Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I can't help but be very frustrated watching Bernie over the past few months. His ideas and plans are so good and yet he refuses to ever deviate in the messaging. Let's not ever engage in anyone's personal identity and instead focus on everyone but lets also not talk about togetherness, just the end result of an upheaval. Is it really that difficult for him to have said last night, "Yes, their taxes will go up. They will also save money and never have to worry about what happens to their partner's treatment if they lose their jobs."

These fixes are soooooo easy fmpov and I get so very frustrated that he lives in his stump instead of talking at a micro level ever. I see these things and think that anyone who doesn't already actually know what he stands for isn't going to come around on his ideas. He isn't tackling the boogeymen our society has turned Policies That Help Poor People into, he is just repeating ad nauseam what we need.

e: oh and god drat it am I pissed off about the pre-debate. Those ghouls talked about everyone but Bernie and kept implying that Bernie couldn't fight Trump. Like, are you kidding? Angry old man only knows the warrior's way.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Did yall not hear when Bernie said:

GUTHRIE:

Senator Sanders I will give you 10 seconds just to ask the—answer the very direct question will you raise taxes for the middle class in a Sanders administration?

SANDERS:

People who have healthcare under Medicare for all will have no premiums, no deductibles, no copayments, no out of expe—out-of-pocket expenses. Yes, they will pay more in taxes but less in healthcare for what they get.

(APPLAUSE)

It was a meandering way that I felt diminished the final message

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Please explain how to do it better in a garbage clown car debate when prompted with a setup for sound bite attack fodder. You have 10 seconds.

Bernie could have done better overall, absolutely, but a debate format like this run by msnbc flunkies is a farce.

If he talked about an american's bottom line going down but that technically yes taxes go up instead, I think it'd be a lot more persuasive. I'm no political analyst, though, just someone who believes in a message that has recently felt very stale and unable to adapt.

Yes, it was a hostile and ridiculous venue. It still matters, though.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

that's exactly what he said though

Technically yes but in a watered down way wherein he rattles off various costs of our current system. That doesn't resonate like "Yes, but they will pay less money overall and gain security for their families" to me. Do you or other posters here believe his messaging has been good? I think it's his biggest and glaring weakness because the ideas can win people over on their own. If he could sell them too? I'd be a happy man.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I mean I can't even be that mad at this concept because it's very true that a great deal of potential is lost in modern society because people aren't free to pursue what they can really contribute to it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

Bernie's lack of interest in medical debt erasure is easily explainable -- this debt is primarily an issue for the elderly and women, who do not support Bernie. Contrast that with student debt erasure, which is mostly an issue for the youth. Bernie's positions dont come from a moral or ideological center --- they are simply cold, mercenary exchanges

lmao, I love your gimmick man

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think that a guy who believes our country is hosed and needs foundational rebuilding should quietly state his case as it is clear that decorum is what the road to change is paved with instead of blowing out my fiancee's eardrums with an acknowledgement of suffering she doesn't personally experience. FTW.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is the database for those maps from the FEC? If so, I wonder why my donation isn't in there. Could it be because I did it through ActBlue?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

No significant change would ever be possible if it had to be done in a way that preserves the value of peoples' retirement accounts.

This had never occurred to me, actually. Is it possible that old people are sort of held hostage by potential market volatility and that's why they vote for bland turds like Biden?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yes.

Although as we saw in 2008, all these neocons and neolibs whose only positive quality is "you have a 401k, I'll pump up the stock market, forever!" can't even do that

Right but it also means that a rather large number of people will be unreachable in an election because the hosed system we have forces those people to vote against their beliefs. God drat it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

To be fair he was also worked for Bill Clinton at NSC.

Though that's more of an indictment of Bill Clinton than anything.

The DINO Supporter

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BristolSOF posted:

Fixed for you

Do you want to explain why you think this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I eagerly await his reply, and also same question to the "warren would" poster from just above.

Well, Warren has already shown personal weakness and a willingness to accept the narrative put upon her/play her opponents’ game. Has Bernie?