Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

She's one of the only ones who's willing to call what's going on for exactly what it is, which I find to be a far, far more valuable contribution to this primary than loving idiots like Yang, Klobb, or Booker

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1151240240012525568

Okay, but lots of candidates are doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ruminahui posted:

Hopefully Bernie will pick Williamson as VP, since she can heal the soul of America while he heals the body of America with Medicare 4 All

She doesn't need to be VP to realign the chakras of the zeitgeist.

In fact, some would say it puts her at a disadvantage.

Bernie should create a new cabinet position to head the new Department of Crystals.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, I agree that Williamson is better than the failson empty suit centrist white men, which is funny, but doesn’t actually mean I like her.

I wish Gravel was slightly younger and more obviously not just a puppet because I think he’d be much more interesting if he was, ya know, functional.

Alternatively, it’s still tragic Barbara Lee endorsed Harris. :(

Edit: I consistently forget that Jay Inslee exists but I guess he would be my second choice...?

Her backing Kamala was ostensibly supposed to signal to Barbara Lee supporters... that you should also at least not openly hate Harris, since, you know, Barbara think she's be good for the job.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

War is a bigger cause of disease epidemics than crystal woo, if you have the background in public health that you claim you would know this.

~shut the gently caress up vitalsigns~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

It's tricky because you are simultaneously saying "Deaths are caused by war" and "The anti-war candidate wouldn't know how to prevent those deaths that are caused by wars" so your brand isn't really clear.

Voting for the joke anti-war candidate doesn't mean there won't be wars.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The way she manhandled Dave Rubin on the Rubin Report automatically earned her some of my respect. Not enough to vote for her, but she's way more intelligent than she comes off as.

I hate her more just for going ON "The Rubin Report".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Luckyellow posted:

Ugh. He just can't stop himself at all. Add that to the collage of him with all those young girls.

Is this the same granddaughter that Biden skipped out on an event to attend her graduation?

Might be the daughter of his dead son?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
psssh, so much for the tolerant left, amirite?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
in the current context of no-cash-bail and the progressive movement,

this one politician "once" pushed to INCREASE bail.

SO SHE IS CANCELLED

Truly, frenz, this is her Ralph Northam moment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

why are you like this?

Harris sucks, you don’t need to prostrate yourself defending an awful former AG from her awful decisions.

If posters ITT can justify 2nd picking Williamson even if she might be anti-vax, then I can justify her having a boring bail opinion ~at some point in the past~ (I cannot stress enough how lazy and loving stupid it is to link the screenshot of a headline) for my 3rd choice.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

In a post 1964 world, why should someone even think about increased bail, ever, if not to serve the New Jim Crow state?

Potato Salad posted:

Guys chill out, on this one issue, if we ignore a ton of other issues, Kamala served segregationist interests ONLY ONCE, relax jfc.

Came for the "Copmala" takes; am satisfied with the "Uncle Tomala" takes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

Do you actually have any positives for your third choice or are you just trying to rationalize accepting lovely people

Cause 3rd choice in any normal primary would be some drat faint praise

It's faint praise in this primary. I don't anticipate ever having to vote for her, though I prefer her of the centrists in the crowded field.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

The new Yorker did an article about how gillibrand screwed franken and how everyone hates gillibrand for the one objectively good thing she did

I have no idea why she's still even in this race.

The strongest argument that can be made for Franken is he's on the Biden-end of the creep scale, not the Trump-end.

Which is a preeeeeeeeeeetty lovely argument.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 22, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

*looks at Biden, Buttigeig, Booker and Beto*

Biden's a creep with no idea what the current democratic base wants. Buttigieg is a political novice who's political height at this point is mayor of a college town. Booker has some problematic alliances with defense contractors and charter schools. Beto is a 3rd way shithead who thinks we can heal the country by participating in dialogue and finding common ground with republicans.

I guess you could cram some other candidates into this category and tell me they're better? I'm not really putting a ton of thought into my ~3rd choice~ and I'm not sure why you'd put a ton of effort into making me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

You're the one crying because you want to kiss and hug Kamala Harris and other posters think you're being dumb/weird

Thanks for projecting creepy sexual imagery on me, Failed Imagineer. It's a good and cool argument, I'll totes reconsider how my testicles are influencing my decision-making.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The correct 3rd choice is Jay Inslee.

Jay will be a bangin' Interior Sec.

Phone posted:

nah, it’s whoever the brain genius is who came up with this scheme

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1153334905608294402

Pelosi is a loving waste... twitter reporters are framing it like SHE won. All she "won" was not having to make republicans argue for medicare/ss cuts in an election year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Great, now you want to bang jay.

You’re being real adult here.

