Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m pretty sure the Marianne “fans” are doing a sort of bit. No one really wants her to be the nominee. It’s entertaining to have one total kook in the debates, like with Mike Gravel or Ross Perot.

THIS IS HOW WE GOT TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Solvent posted:

Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t sleep, I haven’t posted in months, and I want this to be something I can quote without having to toxx for it.
Something Awful is a drat fine place full of brilliant people who have some serious opinions (problems).
Reading Goon takes on the debates are waaaaaay better than watching them.
Here are some of my opinions, ripe for first (second) page hatred.

Warren is the democratic nominee, I didn’t watch the debates, I’m not remotely interested in them.
I knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.
She knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.

Joe Biden didn’t want to run at all, he’s doing this to call more attention to the democrats who are. To say he’s committing political suicide is to say “who is that guy again? oh yeah, barry’s vp”.
I think he wanted to step out of the way a couple years ago, but people, I don’t know who, butt people think he should have ran.

Check my probes, I was the literal first person in C-SPAM to say Bernie would have won after Colbert looked like he was going to cry on election night.
That being said: “I am not now and have never been a member of the communist party or otherwise affiliated with it.”
After minimal :words: in the DSA thread, I’ve declared this rabid communist bullshit to be not funny anymore.
You loving goons. God drat. Go talk to some people outside of your bubble. It’ll do them and you some good if you try.
I dunno, hear them out and not try to demonize them or convince them of anything maybe.
Try to find things you agree with (those) people about, make any sort of common ground.
Bernie has made his point, and I salute his unbelievable integrity. The man is a saint even if you don’t agree with him.
If I’m incorrect about Liz and he is nominated, of course I’d vote for him. I love the man.
When I say Bernie is unbelievable, I say “hey there’s a politician in Washington who’s had the same message for longer than I’ve been alive!” (I’m one of the oldest of my generation) I’ve said this before too, wouldn’t it be fair to ask who the hell that person who’s been in politics so long, and has stayed on message so consistently could possibly could be if you’d never heard of the man?

Good luck to people with a horse in this race, I’m not so sure that the orange crybaby will be voted out at all.

The world is a complicated place, and it looks more interesting (frightening) all the time. I’m tired of people trying to make me feel stupid and bad because a plastic shopping bag doesn’t break and drop all my food on the ground. How come I can’t shop at the co-op for oatmeal that isn’t full of roundup, without getting the side eye like I came to church wearing a yarmulke? I’m sorry I like steak and beer, as well as kombucha and insoluble fiber.

Maybe the bad guy wrestler will make me rich too somehow, and prevent the utter dissolution of the white race (my team).
Maybe it’s time I just let go of trying to care about people who just aren’t like me, and instead focus on my own family.

I’ve talked to too many people, young and old, without interjecting my own opinion for at least five loving minutes to have faith in the system right now, and I’ve read a lot of yours. I’m so very, very sorry (tired) that this post is (mostly) in earnest.
The internet really did make us all stupid.

Apologies, I’m going back to my hiatus for at least another month.
I also need to buy a new av.
Not like anybody noticed or cared.
I’ll be reading even if not posting, so, thank you if you took the time to read my spectacularly bad post.

There's so many contradictory sentences here, I don't know where to start.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Solvent posted:

Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t ... post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604430&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post493567277

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m pretty sure the Marianne “fans” are doing a sort of bit. No one really wants her to be the nominee. It’s entertaining to have one total kook in the debates, like with Mike Gravel or Ross Perot.

she is deeply amusing. not least because, in the grand tradition of the wacky weirdo who managed to scam their way in, she's saying a few things that genuinely need to be said.

her raising the issue of why, exactly, all these people felt the need to flee their countries after we destroyed them recalls the sensible chuckles had at the expense of that wacky Mr. Kucinich, and his argument that trans people are people, back in 2004.

good times. remember the way Jon Stewart just DESTROYED that crazy rear end in a top hat, for thinking "chicks with dicks" could be qualified for government roles? it is to laugh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Williamson is likable because her kooky perspective is genuinely more serious than what passes for a Very Serious Electable Candidate Who Gets Things Done in the minds of affluent liberals.

TulliusCicero posted:

Like I don't think JK Rowling is some master of literature either, but jesus folks popular culture is a thing
I thought "Republicans for Voldemort" stickers were funny 15 years ago, but lib wonks are bordering on making Harry Potterism an actual heuristic. It's insane, and the cloud of smug self-congratulation surrounding it doesn't make it any more palatable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

I allow for this possibility but I just have no loving patience for it. Folks ITT already know I had no patience for the stupid Gravel thing either. No. Joke. Candidates.

