Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is it possible to place a koopa walking to the right instead of to the left? (in SMB3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
GVL-H6F-T8G

I mario maked a level. Messing around a bit with see-saws.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any way to get a shell moving automatically in 3D world?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Asema posted:

Springs will from my understanding

Is there any way to turn a koopa into a shell, then, without Mario helping? Bob-ombs seem to kill them entirely rather than leave a shell behind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Q_res posted:

I'm trying my hand at making a stupid simple level and since I never played MM1 I'm having an issue I've not been able to figure out how to solve. When I place a coin on a visible ? block it defaults to multiple coins. Invisible is defaulting to one coin, I haven't been able to figure out how to change that behavior.

A ? block with nothing in it gives a single coin I believe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
P3M-NRR-7HG

A level based around bouncing off of enemies being suspended by twisters. It turns out that those jumps are pretty hard to make so I just embraced it and made a hard level. It's pretty short though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tnega posted:

See the Saws GVL-H6F-T8G
Really fun to speedrun, if the EXTREME koopa jumps were intentional, good work. (also, lol at the shellmet)

They were not and I have no idea what they even are, I guess I gotta replay my own level to figure it out. Glad the unintended thing was fun, not bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Defenestrategy posted:

A Salty42 Tribute.

74R-G6C-LQF

Made a troll level paying homage to my favorite troll level. It's medium difficulty, I'm aiming for something between three and five deaths per check point if you've never touched a troll level, its possible to one shot if you've played a few of these kinds of levels before. Would like feed back on this if you play it.

I've been looking forward to playing troll levels for probably over a year of watching CarlSagan42 stream while not owning a Wii U. Feels good to finally play one. Maybe half of the trolls made me laugh when I died to them. Dying to the classic kaizo block jump trap just isn't fun or funny even if you're looking to be trolled. I'm a bit torn on the bowser fire spam in the first half--on the one hand bowser fire is usually garbage, but on the other hand you gave infinite mushrooms so it wasn't really threatening and evoking the atmosphere of jank without actually being jank is a powerful aesthetic for troll levels to have

Gave you a like to get the level into endless mario

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
RSY-6GM-9SF

night time desert chomps

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DorianGravy posted:

I made an airship level! Bowser's fleet is on its way to the Mushroom Kingdom. Board Bowser's flagship and put a stop to it!

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
H0T-H7J-XSG
(Note: the second character is a zero.)

This is my first level, so I'd love some feedback. Let me know if any parts are too hard, seem unfair, or could otherwise be improved. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

There's lots of great stuff in this thread. I'm looking forward to playing more levels here.

My only complaint is I hate bowser fire and wish it didn't come with every bowser. Good level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

M63-1B4-SYF

night time desert chomps

Nobody played this and I think it's about to fall off with no likes so I'll describe it a bit more like I should have done the first time

SMB1 chomp-themed platformer in the night desert (so wind pushing you back). I put a lot of thought into the aesthetics so comments on that specifically would be appreciated. I intended it to be a few deaths per checkpoint so let me know if I hit the difficulty target.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 30, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Gave it a play. The giant Chomps you go into are adorable, but the thing that killed me the most was actually the damned wind while riding the snake block. SMB1 Mario just feels really slippery... anyway, it didn't stop me from enjoying the level.

Thanks for the first like to get it into endless

I had a snake block instead of a skull platform because skull platforms are only 4 wide and I wanted it to not be hard to stay on the platform. But 5 blocks still isn't very wide, does anybody know if there's a way to widen snake blocks? That'd be important enough I'd edit and re-upload.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did you take the level down? Code isn't working for me.

I widened the snake block that came up and just finished reuploading.

M63-1B4-SYF

e: and it'd be nice to get the first copy of chomp shrine removed from the table

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Cheetah7071: See the Saws

Interesting stage! I liked how you gradually taught the player how things worked. It took a while for me to figure out I wasn't actually supposed to have the thwomp catapault me and just instead wait til it's going back up to take a running jump up the see saw. That second part is probably way harder without the helmet. 4/5

I considered the catapult but couldn't figure out a way to enforce using it. It's pretty small so I'm not sure there's any way to make it so it gets you to a spot that a normal jump can't. Maybe something where doing it with a jump is tricky but the catapult gets you into exactly the right height

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there anyway to place where a background detail is (like the grandfather clock on the Super Mario 3 ghost house theme) or is completely random based on how long a run of ground tile is made?

