Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Bulgakov posted:

so this "marios maker too" thing...it sounds ok?

yo i'm makin a fuggen marios right now and its definitely ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tom Gorman posted:

yo i'm makin a fuggen marios right now and its definitely ok

eyy oooo im pipin' ere

:hmmyes:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I generally suck at level creation, but I am looking forward to making my way through the campaign and playing hot garbage online.

Also, the Hori Dpad joycon is pretty pro for this game

nintendo pro controller d pad is absolute poo poo and I still haven't seen photo proof that a ~revision~ fixed it

very close to spending a couple dozen dollars on that hori controller that has functional basic up right down left controls

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OK, if you can only have 32 downloaded courses at once (lame, btw, that number should be super high), are you at least able to favourite or star certain levels or creators? When I get this game next week, I want to play through the invitational levels, or at least keep them sort of bookmarked. Is there a way to do that?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have the game yet because work but in Mario Maker 1 you could follow creators yes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been using my PS4 controllers with this guy for a while now, it only works in docked mode but the D-pad on the DS4 is so much better than the Pro controller.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the best controller for this game? The pro controller dpad is proving to be not great.

Can I hook a snes controller up somehow?

Edit:I'm playing better with the control stick lmao

Completely serious, it's the 8-bitdo wireless USB adapter paired with a PS4 Dualshock 4 or your favorite non-Nintendo controller. My Dualshock 4 has the vibrators disabled because controller vibration is dumb, and I'd suggest everybody disable theirs as well. It's extremely easy, just cut the vibrator's red wire or pull it from the PCB with pliers.

All official Nintendo Switch controllers are total garbage for platformers or anything that needs serious d-pad use, which is a shame.

edit: ^^^ exactly like the poster above me said.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 28, 2019

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

eyy oooo im pipin' ere

:hmmyes:

nintendo pro controller d pad is absolute poo poo and I still haven't seen photo proof that a ~revision~ fixed it

very close to spending a couple dozen dollars on that hori controller that has functional basic up right down left controls

I broke down and did the tape fix for the pro controller d-pad. Surprisingly, it does work.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want people to know that I got a lot of activity on my first level and the game gave me a sweater with a gif of fried chicken on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, if you can only have 32 downloaded courses at once

I do not have the game yet, but huh?

DalaranJ posted:

Course bot has 120 slots in 'my courses' and 120 slots in 'downloaded courses'. Which is technically twice as many as SMM1.

The number 32 came up when somebody was talking about how many they could upload to begin with, and that number is way higher than what it starts out with from the first game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

If you play handheld, it cant be beat. It wont work docked, however, as it doesnt have its own battery

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, if you can only have 32 downloaded courses at once (lame, btw, that number should be super high), are you at least able to favourite or star certain levels or creators? When I get this game next week, I want to play through the invitational levels, or at least keep them sort of bookmarked. Is there a way to do that?

You upload 32, download 120

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I can see the controller setup for creating levels being extremely powerful and quick, but it's definitely not intuitive. Looking forward to getting the muscle memory down for building levels with it.

I am kinda bummed that you can't control the hand with the d-pad though, makes drawing straight lines of blocks a lot harder than it feels like it should be.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'd say that the limit probably increases with the hearts you get. At least I hope so as I had 70 stages uploaded by the end of MM1 :ohdear:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd say that the limit probably increases with the hearts you get. At least I hope so as I had 70 stages uploaded by the end of MM1 :ohdear:

As of right now it's set to 32 (regardless of heart amount) but I imagine they'll increase the limit after we get through the first week/month wave of people uploading everything that comes to their mind

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Spellman posted:

Mario Galaxy Maker for cool physics and Yoshi's Island-style levels

theres a mario 64 maker romhack, its not too complicated from what i've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZk4ggJkcc

maybe nintendo will do it too (lol)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Speaking of grip, I'm trying to figure out what the best way to hold the console is while making. I've got a stylus that I like, but holding the console in the air by the joycon (for access to the buttons) is going to make my left hand cramp up sooner or later. I could put the Switch down on the table, but I feel like that's just setting me up for neck pain instead. How are you all doing it?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What is a good/cheap stylus for the Switch and where can I buy it?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Novasol posted:

I broke down and did the tape fix for the pro controller d-pad. Surprisingly, it does work.

i've opened my pro at least a half dozen times trying to chase down the perfect tape fix but gently caress that noise

it got better, but it remains a fundamentally broken design :\

I dont understand how our uncles at nintendo personally messed that controller bit up so badly

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Spacebump posted:

I've been milling through this 10 pack for quite a while on all my devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHBVGOM/

It's 6 bucks for 10, and I've lost like 4 of them so it's been worth it to get more than one. They're nicer quality than you'd expect for 60 cents apiece. Prime shipping too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Spacebump posted:

any good capacitive stylus is apparently good to go. got mine from amazon but doesnt get here until tomorrow.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres a mario 64 maker romhack, its not too complicated from what i've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZk4ggJkcc

maybe nintendo will do it too (lol)

I just want to make and play endless DK '94 levels

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tom Gorman posted:

I've been milling through this 10 pack for quite a while on all my devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHBVGOM/

It's 6 bucks for 10, and I've lost like 4 of them so it's been worth it to get more than one. They're nicer quality than you'd expect for 60 cents apiece. Prime shipping too.

