Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m 100% in favor of Canada style healthcare for all America, but isn’t it a moot point in America unless the Democrats have 60 senators?

Filibuster can be nuked with 51 votes, that's why Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are on the Supreme Court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Trabisnikof posted:

And none of these are really new ideas, so again if this is the lethal poison to Republicans, imagine how stupid Obama is to have not done it.

Uh, yes?

If Democrats had banned gerrymandering in sometime between Jan 2009 and November 2010, REDMAP wouldn't have been possible and they would have taken back the House in 2012

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

LionArcher posted:

So I’ve been in the past threads as not loving Bernie. I’ll start by stating I was wrong about the book thing, and for that I apologize. I read a couple of hot takes on twitter and didn’t do research before bringing it here. Somebody asked me why I don’t like him, and last night I think it was covered perfectly. His policy’s are all things I generally agree with (minus that judge flub). But his delivery method bugs me. He yells too much, and just seems too old. Contrast that with Warren, who I like a great deal.

I also came out early liking Harris, and last night nailed why. She’s really loving good at debating and doing the politics of it. I want her to go after trump in a debate, because I think unlike Clinton she can get under his skin but also not lose her calm. I think he is more likely to blow a big gasket against her.

That being said, I totally get that she is a politician, and her being actually president won’t help the country nearly as much as if warren was president, or Bernie’s policies were in effect.

So it basically comes down to my fear that I think Harris is more electable, but I like warren more? (And If Bernie gets the nomination, I will vote for him).

Have you critically scrutinized your assumption that being high school debate club champion is synonymous with "electable"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Skex posted:

I know that it's going to shock you, but I totally agree, not making election reform and security a priority the second the Democrats retook control of the government was the biggest mistake they made.

That does shock me, but hey, cool!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

sean10mm posted:

Being as gullible as possible about a magic crystal anti-vax woo-woo scammer is the new woke lmao

In this thread we went from "rooting for her ~ironically~ " to having uncritical stans for this idiot in the time it takes to have a long lunch haha

I'm voting for Marianne because of this post

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Typo posted:

I'm voting for Marianne because of this post

If your post inspires two more people, and their posts each inspire two more people...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I feel like Williamson confuses people the same way Gabbard does.

Legitimately better than 95% of Democratic politicians, yet still utterly horrible. But a ton of people hear someone say the first, and immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the same as saying she's good, because the alternative would be to face the fact that the party is mostly a pack of greedy evil opportunists lusting for foreign blood.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

LionArcher posted:

Yes. I think a lot of what makes someone electable is how good they are at stump speeches rallies and so on.

OK how do you think the President would score in formal debate team high competition.

If your answer is "bad" then it's clearly not the same set of skills as stump speeches and rallies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

Disagree. I am personally pro-mandatory, but I see being anti vax as being about science and the other question about policy around the science.

The science is that mandatory vaccination is imperative to protect public health.

Being against mandatory vaccination is being against the science, it's the same anti-science position as Jill Stein.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Condiv posted:

this is true. the thing that confuses me about this hyperventilation about her anti-vaxx positions is the lack of hyperventilating about other positions that are dangerous here and now, not just hypothetically dangerous. I guess because the mainstream candidates support hideous, awful policies that are mainstream, they shouldn't be worried about as much as a kook that probably thinks she can send hordes of angels into her bloodstream to fight off measels

it's the same thing as Gravel being a 9/11 Truther totally discrediting him because his Truther conspiracy is anti- endless war and military industrial complex. But Tim Ryan can be a Truther congressman with a place at the debates while still thinking the Taliban did 9/11 because his Truther conspiracy is flattering to neocon Democrats and the military industrial complex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

theblackw0lf posted:

Interestingly while Harrs's approval went up considerably, her disapproval went up slightly.

Though that might just be statistical noise

That's to be expected as some people with no opinion form opinions after seeing the debate, some of those opinions are going to be bad. Most candidates had favorability and unfavorability go up a bit, as long as the former goes up more than the latter it's good for you.

Obviously the ideal is to do so good that it converts people who don't like you, but hey

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

angels are monstrous beings that had to say "be not afraid" whenever they appeared to humans so they wouldn't poo poo their pants.

If those creatures showed up on every battlefield, yeah I don't think any of the humans there would be able to imagine continuing the fight

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

PerniciousKnid posted:

On issues like social justice or foreign policy, there are powerful stakeholders on the "wrong" side, and it's inevitable that most candidates will feel that they need to engage with at least some of these in order to build a winning coalition.

Being anti-vax is just stupid.

Oh ok so if she were doing it for money and endorsements being antivax would be smart

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Endorph posted:

yes you're right nobody in this thread is criticizing biden or harris

i assure you if there were a bunch of people saying beto or whoever is actually super cool and 'one of the better candidates' i would be mad at those people also. but there isnt, so im mad at the people saying that about williamson. if not arguing with people who literally aren't here means i love war than call me a major, i guess

She is one of the better candidate, and that's not a compliment.

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like Williamson confuses people the same way Gabbard does.

