Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hello everyone! I did not get Mario Maker 1 but I am excited to get in on the ground floor with 2!

Looking forward to sharing my creations and seeing what you all put together :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

HL6-1YF-2QF

Just finished up the level I've spent the past few days on! It's themed around exploring the insides of a whale (turns out doing that theme is not easy with the current tool set).

Not the toughest level ever, and I may go back and make it a little longer, but I'm glad to get something uploaded :)

Edit: Took the level down while I make some fixes/updates. Will upload the improved version soon!

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 1, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I liked the theming a lot, but there were some implementation problems. Getting up to the mouth was slow and as a result by the time I'm there most of the time at least one of the two hammer bros have dropped down to block the entrance. And with their hammers in water, they just become a wall. The first time you enter the stomach area, you cannot complete it due to delays in how things spawn. That makes the best solution collecting the star, running to the reset door, and then getting the key before that first star wears off. Just putting Bowser in the way with an infinite number of fireflowers is a pretty dull way to end things since you can't lose once you're there. There has to be some extra hook when you use Bowser as a boss fight; in this case the obvious path would be the rising swamp water which might force the player onto island during the fight.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the issue you mentioned with the stomach part but I was hoping it was just me not hitting the jump timing right. I'll tweak it.

You can outrace the water and make it in to the mouth before the water comes up, but there's also a hidden star before the hammer bros. If you don't use either, it's supposed to be a little annoying to get past them. I may still change it a bit though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I got a Markiplier level in expert and like the second challenge was a spiny block that I couldn't see a way to jump over. And every time you hit it it would do the little baby laughing noise.

What I'm trying to say is youtube celebs have garbage design sensibilities and the likes system is dumb.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

I just bought this and am excited to pick it up at Target on the way home. Is everyone using a stylus to create levels? The Giant Bomb quick look made it sound like it was pretty mandatory. If so, which one is a good one? I don't know anything about styluses.

I got a stylus from walmart for 99 cents and it is doing the job adequately. Honestly though I use my finger a lot too and it's mostly fine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It wasn't until I was about to upload my level that I noticed you can drag out the little line at the bottom to extend the level boundaries. Apparently I was only using like a third of the potential space?? :psyboom:

Have people been running up against the size limits on these? How do they compare to the first game?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

This level has taught me that there are large portions of the back of the banzai bill that have no hitbox. Keep sliding right through them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I finally made a level I'm proud of so I'm posting this bitch.

YMH-HHY-V7G
Going Down The Big Tree

Not the sort of course that should give anyone much trouble. A simple descent into a tree with some tiny challenges and optional pink coin collecting along the way.

I liked it! The little underwater section I thought was a neat cap to the level.

My one small nitpick: The level starts with you at the water level, then you're dry in the tree, then you're in the water again. I don't really have any issue with part of the tree being underwater, but maybe having the starting pipe a little higher (or even using some cloud blocks to make it seem like you're starting really high up and working your way down) would make more sense?.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

versus mode is a mess

Turn on your Switch.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Couple things:

1) ok, so due to endless mode, it DOES make sense to hide 1-ups throughout a level? I mean, a normal amount of course. I figure otherwise, 1-ups are completely and totally pointless.

Yeah. I think a good policy is to have 1 hidden 1-up, enough coins for at least one additional 1-up, and then the ability to get a 1-up at the end of the level. Obviously there are other options you can mix and match, but the point is if a player does EVERYTHING they should be able to nail 3 extra lives over the course of the level. Or, they can still get 3 lives by dying 1/2 times and doing one objective multiple times.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

How do you guys generally approach giving players powerups while still maintaining difficulty? A fire flower can lead to some interesting mechanics, but now you have to consider you just gave the player 2 extra hits before death.

I've seen a couple levels where it'll be something like a path that only small mario can traverse, forcing you to take hits before progressing. I don't love that though, it slows down the pace and I don't think it's fun to be faced with unavoidable damage...

Pits are an obvious solution, as they'll kill you no matter what.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tnega posted:

Depends on what difficulty you are aiming for, do you want super expert? Just don't give the player powerups, if they need to shoot something put them in the clowncar. If you are aiming for Expert or lower, Just give them the powerups, the level isn't as easy as you think it is.

Right now I'm aiming for the upper end of normal. You're probably right though, I do tend to over-estimate the average Mario player :P

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tnega posted:

Oh yeah, def put those powerups in, Worst case if you added routing choices for cool speedrunners. Upload what you got so far? (Unless you are still in pre-production)

I threw up an early version of my level a couple days back but I took it down because I wasn't happy with it.

The theme is exploring the insides of a giant sea-creature, starting by going down a pipe (the creatures throat) and avoiding acid in the stomach before it can dissolve you! Currently I'm working on building out the "intestines", which will be a dry shell boat tour through tight acid pools. I'm still trying to think of how to make fun/challenging sections that require you to stay in the shell.

I'll probably have the "finished" version (assuming I don't decide to go back and change things again) up in a couple days.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there a way to change the "Finish level while carrying 'X'" condition? I wanted to make one where you have to be holding a stone, like in the story mode, but it was defaulting to koopa shell.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

You can't make stone carry levels (yet).

Ah...thanks for the response.

Really weird that they would feature a mechanic so heavily in the story mode that you can't actually implement yourself...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tnega posted:

Put the on/off switch on the exit of the pipe?

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. Just have the exit pipe be blocked off by switch blocks with an on-off switch right nearby. If it's the right state, no problem the player just keeps going. If not, they have to hit the switch which will guarantee the correct state going forward.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

acems posted:

How do you even unlock the super ball?

What they said but also the purple toad's first mission is to the right of the castle. I completely missed it because I never moved from the center area.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Overhauled a bunch of my stage today because inspiration struck. I'm about 75% of the way through the updated version and am REALLY excited about how it's coming together :) I've found some really neat uses for the snake blocks I hadn't seen before...

Hopefully should be able to put the finishing touches on tomorrow and get it uploaded!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm starting to realize I can't make levels interesting when they aren't moderately challenging.

How I add interest to my levels is always to just put in a tricky situation. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but most people suck at this game so it makes my levels inaccessible. If I try and make an intentionally easy one its either dull or I muck it up adding "a little bit of challenge".

Make the levels you find fun, don't worry about anyone else. There are plenty of people out there who want the challenge and I'm sure they'll be grateful, even if it doesn't get seen by the masses.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finally got my level completed!

Mario in the Whale

0QS-1LC-CCG

The local whale has a case of tape-worms...Help Dr. Mario make a house call!

This was a real challenge to put together, and of course there are elements I'm not 100% happy with. I think the theme is something rather unique though, hope you enjoy!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I realize memers gonna meme but the "x-gang" thing is so unfunny and spammed everywhere that it makes me want to play with comments off entirely.

Which is a real shame because before this obnoxious meme was a thing I really liked playing with comments.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

Nuclear fire from the Great Mushroom War has irradiated this once peaceful river. Now that the dust has settled and Bowser's forces lay dead, go and reclaim nature by cleansing this:

Toxic Tributary
DJW-3LX-6LG

Fun platforming challenges! I liked how you were able to use the floating platform to provide some unique obstacles. At one point the platform actually split in two though...I assume that's not supposed to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

No. I'm assuming a switch must have been triggered while the cannons were on either side of a hidden one way door. Was it right after the "miniboss"? That's the only place where I can imagine that happening.

Sorry, haven't been able to go back to it to get a screenshot. There's one part where you have to jump over a stationary platform that the moving platform travels beneath. Above is one or two switches, hitting one of those switches is what caused the platform to spit in two. I don't know that it's worth worrying about, it seemed like a weird fringe case.