We get it, you hate fun. Congratulations on freaking out over two no hopers who were never going to be the nominee because you hate fun that much.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

kidkissinger posted:

THIS IS HOW WE GOT TRUMP

Nahh Trump was something else. He was the white hot ball of rage given human form. He said what Republicans always believed. Williamson is just a kind of funny old lady who bought her way on the stage.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

VH4Ever posted:

I allow for this possibility but I just have no loving patience for it. Folks ITT already know I had no patience for the stupid Gravel thing either. No. Joke. Candidates.
The sole purpose of Gravel was to get him on stage to directly attack Biden and the other lovely centrists for a whopping $1 (or $4.20 if you're feeling generous) knowing full well he wasn't going to steal the thunder of any of the progressives. Marianne literally serves no purpose.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Democrazy posted:

My serious analysis is that a secret winner of this debate might be Bernie Sanders. While he didn’t do anything spectacular in the debate, he didn’t do anything too bad, and debates were never going to be his strong suit, anyway. He also is likely to benefit from Biden’s meltdown, as there has been some polling showing an overlap between Biden and Bernie’s support.
Bernie's going to hold steady, but the current problem is a lot of what he's brought has at least superficially been absorbed by other candidates.

The other problem is that the debate format really works against him because the moderators don't really engage with him. It feels like he gets a lot of questions about the practicality of his proposals and he makes a legitimate criticism that the moderators aren't really asking the questions in a way that speaks to the fact that he's talking about systematic change. But I think the way that Sanders expresses that often comes off as repetitive and deflective.

Also going to go ahead and say a controversial thing: It is fine to be critical of Kamala Harris for the truancy law on a few points

1) It is absolutely right and admirable to draw a line against any punitive action for a non-violent crime

2) Harris's justification for the law was a very misguided one. She essentially argued that there was a correlation between dropouts and being a victim of a crime or ending up in prison. The problem is that education inequity runs parallel with other forms of inequity. In short, yes there might be a correlation, but there are also a bunch of other social factors that are leading to that sample to disproportionately be related to crime.

With that said, I feel like the actual law itself gets unexamined in a way that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I want to be clear that I would rather not the law exist because I think Harris's reasoning is wrong and I do believe that bondage needs to be viewed as a last resort in America.

With that said, I get it. I want to say that I think when the law is simplified to a quick "Copmala wants to send parents to jail for truancy" I feel like there is this image people get in their heads of truancy being Bart Simpson like scrapes. What I want to be clear that truancy itself is child abuse. It is abusive to purposefully take away a child's education and it is especially abusive when that child has a disability.

And yes, there are definitely extreme cases in which there are reasons for why a parent is not sending a student to school, but there are legitimately parents who do not send their children to school for no real reason at all and it is an actual problem. I have had a student who suffered from a learning disability who missed school often (20% of school days) and would come two hours late when she did attend her school.

1) Her mother had a decent job and seemed financially stable
2) Her mother's job started after school started
3) I would call in the morning to ensure she was coming to school
4) We assigned mom a social worker who was very dedicated to getting any support mom needed
5) We found a neighbor student to help get the daughter to school
6) We did home visits
7) We eventually called Child Services who inquired if there was any specific support the family needed.

She still missed school. And this isn't an isolated case.

So, I get that when Harris seemed to be gloating that she scared a mom into sending her kid to school, people found it offputting, but I honestly get it because I wish I could scare parents into sending kids to school. And while I'm all on board for the social revolution that gives us a world where this poo poo isn't happening, these kids live in this world right now. And even if you think it's small of me to wish I could just bully a parent into making their kid go to school, please understand it is rooted in me doing things like making accommodations and separate lessons for a student to accommodate their disability only for his father to let him play Fortnight all week.

It's also worth citing because I don't think it gets mentioned enough, the law was intended to come after literally everything else has been tried, offered, and failed as well as had failsafes to ensure parents could defer consequences with improvement.

When Harris gives this quote, “I have a huge stick. The school district has a carrot — let’s work in tandem.” I get why it sounds monstrous, but as an educator who busts his butt to get kids to school and seeing my coworkers do the same, it does have a logic to it. The education system shouldn't be punitive--and I think that Harris actually does profoundly understand that. The notion that for all the work I do in earnest and out of kindness that there is some sort of nuclear option at the end of all the other stuff makes sense.

Still, the fact that any parents got to the point where they were negotiating jailtime proves the inherent problem in this type the law and how despite the intent, a society that operates on punitive actions is an ultimately flawed society.

I'm not really defending the law or Harris, and I do think there are tons of things to look at in Harris's prosecution career that I find a lot more troubling. My problem is that the truancy law has--at least here and other places on the progressive internet--become a sort of quick bludgeon. It's brought up with the assumption of it being such an obviously abominable thing to do. It is used to quickly disqualify Harris altogether.