It seems to be random but if you move a ground block with a detail on it the detail will move too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anybody have a level sitting at 0 likes after a day? I'll play it and like it (unless it's garbage) to get it into endless

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

karma_coma posted:

I'd love to know your thoughts regarding Abyss Castle, PW9-W07-TPG

A bit easy for my tastes but plenty of people like that difficulty level. The no gimmicks bowser fight at the end was a bit weak. Still I liked it and gave it a heart to get it into endless

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

The problem is I'm basically ignoring what's coming up in the thread because I can't keep up with it whatsoever, so I'm just going through the spreadsheet in order which means I might get to the people posting stuff today by like Friday at this rate.

Yeah that exact problem is why I made my offer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did SMM1 ever get consistent notation for "fire a fireball here" for fast paced levels? Like how creators would put in a track of a specific shape to indicate a twirl or a big Z to indicate a spin jump

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hansolio posted:

If you don't mind giving some feedback, I made this trash:

"full speed is sometimes bad" is extremely not my cup of tea but then all the jumps were doable at top speed so it all worked out. A few things:

I personally think running is fun, and a good level shouldn't punish the player for having fun. The spring and fish were kind of trash (even though they didn't catch me)
You don't actually ever need to jump on a spiny the entire level. You can get over the spike hills just with big jumps, and you can get a shellmet from the cannon and damage boost over the munchers instead of spinning on the shell
The cannon is off the top of the screen unless you specifically jump to scroll the screen up. I'd lower it by one block so that it's on-screen (and will fire) just by standing on the floor beneath it.

Still gave it a like to get it into endless.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

I've created a complex structure of interwoven paths, I'm down to making the last challenge for the player, and I run headlong into the engine breaking on me.

So what I'm doing is locking stars behind thwomps, they're the only solid structure that blocks the stars and is vulnerable to invincibility. So far so good. The problem is that the game despawns thwomps when you're two screens away, but not the stars. So when you enter an area, the star is trapped. When you double back through it like I've designed my stage for, the star can be anywhere.

I guess I'm rebuilding this around the thwomps covering question blocks that contain the stars, but that reduces the urgency...

Try having the penultimate challenge end in a door that takes you straight to the room with the thwomps and loads everything at once.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Good Sphere posted:

This is my first Mario Maker experience, and I’m sort of stumped if there’s a way to trigger and explosion in SMB1 to blow up bricks. Anyway I can trigger this with a sliding Koopa shell? I tried putting babombs in a brick, but that that just makes it come out when a shell hits it.

Put a bob-omb in a spot where it won't move (e.g surrounded on all sides by blocks). If you want the explosion to be automatic, use a block on a track to crush it. If you want Mario to trigger it, put a ? block beneath the Bob-omb. I think if you put a muncher into the ? block the explosion will be instant.

There's more ways to do it but those are thre easiest I'm aware of

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember watching videos of speedrun levels in SMM1 where the stage was constantly exploding behind you as you moved through the level. I know the easiest way to detonate a bob-omb on a timer is to have a block on a track crush it. But in SMM2 I can't seem to overlay the bob-omb onto a square occupied by the track without having it ride the track--if I place the track first the bob-omb rides it and if I place the bob-omb first the track deletes it. Am I missing something? I know I can have the block move off the track a bit to crush the bob-omb but that limits the shapes I can use for the actual active part of the course.

Alternatively, are there any other things I'm missing for stages that force you to run at top speed like that?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

I came across a level yesterday in Normal Endless with a 500 second timer that was literally just one single Kaizo style jump of "grab shell, jump and bounce shell off wall, jump on shell to make it over the very high wall" and an exit right after that.

I made it with like 25 seconds left.

That level got a Boo from me.

why would you boo that. Just skip it. Since boos can actually cause a level to be hidden, you shouldn't boo good levels that aren't your cup of tea. Shell jump practice levels are important and I would have loved to get that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely contraptions you can make that flip a switch if its blue but not if it's red. For example, a thwomp above a dotted line block above a switch. It's definitely possible to do more complex shell-based ones that don't require Mario to be within the activation range of a thwomp

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe it persists through everything but death

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm looking for help on a contraption I'm working on.

