Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Got to play an hour of MM2 before bed last night, haven't touched the actual making of levels yet. Is it worthwhile or useful to pick up a stylus for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I've been using my PS4 controllers with this guy for a while now, it only works in docked mode but the D-pad on the DS4 is so much better than the Pro controller.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Big Mad Drongo posted:

For the people complaining about the joycon dpad: what sort of difference does a better one make?

I can definitely tell it's garbage, but I managed to beat Celeste with no problems regardless, so not sure if it's worth dropping a bunch of cash on a controller I only use for a few games unless it's a huge improvement.

I had a huge problem with accidentally nudging down on the Pro controller D-pad when playing New SMB U Deluxe which would make me ground pound mid-jump unintentionally. Maybe it's just my dumb sausage fingers, but I haven't had that issue with the DS4.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I having a stupid problem placing just a koopa shell in maker mode, I can do a beetle or a spiny shell but not an empty koopa shell. Am I being an idiot?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Just uploaded my first level, babby's first Mario level.

YWP-GLF-PBG

Looking for a little feedback, this is kind of a first draft. It's not meant to be too tough, I just like chaining spin jumps.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

someone awful. posted:

I think when you create this kind of level, it's easy to undersell the difficulty of it because you created it. You know exactly what each jump is asking, and where the next Spiny is going to be, and how long you need to hold the jump button down for to get there.

As for me, I only made it past the chain of Spinies once in about a half hour of playing. Admittedly, I could just be really bad. :sweatdrop:

It's incredibly likely that I watch too much kaizo and my sense of difficulty is gravely miscalibrated. Thanks for the input, I do think the max distance blind spinjump is a little much.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I made a quickie vertical level, it's got two paths, it is named Michael Douglas.

5C9-3CP-2FG

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah, I would prefer if any goons stream SMM2 that they post it in the thread so people can watch their levels being played.

Also, I'm not sure how Twitch works with recording the stream, but saving those videos so that people can go back and watch their levels being played would be good too I think.

I'll stream some goon levels later this night, around 9:45-10pm pst at https://twitch.tv/cactusgalactus

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ultrachrist posted:

Am I blind or is there no way to place a koopa out of its shell?

None that I have found, it's really stupid.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Look I just wanna create a level where you have to race a naked koopa to his shell to make one big jump before the exit.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm having a heck of a time with this switch jam, I've got a contraption that shoots a beetle shell to trigger a series of switches followed by some springs that loops the activity. I need some way for the player to stop the loop but I can't figure out how.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I made a new one to play around with Thwomps, I think it turned out OK.

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1146648462823284737

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I think I'm using too many Thwomps

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1147961355581833216

Fixed code

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Naked pipes need to be censored for the children, and boos are the only only way to prevent their innocent eyes from seeing them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Okay, no more Thwomp levels, starting now.

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1148461679258173440

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dork457 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8zqsZb9T0

I'm gonna be banned from mario maker

If you get banned, it was worth it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr Pepper posted:

Anybody want to look at this level?

Thwomp O'Clock
44L-Y56-0YG

On my first run through I kept the cat suit until after the first pipe and used it to climb my way up the semi-solid walls at the start of the next section.

Right into a Thwomp that hadn't unscrolled yet.

Live by Thwomp, die by the Thwomp I guess.

But it was fun, I don't typically like autoscrollers and this was a good one.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I made a multiplayer race level, each player gets their own copy of the course to work through. Trying to make a checkpoint that each player could use and then direct them back to their course was really hard to figure out, so there are no checkpoints.

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1150581206854934528

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Random Stranger posted:

I would go down the same pipe as the person with the highest rating and try to shove them into hazards.

I had thought about that, but you're just going to lose to someone else going full speed. So, great job playing yourself?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I think the biggest part of getting "good" at Endless mode is just being able to identify what levels should be skipped before your lose a life (or several).

You could throw 100 difficult Mario levels at a veteran player and they could reasonably clear all of em first try. You throw 100 difficult Mario Maker levels at the same player and I bet they struggle with many of em. Playing Mario Maker endless doesn't just require you to understand how to play Mario, you have to understand course design. Specifically, being able to identify bad course design. Which sounds easy but think how often you end up blowing through tons of lives on some mediocre course instead of just skipping it right away.

Its a weird skill that I don't think I've ever seen a game require before. Endless mode is pretty unique in that regard.

To this point, if I'm playing endless and I don't see coins I make a bet that the creator hasn't included 1-ups either and skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DalaranJ, I updated one of my levels, Descent into the Thwomp cistern and it's got a new code, can you update the sheet with P4L-M3J-DWG?

it fixes a potential way to block your own progress and also fixes some unfair blind Thwomps.