Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Substitute the second debates for a Thunderdome/Hunger Games style gladiatorial combat, IMO. Anyone left after that can go on to the third debates.

Wanna see Bernie raise hell about millionaires and billionaires while chasing Hickenlooper with a nerf bat

Quorum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Really telling that the centrists think that a vociferous anti-imperialist is a joke candidate.

I dunno dude, weaponizing love sounds like a hell of a handout to the military contractors IMO :gifttank:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing about Bernie is that there's some irony to the fact that the only people who seem concerned about his age are boomers/olds.

As a young person who likes him I view it as his biggest flaw; age is demonstrated to cause a decline in some important cognitive functions and it's frustrating to me that the two leftmost people among the top candidates are also two of the oldest. It's a function of the hollowing out of the American left on a governmental level between the rise of Reagan and basically a few years ago, but it definitely isn't good and any of the old farts need to be ready to counter the issue of their age.

SimonCat posted:

Court packing has been brought up several times. Can someone explain how this doesn't lead to the court continually expanding every time a different party has control of the Congress and White House?

The idea is that one of the two parties just straight-up shouldn't ever have control of Congress and the White House as currently constituted, and only gets them because the structure of our government persistently enables minoritarian rule. Packing the court lets you correct that and means the Republicans have a much harder time getting control of government. They'd adapt given enough time but the challenges we need to address are facing us right now and time is of the essence.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

It might. It would certainly undermine the legitimacy of the Court. The question is, is that worse than the status quo or better?

Outside of basically the Warren court, SCOTUS has mostly served as a regressive institution with occasional stints as a release valve for public will where our broken-rear end legislative institutions simply would not do the job. With the replacement of Scalia and Kennedy with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, the latter cases are effectively gone for at least the next two to three decades under the current structure of the Court. Thus, the legitimacy of the Court (such as it is at the moment) is actively harmful to progress. So while replacing all the justices with the reanimated corpse of Thurgood Marshall cloned nine times and having everyone agree with the legitimacy of the Zombie Marshall Court would probably be the ideal situation, a court viewed as politically tainted but incapable of blocking progressive reform is an acceptable and achievable alternative.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Given upcoming planned shows, in a few years it will be Wheel of Time.

see, Warren is Moiraine, Bernie is Mat Cauthon, Trump is Padan Fain, Kamala is Egwene

Trump won 2016 by channeling saidin and what we see now is the result

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In terms of diplomatic reality on the ground this wouldn't change that much (Actual Diplomacy in missions with a politically appointed ambassador is often handled by career officials) but banishing donors and lobbyists from public life is an objective good. The foreign service is basically the spoils system at the top levels and it's bad.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

If people start Photoshopping Williamson with a lightsaber, I will be 100% on board and extremely obnoxious about it.

the only moral humanitarian intervention is one undertaken entirely by actual carebears :colbert:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, rather than finish him off, I'd prefer for Harris, Biden, and Warren to split the non-Bernie vote (so this outcome is still good).

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think Bernie's support will exceed the net support of people who don't want to vote for him (in the primary; I still think he would perform better than anyone else in the general). If Harris or whoever could successfully clear the field and get the media behind them, I believe they would beat Bernie. It's just too early and there are too many boomers/gen-x-ers still voting. But fortunately there are multiple candidates splitting the older-person vote (mainly Biden, Harris, and Warren), so he can possibly win a plurality.

Correct me if I'm wrong but depending on the distribution of the split support between states I'm pretty sure this is likely to lead to a contested convention and aaaaaaaaaaaa please kill me if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Insanite posted:

EVs for everyone is just unsustainable.

Who is my hero

Who is my railfan candidate

Seriously, railroad communism or bust

Waiting on Warren to break out a plan for effective high speed passenger rail