I want a contraption where, if you fire a power ball (same properties as a fire ball but it goes at different angles) in the right spot, it causes a shell to race off. Here's what I've been able to come up with:

There's two problems. One is the shell fires to the left, but that's not a big deal, I can design the level around that. The second is that bob-bombs take forever to detonate. This is a speedrun level, where Mario's going to be racing by at top speed. Even if I replace the entire bottom floor with left-facing conveyer belts Mario is long gone by the time the bomb explodes. Are there any setups that can accomplish this faster?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For those of you who enjoy timed speedrun levels, what are your thoughts on checkpoints in them? Obviously they remove the timer pressure and allow people who want to take things slower without worrying about the timer to do so. But does having that option feel like it cheapens the level for the people who do like nailing the full 50 seconds start to finish?

The level I'm working on would need kinda jank checkpoint setups because it's a super ball-based speedrun so I need a setup that gives you a super ball from checkpoint but doesn't refresh it for you if you just run through (since I want the start-to-finish challenge to include not losing it). I've figured one out but as I said it's kinda jank.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tnega posted:

First off, ask yourself what the timer adds to your level. “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'" I am pro checkpoint in general however.

The theme of the level is making sick superball trickshots as you run by at top speed (helpfully marked where to shoot) that set up the level you're about to run into perfectly. If you slow down and line up your shots carefully it still works but in my mind it would feel way less sick.

I do intend to get feedback on whether the idea is even fun before I throw it out into the wild but the timer is serving a purpose.

e: and I suppose while I'm getting feedback I can just have the checkpoints in and see if anybody finds that the level is actually less fun when starting from checkpoint

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished the first revision of my Superball Speedrun stage, Superb All
PWM-JQV-7VF

This is the kind of stage that I'm 100% sure has jank that I was blind to as the creator. I'm hoping to get some feedback, improve it, and then submit it to the spreadsheet. Please don't Like it yet even if you do like it, I don't want to inflict it on endless until it's been de-janked

The level is (intentionally) quite difficult but should still be easier than a true kaizo. If it's actually at kaizo difficulty then that's something I need to fix and is valuable feedback.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Is there anything that leads to levels getting played by randoms more? The first few days my 3 levels were getting played a bunch, my new level from yesterday seemed to not get any random people playing it.

The system is apparently that the "new" tab is the only place in-game that shows levels with 0 likes. So you need to get someone to like your level, at which point it will start showing up in endless and such.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My blitz theme was desert with mushrooms and clouds. So I made

SA Blitz Jam: Flip the Shroom
DN8-KCV-0KF

I didn't quite hit the half-hour cheetah speed (despite my username...) but I hit the hour timer with plenty to spare. Level should be fairly easy because it doesn't kill you when you screw up (...usually). The idea could be made into a very trollish kaizo stage but this one just did the most basic ideas with it and didn't go for anything tricky.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My take on the jam is that you should role for style not theme (e.g. SMB1/3/W etc). The theme of the level should be the same for everyone and you should get a randomly rolled subtheme to work in with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey so this is my final level for a bit. A goon asked for water levels and I hope to deliver a bit late. You'll be both above water and below it in the Porcupuffer Pond

I'd like some thoughts as I'm not quite used to making water levels myself and hoping I did alright :shobon: It's pretty straight forward and there's a goofy little extra path at the end if you feel like hanging around.

The most surprising part of this post is that somebody wanted to play a water level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ryu's level is like 95% incredible kaizo fun but without kaizo tricks like shell jumps--just tricky platforming, all super fun.

The other 5% is a kind of lame boss fight and that loving spiny jump

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, it really was about as fun as a kaizo level can be. I had a lot of fun dying over and over and over and over and over before finally getting to the end.

Also I probably would have taken 3 times as long to beat it if not for those two blocks above the boss' head being next to each other (one red and one blue) that you can stand still in the middle of and not worry about falling, even though they switch automatically every couple of seconds.

Yeah the boss was kinda lame but not that hard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent like three hours beating Carlsagan42's level it turns out I love kaizo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I spent hours grinding ryukahr's second kaizo level and only got about halfway

I hate 3D world now and continue to hate Mario walljumps after experiencing Rayman ones

I'm probably gonna dump even more hours into it though despite everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anyway to set up a note block so it stays globally loaded? Trying to use a noise as a sound indicator for an ON/OFF mechanism but while I keep the contraption loaded I can't figure out a way to make a note block stay loaded.

I think if it's on a track it'll be globally loaded but that would probably ruin the contraption you have going