Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Warren is going to line up her 5 paragraph speech on social issues and Trump will break in with "You know the Warren campaign employs illegals. We sent ICE to collect them and she begged me not to and she said "Donald" she said "I need these guys because they're so cheap and I can't do it without them" and I told her that no you can't have that and for America we have to do the right thing and they don't belong here.

And Warren is going to be stunned and bring evidence refuting this to the next debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phone posted:

you're a mark if you think that warren vs trump wouldn't turn into round 2 of the clinton vs trump debates (or worse)

Hillary completely won the debates and everyone was talking about how bad Donny was. Then Comey came out and said Hillary was back under investigation because of new emails and it didn't matter.

Just because Hillary was a bad candidate doesn't mean she was the absolute worst at everything.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Hillary completely won the debates and everyone was talking about how bad Donny was. Then Comey came out and said Hillary was back under investigation because of new emails and it didn't matter.

Just because Hillary was a bad candidate doesn't mean she was the absolute worst at everything.

:hmmyes:

lol that anyone is saying Trump won those debates.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chilichimp posted:

I could pick the 1-2 times she looked fuckin' rad and also point out how being goaded into defender herself from crank bullshit hasn't backfired on her to this point.

I can then point to Bernie's "rotate the supreme court" stuff and link you the parts of recent interviews where he (does good but) takes a while to get going on his answers.

But I'm not because Bernie and Warren are both fine and neither one would get bodied by Trump and it's ludicrous to try to argue otherwise.

Biden v Trump though... yikes. Who even knows. Will either of them even know?

I don't think you want to make this about Bernie, the dude who demonstrated at the same event how to deal with bad faith critiques...
But if you'd prefer, how many data points would you like before I can form a narritive you don't like?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

yes "everyone" was talking about how bad trump was at the debates, "everyone" being the media and the loving SNL cast
she lost because she was poo poo and because she was a poo poo campaigner

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chilichimp posted:

I could pick the 1-2 times she looked fuckin' rad and also point out how being goaded into defender herself from crank bullshit hasn't backfired on her to this point.

I can then point to Bernie's "rotate the supreme court" stuff and link you the parts of recent interviews where he (does good but) takes a while to get going on his answers.

But I'm not because Bernie and Warren are both fine and neither one would get bodied by Trump and it's ludicrous to try to argue otherwise.

Her being goaded into defending herself from dumb bullshit hasn't backfired because people have short memories. Once it's Warren vs Trump, though, she's going to be goaded into responding to dumb bullshit repeatedly, because that's all Trump really does, and I don't think that will end well.

That Bernie occasionally takes a bit to get going or has some policies that might not work is not comparable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I eagerly await his reply, and also same question to the "warren would" poster from just above.

Well, Warren has already shown personal weakness and a willingness to accept the narrative put upon her/play her opponents’ game. Has Bernie?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Jeep posted:

yes "everyone" was talking about how bad trump was at the debates, "everyone" being the media and the loving SNL cast
she lost because she was poo poo and because she was a poo poo campaigner

Also polls show the same result: a sharp decline after every debate followed by a slow rebound.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

elizabeth warren is the kind of person who gets called a f****t and then triumphantly says "why that's 'a bundle of sticks' and since I am not a bundle of sticks you, sir, are wrong!" and then gets the poo poo kicked out of them anyway
there's a chance she might win because trump has been a visible moron for the last 3 years but don't count on it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

joe biden is the "nothing will fundamentally change" candidate
elizabeth warren is the "nothing will fundamentally change but everyone in the coastal elite class will gaslight you into thinking it has" candidate

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Jeep posted:

elizabeth warren is the kind of person who gets called a f-t and then triumphantly says "why that's 'a bundle of sticks' and since I am not a bundle of sticks you, sir, are wrong!" and then gets the poo poo kicked out of them anyway
there's a chance she might win because trump has been a visible moron for the last 3 years but don't count on it
C'mon. You didn't need to say that.

