-six spells to juggle for one class.

Lmao bunch of nerds who have never played on controller being like “so many buttons!!!”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Awesome! posted:

i just unlocked this and watched a video so i am prepared to tank. i know deep down in my soul that i am going to screw up the eye color stack/run thing.

if it makes you feel any better, for a special bit of "high level" content they used this as a miniboss and i've had parties where we almost wiped to it even though we were all in i370 synced gear

like the healer's dead and people are asking if anyone has a phoenix down

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
is there a release date for 5.1 yet?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They also said that they’re no longer going to do the door fights for the final fight.

In SB, you’d have to fight the boss to a checkpoint (6 to 8 minutes) before the Final Final (no really this time) Final boss. When the instance timed out, you’d have to do that first section again.

I think UCOB is in the 18-20 minute range, though; however, it’s better to think of the Ultimate fights as a tier above Savage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay this post 2.0 stuff is getting to me

I have killed multiple gods

"can you go carry boxes around thanks"

I SAVED EORZEA ITSELF FROM CERTAIN DOOM

"take these boxes upstairs when you get all of them"

you should unlock DRK when you get to 3.0

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
goons are... active...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TopHatGenius posted:

Right? All the Stormblood dungeons are baller AF.

Doma Castle caught me soo off guard. That theme is such a banger :pcgaming:

i legit don't like the leitmotif, but the first 45 seconds (and the cutscene) are good as hell

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
shb has some good music

a lot of folks didn't like the new buttrock battle music, but it rules. the first two post-msq dungeons have absolutely great tracks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
re:frontlines

it's not bad if you play on the right team (maelstrom) and successfully get the absolute morons (flames) to pick fights with the assholes who do nothing but premade (adders)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Insert name here posted:

Man these 2.1 MSQs are killing me here. I don't really mind just going around talking to people for the most part but boy is there a lot of it and I obviously don't want to skip any of it. I just want to unlock Ishgard so I can finally switch to Machinist. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cleretic posted:

This is actually exactly what I mean. Factions get entrenched as either 'winnable' or 'unwinnable', and that never goes away because people who are serious about trying to win just go 'well, the Flames never win, so I'm not gonna join them'. Therefore, the Flames actually do never win, because they don't get people who are serious about winning.

it's more balanced than you think, i was being facetious.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, went 1-38 WAR in 24h real time. Time for a break before I go into cutters cry.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
:siren: :siren: :siren: /!\ ATTENTION NEWBIES /!\ :siren: :siren: :siren:

stop solo queuing for poo poo and instead ask your FC to queue with you

a quick "hey, anyone for first time __________" is all you need

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Natsuumi posted:

But I don't want my FC to see I'm actually a bad player :ohdear:

we would never fake you out or lie to you just to see you eat a mechanic that catches out everyone on the first time around

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

whalestory posted:

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind this? I've been solo queuing this whole time but I'll start saying poo poo in fc chat

someone in dgkk, ironically named “power-of- friendship”, was asking questions and whatnot, and mentioned that they were 15 minutes in a queue, as a tank, for story susano.

inviting 4 goons later, the queue instapopped, and 8 minutes later the trial was over.

DONT SPEND 15 MINUTES IN A QUEUE

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
on the other hand, ramuh is p chill and probably (read: definitely) knows a guy who has that really sticky stuff

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've only done the moogles beast tribe in HW, so I can't speak to the others... but I did all of SB's and each are charming and annoying in their own way (outside of the namazu, of course).

The dialogue option choice at the end of the kojin one is some next level poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Real Horse posted:

I cared more about helping them set up their legendary party than I've cared about anything in a video game in a decade, pre-Shadowbringers.

hm, yes yes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bagrada posted:

I've got a friend who recently bailed on WoW because he didn't want to jump through hoops to play the new allied races. He's trying FF14 now and has his eye on Machinist. Like me, he moves around to a lot of games, and he's busy with work and a family, so I don't see him playing through the full game. Especially since this is the first Final Fantasy he's played, though he loves jrpgs, and he doesn't seem to care about video game music.

All that said, he really likes the game but he's thinking of buying the machinist level boost to unlock the class for himself. Does anyone have any experience with that or know how it works? Currently he only has a level 27 archer just past Ifrit. I'm not much farther along so I don't know what to expect. From what we can tell, he will be set to 70 machinist and given a starter set of gear, accessories at least. The 30-70 machinist job quests will be autocompleted. He'll still be at the same point of the main story quest unless he buys a story skip too I think. He's fine with just mowing through the MSQ with an overleveled machinist as long as he gets to play with their toys. He plans to check the inn for machinist cutscenes then maybe watch it on youtube. He'll still have to play through up to Shadowbringers in the MSQ to get to any level 70 content but he's fine with that. He'll still be synched down for trials and dungeons I assume since my monk just ran Sastasha with an 18 dark knight in training the other day.

Anything we are missing or should know? Thanks.

Tell him it’s a 150-200 hour long jrpg and that there’s nothing particularly exciting at level cap.

If he just wants to see number get bigger, I’d suggest Adventure Capitalist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just rescued Tataru from a morbol, now I'm sparring with Hoary Boulder and ugh, when did the Scions get so good? I love this dude, he's a great teacher.

he's a big dude with a big heart and a big dick

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StrixNebulosa posted:

We are all the most stylish WoL!

How do you get new colors for your chocobo?

feed em fruits

https://ffxivchocobo.com/en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I have bothered the general chat thread enough with my ff14 experience so I just wanted to check in here. I have been using the free login time to finally play this game and I have been leveling a dragoon. I just got to level 45 and beat Garuda. I am about at the end of my free time and now I have to make a decision about whether to continue with this.

That encyclopedia page posted earlier and that stuff in the video for the Eden raid has me leaning towards yes. People talking about the hundred quests of garbage has me leaning in the other direction.

Honestly, repetitive quests don't necessarily bother me. There are two things that really tick me off though: repeated long manual movement between locations (chocobo taxis are okay) and having to muddle through buildings or locations because the map and quest markers are useless in terms of elevation or walls in the way.

I just really want to mess with a gunblade before FF8 Remaster but I don't want to pay to skip anything

it's a 150-200 hour long jrpg

do you want to play a 150-200 hour long jrpg?

e: also everyone overblows on how "bad" 2.x is. it's rough, yes. it's not perfect, it's a bit annoying. it's probably the closest thing to an mmo-rear end mmo that this game does. it's definitely the lowest point of the game, but you have to put that in the context of "that kinda sucked and had me porting across the map for no particular reason" for maybe 5 hours tops out of 200 hour long jrpg. StrixNebulosa just wrapped up THE WORST PART OF THE GAME, so maybe ask them while it's still at the front of their brain.

e2: this is all moot because they're apparently revamping arr in about 5-6 months (5.3 is what i've seen thrown around)

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 21, 2019