The absolute state of this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Christ that M4A question couldn't be any goddamn clearer.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

kidkissinger posted:

Sam Bee apparently not above belittling the religious beliefs of non-christians

*deeply inhales*

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I realize that Sam B has a gigantic "peak liberalism" sign painted on her at all times, but she's not above mocking aaaaaaaaaanyone's religious beliefs... more to the point... are we characterizing MAW's crystal-based spiritualism as a religion now?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Punk da Bundo posted:

why are there so many people in this primary , knowing full well they don’t have a chance . Who would buy a book by Corey Booker or tulsi gabbard ? They have no chance at all

Punk da Bundo posted:

Marianne and Gravel should stay in as long as possible

One page apart.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Deciding on healthcare policy by polling is disingenuous as gently caress. What if we added to the poll the phrasing that overhead costs are one of the biggest reasons for the cost of healthcare in the US, and as such just adding a public option without touching the rest of the system will do virtually nothing to address costs?

I think there's no clearest indication that you are a bought and paid for shill than supporting the dumbass "medicare for america". Just adding a public option does nothing to address the reasons why healthcare sucks in this country (and somehow all these polls always forger to mention the mandate part). Like, i understand if you are joe schmo on the street who thinks the healthcare lobby is just too powerful and so medicare for some is the best you can hope for. But the people who push it while actually being supported by that lobby are enemies of the people.

I mean the "do you support a public option" poll doesn't mean that's all people would support, it just means "I would take this." It's not like THAT ONE POLL is the basis for anyones policy decision-making, but a single data point in a larger question "how do we address healthcare in America?"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Polling shouldn't factor into answering that question in any way, regardless. Policy should be decided based upon whether it's a good idea that will help people.

"we shouldn't poll people, we should just do what we think is right"

like... I agree we should generally be "doing what is right", but also, polling is a useful goddamn tool of public policy. "We shouldn't ask what people want" is a goddamn ~take~, friend.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I kinda assume that even if Biden was the nominee a lot of Biden primary voters would vote Trump in the general

That's because Biden's unironic electoral strategy is to poach republican primary voters since the Republicans won't be running a primary this year, and many states have open primaries.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i expected that people in this forum would not actually read about the article but post about it anyway, and that's exactly what i got lol

I read the article. What's your point?

I freely admit the point of the article was that Tweedon was fabricating her entire complaint, and even if I accept that premise, the best explanation for the other victim's is that he likes to touch womens asses, inappropriately.

Framing Franken as a Biden-esque woman groper certainly is better than framing him as a serial sexual assaulter, but it's still not great. Franken absolutely did the right thing by resigning.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 22, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm no IK but I think any further discussion of the Franken New Yorker piece needs to gently caress off to USPOL.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

noted twitter funnyman "dril" revealed as social media manager for williamson campaign

lol, goddamn that does have the cadence of a dril tweet

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm supporting butt sweat and cheeto dust for president in 2020

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bernie is more qualified on this issue and better positioned to tackle the actual problem, but the media will trumpet about the plan to treat the symptoms and not the causes.

Is he running on the plan to intervene, decommoditize, and redistribute? How successful was he in these steps when he was the mayor of a town in Vermont? How possible would it be for a president to do any of this?

I think the point Weigie Weigs is making is that Bernie's got rhetoric and Warren's making plans. If he's got plans, it'd be pretty simple for Bernie to just say that he's got plans. He's been running for president for 5 years.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Maybe Bernie understands that having plans is secondary to the political fight and that there's no way to technically solving divergences of interests, maybe he has the base that he has precisely because he lays bare the inherent political struggle in improving people's lives, and maybe the media should actually report on who has actual bills in congress instead of taking a Lisa Simpson act at face value.

Idk, maybe.

Maybe Warren understands that political fights are secondary to having plans and that there are ways to redress divergences of interests, maybe she has the base that she has precisely because she lays bare plans to to improve peoples lives, and maybe the media should actually report on who's got actual plans AND BILLS in congress instead of taking a Bart Simpson act at face value.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

"If warren doesn't have all the detailed plans, why do I think she does, huh?"

In a world where Bernie has far more detailed plans than Warren, how the gently caress does this gibberish make any sense?

Here, instead of lazily buying into nonsense media framing, do your own work:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse?sponsor=400357

Bills that Bernie has introduced, which includes medicare for all, free college, rise on the estate tax, tax on asset transfers, a bill to create a employee ownership bank to increase employee ownership of businesses, and one ensuring worker representation in corporate boards (this one is particularly great because it frequently gets touted as an example of Warren's technocratic leftism, but she is merely a co-sponsor in a bill that Bernie wrote).