Legitimately better than 95% of Democratic politicians, yet still utterly horrible. But a ton of people hear someone say the first, and immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the same as saying she's good, because the alternative would be to face the fact that the party is mostly a pack of greedy evil opportunists lusting for foreign blood.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HootTheOwl posted:

And you shouted them all down and they've left. That's how a forum works. Warren or Harris will make the news again and you'll shout down their supporters again and the thread will be in agreement again.

Lol forever at people who can't defend their ideas in a discussion forum complaining that others are allowed to disagree with them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Koalas March posted:

Why

Also someone please tell me what good Marianne will do for black people and racism and white supremacy

Wasn't she the only candidate to explicitly say we need reparations for slavery last night.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Punk da Bundo posted:

I live in Dearborn , you’re an idiot . And if Bernie isn’t the nominee , I will just write in Marianne as a protest vote . Real simple .

Wait what, if Marianne is the nominee you'll write her in?

Why wouldn't you just vote for the nominee then

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gyges posted:

Very brave, I don't think I'd bet on even a negative probability event with a genital tat on the line.

What is a negative probability event

Ogmius815 posted:

Guys Marianne Williamson is not going to be the democratic nominee.

:toxx:If Marianne Williamson is the democratic nominee, I will get a tattoo of VitalSign’s choice on a part of my body ordinarily covered by clothing. :toxx:

Do I get to choose the body part as well as the tattoo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Z. Autobahn posted:

Pretty sure Judakel, Phi, and Punk da Bundo would all agree with that statement?

edit: okay maybe they'd leave it as 'as bad as supporting Trump', not worse

"Warren is as bad as Trump" is an insane statement, they only agree on the desirability of one genocide

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Craptacular! posted:

There’s a non-zero chance you come out of this with a new life as a Roger Stone cosplayer. Godspeed, sir.

That's an interesting idea.

I'm also considering Marianne, half-transformed into a being of light, ascending out of the USS Enterprise-D.

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: oh and if it’s extremely big or expensive, you might consider chipping in $, voluntarily.

Sure

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 30, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Craptacular! posted:

Also they need to have perfect histories on an array of social justice matters or else random minority Foo will fail to vote and Trump will win again.

Well, yes? Building a coalition is critical, we saw what happens when the campaign strategy is to promise as little as possible to just barely win, because the assumption is Trump will certainly lose.

If we want to win, telling voting blocs to gently caress off and "we don't need your votes" seems like a bad idea!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Craptacular! posted:

The counterpoint to this is that Bernie’s 2016 campaign did not hit all the perfect notes on race and it probably still would have won.

It doesn’t stop a lot of (probably white) posters from saying that a woman of color will lose black voters because of how she’s more racist to POC than the white guy. I can’t speak for POC but that’ll never stop being hilarious to me.

Considering Harris's lackluster polling numbers among POC, it seems the white dude hilariously out of touch with minorities is you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"Electability" as is commonly used is completely meaningless and just a euphemism for "politician who makes me feel good".

Hillary Clinton was the second most unpopular major party candidate ever nominated in US history, and somehow lost to the most unpopular because her campaign was an incompetent and hypercorrupt clusterfuck, nevertheless she was ""electable" because supporting her makes me feel smart and sophisticated.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Anyone "remotely" electable would have blown the most unpopular candidate in American history out of the water.

Nearly any other democraat would have won handily because there would have been no national security scandal for the FBI to reopen right before the election.

The way Ogmius uses "electable" is completely meaningless, if the definition of "electable" includes literally almost every Democrat then the concept is obviously completely useless as a guide to choosing which Democrat is the best nominee

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Well Bernie Sanders sounds pretty different so maybe it's possible to sound different after all, and the idea that every politician is psychically compelled to parrot MIC war propaganda is absurd

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

LinYutang posted:

28% isn't too far off, and is a pretty bad showing in a state he won by a complete landslide in 2016.

Lol an unironic "Bernie is ahead, this is bad news...for Bernie!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean... he's using polls that show... what the polls are showing... as opposed to polls that show what... theoretically could happen? I don't understand this argument. Polls show us where support currently is. Obviously things could change in any of a million ways, but... that's not what polls are?

Those polls don't indicate what he is implying they do.

Maybe he even knows that since he refuses to state outright what he thinks those polls indicate

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

aka campaigning for other candidates, you dolt.

I remember in 2016 the Hillary crew's line was that she would fight and campaign for the Democratic downballot, while Bernie (who is not even a Democrat) would throw them to the wolves because his campaign was all about him.

And then not only did it turn out Hillary was siphoning funds and campaign contributions from the downballot into her Victory Fund (lol), but when Bernie turned out to actually be what they claimed Hillary was they hated it and now campaigning for the downballot is narcissistic and bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

guestimate posted:

There is no way Kamala beats Trump in 2020. Just no way, barring Trump OBVIOUSLY making GBS threads his pants during a town hall debate and tracking it all over the stage in a double figure eight pattern.

he would still win handily

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

enraged_camel posted:

So the argument is that she cannot be trusted because she wasn't balls-to-the-wall about M4A from the beginning?

Correct.

