Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is gonna be a hard work day to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You know, I was under the impression that the jobs in story mode would include actually building stages. Apparently not :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, the quality of courses in Endless Mode is impressively poo poo.

I have a question for level makers: how can you stand to do this? Every time I try to make a level I end up staring at the screen for a while, placing some random blocks in geometric shapes, adding fun noises, then getting overwhelmed and quitting or going to play Course World instead. Is this normal? Am I broken? Is Level Design Anxiety a real thing?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really understand the point of uploading a level unless you’re planning on sharing it outside of the game’s listings themselves. Discovery fuckin sucks for new, non-Top40 stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Difficulty is the least of our problems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Made a really simple (though not necessarily easy) bumper themed level. Shouldn't take long to get through. Try it out and let me know what you think.

basic bump-o (v0.0.1)
8QL-R4B-38G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DalaranJ posted:

I hate bumpers, so I don't know that I'm the best person to analyze this, but here goes. It has a simple but solid kishotenketsu form which I liked. You might want to put a powerup right after the flag, unless you want the final challenge to be one hit.

poo poo, that’s a good point. I’ll add a mushroom/flower between the bubbles.

quote:

Also, SMB3 unfortunately does not have a flagpole challenge. I wasn't a big fan of the jump at the edn (but again I hate bumpers), perhaps you could have a single bumper jump up to the goal with additional jumps off to the left side that lead to a platform with a 1up?

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more that end section seems out of place for the level. The rest of the level is more about staying on a bumper instead of chaining jumps. Plus, there’s no point if there’s no platform challenge. I’m probably going to remove it and use it elsewhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Basic Bump-o - Pollyanna
Exactly what you advertised. A pretty simple and straightforward level with bumpers. I was kind of surprised by it's clear rate as I thought that it was easy but eh :v: .

Yeah, it’s harder than it looks.

quote:

Only thing I can suggest is some coin indicators or something similar. Early in the stage you can launch yourself up to two semi solid mushrooms, red and green. If you go up there I had no idea if it was safe to jump or not and wound up falling in front of the goomba and taking a hit. There was a couple small things like that that just made navigation more tense than probably intended.

Gahhhhhh balls you’re right, can’t believe I missed that. That’s even why I used a Paratroopa in the first place. Maybe I’ll replace them with parachuting Goombas.