Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I'm new to mario maker and just uploaded my first level yesterday. 5 minutes after I uploaded it I got a notification that it received a few likes and even two positive comments! It made me happy, and I was hoping more people would eventually play it.

Looking at it now though, it seems I haven't gotten a play since the initial 30 minutes after my upload yesterday. Is this just how it works, or did I do something wrong by making the level too easy? It has an 80% clear rate. I wanted to make a nice friendly level that my wife could enjoy :3

If anyone is interested in giving it a try, here is the code:

1V0-YXJ-2PG

Feedback or suggestions would be appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

J-Spot posted:

I don’t think you did anything wrong by making an easy level if that’s what you want to make. The general player base isn’t very good at all and people are more likely to like a course if they complete it so a good easy level can do fine. The fact is that most courses just do not get a lot of plays if you’re just relying on people to find them in game. Those plays you got in the initial 30 minutes would come from people browsing the new tab but after that there’s not a lot of ways a level can be discovered. Since you got some likes you’ll get served up in endless but there are millions of levels you’re competing with. Mostly you have to hustle your levels by submitting to streamers or posting in online forums like Reddit’s level exchange thread. I also recommend leaving a like on all courses you play unless they are truly horrible because you can sometimes get reciprocal plays that way.

I thought your level was pretty good for being both an easy level and a first attempt. The coin hunt is a good way to keep the level engaging without being difficult and the layout was nicely done.

Perfect, thanks for the good info and giving my level a play. Time to get to work on the next super easy level!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

J-Spot posted:

There’s a new ninji speedrun up. I was able to get a 35.5 but there’s some room for improvement. The piranha creeper section is really annoying.

this is the first Ninji i've tried. turns out I found this level with the cat suit incredibly addicting, and i ended up grinding for like 3-4 hours over the last 2 days. 32.818 is my best time for now. i think i can get in the low 32's, but these jumps are starting to get pretty precise. the plant part is hard, and i feel like im really sub-optimal at the part right after the key. not really sure how i should be jumping there.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Udenpah posted:

I had trouble beating 40s until I saw panga's speed run which gave me an idea of a route that I tailored to my considerably lower skill level. Sitting at 34.680s, but I've seen goon times that a good bit quicker. Quite like this course, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnwzMqvhIak&t=1726s

Yeah, Panga's run helped me out a lot too. Using some of those strats I got my time down to 31.775. I botched a few runs at a slightly faster pace, but I think I'm happy with leaving it there. I had a lot of fun with this one. Now it's time to get back to making levels!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Prowler posted:

Missed the stream, my building caught on fire!

I just finished my second vanilla-style platforming level in SMB3 called "Mush Rush 2 the Sky", a sequel, of course.

KB6-XKP-J9G

I took the feedback I received from my first level and made an optimized path through the level, so it's actually easy to clear in under 35 seconds. Or take your time and enjoy the level, which is probably SMB3 world-5 level difficulty.

That level is real good. I like the vibe/aesthetic and the difficulty is perfect for me. I died a few times but it was always my fault.

I made 2 new levels that hopefully aren't too bad:

"poached yoshi eggs" - K07-Y2X-DYF

Save yoshi from the poachers in SMW.

"boop'n goombs at the orchard" - FDB-C8W-DYF

Simple level with some goombas to jump on. Really easy and short. Meant for kids or people new to mario.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Phantasium posted:

Well I wanted to make something vaguely in that theme I missed but it didn't seem right to do it legit... so I made a fake.

Hot Counterfeit Mountain: 0M9-H0X-D8G

Nice level, I liked it! I kept getting clipped by those lava bubbles in the bomb detonation section, which made me mad, but I just needed to be patient with my jump timings.

So somehow my first level got popular suddenly and I logged in and saw 800 plays! With new motivation to crank out the stages, I made:

snowshi's fiery cable car

JTN-7R3-HDF

I'm proud of it and think it's an improvement on my first attempt. So it's been sad watching my maker score go down as everyone that has played it seems to be booing it lol. Someone tell me what i did wrong!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish there was an easier way to search because I now want to play literally every 1-1 remix. I'm hooked. I recently played "1-1.exe has encountered an error" and thought it was great.

I think it'd be neat if all of us goons tried our hands at a 1-1 remix/adaptation. Something more than just doing the level in a different style. The one where it was rotated 90 degrees was fantastic.

