Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oxsnard posted:

They also crashed the economy and the stock market looking out for just themselves. Thanks for making my point for me

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oxsnard posted:

In aggregate, employer contributions to HC plans have increased roughly 7% annually since ACA while employee costs have gone up less than that, about equal to inflation. Source: my sister, who works for one of the big actuarial firms

Now, it's probably one of many reasons why wages haven't risen, but that's a true fact.

yeah the ACA is the reason why wages have been stagnant for almost 40 years now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oxsnard posted:

Are you talking about me? Because I understand fully the economic benefits of UHC and it's the single most important topic for me to vote on. I just don't buy the rhetoric that for profit companies can't be convinced of that based on economics alone

R A T I O N A L A C T O R S

Alright, do a "marketplace of an ideas" post next so I can blackout this bingo card.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

oxsnard posted:

In aggregate, employer contributions to HC plans have increased roughly 7% annually since ACA while employee costs have gone up less than that, about equal to inflation. Source: my sister, who works for one of the big actuarial firms

Now, it's probably one of many reasons why wages haven't risen, but that's a true fact.

you're a kingnastidon alt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
a good insurance plan in 2019 includes a high deductible plan, a health savings account, and trying to hit your cap as soon as possible at the beginning of the year so you can build back up your hsa for next year

dental and vision are, of course, extra

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Imagine a better future for yourself and everyone you know and love.

*imagines a marginally better future*

Ah, that's the stuff. I don't want to use up all of my imagination capital all in one go!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good thing there are currently 29 annnounced candidates running and only 26 of them think that we need obamacare 2.0.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

More bad faith arguments. She literally sells books on this poo poo, just because she didn't manage to cram it into her five minutes of debate doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Why are you so loving disingenuous?

No one here is giving anyone a pass for war crimes and mass murder, the difference is that I'm a lot more knowledgeable about biology and public health than I am about foreign policy so I'll leave it to others who know more to speak on that issue and stay in my lane. I shouldn't have to write a whole loving thesis about every bad thing that shitheads are advocating just so I can point out the obvious ableism that stems from anti-vaxx beliefs.

And no, it's not "arguably less bad". Much like shithead dominists spread homophobic beliefs throughout the world and encourage the creation of homophobic laws, anti-vaxx beliefs lead to the spread of dangerous diseases all over the loving world. Folks may not think that a few hundreds cases of measles is no big deal here in the United States, but here's are the CDC results for the whole loving world.

This isn't a loving joke.

Yeah and joe biden made student loan debt un-dischargeable for a windbreaker with the citibank logo on it.

It is, of course, impossible to compare or rank the issues at play here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z. Autobahn posted:

The difference between propagating anti-vaxx views vs imperialism is that your average American watching Joe Biden wax on about the Iraq war can't go out and pilot a drone to bomb a wedding, but they can hear Williamson and choose not to vaccinate their kids or take their anti-depressants. Biden's views are disqualifying because they reveal why he'd be an awful President, but Williamson's views are dangerous *right now* even with her out of power, in a way that is unique and awful just to her. The other candidates reveal the harm they'd do later, but Williamson is the one who is actively doing the harm RIGHT NOW.

having a bad tweet and going back on it: ACTIVELY DOING THE HARM RIGHT NOW

conducting a multiyear blockade of yemen at the behest of the house of saud to intentionally starve the populace and purposely let malaria (something that has a vaccine, interesting) run rampant: not actively doing the harm?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z. Autobahn posted:

She didn't have a bad tweet and go back on it, she's built her entire enterprise on selling snake oil and has years and years of peddling dangerous poo poo like "don't take your anti-depressants". This isn't a dumb one-off statement, it's her entire brand.

And yes of course Biden did actual harm as a Senator, decades of it in fact. Which is why no one is defending Biden or disagreeing with the idea that he sucks and his campaign should go down in such a disastrous plume of flame that it permanently destroys his reputation as a beloved elder statesmen. Everyone itt agrees Biden is the loving worst. The baffling thing is the folks inexplicably defending another very bad candidate like Williamson.

This is “bodycams will solve the police brutality and accountability problem!” levels of delusion. Never mind the forest for the trees, this is missing the Sahara desert for the individual protons in a single grain of sand.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z. Autobahn posted:

The poo poo that Biden is normalizing is already normalized and widespread in a way that anti-vaxx/anti-depressant isn't. Biden isn't a new voice suddenly introducing Americans to the concept of imperialism, he's one lame cog in a massive machine. If Biden got hit by a bus tomorrow, it would impact the normalization of imperialism .01%. But Williamson is spreading a much more fringe set of beliefs and in a way that none of the other candidates are.

