Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pyramid Panic
F1Q-RS7-GVF

This is my first level attempt. Was trying to make a Pyramid, tomb raiding kind of thing. Each room has a P Switch puzzle, basically making it across a room while leaving enough coins to make it back across once the coins become the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I want to force the player to use boxes on rising lava, but I also want to force the player to not use the boxes and wall jump instead in certain areas. What's a good way to force the player to lose the box so they don't just cheese the wall jumping by standing on the box

A bomb or something that destroys a box? or maybe have the box continue to move in a direction where there's no room for player.

Also, is this dog in story mode the dog sound effect from the music-making portion of Mario Paint?!? Did they pull Mario Paint characters in here! I loved that game, surprised we never got another. I love the idea of taking those SNES icons and making them into characters. Is there the crybaby and cat too? Can I ride on that sweet bassy seaship?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Argue posted:

It's the same Undodog from Mario Paint! Not the music maker, the button you click to undo things.

Ohhhh okay. I had forgotten him I guess.

A level making question: Can I make BIG BLOX. I know I can make big enemies but I can't figure out how to do the bigass blocks. Wanting to make a level like SMB3 Giant zone. I also can't figure out how to make a pool of water... or any water. Didn't see any water button.

edit: P.S. The boot has a drat turnkey on it? Like, it's a mechanical shoe? I always thought it was like a little grabby hand or cartoon part of the shoe, not that the shoe was clockwork.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Could you do it between a springs?

button
shell
X

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just replayed my level from yesterday (F1Q-RS7-GVF) and man, I think I was on some Kaizo poo poo when I built it because I had a much harder time clearing it than yesterday. I only beat it this time because I took advantage of a speed-exploit someone pointed out. What's funny is that the hardest section is only that way because I thought the way I had it originally was too easy! I think I got so used to beating it, I kept making it harder. But the people who play it fresh are like going through my expert-level trap without any of the pre-amble. Clear rate is 1.12%. 5/444 mean 5 clears out of 444 lives, right? Only 39 people so far, so I'm grateful to whoever muscled through so many times! World record is 1 minute 30 seconds though, so Guminola seems to have the course down pat. I want to knock out some more level ideas and then revisit this one and refine it. I wish we had more doors/tunnels allowed. That or that we could "key hole" blocks so they can only be passed through with a key.

My second complete level is House on Haunted Molehill. I tried to do a better job of slowly introducing the concept and building on it. Trouble is I was just kind of went into this one blind, made some houses and settled on the Hill House idea that would lead to the interior. Inside it's a different but related type of puzzle to progress. There is also a secret alternate route allowing to bypass the "boss" floor. I used a Thwomp/switch mechanic on the sides to set up some traps that you can time to use against enemies. Let me know what you think or if everything at least works for you. I had to tweak things a bunch fixing "bugs" but I think I have it in a safe state with no soft-locks.

House on Haunted Molehill
M2C-L0X-26G

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Just made a level, it may or may not suck! Hopefully it doesn’t!

Time-Traveling Pipes
MGR-PNG-SYF

Mario travels to a post-apocalyptic future. It’s spooky!

(I wish I could find a way for it to mute the music immediately upon entering the sub-area. :()

The silence was a good call! I wish we had more control over the music in general, would be nice to theme it more personally. I played your level, I like the post-apoc idea in the subworld. There were a few jumps that could have been a little easier, took me a second to figure out to look for the blue time-travel pipe because the jump up there can only be made with a faster running jump.

Haha the hat you get for beating a level first is a pipe that kind of just looks like a PUA hat.

edit: People with images for their levels, is there a clean way to get pictures from Switch to PC or how's that going on?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 30, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What are some ways to make coins deadly? The only I have for deadly coins is using them as platforms you need after pressing a P switch, so that it becomes deadly having collected them. Any other trick with coins to discourage touching them?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kind of proud of this one and I think I stress-tested it pretty foolproof. Concept is a light puzzle level with a low gravity sub-level mirror of the main level. This kind of level is cool to do because making everything match forces you to think about your use of space and blocks a lot more than usual.

Lucid Slumberland 5CY-365-S0G

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

12G-16K-QHF - That belongs in a museum!

Indiana Jones themed short level. Grab the idol and runaway from the "boulder."

I had to fake the boulder with a sideways Thwomp, and my trap for activating it mean you can actually get away from it before it chases if you're fast enough. The other thing I tried was Big Mole in a narrow corridor, but felt weird and too many chances to just boop it. I also originally had Yoshi included as the "whip" but there's no way to apply Yoshi-Whip in that scene really.

