Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Democrazy posted:

My serious analysis is that a secret winner of this debate might be Bernie Sanders. While he didn’t do anything spectacular in the debate, he didn’t do anything too bad, and debates were never going to be his strong suit, anyway. He also is likely to benefit from Biden’s meltdown, as there has been some polling showing an overlap between Biden and Bernie’s support.

Basically at this point, I'll take any event that fucks Biden over and prevents anyone but Bernie or Warren from winning. One, the other or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Who gives a gently caress? To the recent Marianne Williamson fans ITT (assuming you're not doing a really bad troll): what in the gently caress is wrong with you? You're what's wrong with America. We're not electing a loving anti-vax, anti-science "power of positive thought!!" moron made famous by bored white housewives on Oprah!! Jesus Christ we're a dumb as gently caress country. I really don't feel I can be nice about this anymore. People are dying. Many more will. Stop loving around and get serious about what's in front of us.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m pretty sure the Marianne “fans” are doing a sort of bit. No one really wants her to be the nominee. It’s entertaining to have one total kook in the debates, like with Mike Gravel or Ross Perot.

I allow for this possibility but I just have no loving patience for it. Folks ITT already know I had no patience for the stupid Gravel thing either. No. Joke. Candidates.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

We get it, you hate fun. Congratulations on freaking out over two no hopers who were never going to be the nominee because you hate fun that much.

Look who's back after all. Yeah, I hate fun when little kids are rotting and dying in concentration camps. I really do. loving sue me.

Boy am I loving glad I never followed anyone's advice to listen to these assholes. They contribute nothing but worthless bullshit to the political zeitgeist in this country.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

Really telling that the centrists think that a vociferous anti-imperialist is a joke candidate.

An 89yo 9/11 truther absolutely is. I saw plenty of anti-war candidates onstage last night including some guy named...Bernie was it?

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 28, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

Being as gullible as possible about a magic crystal anti-vax woo-woo scammer is the new woke lmao

In this thread we went from "rooting for her ~ironically~ " to having uncritical stans for this idiot in the time it takes to have a long lunch haha

Right. Over my morning coffee I was being no fun and lacking a sense of humor by making GBS threads on her and anyone supporting her. By lunch the "irony" mask has slipped and here we are.

theblackw0lf posted:

Besides, I have quite a few extremely smart activist friends who are also into new-agey spiritualism. (Crystals, tarot cards, astral plane projection, etc..)

Sorry if your friends put any stock whatsoever in poo poo like that, they're not smart. They're actually pretty loving dumb.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

Williamson is bad but I am totally willing to ironically stan for her as long as she’s not actually any threat to win.

Dude this LITERALLY is how we have Trump. Remember people saying "OMG we MEMED a president into office!"

I don't think she'll win either but this sort of thinking is so wrong-headed and dangerous I've no idea where to begin.

kidkissinger posted:

yeah she's legitimately better than half the field at this point

Which means jack poo poo about her and is more of an indictment of how many trash Centrists the Democrats have in their party.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

No it’s not, I hate this argument because it obscures the reality of why Trump is popular among the right wing. It’s not because he’s a meme, it’s because he’s a racist piece of poo poo who will be racist in public.

Williamson is not going to meme her way through the Democratic primary because she doesn’t have any kind of draw like Trump did with his racism to his base.

I mean that was an actual quote from many folks I saw crowing about his win so :shrug: Obviously, thank God, special crystals and other hokum horseshit don't attract a crowd like hatin' on some minorities, so luckily for the nation, the few morons that buy the poo poo she's shoveling won't amount to much in the end. I just hate seeing people claim that "Oh, I'm just laughing while I claim to like her" whilst ignoring the simple truth we supposedly all reckoned with post-2016: that irony becomes reality after long enough. Ironic racism is racism and etc. But yet ironically cheering for Crystal Lady is OK? Just looking for ideological consistency.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

Eh, they're pretty amazing organizers and strategists. Highly respected in the activist world around LA.

Not mutually exclusive. Ben Carson was a skilled neurosurgeon. He's...not that bright otherwise.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I mean theres a strong possibility that my brain is infested with a unique species of brainworms, but the more I hear about her the better she seems? And her weird wine mom approach to things might work out for her with people who arent politics nerds like us, we'll see I guess

See this is what I mean. Seek help for your brainworms please.

Mellow Seas posted:

Trump seemed like a joke to us and to the MSM, but Republicans took him very seriously from the start. He was at the top of the polls within, like, 20 minutes of calling Mexicans rapists. Williamson is at 0-1%. She’s not a threat and we can absolutely make her our fun meme candidate.

No thanks.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

....wow. His campaign's ongoing self-destruction amuses me.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

Not sure why believing in the power of crystals or astral plane projection is any more strange than believing in angels or demons and that a god raised a person from the dead after dying on a cross.

Just for clarity, I don't believe in any of that poo poo either. Just in case you were curious if I was being hypocritical about what I said before.

