Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
This game loving owns but man do I not like the "no jumping or airtime" challenge levels in the story. Those are no fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm really looking forward to playing all the levels in the spread sheet and then trying my hand at a couple of my own. I can't stop thinking about Mario!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Made my first level: Treetop Tryout. Messed around with the trees from the 3d World tileset because I really love that set and want to do more with it. This one is pretty simple and shouldn't be too challenging. Code is HG2-034-2KF.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Alright, just finished my second level:

Boom Boom's Hideout.
PRF-JML-XPG

Mario has tracked Boom Boom to his fortress. There's nowhere to run now!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I always have at least 100 coins, one hidden one up, a way to get the top of the flag pole, and one visible but challenging one up opportunity like eight enemies to bounce off .

Yeah this is where I'm ending up as well. I think I'm going to end up putting 4 or 5 in each course in total and let you find em or choose which ones you want.

Intl Cron posted:

As promised, here's some feedback on levels I've been churning through from the super-awesome Random Acts of Mario randomizer utility.

If anyone hasn't checked out that link/the spreadsheet of Goon levels, I highly highly recommend it as a way to experience actually sane Mario Maker levels. It's been a lot of fun, and it's also given me a ton of ideas for my own courses!

Seeing how much you liked Boom Boom's Hideout made my day yesterday. Thank you!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What does playing on handheld vs docked matter? Latency on a TV?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How do you get music to play constantly? When I move away from the trigger it fades away and the original track starts again. I know you can pin a track to Mario to have it play for the whole level, but I want a boss theme to come in during the final segment only.

I make columns of the sound about six blocks apart across the area I want the song to play in.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
You ever have a level that sounds good on paper then totally falls apart in execution?

That was my jam level. Back to the drawing board. :negative:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lost City of Sobekoopa
Course ID: SQV-YJ6-2LF
Difficulty: Medium
Multiplayer Friendly: Probably not

This was originally my Jam level for this week, but I didn't really end up using switches that much, so I just went with my own direction on it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lastdancer posted:

Visually the level design was great! Good flow in the first half, the second half is definitely more challenging. The section in the picture below with the coins at the bottom caused my first death, which felt cheap to me. The part with the Magikoopa was cool in that I was small Mario but the Magikoopa's wand hit a block that bestowed me a Super Mushroom. I was too much of a weenie to try for the high flagpole route at the end :P

I was worried about something like that happening with the two layers for platforming in that part. I didn't even think of how that would look from above like that. I need more level design practice, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Nope. You'll just pass right through them occasionally even if you're coming almost straight down. And the timing on jumping out of them changes with every swing of the wind. Even in puzzles, they jiggle what they're moving a bit randomly and getting things out of them can be iffy as a result.

On the rankings of best to worst additions in MM2 it's:

1. Snake blocks
103. Whirlwinds
104. Meowser
105. The car

Number 1 should be the desert theme. :colbert:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

NofrikinfuN posted:

The SNES desert theme is amazing.

I actually think the tileset and the music don't really gel that well! But I'm in the minority on that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lobster posted:

If it makes you feel better, most of my levels are in Endless Normal?

How do you know where they're ranking? Just guessing based on clear percentage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lobster posted:

Yeah; but also apparently you can download them and it tells you.

I'll have to try that then.