And I guess the main reason why I am uneasy about that is that I am suspicious if a lot of folks here or on other parts of the internet understand how much of a problem truancy is. Even when people do give the law some consideration, the response is the government should just provide some nebulous support for the family. That is a well-intentioned response, but it's one that ignores what it actually is like to try to give those supports or that those supports exist at all.

In short, I disagree with Harris and am suspicious of her prosecution past. It was not a good solution, but I feel like folks who treat it an instant disqualifying feature are not being thoughtful and are simplifying the underlying issues at play.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ogmius815 posted:

It's a Chapo bit.

https://twitter.com/CHAPOTRAPHOUSE/status/1143706221465231363

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

We get it, you hate fun. Congratulations on freaking out over two no hopers who were never going to be the nominee because you hate fun that much.

Look who's back after all. Yeah, I hate fun when little kids are rotting and dying in concentration camps. I really do. loving sue me.

Boy am I loving glad I never followed anyone's advice to listen to these assholes. They contribute nothing but worthless bullshit to the political zeitgeist in this country.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

she is deeply amusing. not least because, in the grand tradition of the wacky weirdo who managed to scam their way in, she's saying a few things that genuinely need to be said.

her raising the issue of why, exactly, all these people felt the need to flee their countries after we destroyed them recalls the sensible chuckles had at the expense of that wacky Mr. Kucinich, and his argument that trans people are people, back in 2004.

good times. remember the way Jon Stewart just DESTROYED that crazy rear end in a top hat, for thinking "chicks with dicks" could be qualified for government roles? it is to laugh.

It’s too bad Kuncinich finally cancelled himself for good last night with his bullshit whining about the race card lmao.

Also I actually change my mind, I respect you unhinged Warren anti-communist rant guy, at least you’re honest about your liberalism and why you think what you think.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VH4Ever posted:

Who gives a gently caress? To the recent Marianne Williamson fans ITT (assuming you're not doing a really bad troll): what in the gently caress is wrong with you? You're what's wrong with America. We're not electing a loving anti-vax, anti-science "power of positive thought!!" moron made famous by bored white housewives on Oprah!! Jesus Christ we're a dumb as gently caress country. I really don't feel I can be nice about this anymore. People are dying. Many more will. Stop loving around and get serious about what's in front of us.

I’ll vote for whoever the gently caress I want to , liberal

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least Solvent is gone, except in the hearts and minds and posts of people who are a little too laissez faire with the drat quote button.

Williamson is a joke candidate and yes, joke candidates are annoying, but I think it’s ok to celebrate awesome things like rooming with a very good and famous actor, or having a natural speaking cadence identical to melodramatic Twin Peaks overacting. Let people have fun! You would have to be as crazy as, well, Marianne Williamson to vote for her, so we don’t have to worry about signal boosting that much, IMO.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Really telling that the centrists think that a vociferous anti-imperialist is a joke candidate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

Look who's back after all. Yeah, I hate fun when little kids are rotting and dying in concentration camps. I really do. loving sue me.

She was one of the few candidate to actually call that out if you were paying attention at all.

I don't want her to win (and she won't, obviously) but dude get over yourself and embrace some loving humor or you're gonna have a heart attack from stress.

Mellow Seas posted:

Williamson is a joke candidate and yes, joke candidates are annoying, but I think it’s ok to celebrate awesome things like rooming with a very good and famous actor, or having a natural speaking cadence identical to melodramatic Twin Peaks overacting. Let people have fun! You would have to be as crazy as, well, Marianne Williamson to vote for her, so we don’t have to worry about signal boosting that much, IMO.

You're making me agree with Mellow Seas, that's how much of a downer you're being.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Really telling that the centrists think that a vociferous anti-imperialist is a joke candidate.

An 89yo 9/11 truther absolutely is. I saw plenty of anti-war candidates onstage last night including some guy named...Bernie was it?

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 28, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

TrixR4kids posted:

The sole purpose of Gravel was to get him on stage to directly attack Biden and the other lovely centrists for a whopping $1 (or $4.20 if you're feeling generous) knowing full well he wasn't going to steal the thunder of any of the progressives. Marianne literally serves no purpose.

That would have been pretty exciting, I'm still a little upset it didn't happen.

VH4Ever posted:

Boy am I loving glad I never followed anyone's advice to listen to these assholes. They contribute nothing but worthless bullshit to the political zeitgeist in this country.