But also her response would be:

"No, you see a bundle of sticks is what a facese is, so you sir are coopting fascist rehtoric while complimenting my strength which is how we'll win by being bundled together... And I'm the battle-axe!"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yo, could you edit the slur out of this post? That's really hosed up dude.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

C'mon. You didn't need to say that.

King of Solomon posted:

Yo, could you edit the slur out of this post? That's really hosed up dude.

done, apologies

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gyges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yC7-JsR2Fk

ok...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Gyges posted:

I agree with this. The fact that her performance didn't help her all that much, particularly compared to the Comey memo, just suggests that the debates weren't particularly important factors in that election.

That said, I think there's an important lesson there for the 2020 debates, ie: winning like Clinton did may not be all that helpful to Sanders or Warren or whoever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Majorian posted:

I agree with this. The fact that her performance didn't help her all that much, particularly compared to the Comey memo, just suggests that the debates weren't particularly important factors in that election.

That said, I think there's an important lesson there for the 2020 debates, ie: winning like Clinton did may not be all that helpful to Sanders or Warren or whoever.

The lesson could also be that the debates aren't that important and continually focusing on Warren's theoretical debate performance vs Trump is a red herring.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

But its just so undecorus to think that the heart of american democracy doesn't lie within *check notes* televised and monitized debates wherein issues can only be discussed in 3 min soundbites.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Papercut posted:

The lesson could also be that the debates aren't that important and continually focusing on Warren's theoretical debate performance vs Trump is a red herring.

Definitely, although I think they COULD count for something if Sanders just uses them to throw :decorum: to the wind and just outright humiliate him.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Because, and as evidenced by the last debate, Trump will just start talking over her, or the moderators will say her time is up and she'll just stand there either pleading or looking dumb as they do it. That's the thing about having all these plans and no pithy rhetoric. You have to explain them. Where as Bernie also has these plans but when you all him about them he can summarize them as "Medicine for all".

To play ~devil's advocate~ I don't think that performance in the debates can really be tied to how well she'd perform in the actual election. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is that her style of rhetoric appears to have a very limited base it appeals to (that is overrepresented in places like this forum or Democratic-aligned media). But it's possible that issue could be addressed by her becoming the front-runner and having Dem media/organizations supporting her.

ELO Musk posted:

Well, Warren has already shown personal weakness and a willingness to accept the narrative put upon her/play her opponents’ game. Has Bernie?

To continue the devil's advocate thing, one could argue the opposite regarding how she dealt with Tapper's hostile questions during the second debate (in which she actually did pretty well at not answering on his terms).

(edit: Since I dislike when other people do the "other people might argue" thing without saying what they think I'll go ahead and say that my own opinion is that I don't really know or care how Warren will perform rhetorically, since I don't want her to win for reasons related to her policy/ideology. If Warren's actual politics were the best in the primary I would support her regardless of her rhetoric style, but that isn't the case.)

Chilichimp posted:

While I think people are exaggerating the specific "she would get owned by Trump" point (since I don't think the debates or Trump's attacks would factor much either way), the bigger issue is that your positive reaction to her is an entirely subjective thing, and Warren's support appears to be strictly limited demographically. People from certain backgrounds (mostly white, mostly higher income and/or highly educated) respond well to her style of rhetoric, but they appear to be the only ones.

So your idea of "does well" is not the same as most voters', and that also applies to your negative reaction to many of Sanders' answers. You're misevaluating your subjective response as some sort of objective evaluation of the quality of the candidate's performance.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 10, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Wait you think the blood quanta stuff turned out well for Warren? Because that’s textbook getting goaded into “defending” by doing something that backfires bad.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The truly distressing thing is that there are only 1-2 times in her entire life that Warren has looked fuckin' rad

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Doctor Jeep posted:

elizabeth warren is the kind of person who gets called a f****t and then triumphantly says "why that's 'a bundle of sticks' and since I am not a bundle of sticks you, sir, are wrong!" and then gets the poo poo kicked out of them anyway

are you 14

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Majorian posted:

I think that generally debates are of minor importance in the overall scheme of a campaign. However they are one of the few points on the trail where you'll have a definite opportunity for a big move.