Yeah those can be real good. I don't know if I'm creative enough to come up with anything, but I want to give it a try when I get off work tonight.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

1-1 , but the blocks are slightly misplaced because I couldn't remember where they went

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

jungle lagoon

0CY-RB4-PNF

I was trying to make an underwater stage, but I had trouble making water sections that weren't tedious, so it ended up being half out of water. It's an easy level with a focus on aesthetics. The thing at the end is supposed to be a fish. You can ride it's nose and be safe from the bloopers, but I didn't know how to convey that to players. My wife thought it was a rocket ship :(

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Udenpah posted:

...Yoshi got a raw deal...

Your picture comments are treasures and always appreciated. Don't worry though, Yoshi lives there so he's alright.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Cool I made the list! :D

Yeah OneMoreTime is awesome like that. He plays all our garbage and even pretends he likes it!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Link's Epic Temple Quest

C0Y-74G-WJG

Silly little puzzle/troll level I threw together. I doubt I'm the first one to have this idea but OH WELL

I'm not finding anything under that ID

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Are you guys planning on making a bunch of new levels or just arranging your current levels into a world? Do we get just one world?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not. My big worry with a world maker has always been that people will invest tons of time into creating intricate worlds and then nobody will bother to play them. People already have a tough time getting even a single level played. I can't imagine how demoralizing its gonna be for people to spend tons of time on a world and have barely anyone touch it.

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of worlds that won't get the attention they deserve, but that is a risk you take anytime you create something. I will be happy just making a world, even if it doesn't get many plays. I do imagine most people aren't going to make it past the first 1-2 levels of a world typically. I'm still super hyped.

I saw the 22nd release date, but is there an estimated time for the download to be available? I'm feelin like a kid on Christmas Eve right now lol

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I can't figure out how to find it! Here's some levels from it, you can get to my Maker page from there. I couldn't figure out where my maker id is.

Operation Monty Drop - B3M 1PN GFF

Arctic Mole Assault Team - D0Y KBW 52H

Molehill Out of a Mountain - GRG LHH G1H

Maker ID is in you profile. Click your mii in the overview tab for "more info". It will be in the bottom left of your mii. Your maker ID is 6HG-1YW-VJG

So I've barely had any time to try the new update because of work, but as I was falling asleep last night I had a good idea. It seemed like such a good idea at the time that I was sure I would remember it in the morning.... now all I remember is it involved the frog suit, i think?? dammit lol

Also, im sad the frog suit doesn't jump any higher off springs. The normal frog jump reaches 2 tiles higher than mario with a mushroom, but on a spring they jump the same height. Kinda lame!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Finally found some time to make a level. I whipped up this short frog suit speedun-ish stage:

BW3-HCN-VJF

Not very original unfortunately and it's super easy. Just some running with a p switch. Hopefully it's still fun though. I'm inspired to make more short levels to start filling up a world, and all the new power-ups have lots of potential. Really enjoying this update!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

How do you get your game world ID? Or find others game world IDs?

Can you only submit one game world online?

e: What I'm saying is I have two perfectly good gimmick ideas for game worlds, and I love both of my precious children equally.

You can only have one world uploaded at a time unfortunately. Your maker ID is what is used for the world IDs.

I made a quick little frog level so I could have a really easy stage for 1-1 of my world. It has no enemies and you just run and follow the coins. Its less than a minute long. 7 out of the 9 people that played it so far didn't clear it. I wonder if people just don't know how to run on the water as the frog suit and it's confusing them. The description explains how to run on the water but you can't see the course descriptions in world mode for some reason. Back to the drawing board I guess :(

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Two of the big mario maker streamers (dgr and carl sagan) ended up randomly playing my level in multiplayer, which surprised the heck out of me when I saw it pop up in a youtube video! I went to my profile to see if they left a like but it doesn't even show they played it. Do multiplayer plays only get recorded in the "multiplayer versus matches played" stat and not the normal list of players?

Also, what makes your level get played in multiplayer? All my levels have like 1 or 2 plays in multiplayer, and that one has 24 plays for some reason.

Norton fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 30, 2020

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I never even thought about how my levels would be in multiplayer. Balancing and designing for multiplayer comes with constraints I hadn't really considered until now.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I made a new stage basically as an excuse to listen to the different power up music. I only make easy levels since those are my favorite, so it should be a quick one to beat :)

Powerup Variety Stage

VQ7-QBN-YTF

edit for corrected code

Norton fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 19, 2020

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Matlack Radio posted:

"Course or Maker not found."

I want to hear your sweet, sweet music!

oh no, I typo'd it. here is the correct code:

VQ7-QBN-YTF

thanks for checking it out!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Made another pretty easy course:

The Goombi Desert

Y98-032-Y2G

I really liked your rainbow boulevard level Jspot. Easy traditional levels are right up my alley.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

My new course:

Piranha Plant Park

7D5-1SN-SDG

Probably normal level difficulty, so you guys will all 1 shot it, but still my hardest stage yet most likely.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey, it's a level!