Did they change something, I got 2 likes, 5 plays, and 2 comments without posting this online anywhere yet.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 16, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looper posted:

I'm still at work and won't get to play this until later but I've gotta say I'm impressed by your sense of aesthetics. I've seen a of people (including myself) complain about it being tough to get good course decorations going in the sm3dw theme but you're really getting the most out of it in your courses

That really was a good looking level! Was the end of it after that little heartbeat trap? I died to it in a panic before figuring it out, I'm assuming IO can consider it beaten if that was the onyl bit left? I really liked this honey/lava theme.

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is really cool!

I just uploaded a remake of one of my MM1 levels that I've been wanting to re-do:

This one was rad! I really like this on tracks theme. I think I just got inspiration for my next level, pow!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 16, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah that's the last part. Its just supposed to be another "oh poo poo" moment, but not actually dangerous since all you have to do is go right down the pipe to survive.

Problem is, I positioned the POW block and the warp block in such a way that you are likely to accidentally pick up the POW block while running into the warp block. then you drop the POW block when you warp, which triggers the bees, turning it from a "haha scary bees :)" moment into "oh I'm loving dead".

One of those little things you wish you could edit without having to delete a whole course.

That's a pretty cool thing nobody is gonna bother making for their puzzle levels.

There is a way to do minor edits, by copying your level, and then deleting the uploaded one. I did it for my Lucid Dreamland Level and even managed to make an alternate version. But yeah, you still gotta beat it all over again and retype and poo poo.

By the way, who the hell at Nintendo thought that "b" button means "x" as in "backspace," and "x" button means "go all the way loving back to nowhere without warning and deleting everything you typed"

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 17, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
N7J-H06-N8G- Shoeflyin' don't bother me.

Just a short level that I think is impossible to die on or get soft-locked in, using flying kuribo shoe to get across some gaps I made possible even for players who somehow never hold the run button.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Huxley posted:

I made a 20-second speed run level. Based off having played several dozen others, I would classify this one as relatively easy. Only one jump that occasionally got me deep into testing.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1155339646508752901?s=19

I don't know what ones you've been playing, but I think in your time playing them, you've become exceptionally good at these. I just gave this one my best tries for a good 15 minutes and while I eventually got the hang of the initial jump timing, and could somewhat consistently get the tricky canon hop into the switch area... the next section just seems crazy. Getting the clown car through that saw cave could take me 20 seconds by itself. It would take a lot of time just practicing a hop into the car if there were a checkpoint on the coin bridge platform to get through consistently. I did enjoy the flow of the pre on/off switch section when it was flowing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine there are many people here that do this, but I really prefer it when people don't just put 3 one-ups at the end of their course. Sure its being "nice" but it makes any work I did to collect coins/find secrets earlier in the stage feel totally pointless.

If I have a level that doesn't even have 100 coins hidden throughout it, I'll try to put a mini secret at the end that has two 50-coins and two mushrooms if you're paying attention or exploring.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
GNB-NBP-D5G. What is this level, what is the gimmick here? Like, one time I got 4/5 of the way through the blocks, just getting the mushroom and happening to hop in the right diagonal path upwards. I see there is a door in the upper right path... but it seems nearly impossible to do. Additionally, the world record is 3 seconds... so uhh what??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
7LK-HSQ-TKF - Snowpiercer

Finally uploaded my Snowpiercer level, kept waiting to find a streamer who has seen the movie. I wasn't able to fit the "darkness" scene but otherwise I got a lot of the recognizable moments. It's not a hard level by any means, more like an interactive tour of the movie. If you've seen the movie, you'll recognize a lot of stuff. I would encourage you to leave comments with quotes, the streamer who first cleared it added a line after a certain infamous moment that I thought made the room better. if you like, If you haven't, well, train levels are still fun I say.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 3, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
559-D10-XKF - Clapping Block Rush

I stumbled a fairly simple contraption that has been really fun to watch streamers play and figure out. Starts out with them almost thinking it's a troll thing but it's actually very fair. They're slightly mesmerizing and your normal jumping instincts can work against you. I'm tempted to remake it so that the "true ending" is actually required for a speedrun because right now it's extra risk for coins and 1ups which only matter in endless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spiffster posted:

It’s good but drat hard. Left a comment to give you a feel of what I was experiencing

That drawing is amazing, thank you. It's also hilarious seeing it on streams, it's perfect!

You can see part of it in this clip, I didn't realize this was a feature until now so I didn't capture their whole winning attempt. Warning: loud person playing.
https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtiveGeniusPangolinNinjaGrumpy

What's been interesting is how some people overcome it really quickly and others think it's a kaizo or troll level. However, waiting in line to showcase my levels, you see this absurd kaizo nightmares that take an hour+ of attempts so I think Clapping Block Rush is pretty fair. I think a full length vertical one would be the real nightmare version, instead of minimalistic as it is now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
HXB-D9S-MQG - Treasure in the Deep Dark Yonder

I wanted to make a water level that wasn't a drag and was fun to explore and play in. If nothing else, I think I made a really pretty level.