10 pack 10 fingers?

a little TOO convenient imo

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

For the people complaining about the joycon dpad: what sort of difference does a better one make?

I can definitely tell it's garbage, but I managed to beat Celeste with no problems regardless, so not sure if it's worth dropping a bunch of cash on a controller I only use for a few games unless it's a huge improvement.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

For the people complaining about the joycon dpad: what sort of difference does a better one make?

I can definitely tell it's garbage, but I managed to beat Celeste with no problems regardless, so not sure if it's worth dropping a bunch of cash on a controller I only use for a few games unless it's a huge improvement.

Quite honestly, for me, it's the difference between platformer games on the Switch being fun vs not.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I had a huge problem with accidentally nudging down on the Pro controller D-pad when playing New SMB U Deluxe which would make me ground pound mid-jump unintentionally. Maybe it's just my dumb sausage fingers, but I haven't had that issue with the DS4.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Big Mad Drongo posted:

joy cons are totally legit in there being four definitive directions to press by virtue of there being four buttons, even if it isn't exactly a nice functional dpad itself

it's the pro controllers that have a fundamentally busted design :\

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big Mad Drongo posted:

First, the Hori Dpad isnt a "bunch of cash", its $15 if you want the Mario one, $20 if you wan the Zelda or Pikachu one https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-C...162&sr=8-2&th=1

Secondly, its a huge improvement. I wont play any platformers without it. I'm concurrently playing through Mario 3 on NESFlix, NSMBUD, I'm always somewhere in a Broforce playthrough and now Mario Maker.

I actually dislike playing those games without it. Its the best $20 I've ever spent on my Switch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was hoping my Apple Pencil would work with Mario Maker 2, but it doesn't. I need to find a way to get the official MM2 stylus. :P

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

First, the Hori Dpad isnt a "bunch of cash", its $15 if you want the Mario one, $20 if you wan the Zelda or Pikachu one https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-C...162&sr=8-2&th=1

Secondly, its a huge improvement. I wont play any platformers without it. I'm concurrently playing through Mario 3 on NESFlix, NSMBUD, I'm always somewhere in a Broforce playthrough and now Mario Maker.

I actually dislike playing those games without it. Its the best $20 I've ever spent on my Switch

now im gonna get one more than ever :hai:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I said come in! posted:

I was hoping my Apple Pencil would work with Mario Maker 2, but it doesn't. I need to find a way to get the official MM2 stylus. :P

yah sorry friend. the apple pencil works great as heck but the things that work with the switch and other capacitive screens are basically extensions of the body holding them :shrug:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

slice off your pinky and mount it in a conductive toob

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

slice off your pinky and mount it in a conductive toob

.... this makes sense to me right now without coffee. :hmmyes:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I said come in! posted:

.... this makes sense to me right now without coffee. :hmmyes:

drink more and let the world of touch options unfold before you

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I do not like this Undodog, Luigi. It's smug aura mocks me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I spent three hours last night playing new and weird mario levels by nintendo, this game rules.

honestly nervous to get into Making

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah I haven't really touched Maker mode (beyond some advanced tutorials because I haven't played MM in ages) or User made levels yet, because Story Mode is actually a lot of fun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Argh Mario has a spinning ability that totally breaks some parts of the level I'm making in the 3D World setting :argh: I'm finding this out VERY LATE in my stage creation

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish this game had all power ups from the 2d Marios, at least for their themes.

How do you unlock the extra power up(s)?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, warning that if you hit delete on course world you aren't given a "are you sure" prompt :smith:

My first course that people seemed to like just died because I wanted to check all the death markers and I misclicked thanks to my d-pad, so I'm a bit heartbroken.

It's back up as 85K-34R-7MF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

might get that hori dpad joycon, but portable only is a big red flag for me. considering either modding myself or buying a premodded joycon with that dpad shell replacement thing. then agian, the dpad button i've managed to get quite used to using them as a dpad, works like a dpad now for me at least even tho sometimes the lack of any cross plastic in the middle can feel weird but hey its working okay.