Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

It's that time again

I think we didn't do this last year and I didn't want to miss it again during the run-up to Death Stranding. For new IZ posters, METAL GEAR JULY is a month to play & celebrate the Metal Gear series that we've been doing for uh... 5 years now? I think In_Training started the original thread but I don't remember now.

Some of my favorite memories:

+ Playing Snake Eater for the first time as part of the HD Remakes in 2014
+ Playing through the majority of Peace Walker with In_Training during the run-up to the Metal Gear Solid 5 release

This year I want to complete Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and do a high-rank run of Metal Gear Solid 3 and a no-markers/HUD run of Metal Gear Solid 5. What are your favorite MGJ memories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The game that made me envy a PS2 owner.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think this is the year I finally replay MGSV, especially with Death Stranding coming out soon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tomorrow it will be still June you stupid bitch.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

I think this is the year I finally replay MGSV, especially with Death Stranding coming out soon.

Plutonis posted:

This, and this as well

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Plutonis posted:

1v1 me bitch

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I've been putting it off forever but I messed around with a no marking/hud mission and it was incredibly fun. It's kind of stupid though that you have to play offline now... even if you delete your save if you log in online your new file will have a zillion resources and vehicles

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I've been putting it off forever but I messed around with a no marking/hud mission and it was incredibly fun. It's kind of stupid though that you have to play offline now... even if you delete your save if you log in online your new file will have a zillion resources and vehicles

no marking, no hud, no action button markers, and no interpreters is so good and makes the game even better on the second time through. i'm gonna make some room for mgs v this july. i wish they would port it to the switch, the game ran great on the ps3 and i'm sure the fox engine would be even better there. but i also know it would never ever happen.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna finally finish my MgSV plat and get all the objectives in each mission. Got S ranks on my first run

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLF53T4eHWY

i watched this the other day, didn't know about over half the poo poo in this video and i've beaten mgs2 a million times. theres so many unnecessary details and secrets its crazy

ive been itching to replay mgs3. maybe i'll get the collection soon

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My only ever play through of Snake Eater was extremely rushed and I just kinda brute forced it. Are the HD versions on ps4 or do I have to break out my ps3

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLF53T4eHWY

i watched this the other day, didn't know about over half the poo poo in this video and i've beaten mgs2 a million times. theres so many unnecessary details and secrets its crazy

ive been itching to replay mgs3. maybe i'll get the collection soon

You should watch the Outer Heaven Network streams, particularly drk/threedogg

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

My only ever play through of Snake Eater was extremely rushed and I just kinda brute forced it. Are the HD versions on ps4 or do I have to break out my ps3

You need PS3 or PC or 360 to play the metal gear collection unfortunately. I wish they'd just port it minus MGS4 if that's the hangup

edit: not to imply MGS4 is on anything other than PS3 you'll need one of those either way

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

You need PS3 or PC or 360 to play the metal gear collection unfortunately. I wish they'd just port it minus MGS4 if that's the hangup

edit: not to imply MGS4 is on anything other than PS3 you'll need one of those either way

mgs collection isn't on pc

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

make it snatcher and psychonauts july instead since those are kojimas only good games :smugbird:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

never beat mgs4, I should put that on the list

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The gameplay in four is really great

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tfw you are climbing a tall ladder in any game and the intro vocals from snake eater run through your head.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

mysterious loyall X posted:

make it snatcher and psychonauts july instead since those are kojimas only good games :smugbird:

:smugwizard:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i got the pc mgs5 so i could play with a new account and mods. for some reason when i picked it up again i kept controlling it like it was breath of the wild. also snake slides off of slopes like crazy. anyway its a good game.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I never had playstations as a kid so I missed out on mgs until ground zeroes came out and then I put like 120 some odd hours into it. I love it and MGSV so so much

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely put way more hours into ground zeroes than I did 5. Sometimes I wonder if it would’ve been better if they had skipped the full “open world” (most of which was just empty) in favor of more great set pieces like the camp in GZ

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zas posted:

i got the pc mgs5 so i could play with a new account and mods. for some reason when i picked it up again i kept controlling it like it was breath of the wild. also snake slides off of slopes like crazy. anyway its a good game.

Link being able to climb anything makes all other open worlds feel so restrictive to me now

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

July is end boss month.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I replayed MGS3 a few months ago and it's so loving good it's insane. V is a loving dream to play but it's so incomplete that you can't actually enjoy it save for a few small moments. 3 is the total package, start to finish.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

goferchan posted:

July is end boss month.
Wrong idiot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGSV is still muy excellente, there's like 25 missions that stick in my head from how fun they were. I like both maps a lot

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

American McGay posted:

I replayed MGS3 a few months ago and it's so loving good it's insane. V is a loving dream to play but it's so incomplete that you can't actually enjoy it save for a few small moments. 3 is the total package, start to finish.

3 does a really great job of balancing the comedy and the serious moments

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My favorite is the first one, after playing it for the first time recently. But Raiden's my favorite protagonist and Solid Snake is my least favorite.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

MGSV is still muy excellente, there's like 25 missions that stick in my head from how fun they were. I like both maps a lot

Yeah between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain I played it for like 200 hours. There's so much to mess around with that it rarely got stale. 3 is probably the most refined but V's gameplay is still unmatched imo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

playing phantom pain again after four years, the open world and base management definitely feels like a chore. but the fort and base designs are as good as anything in a metal gear, esp with the various stealth restrictions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The online FOB invasions were awesome, but I wonder how active/fun they are anymore.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One of the disappointing things is the FOB invasions are where the stealth was most challenging because you had laser grids, cameras, and cyphers when I don't think any area in the singleplayer had all those together. Phantom Pain needed a hard difficulty where all that stuff would get added into mission areas. At least infinite heaven fixed that if you're playing on PC

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In Training posted:

The missions are great and if you spend most of the game just going directly to and from those it is awesome. When you just explore the world it starts feeling empty.

I tried to add enemy patrols using infinite heaven but they were so buggy. Basically the game feels half finished because the other half would have been unplayable.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

The missions are great and if you spend most of the game just going directly to and from those it is awesome. When you just explore the world it starts feeling empty.

I tried to add enemy patrols using infinite heaven but they were so buggy. Basically the game feels half finished because the other half would have been unplayable.

I didn't mind the big empty spaces that much because it's a desert but I wish there were more unique structures like the dam, etc out there. I want some corridors for the real metal gear feel

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Inside code talkers mansion was pretty cool but I remember the camera being obnoxious

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I definitely put way more hours into ground zeroes than I did 5. Sometimes I wonder if it would’ve been better if they had skipped the full “open world” (most of which was just empty) in favor of more great set pieces like the camp in GZ
Yes, absolutely, 100 percent.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
How has 4 held up? I only ever played 3 and some of 1 but I remember there being crazy hype for 4 but then nobody ever talked about it after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

4 is good but definitely the weakest game in the series imo.