Even with the sickest burns though, it's hard to hold up a debate performance as a thing that won or lost an election. Regan didn't win because he answered that he wouldn't hold his opponents' age against them any more than "Proceed, Governor" was the moment Obama won 2012.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

2016 proved that debates don't matter

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

It might help, since Sanders and Warren will not have open FBI investigations and an utter, utter inability to relate to people on a personal level.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

no, mr dershowitz, I'm not

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Terror Sweat posted:

Lol at the dude wearing a shirt with mlk quoted on it going to a pro-segregationists presidential rally
That guy has to be intentionally planted there lol.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

Hillary completely won the debates

:lol:

No she didn't. She lost the rust belt on her trade policies, and what was her response to Trump's accurate criticism of NAFTA? "Well that's your opinion" *loses Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania*

Liberals think she won because she sounded smug, and they assumed that the only reason anyone disagreed was because of sexism, but if you reversed the sexes of the candidates and had actors play them then everyone would realize she really won once their biases weren't clouding their judgment.

Then a sociologist did that and whoops turns out it was liberals who realized Hillary's arguments were phony bullshit, covered up with her being a smug prick about it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait you think the blood quanta stuff turned out well for Warren? Because that’s textbook getting goaded into “defending” by doing something that backfires bad.

Yeah, I don't think anyone who would vote for a democrat actually cares.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

well I guess if we're racist enough to natives they'll stop voting Democrat and so will their allies, and then this will become true

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No she didn't. She lost the rust belt on her trade policies, and what was her response to Trump's accurate criticism of NAFTA? "Well that's your opinion" *loses Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania*

Liberals think she won because she sounded smug, and they assumed that the only reason anyone disagreed was because of sexism, but if you reversed the sexes of the candidates and had actors play them then everyone would realize she really won once their biases weren't clouding their judgment.

Then a sociologist did that and whoops turns out it was liberals who realized Hillary's arguments were phony bullshit, covered up with her being a smug prick about it.

This is some impressive revisionist history right here. Of course she won the debates; the problem was that other events (and circumstances) made it not matter.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

Would you perhaps describe it as a "nothingburger"?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is some impressive revisionist history right here. Of course she won the debates; the problem was that other events (and circumstances) made it not matter.

Hello, Fritz Coldcockin, I want you to watch a part of this video. I've timestamped it for you -- all you have to do is click it and let it play for roughly 2-3 minutes after the timestamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9FdRaTGEo&t=360s

You're welcome to watch more of it if you like, but I think this particular segment is instructive.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hello, Fritz Coldcockin, I want you to watch a part of this video. I've timestamped it for you -- all you have to do is click it and let it play for roughly 2-3 minutes after the timestamp.

You're welcome to watch more of it if you like, but I think this particular segment is instructive.

So you’re just going to ignore the consistent polling evidence in favor of a poorly constructed art project that just so happens to justify your priors. Shocking.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

well I guess if we're racist enough to natives they'll stop voting Democrat and so will their allies, and then this will become true

So just to be clear, you'll never vote for Liz Warren, and it's because she believed her mom her whole life and then got goaded into a DNA test and published the results she's racist?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, Inslee has gone on record about antifa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1160212213191401472

I'm glad he's not falling for the bait and issuing a condemnation, but I'm not thrilled that he's avoiding the question entirely instead.

Meanwhile, Tim Ryan is claiming he thinks he could turn South Carolina and Kentucky blue, which is honestly crazier than some of the poo poo Marianne Williamson says.
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1160232792359354370

Hickenlooper, Warren, and Booker will be speaking at the fair today too. Sounds like there's a Bloomberg-Warren feud brewing, but I haven't had time to look into that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

A play? A sociological experiment seeking to demonstrate that women get more sympathy from their audience when perceived as under attack?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marlows posted:

So you’re just going to ignore the consistent polling evidence in favor of a poorly constructed art project that just so happens to justify your priors. Shocking.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I support a Biden vs Trump debate, because two melty-faced senior citizens flubbing their lines, wandering off and making GBS threads themselves on live TV might force this country to have real healthcare out of sheer embarrassment.