I think in order to break out my rut I'm going to make simple stages that focus on one or two elements and make a short stage out of them. So first up, a speedrun stage with boost pads. Follow the coins and you should be fine.

Nice level. I found a few optimizations and did a bit of grinding to get the world record. It was all for nothing though because I found a skip that saves 3 seconds. I feel like with perfect movement I can take it down lower, but I'm happy with how low I got the time.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

King Crab posted:

I created my first level today and would love some feedback if possible.

JJY-1SF-TVF

Thank you!

Welcome! I got WR on your level and gave it a like. I don't particularly enjoy dark levels, but it was short and fun to speedrun.

Here is my feedback since you asked:

The part where you have to take damage on the muncher to become small mario and then escape the thwomp wasn't clear to me until after I died to it once. If you are going to have a power-up stripping section I think it's best if it's forced on the player. It isn't intuitive to hurt yourself before advancing to a new section. Additionally, the 4 spinys on the track are pretty difficult to get past without taking damage, but since there are infinite power-ups coming from the pipe you can just damage boost through the section. I think that part is too hard but also trivialized by the power-up pipe.

In my opinion the level would be improved if you removed the fire flower completely and made the spiny section slightly easier by removing 1 spiny. That way you don't have to strip the power-up from the player, and it also prevents you from just running through all the spinys.

Hope to see more levels :)

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Libluini posted:

Another artisanally crafted bullshit-level. This time I tried to make it as hard as I could, though as long you keep calm it's still a breeze. (The hidden truth being I'm secretly poo poo at platforming games, so after making a "hard" level, I'm always spending another hour slowly making it easier and trying it again and again, until I can get to the point I can finish it. So if you have problems with my levels, always remember that I'm a loving cheat and there's probably a really relaxed and easy way to play the level. Also, almost all of my power ups are hidden.)

Anyway, I present to you my poetic master piece,

The Fall of Mario

ID: 0NY-J3X-BYF

Mario is fallen, am I too to fall? Am I to leave this haven of my rest?

Too many blind jumps IMO. None of it was mechanically difficult, but I died about 10 times figuring out which direction I needed to press to avoid spikes. I couldn't react fast enough to change directions in time until I learned what was coming. If I could see more of the screen it would have been a fine level, but there is no way to look down and see what is next so to be honest it was a little frustrating to beat.

Blind jumps are a recurring Mario Maker issue and have prevented me from making any falling sections that I am satisfied with. However... playing through your stage gave me serious inspiration to create a solution. I spent the last few hours working on a new level with an attempt at fall indicators:

Plumber Plummet: N08-R4V-J1H

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

In Training posted:

There's a new Ninji level.

This Ninji might be too hard for me. The Yoshi strats require some pretty speedy button presses. I got a 35 second time and called it quits.

I made a new level though! After my last stage about falling I wanted to make a climbing level. Should be real easy and very hard to die.

calm climb: NSD-5FV-0WF

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Back to playing more Mario recently. I made a short and easy squirrel suit stage.

Acorn Athletics - R6K-2SN-JGG

Now it's time to catch up on the last few pages of levels. Glad to see you guys are still making stuff.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I haven't checked on this thread in a while but i'm here to report that I'm still loving mario maker and play it pretty regularly. I got my 500 world record achievement and will just keep piling the records on cause I have a lot of fun trying to optimize the bad levels out there. The popular levels that are well designed aren't that fun to go for a record on because they are usually already incredible optimized and there aren't janky cheese strats you can do to skip sections.

I made 2 new easy levels for the below average mario player

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle - 25H-0B8-2NG

i made this one a while ago and one of you guys already liked it back then, so thanks perrymaker :) without goons my levels would get 1-2 likes and fade into obscurity. instead, i now have one level that got 1000 likes and was played 10,000+ times in multiplayer. I even get comments telling me "if i see this in vs once more, i'll sell my switch and buy excrements" ... so that cool i guess!

my newest one is:

Jungle Gym - 4QJ-LQC-JQF

just a simple level for babies

looks like there have been some levels posted since I last checked in so now its time for me to catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Prowler posted:

Cosmic Caverns #TF
886-M90-W4G

Aurateur raided me with 1.1k people while I was streaming the creation of this level the other day! Hope it's fun and not at all jank!

ha awesome! hope u got some good alabama beach mouse spam from the chat

new level from me. short climbing level

4 room cave - YQ2-4K9-CVG