Meanwhile, here's Warren's bills:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse?sponsor=412542

Her student debt sort of forgiveness plan was only introduced yesterday. Other than that, it's mostly tweaks to existing legislation or regulations on banks. Which is fine. But on the big stuff, like healthcare, the economy, employee ownership, and yes, housing, she either has some half assed blurb on the website or she jumped on one of Bernie's bills. On her core campaign promises, she has either jumped on things that Bernie has written the bills for (M4A, National Housing Trust Fund, employee representation in corporate boards), written watered down versions of Bernie's bills (student debt), or blurbs on her website compared to Bernie's actual bills (her wealth tax is not a bill anywhere, whereas Bernie's asset transfer tax is a bill, same thing for college policy).

As for her base, the best that she has gotten after non-ending fawning praise for months is 3rd place in the polls with a base that is nearly all white and rich. Behind Bernie, despite the same media's nonstop negative campaign against him.

Very cool characterizations from a guy who described Elizabeth Warren as a "Lisa Simpson act".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

How is saying “I have a plan for that” not rhetoric, but somehow a direct statement telling real estate developers to gently caress off is? :psyduck:

Ostensibly because one of those things likely involves an actual policy while the other... doesn't? Please go on about how telling real estate developers to gently caress off will lead to real estate developers loving off.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

So are you just ignoring the fact that his post directly disproved the point you were trying to make?

And he's correct about the Lisa Simpson thing; Warren benefits from acting and behaving in a way people perceive as "a smart, competent person" and benefits from that perception*, despite factually having a less impressive "resume" than Sanders.

* among well-off educated whites at least

Which point? The one where I just repeated his blurb making GBS threads on Elizabeth warren back at him with the pronouns changed and roles reversed?

"Elizabeth Warren sucks poo poo because she... cosponsors progressive bills?" is a loving TAKE, my dude.

Terror Sweat posted:

Lmao Warren's plans are to use the bills that Bernie wrote

Because they're serviceable fuckin' bills and writing her own bill would be pointless when these are the bills the caucus has been coalescing around since 2016?

Support partisan legislative efforts is somehow now bad, because Berniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

*cosponsors bills written by Bernie, who supposedly has no plans

You're not just arguing that Warren is good. You're arguing that Warren is better than Bernie because she "has plans" and he doesn't. That's demonstrably false.

Please read where this started before jumping in. This is a family restaurant.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

Here's what you're suggesting (or agreeing with, or presenting non-critically) and there are multiple refutations thereof afterward.

I literally just wrote the same bullshit back at the guy I was quoting with the pronouns switched. You can take that seriously if you want to, but most people correctly interpreted that as a jab.

They both have plans. They both have bills. Trying to hold up one over the other on a case by case/ issue by issue basis is a ludicrous thought exercise. They're both progressive candidates from the same party, who serve in the same legislative body.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Where he points out that Sanders actually has a more impressive history of writing actual bills, thus making Warren's characterization as "the one who is good at plans, as opposed to Bernie who is the rhetoric person" dumb and wrong (and that characterization is what the quoted tweet was trying to do).

It's a mark against their character when they're running against someone who didn't need to. Also, and perhaps more importantly, as far as I'm aware Warren has never really apologized or given a good excuse for being a Republican until such a late age.

I mean, Warren wrote three bills that are being taken up by caucuses in the House right now too.

Please bear in mind this slapfight started because someone ITT decided that being the plans person was bad. Well now Bernie is the plans person and it's now good? I thought he was the class struggle rhetoric guy and plans were for nerdy girls?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Then answer this: why are billionaires vastly more comfortable with Warren as the candidate?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that "vastly" is doing a lot of legwork in post, because I'm certain they're "vastly" more comfortable with Biden, Buttigieg, and Harris. We're still talking about a TOP TEN candidate list, man.

SKULL.GIF posted:

You are breathtakingly naive. The problem is that the media is inflating Warren's plans and completely ignoring Bernie's plans, trying to depict the latter as planless and the former as having the brilliant solution that will save us all. Do you not see the problem and the driving motivations here?

I didn't realize I was being asked to defend media narratives.

Maybe you guys should be whining about Dave Wiegel in a thread about the media.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Warren and Sanders in Temecula

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Biden, when the polls fell

:respek:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

The fact that people still do the donut thing is the longest continuous cringepost since Uillilillia

What does the donut in handle reference even mean?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Evidence for this? Like are you imagining there is a Republican out there that is about to start believing people shouldn't be starved to death, but then they read my post, and decided that to impress me personally they are instead going to remain consistent in being pro-starvation?

I mean... I was a republican. I voted for Bernie in 2016. I voted straight ticket democrat in 2018. I'm probably voting for Bernie in 2020.

Don't pretend no one can be saved from indoctrination by exposure to positive ideas and a little bit of time (and patience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Why did somebody copy paste Bernies post history?