Groovelord Neato posted:

so pretty much our only hope is historically great youth turnout in the primary.

I've been harping on this for months now.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TGLT posted:

I am impressed that Delaney found the centrist position on vaccine mandates.

Never underestimate the true Centrists' ability to Centrist EVERY issue. Every single one. Diet Evil.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

it's the same thing as Gravel being a 9/11 Truther totally discrediting him because his Truther conspiracy is anti- endless war and military industrial complex. But Tim Ryan can be a Truther congressman with a place at the debates while still thinking the Taliban did 9/11 because his Truther conspiracy is flattering to neocon Democrats and the military industrial complex.

To be fair, I hate Tim Ryan too. Just checking in since I'm a well known "GTFO Gravel" person.

EDIT

And yeah, you're dead wrong in how you describe his trutherism. I've seen this misrepresentation before ITT but I'm too tired right now to discuss it further. But I took note of it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

What the hell is this, Scientology?

Don't you mean "yaasss queen"? I thought she was cool now?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bernie's ultimately gonna win due to a far superior ground game compared to the rest of the pack, and that's just how it is.

Point of order: I thought it was a well established and actually oft-mentioned fact ITT that Warren was the one with the biggest staff and number of field offices by far. In fact that was used as reasoning to pronounce her run dead only mere months ago. But Bernie's is formidable, yes.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Her increased in funding has helped her, but the number of volunteers just isn't there.

OK, volunteers is another story and yeah, I don't have headcounts but my off the cuff guess would be Bernie has poo poo tons. I imagine though if she ends up the last one standing after Biden and others drop off and the voters continue flocking to her message, that will come along with it. But that's a few really big "ifs" :shrug:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Those people don't volunteer. Olds and wine moms are pretty lazy as far as political activism.

Historically, yeah. This era though? Seems like that's a lot of what I encountered in SoCal Indivisible groups and they're definitely active. The one near me had that nationally famous weekly protest against Issa, for instance.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Punk da Bundo posted:

i like how the thread continues to poo poo on Marianne yet she's better than every loving neoliberal shill up there, and you have nothing to back up your argument other than "she's sooo wackyyyy".

Marianne wouldn't go to war, she supports reparations, she wants you to have healthcare, she's against imperialism.

she's better than harris, biden, booker, warren. literally only Bernie is a better choice.

I have to disagree with LK. I find this gimmick insipid, tiring, uninspired, and rage inducing. Oh, and stupid as gently caress. Liberal.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s ok, the Marianne stans will be punished in due time like the Basta stans, for they have forsaken the One True Church of the Bern.

And I will be right here to rub their faces in it too, completely without apology for my schadenfreude. I never liked that motherfucker either and stuck right by my suggestion that maybe just because a con man says he agrees with you and hates who you hate, that does not confer any sort of honesty or integrity to him whatsoever. People were taken in. They paid the price in shame. And they will again.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jon Joe posted:

I like playing magical space stan in C-SPAM but yes that sums up my feelings perfectly.

As it does mine.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Luckyellow posted:

Wow you're such a grumpy old man. It's almost like you forgot you're on a comedy forum.

Beside weren't you the rear end in a top hat who got his panty in a knot over the best anti-imperalism candidate?

Funny, I don't even need to say anything. You already got owned by KM.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

King of Solomon posted:

Irrespective of any bullshit with Luckyellow, you were wrong to be upset by Gravel though.

Nah. I regret nothing.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

King of Solomon posted:

Doesn't really matter if you regret it, you were wrong. Issue candidates - especially for issues that have basically no representation in national politics like anti-imperialism - are good and important.

Right. I'll gather up some McChickens and magic crystals and give a toast to the "issue candidates."

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

exactly plus williamson gives us vaccinations for the worst disease of all: liberal centrism

also america really deserves way worse than 1000 measle epidemics for its crimes so her anti-vax, pro "faith" based healing is really a bonus if you think about it

You motherfuckers have gone through the Irony Singularity and come out the other side with this bullshit. I can't even call this Galaxy Brain anymore. Trump's brainworms are clearly contagious.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

There is also a huge amount of privilege thrown in a lot of those posts holy moly

Especially dude from MI who said he'd happily throw his vote away and let Trump win, as if that's going to teach anyone a lesson.

My people fought and died for the right to vote for people who didn't give a gently caress about us. There's a very strong part of me that just wants to be like "Poor thing, you don't like voting for the lesser of two evils? We've been doing it for nearly a century so put on your big boy pants and make sure the worse guy doesn't win and remember we're still going to get hosed more than you"

But that's the point. They can afford the protest vote or to stay home. Some people can't.

Yeah that Michigan guy LITERALLY is why we have Trump. It really sucks that for all the actual work you're doing and have done up there in helping get good folks like Tlaib elected, you've got pedantic fuckwits like that poster sitting there going "Well, have you considered, LIBERAL, that the Crazy Crystal Lady is Actually Good and I'll only vote for her and no one else!!" and help pull against all the effort you've expended. That guy deserves a punch in the face meant for a Nazi, just for being idiotic.