Use of Beetle Shell and Helmet makes water more fun in general. There's a true ending if you get and use the right keys and I also made the level speedrunnable once you learn the layout. I've watched someone play it now, and there's a couple of things I want to tweak and one softlock. I also didn't telegraph some things or teach mechanics like that you can move thwomps with the helmet on. I'm at the block limit for almost everything though so am mostly limited to adding arrows at this point. I think some players might not even think to go down into the "depths" using the pipes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
-

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
-

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the longest you've spent on a level only to completely delete it? I noticed that the night mode of the castle theme kind of creates a Kirby-like physics, in that you can float as much as you want but the enemies are still bound to the ground/normal gravity. So I spent a long time recreating Green Greens from Kirby's Dreamland. Really a pain in the rear end because the castle theme is incredibly anti-kirby. I wound up using looooong pipes and green mushroom platforms to make the kirby terrain. It didn't look great, but it was green! I managed to make the bomber miniboss fight from the first , or at least a room where you fight a thing and use bombs to leave. Was starting to see how I could make the Tree boss fight, but then actually went through the level and it just wasn't fun. To be fair, that level isn't very fun in Kirby either and Dreamland in general was cute but like, those levels aren't famed for their awesome platformer design. I've got a few scrapped or rough-draft levels I may or may not revisit, but that one I just straight up deleted. I only spent several hours on it in one night, but geez what a waste and in retrospect, awful idea.

That said, I am working on another level right now, where you go into the belly of something and it's night castle theme. You move like you're swimming, but enemies act normal gravity. Additionally, while it's underwater, it also has a seperate lava level you can set. Stuff like a dry bones shell will float on it, and enemies die in it. Fish do their burning splash up and down moves. Fish bones collapse instantly like above ground. Has anyone played or designed a cool level with that night-castle theme? So far the only novel thing I've go is using the rising and lowering lava level to create dangerous passageways where you have to hide in safe high ground/water.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I found that kirby level in the list! Simply by virtue of it not being a night castle level, it looked better and was more fun to play haha. Their solution for the star gap was also really cool and not something that coulda worked underwater. Thanks for giving me a heads up.

As for deleted levels, it's good y'all got something out of those scrapped projects. I got nothing useable, except a lesson in how pipes are poo poo substitutes for grass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woohoo! I finally got 3,000 points!

I also finished up this Waluigi Ware level. I wanted to make a Warioware type minigame collection. I used a parachute bob-omb to make a timer for each room. Scroll stop is really great function, I love it. Each room has a "minigame" that's usually one simple or quick action. It's not exactly the same structure as WarioWare, and at the end I kind of played with the idea of Waluigi not being as good at Warioware as his brother, as his own minigames go wrong and allow Toadette to escape.

NGD-RWJ-V9G - Waluigi Ware: Switched

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 17, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phantasium posted:

NGD-RWJ-V9G - Waluigi Ware: Switched
Oh this is super clever and satisfying, especially once I stopped being a moron and noticed the obvious door in the first room that my eyes kept glazing over for like six attempts for some reason.

Thank you for saying that! It took me a while to finally get the right restraint to make the puzzles to work in the right timeframe and simplicity. I really struggled putting that room in first. It was meant to be like a 1-1 set up with the standard blocks and goomba, but the door on top of the blocks is totally non-standard. I even for a while had that room as the like "tutorial/example" room before settling on making the start screen have the tutorial puzzle that can be reset to continue to the rest. I think it's fair for that door and set-up to be harder to miss, and the later callback room where you go in reverse and automatically "ninja-attack" when entering the room worked better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

My 1000'th playthrough of it makes me wish there were flags every few rooms so I didn't have to do the whole thing. :v: I realize that defeats the purpose, but I play games on easy.

That's a good point. I want to revisit this concept in another theme eventually and will definitely try to set up a checkpoint system. By the end I was so used to doing it all I lost track of how long it took to get there if you die. I wonder if there would be a good way to make it so a failed puzzle loses you a "life point," so you can fail 2 times but not die, just reset for the next puzzle. Then you die on third failure. Or just let you always progress but get the "bad ending" if you don't complete any given puzzle.

The Lobster posted:

Question: What does the tag, "Themed," mean to you?

I take it to mean the creator took care to weave the setting and gameplay together, with a pretty wide spectrum of what the themes can be between those things. A level that uses just a single tile, no-slopes line of blocks as the bare minimum for their levels platforming challenges is probably not themed. When it feels like the blocks and objects are purely functional, taken at face value, you never see a certain block as actually a grass tile, or glass in a spaceship viewscreen, or use your imagination to interpret, it's not themed. As a tag to use, a lot of great levels will necessarily be themed through design in some fashion, but if the theming is itself a focus of the level is when the tag is most appropriate. There are also levels created around a specific theme or idea, a base idea and the level is built out from that unifying concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007