Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've been thinking about it since last night, and I'm having trouble coming up a more thorough political suicide than Biden's. I mean, we haven't seen any polls yet but every other campaign crippling gaff I can call to mind: Dukakis playing toy soldiers, the Dean Scream, Clinton daring to show emotion, "Please Clap," even Mr. Burns spitting out that drat fish. They all seem like peanuts compared Harris' skewering of Biden.

If that performance doesn't at least seriously dent his lead then I don't even know what to say except maybe burn the whole motherfucker down.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

read another loving book christ.

No! There has never been another nebish but capable woman in the history of literature.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

14 people have already qualified for the 2nd debate.

Yeah, but they're doing another two-nighter so it'll be ~seven on each stage rather than ten.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kevyn posted:

Budd Dwyer?

Oof, wow. I mean, accurate but drat that's dark.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

It's tough. It ought to be her naked opportunism and her awful history on criminal justice, but she hasn't spent enough time in the public eye for the former to be a real weakness and too many people still fall for the "tough on crime" line for the latter to sink her.

If she plays smart, which she will, it'll be hard to find an exposed flank. More likely you have to beat her by presenting a better option, which is its own challenge since she is clearly a capable public speaker.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

B B posted:

The prosecutor background is also a soft spot.

I'm not convinced it is. It should be, and for us here is sure is, but a big chunk of Dems are still pretty chill with cops.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Not his UBI, a generally UBI. I haven’t heard anyone else pitching one (if Bernie or Warren has, great).

I think we're at least a generation away from a serious talk about UBI. We still struggle with stuff as simple as "corporations bad" and a lot of millennials remain bought-in on the idea of honest pay for a hard day's work.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Or, I dunno, something like that. I mean, this thread would still hate him, but I think it would have stopped a lot of the bleeding.

He can't do it, though. Even by the standards of old white dudes, Biden appears to be pathologically incapable of admitting fault or apologizing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol why were we worried about Biden again

Because Trump broke everyone's sense of what's normal.

Also, he was next in line, which usually counts for a lot but Biden gonna Biden.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it rules that mayor pete can't crack 5 percent but raised as much as sanders. very real, grassroots support.

What's really gonna suck is when he comes back 4-12 years down the line and runs as a serious contender.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wouldn't expect anyone to drop out until after the July 30th debate. That's the last real chance for all of the outliers to make a big impression since the September Debate has a higher threshold that only 7-8 candidates are clearing at the moment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Bernie > Warren > giant meteor > that self help lady > the cop > Booker > Castro

Giant Meteor 2020, not only will it keep its promises but it'll plow right through congressional gridlock and being its agenda home to everyday Americans.

Craig K posted:

still fully believing that the main reason for this 2020 clown-car-con-clusterfuck is because 2016 was the clintons cashing in 40 years of favors strongarming people into putting off running in '16 until 2020

so thanks yet again, hilldawg

That didn't help, but the main reason for the massive field is that everyone assumes running against Trump in 2020 is a free win.

It's not, but that's the sentiment of the political and donor class.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 10, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd bet on it. A lot of people saw Harris gain major ground by hitting Biden where he's weak, and they'll definitely try to engineer a similar moment.

But the risk is, her policies aside, Harris is a solid speaker. I could see the tactic backfiring if someone with a less effective verbal skewer goes after Biden.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're correct, in a sense. Sander's is still considered unviable by most folks inside the beltway, so to them, Warren is the furthest left candidate who has a shot in the election.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, if nothing else I'm glad to see Biden continue losing steam as he is easily the worst of the likely candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

he just wasn't ted cruz and positioned himself as a white obama with a skateboard instead of shoot hoop

An obvious blunder. Shoot hoop > push board.