It’s a good thing that disneyland has never had a measles outbreak and made national news. It’d be real hosed up if there was several outbreaks going on at once and a very public battle that was demanding local government intervention getting slapped down by the courts.

Glad those things aren’t going on!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Warrens “base” will be immediately be spun down and abandoned much like Obama’s.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why would you carry any sort of water for the PPACA in 2019? Why?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Eiba posted:

I think basically anyone can beat Trump if they don't suck as bad as Clinton... and I think even Clinton could probably have a good shot if she tried again. Trump is, despite his incumbency, incredibly unpopular. I don't think anyone has a particularly bad chance against Trump.

trumps popularity is within 4 points of obama at the same period of their presidencies.

want an unpopular president? go check out how bush 2’s numbers were doing near the end there.

the caveat being that this all doesn’t loving matter because bush 2 has 110% been rehabilitated by all of the peaceniks in the democratic party.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jaxyon posted:

You know, if just one of these times, the response was like "yeah, there's some sexism involved with people's dislike of Warren and that's something we need to take into account, even if that's not the only reason" I'd shut up.

But I don't think I've ever seen that happen. So I keep bringing it up.

warren sucks

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jaxyon posted:

My preferred candidate is Bernie, but by all means, go with the "actually the person who wants to bring sexism up is the real sexist."

no it isn't lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
warren plan includes bonus points on your application for citizenship scorecard as well as a generous (6 month) fast tracking of your application.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not real. It's a story, just like the stories we tell in cover letters about how our entry-level garbage jobs changed our lives or whatever. That's what they're taught to do from a young age. They learn how to convert every single experience they've ever had into a story of life-changing importance that can be used on a college admissions essay or something, and by the time they're done with their elite education and don't need to pretend they're earning it with merit anymore, the behavior is baked too deep into their brains to turn off.

I looked up the quote (turns out his book is readable for free online in Google Books) to get some context, and that's definitely the kind of thing he's doing there: crafting bullshit for an audience. He presents his work at McKinsey not as a job, but as just another chapter in his education and personal progression. He claims he chose McKinsey not because it fit his skills and education, but because after graduating with honors from Oxford he knew he had to get out of his cloistered elite bubble and learn about the hard, gritty real world beyond the cozy confines of university classrooms.

Similarly, when he left McKinsey, he claims it wasn't because he hated spending 80-hour weeks crunching grocery store price data to optimize sale price timing. Instead, he claims that it's because he had just been there to learn, and now that he felt he had learned all they could teach him, it was time to graduate from the School of McKinsey and find a worthy cause to dedicate his life to...

...and then he completely abandons that whole "sense of purpose" storyline as he shifts gears to talk about how he realized that as a member of the upper class, it's his responsibility to join the military like the Kennedies and Bushes did. No talk of cause or purpose here - he's very clear that the reason he joined the reserves was so it could be just a temporary thing, a way to rack up a couple years of military service without being a career officer.

Mayor Pete has been a mercenary all his life?

Must have been some sort of terrible infant.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

She also tells women facing postpartum depression to forget medication and pray, and spoke out against increased efforts to screen women for depression rather than just ignoring them.

Man, these are some real loving progressive values right here. Why are so many of you so enamored with an obvious, capitalist grifter? She’s only running to sell books and speaking fees, even if she does impress you by saying the exact same poo poo that’s been said here a thousand times.

it's funny

you remember humor, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z. Autobahn posted:

Williamson is also a huge liar and grifter, hth

Oh, so you two have a lot in common?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with this whataboutism bullshit. I’m not supporting Warren, I’m loving tired of seeing people who claim to be progressive not give a poo poo about public health or science in general. This isn’t funny or “nerd poo poo”, these are people’s loving lives.

it's nerd poo poo and you're not funny, so 1 out of 2

not bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
warren has a plan to guarantee access to mobilizing as a base

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, but have you considered that she’s just cynically saying those things to increase her book sales??????

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

what the gently caress?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
for further reference:

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1153010121376751616
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1153013654759100416

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

in the current context of no-cash-bail and the progressive movement,

this one politician "once" pushed to INCREASE bail.

SO SHE IS CANCELLED

Truly, frenz, this is her Ralph Northam moment.

why are you like this?

