Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t sleep, I haven’t posted in months, and I want this to be something I can quote without having to toxx for it.
Something Awful is a drat fine place full of brilliant people who have some serious opinions (problems).
Reading Goon takes on the debates are waaaaaay better than watching them.
Here are some of my opinions, ripe for first (second) page hatred.

Warren is the democratic nominee, I didn’t watch the debates, I’m not remotely interested in them.
I knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.
She knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.

Joe Biden didn’t want to run at all, he’s doing this to call more attention to the democrats who are. To say he’s committing political suicide is to say “who is that guy again? oh yeah, barry’s vp”.
I think he wanted to step out of the way a couple years ago, but people, I don’t know who, butt people think he should have ran.

Check my probes, I was the literal first person in C-SPAM to say Bernie would have won after Colbert looked like he was going to cry on election night.
That being said: “I am not now and have never been a member of the communist party or otherwise affiliated with it.”
After minimal :words: in the DSA thread, I’ve declared this rabid communist bullshit to be not funny anymore.
You loving goons. God drat. Go talk to some people outside of your bubble. It’ll do them and you some good if you try.
I dunno, hear them out and not try to demonize them or convince them of anything maybe.
Try to find things you agree with (those) people about, make any sort of common ground.
Bernie has made his point, and I salute his unbelievable integrity. The man is a saint even if you don’t agree with him.
If I’m incorrect about Liz and he is nominated, of course I’d vote for him. I love the man.
When I say Bernie is unbelievable, I say “hey there’s a politician in Washington who’s had the same message for longer than I’ve been alive!” (I’m one of the oldest of my generation) I’ve said this before too, wouldn’t it be fair to ask who the hell that person who’s been in politics so long, and has stayed on message so consistently could possibly could be if you’d never heard of the man?

Good luck to people with a horse in this race, I’m not so sure that the orange crybaby will be voted out at all.

The world is a complicated place, and it looks more interesting (frightening) all the time. I’m tired of people trying to make me feel stupid and bad because a plastic shopping bag doesn’t break and drop all my food on the ground. How come I can’t shop at the co-op for oatmeal that isn’t full of roundup, without getting the side eye like I came to church wearing a yarmulke? I’m sorry I like steak and beer, as well as kombucha and insoluble fiber.

Maybe the bad guy wrestler will make me rich too somehow, and prevent the utter dissolution of the white race (my team).
Maybe it’s time I just let go of trying to care about people who just aren’t like me, and instead focus on my own family.

I’ve talked to too many people, young and old, without interjecting my own opinion for at least five loving minutes to have faith in the system right now, and I’ve read a lot of yours. I’m so very, very sorry (tired) that this post is (mostly) in earnest.
The internet really did make us all stupid.

Apologies, I’m going back to my hiatus for at least another month.
I also need to buy a new av.
Not like anybody noticed or cared.
I’ll be reading even if not posting, so, thank you if you took the time to read my spectacularly bad post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s too bad Kuncinich finally cancelled himself for good last night with his bullshit whining about the race card lmao.

Also I actually change my mind, I respect you unhinged Warren anti-communist rant guy, at least you’re honest about your liberalism and why you think what you think.

Holy poo poo yeah. I got lucky to take a nap today day too. Took it completely off (lucky me I can do that) Got a chance to watch the latest Bill Maher, that was a doozy. Reminded me of a PM argument I got into with someone on SA about 6 years ago.

I’m gonna apologize again, this time after a nap and some coffee. I’m really actually getting scared by this in and out grouping on the internet, and in person. I used to say ask academia, but that’s kinda getting buried now in the insanity that is public discourse.

This whole debate is pretty terrifying to me, I’m gonna go on board saying that no matter how much I love Bernie, he’s gonna get hamstrung by the party again. If Debbie picked Hill-Dawg to win and that helped to catapult us into the insane hell timeline that is often joked about here, I can see no reason Tom won’t do the same for Liz.

I’m gonna go on record here, saying it probably not first, without toxxing because who needs it.
Most of this stuff isn’t gonna play out for a while anyways.
(I’m gonna scrape together some money for the Tax man this week anyways).

1. Warren is going to get the nomination unless there is some kind of gigantic sea change in politics over the next year and a half. Bill Maher said it today to great applause, Bernie is an American hero. I can’t say the only sure shot Democrat’s have is Oprah, but I’ve loved Warren since the financial crisis that defined my generation. Me and my my wife are gonna send in 40 bucks for a pair of T-shirt’s... my wife’s got a plan we worked together on, and I’m really proud of that.

2. Biden never wanted to do any of this, he’s under enormous pressure to just say anything. “We’re gonna cure cancer!”??
If the last few decades of Gingrich style “total war” politics hadn’t happened, yes, people in the house and senate would work together to pass legislation, even if some of the people on either side -RIGHTLY- see the other as being abhorrent.

Which brings me to my next point

3. Public discourse is broken. It’s broken here, it’s broken on Facebook, Twitter, in person (if it still exists). It’s split families and ruined people’s sanity. Lol, metaphorically, raise your hand if you know someone who’s mental health has suffered because of the 24 hour news cycle and increased polarization, polarization of not just politics but in ALL DISCUSSION, of the last few years. I’m starting to get really scared that we’re gonna start a war or something over loving coke vs. pepsi. We gotta slow down with our judgments.
Me first.

4. Holy poo poo Koala, I only saw that picture of yours I’ve seen before, before I put down my iPad and sat in someone else’s yard and drank some coffee. I’ve never posted in the great race space, but I read there, and I TOTALY AGREE THAT RACE IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT. Man, I’m a white passing Chicano in San Diego who didn’t know my family heritage until I was in my 30’s. I have some really great memories of being a 3rd grader in barrio Logan saying that I was German, not knowing what a Nazi was, and being equated with them in front of a do nothing teacher. Man, I’ve been categorized and profiled my whole life, by police, my neighbors and so on. I’m TOTALLY OK THAT THE RACIST WHITE POWER STRUCTURE IS BREAKING DOWN. Like, loving really man, I hate it, and I swear on my Masonic oath I’m not just a keyboard warrior, I try my damnedest to have civil discussion with my fellow human being about this incredibly touchy subject. I’m gonna ask you, not because I’m insulted cause lol, gently caress me, but man, please: If you want to see “white” people give up their ignorance, that’s not gonna be how it happens. I really had a nice person, a very nice person who is kind and has taken a whole lot of abuse say to me in confidence, that they really don’t understand why it’s not ok for white people to be seen like a team. Just a simple team, like Asian people or Black people or what have you. This person got a very gentle explanation, my eyes full of all the love I could muster for them, about how the current idea of white people is actually really new, and that it used to include only Northernmost Europeans. I have no idea how well this worked but ffs man, come on, there’s got to be a lot of “I wish I had it this easy” on the way down the road of social justice, or we’re just gonna push people back into their little camps.

gently caress. Wall of text done. Full stop. I’m not coming back to this thread for at least a year to revisit these posts.

Thanks LK, you actually thought about a terrible fever dream I had enough to respect me.