Thank you for letting us know!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I dunno dude, weaponizing love sounds like a hell of a handout to the military contractors IMO :gifttank:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I respect the Gravel teens ultimately using the campaign as an elaborate mechanism to gently caress Tulsi Gabbard’s staffers.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Funny how the “joke “ candidates are the only ones saying anything worth listening to . Marianne the ONLY one calling out American imperialism in South America , while the others stood silent .

But “serious” candidates like Elizabeth “I have a plan!!” Warren who’s plan is to boost capitalism are the adult candidates ?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"society" is probably the piece of media most analogous to our time and most of the harry potter folks have probably never seen it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WampaLord posted:

You're making me agree with Mellow Seas, that's how much of a downer you're being.

Hah! It’s genuinely good to have you back, dude. You post content and make the best Simpsons references in the thread.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 28, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lightning Knight posted:

I respect the Gravel teens ultimately using the campaign as an elaborate mechanism to gently caress Tulsi Gabbard’s staffers.
Did I miss this story?

Gabbard's my personal "Hell loving No" candidate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Hah! It’s genuinely good to have you back, dude. You post content and make the best Simpsons references in the thread.

I don't know how "back" I am, but I appreciate it.

Anyway, Bernie didn't do gangbusters but he did fine enough, obviously the media narrative takeaway is Biden failing due to Kamala knifing him hard, which I think works out great for Bernie if Kamala ends up stealing a good chunk of Biden's support.

It's still June of 2019 and we have several more months and debates to go. Strap in, folks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

imagine being this uptight about a throw away bit from a podcast

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tibalt posted:

Did I miss this story?

I think they deleted the tweet now but they posted a picture of them hanging out with some Tulsi staffers with strong “we’re going to go to the hotel room and drink now” energy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's really bizarre how several left wing commentators like kyle kuklinski are gabbard fans.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Skippy McPants posted:

I've been thinking about it since last night, and I'm having trouble coming up a more thorough political suicide than Biden's.

Budd Dwyer?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tibalt posted:

Earnest support from 4chan Nazi boards is enough to completely write Gabbard as a dangerous trap.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Groovelord Neato posted:

"society" is probably the piece of media most analogous to our time and most of the harry potter folks have probably never seen it.

Society has a lot of what I'm looking for in a movie: dampness

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The exchanges between Biden and Harris were so awful for Biden.

Talking about opposing bussing on the principal that it shouldn't be a federal issue and should be up to the states is a really idiotic stance when the states weren't doing anything.

An old white guy trying to rehab his image by explaining (white-splaining?) to a black woman who went through it was just :psyduck:. I'm white as hell and it was clearly not a good look for him. My boomer dad does nothing but shitpost on Occupy Democrats all day and was super happy when Biden announced, but has since really soured on him thankfully.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Harris is bad for many other reasons besides being a cop. She's already walked bad the whole "eliminate private insurance" bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DoombatINC posted:

Society has a lot of what I'm looking for in a movie: dampness

it is an incredibly damp movie. patrick ewing damp.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kevyn posted:

Budd Dwyer?

Oof, wow. I mean, accurate but drat that's dark.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
roughly 8 or so indistinguishable lanyard liberal centrists, Bernie, and Marianne

Marianne could beat Trump

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Everybody is excessively mad about everything because we live in Trumpworld. The crystal rubbing anti-vaxxer isn't going to have any effect on the Democratic primary though.

WampaLord posted:

I don't know how "back" I am, but I appreciate it.

Anyway, Bernie didn't do gangbusters but he did fine enough, obviously the media narrative takeaway is Biden failing due to Kamala knifing him hard, which I think works out great for Bernie if Kamala ends up stealing a good chunk of Biden's support.

It's still June of 2019 and we have several more months and debates to go. Strap in, folks.

I feel like the left is split 2 ways (Sanders vs. Warren), and the centrist/establishment/[insert epithet here] side is potentially split like 6+ ways or some poo poo. Biden's support is a mile wide but an inch deep, because there are plenty of other people equally acceptable to the middle of the roaders everyone here wants to go away.

(I also want the centrist Dems to just go away at this point.)

I don't know if it's going to turn out WELL, but this definitely isn't a replay of 2015-16 for the Democrats.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 28, 2019

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

She's no worse than any of the the other warmongering imperialist mass incarcerating corporate candidates who responses to our species looming extinction amount to do nothing (so anyone not named Bernie p. much). In fact better than them despite being a nutso grifter.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

If we all get serious right now maybe they'll move up the election from being 16 months away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lightning Knight posted:

I think they deleted the tweet now but they posted a picture of them hanging out with some Tulsi staffers with strong “we’re going to go to the hotel room and drink now” energy.
Lol, misinterpreted your post there. Welp, #CancelGravel