Also she doesn't support it now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

LinYutang posted:

Speaking of structural change: Warren has strongly come out in favor of abolishing the electoral college. Bernie has not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/voting-changes/?utm_term=.989c0edae97b

Amusing how people pretend Bernie's ideas are politically impossible pie-in-the-sky and then turn around and praise something that can't happen without 2/3 of both houses of congress plus 3/4 of the states at the same time that we've all acknowledged we can't get 60 Senate votes for anything.

"But but the popular vote interstate compact--" doesn't work unless you get a majority of electoral votes and aint no Republican-controlled chamber going to vote away an advantage that paid off for them twice in 16 years. So how many Democratic trifectas do you have in state governments, whoops not enough. And unlike an amendment states can withdraw so not only do Democrats need complete control of 270 EV worth of state governments they have to hold that forever.

enraged_camel posted:

She doesn't?

Yeah I don't take her contradicting herself at a debate seriously, where's her healthcare plan, it's not in her website, she hasn't announced it like she's announced her other plans. Candidates say poo poo they don't mean at debates all the time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

enraged_camel posted:

I mean I find it difficult to trust someone who genuinely believes that a tax on stock and bond trades is a good idea.

Why isn't it a good idea

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

enraged_camel posted:

I find it difficult to fault someone for listening to what the public wants.

Well yeah if you just assume that's what happened then sure. And if I just assume someone wouldn't offer to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge unless it's his to sell than I'd find it difficult to fault such a generous offer too.

The public supported Medicare For All a year ago too, why weren't they listening then? Maybe all the flipfloppers were coincidentally all visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future right when they needed a polling bump and their hearts all grew three sizes, that's certainly possible. But it's a lot more likely that politicians who change their tune when they want to get elected aren't saying what they believe, they're just saying what they think voters want to hear.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

joepinetree posted:

. Hell, in today's HarrisX poll Warren managed to get 1% of African American voters and 8% of Latinos, versus 8 and 26 for Bernie, respectively.

Interesting how Warren's "problem" with PoC is so rarely brought up

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Slavery is a mutually beneficial arrangement, because slaveowners would rather get free labor than have to murder all their recalcitrant slaves, and the slaves would rather work then get murdered. Everybody wins. I am smart.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

oxsnard posted:

That was never a forgone conclusion.

Bahaha

Of course it was they own both parties

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

oxsnard posted:

Hmmmm yes I suppose the CEOs of all the companies not in finance that went bankrupt or lost billions said "we shall let this happen as it is in the benefit of us capitalists for the long term"

CEOs don't care if their companies lose billions, they often do it on purpose because firing people, destroying the business, and looting the remains increases their personal wealth and power faster than running a successful firm.

Billionaires made bank off the recession buying everyone's depressed assets

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/toys-r-us-bankruptcy-private-equity/561758/

quote:

Less attention was paid to the albatross that Bain, KKR, and Vornado had placed around the company’s neck. Toys “R” Us had a debt load of $1.86 billion before it was bought out. Immediately after the deal, it shouldered more than $5 billion in debt. And though sales had slumped before the deal, they held relatively steady after it, even when the Great Recession hit. The company generated $11.2 billion in sales in the 12 months before the deal; in the 12 months before November 2017, it generated $11.1 billion.

Saddled with its new debt, however, Toys “R” Us had less flexibility to innovate. By 2007, according to Bloomberg, interest expense consumed 97 percent of the company’s operating profit.
Given private equity’s poor track record in retail, it can be difficult to see what companies like Toys “R” Us hope to get from a buyout. For private equity, however, the appeal is clear: The deals are virtually all upside, and carry minimal risk. Many private-equity firms chip in only about 1 to 2 percent of the equity needed for a leveraged buyout, and skim fees and interest throughout the deal. If things go well, the firms take a huge cut of the profit when they exit. If everything blows up, they usually still escape with nary a burn. Toys “R” Us was still paying interest on loans it got from KKR and Bain up until 2016, as well as millions a year in “advisory fees” for unspecified services rendered. According to one estimate, the money KKR and Bain partners earned from those fees more than covered the firms’ losses in the deal.

Private equity can stack the deck in other ways, too. Firms can direct businesses they own to buy other companies and then act as broker on the deals, reaping transaction fees. After its buyout, Toys “R” Us acquired a number of companies, including FAO Schwarz, eToys.com, and assets from KB Toys (itself a failed reclamation project of Bain’s). Consolidating brick-and-mortar and online toy businesses may have been a good-faith strategy. What’s certain is that the deals helped generate $128 million in transaction fees for the owners.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The US is a plutocracy where capitalists dictate government policy regardless of popular will or the outcomes of elections.

It's obviously stupid to argue that capitalists want single payer because of the demonstrable savings it offers to all their businesses, but somehow they're frustrated by the political system they control.

If 99% of capitalists really cared more about saving money for their businesses at the expense of other capitalists than they do about their class interests we'd have had single payer 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
poo poo, I wish capitalists cared about their personal wellbeing instead of their class interests, if that were the case we wouldn't be accelerating this train towards climate apocalypse