Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A big flaming stink posted:

you're a really lovely bernie supporter TBH. sure you wouldn't be more at home as a warren stan? She really likes american imperialism too.
I wish I had brainworms so I could make posts this dumb too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Luckyellow posted:

One thing that I quite don't understand. I keep hearing that all of the other sub 1% polling candidates are just doing it for book deals. How does that work exactly?

I mean, they obviously don't have that many supporters so why would a publisher throw money at them for a book deal when there wouldn't be any buyers for the book? There must be something that I'm not getting.

After your presidential run you'll have more name recognition than when you began. You can convince a publisher you can move books because of this name recognition. It also gives you an excuse to write a book, a final chapter to discuss all the life lessons attained and how convinced you are that America TRULY IS the greatest nation on earth because You, a Giant loving Idiot, got to get 1% in a national poll a few times and eat some fried food on a stick in the Benton IA fair.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

"I'm not trapped in here with you," Biden began...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

1) Abolish private property.

There is no step 2

Thank, candidate street corner prophet, for your answer to the housing crisis.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tylersayten posted:

I’d vote for Yang over Warren at this point.
I just wanted to congratulate this thread for getting into such a pointless slapfight that it didn't even acknowledge this lovely troll. Progress!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

Maybe we can give Warren a chance to fix the plan before we throw her to the wolves?
Nah, the wolves are hungry and I left all my burgers in USPol, so

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Okay, let's say the general isn't trump/Biden, it's Kasich/Biden. Are y'all brokebrains voting for kasich?

This is a fun rabbit hole, very curious how deep it goes.

Also good question earlier: what's Castro's deal? Is there some position he has that renders him persona non grata to the horseshoe theory in action "left"?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Like, I hope the Marianne mindsetters are just doing this bit strategically, to try and erode Warren's support in hopes it boosts Bernie. Y'know, endlessly screaming Warren's an imperialist without a good reason, trying to set up a dichotomy of "crystals vs war" as if that's actually a spectrum of debate outside of broken brains.

Cause let's be real: Marianne makes a few good points, but shes hilariously unfit for the presidency. Trump only proved any dipshit COULD be president, not that any dipshit SHOULD, and her "business experience" isn't a point in her favor there. So I'm hoping that even her "unironic" supporters here are just doing it to shiv Warren, because otherwise holy poo poo it'd be pretty bleak here. It's not anti-intellectualism, it's just dumb.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It started out ironic then everyone doubled down on the stupid because that's what happens with ironic support. Same thing would've happened if ironic support for Air Bud had become a thing, we'd have people posting "hey at least Air Bud didn't vote to support the War in Iraq" and ignoring that he wasn't even born then!
It made sense to me that Warren haters would use Marianne as a cudgel against her. Bernie has a good anti-imperialist record, but "Bernie Bros attack Warren" is a worse line to sell to win over Warren voters than "Marianne is better than Warren"

Both try to erode warren support, but one sidesteps the perception of negativity and (generally unfair) misogyny.

If it's just unironic love, yikes. She says she good stuff but she's clearly just trying to get her name out there more.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Just passing around the party collection basket at church, totally a thing average voters do, unlike those rich bougie coastal assholes who aren't in touch with the heart of America.

Is that even legal?
No. I'm sure it will be given enough time, but for now non-coordinating superPACS is how to get dark money into a campaign. If it's direct to a candidate it needs to be a named US citizen who doesn't meet excluding criteria.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mac Runs for the Presidency

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

How often do you have to quote Einstein before you become pro-science

I keep quoting lou gehrig cause I'm a fan of diseases that create inspiring stories like Steve Gleason.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Punk da Bundo posted:

He’s so , so pathetic . What kind of goober says he want to punch Trump in the face? And then goes on to say how big and strong and tough and manly he is and he’d hurt the big bad Orangeman.

Biden wants to do push-ups , Booker wants to act tough , it’s such embarrassing posturing
he's the nominee and his general election ads are just training montages as he flips giant tires up a snowy hillside and speedbags in a gym

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

crazy cloud posted:

Your language reveals your bias. Magick is not superstition, and your liberal sneering tone about it is just reheated Dick Dorkins materialisy nonsense hth

this is the wildest calibanibal alt ever, where does he get his material

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

mormonpartyboat posted:

dangerous ground for kamala, given biden's strong history of being lovely to black people

He's gonna call her "articulate" and ask to be her VP?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Judakel posted:

Warren still does not have healthcare in her Issues page. Bernie is the only option.

Maybe she had the correct takeaway from 2016 that "look at my webpage" is the worst loving thing. I'm actually ashamed that Bernie plugged his site. Nobody will go there because you gave the URL, my man.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Eschenique posted:

I was pretty young during the primaries for the 2000 and 2004 elections.

Is it normal for these snowballs-chance-in-hell candidates to linger for so long?

In theory the later they last the more political credibility they've built up, allowing them to shop their endorsement for promises of sweet gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

joepinetree posted:

I've said it many times in previous versions of this thread that people tend to over-estimate the impact of candidates and campaigns on election outcomes. Fundamentals matter a lot more. If the economic recession that is predicted to hit soon happens before the 2020 election it is likely that any democratic candidate would beat Trump. Now, the question is what happens if the economy is just iffy instead of full blown recession.

If the fundamentals predict a race that is in any way close, I think Warren is probably the one who would do worst against Trump. Not because of any particular gaffes, but because her campaign has been uniquely tailored towards white educated liberals. Polls are all over the place (because different assumptions about who is going to turn out lead to wildly differing results), but virtually all of them agree on one thing: Warren has very little support outside of white, college educated voters. In the latest surveyusa poll she manages to get 0 among high school only non-white voters. Not a 0% where it's a fraction rounded down, but a literal 0. And this is a relatively favorable poll for her where she has 19% overall. In the Quinnipiac poll, which is the one most favorable to Warren (21% overall, 7 points ahead of Bernie), she is first among college educated whites (28%) and single digits among African Americans (8%, half of Bernie - Quinnipiac didn't include enough Hispanics to report on the poll). To round out her best polls, in the yougov one she is first among white voters and like 4th among Hispanic voters (they don't report education). It's not that those groups don't like her, but they clearly don't find her as appealing as others. So she does poorly precisely among the groups that have lower turn out rates.
Major caveat being while she doesn't seem to inspire African American voters much as a first choice, she also hasn't closed any doors given how poll after poll show her favorables as sky high across all groups, uniquely so.

She seems well positioned to make further gains if minority voters lose faith in their first choices. I love Bernie but he does seem to have a lot more of a high-floor low-ceiling issue hindering him due to poor favorables.

I'm not stressing regardless til we're a lot closer to Iowa.