Harris sucks, you don’t need to prostrate yourself defending an awful former AG from her awful decisions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A big flaming stink posted:

The new Yorker did an article about how gillibrand screwed franken and how everyone hates gillibrand for the one objectively good thing she did

That article sucks poo poo lmao

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1153298025823002628

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mcmagic posted:

The correct 3rd choice is Jay Inslee.

nah, it’s whoever the brain genius is who came up with this scheme

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1153334905608294402

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

Jay will be a bangin' Interior Sec.

Great, now you want to bang jay.

You’re being real adult here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

"we shouldn't poll people, we should just do what we think is right"

like... I agree we should generally be "doing what is right", but also, polling is a useful goddamn tool of public policy. "We shouldn't ask what people want" is a goddamn ~take~, friend.

polling is useless and is a scam being perpetrated by people who think that data science is a good cover for the jankem they’re selling

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i expected that people in this forum would not actually read about the article but post about it anyway, and that's exactly what i got lol

oh sorry for not adequately providing a 10k word critique of the dogshit apologia being published in the new yorker that i read earlier this morning, i didn't realize that forums user kotex god of blood would be collecting book reports.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

jane mayer is an excellent writer and researcher and it deserves your time if you want to talk about it!

i guess we should take this to a thread that isn't about the presidential primary, but

isn't the thrust of the article. mayer makes a really convincing case that the primary allegation against him was a hit job, and the rest are, at best, flimsy in their content and suspicious in their context

was.

past tense.

let's trace jane mayer's career blowing the lid open on american torture programs (plural), to digging up dirt on the kochs, and then ending up at a new yorker piece about how franken only had 7 accusers (and only 2 of them after he took his seat in the senate, so it's not that bad if you think about it). drat, what happened?

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 22, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gripweed posted:

There's a loving photograph of Al Franken pretending to grope an unconscious woman, and that's one of the women who accused him of being inappropriate

yeah, but numbers fuckstein over here has calculated out that there's only a 1.09277 x 10^-7 % chance of being groped (or a pantomimed groping) by former (unjustly) disgraced senator, and comedian, al franken

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1153702580771598339

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

Also I doubt that unpaid interns are included as 0's in those averages.

well as glenn kessler helpfully pointed out a few weeks ago, people who have $0 should be discarded from any statistical analysis

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

Is he running on the plan to intervene, decommoditize, and redistribute? How successful was he in these steps when he was the mayor of a town in Vermont? How possible would it be for a president to do any of this?

I think the point Weigie Weigs is making is that Bernie's got rhetoric and Warren's making plans. If he's got plans, it'd be pretty simple for Bernie to just say that he's got plans. He's been running for president for 5 years.

How is saying “I have a plan for that” not rhetoric, but somehow a direct statement telling real estate developers to gently caress off is? :psyduck:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

Idk, maybe.

Maybe Warren understands that political fights are secondary to having plans and that there are ways to redress divergences of interests, maybe she has the base that she has precisely because she lays bare plans to to improve peoples lives, and maybe the media should actually report on who's got actual plans AND BILLS in congress instead of taking a Bart Simpson act at face value.

And is everyone going to stand up and clap at the end?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that "vastly" is doing a lot of legwork in post, because I'm certain they're "vastly" more comfortable with Biden, Buttigieg, and Harris. We're still talking about a TOP TEN candidate list, man.

I didn't realize I was being asked to defend media narratives.

Maybe you guys should be whining about Dave Wiegel in a thread about the media.

the dave weigel (or as like someone likes to say davey wavey wiggle wiggle wumwum) tweet is completely benign. it’s vague enough where people can easily interpret it to mean whatever they want, for example: this is why warren is cool and good and a serious candidate unlike bernie.

oddly enough, all of the people with donuts in their handle all came to the same conclusion you did. weird.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Democrazy posted:

I’m not saying you hate Warren, I’m just saying that the line about Warren’s beliefs in the 90’s is a bad line. That’s the long and short of it.

It’s relevant, so deal with it.

If you don’t want to feel like you’re going out of your way defending a presidential candidate who used to be a republican until the 90s, then uh... don’t?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chilichimp posted:

What does the donut in handle reference even mean?

It means nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Democrazy posted:

If you say that Warren can’t be trusted or is dumb because of views she held in the 90’s, I believe that’s an attack, even an attack against someone you may otherwise like.

drat, never thought of it that way...