EDIT

You're 100% right about the privilege. The right to vote is so loving funny and this big joke when you're not threatened constantly with it being taken away.

Typo posted:

without a leftist like williamson or bernie in 2020, we will only get a fascist-lite president like warren or full-on fascist president like biden or harris. And that only sets us up for a competent fascist in 2024.

Williamson or bust

You're an idiot. I won't be nice about this. A loving idiot.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 29, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Typo is probably being ironic because he's doing a crossover between Marianne support and his CCP alter ego.

i say probably because there's a serious risk that his CCP alter ego has eaten or will eat his actual views

that said I want him to keep refining his Marianne arguments, sorry if that winds up making your head literally explode VH

I've already said I've sort of lost my sense of humor about political stuff. I won't apologize for it nor be shamed for it either. I like a good joke, I have a loving COMEDIAN in my av for gently caress's sakes. But I don't know, somewhere between the full scale of concentration camps I have within an hour or two's drive of me, a dead kid and her dad on the Rio Grande which is just oh so loving funny to the CHUDS...somewhere in there I lost my ability to laugh at anyone's oh so cute and edgy irony. So save your energy. Your jokes, Typo's, etc...they will go over my head because I don't find any of this poo poo funny. We need to rid ourselves of the open criminal chief executive we have. We need to do a fuckton more. I don't feel we have space for ironic edgy jokes about who we get behind to do this.

EDIT

And lest I forget, like KM reminds us, this irony bullshit reeks of loving white privilege.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tbf part of the reason i mostly don't post in this thread outside of amusing shitposts is that it's obviously Sanders > Warren >

Gillibrand?
> losers and unless there's actual news that I think is interesting it's a fairly boring thread contentwise for me

but you know what is both content and is good when I'm in stark-terror mode re: Williiamson and the Bad Timeline?

https://twitter.com/jenmariewilde/status/1144633811579412482?s=12

Tim Ryan is probably my most disliked Dem candidate outside of Gabbard (and I fully admit that the degree of my dislike for her is basically irrational because I'm Real Mad that the most prominent Hindu politician in America is bad in Hindu-Nationalist-adjacent ways) and some guy whose name rhymes with Schmoe Schmiden. He bad.

Yeah she's not just dangerous because of her opinions on vaccines, she represents a sort of brokebrained thinking that I see all the loving time because my mother (the CHUD currently) is the exact sort of (I love her but I'm going to be honest here) simple-minded, I need an easy solution to explain the world's complexities type that falls into this pattern of thinking well, if I only fake being happy and positive long enough all my problems go away! All it does is put a flowery front end on the same bootstraps bullshit CHUDs and libertarians talk about. It also makes the person mentally check out of any of the work involved in truly changing their situation. People don't succeed by sitting in a chair dream-willing some reality to live in. That's called denial, and it's loving insidious and quite stunning up close. That's as personal as I'll get but yeah, my hate for some quasi-spiritual guru like Marianne goes way, way deeper than her opinions on vaccines. I hate her type. gently caress all hokum-peddling spirituality-twisting rear end in a top hat huckster lunatics like her preying on the gullible forever. And gently caress anyone who defends such people.

TulliusCicero posted:

I have news for all you "can't vote because principles" people:

Republicans vote. Every single loving time. Even the Never Trumpers will come back to daddy, because in the end only their wallets, their team, and their superiority in the hierarchy and society matter. They WILL vote for Trump, and they have rigged the game so badly even loving Democrat vote matters despite being the majority of the population.

So loving vote

Right. This is literally the point of all those "The Dems are going too far left, don't leave me behind!" think piece opinion articles in NYT and elsewhere. They'll go Trump in a flat second unless the Dems nominate some trash Centrist like Biden they can stomach voting for. gently caress them.

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't she the only candidate to explicitly say we need reparations for slavery last night.

So we're just forgetting that other candidates are already on the record as being supportive of reparations. OK. So you Marianne stan motherfuckers are just gonna lie to find ways to support her now.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 29, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Punk da Bundo posted:

shut the gently caress up liberal , Tlaib is my rep and I voted for her . I vote for leftist candidates . I will stay home if Biden is the nominee . gently caress this “vote blue no matter who” cowardice .

Stupid loving lanyard .

Bernie was right, it can be self affirming being hated by the right people. I welcome your hatred. You gimmick troll motherfucker.

Edit

Where did I defend Biden? Or ever say vote blue no matter who? I shat on Marianne.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 29, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

If you vote for fascist pig Kamala Harris you are the problem

if you vote for segregationist Joe Biden you are the problem

if you vote for bourgeois liz warren you are the problem

ultimately the only way things will ever change is when the type of shitlibs itt are completely removed from politics by any means necessary

Way to disabuse the notion that Bernie will run gulags like Stalin. You're insane.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

I only wish Bernie would throw you where you belong

You wanna meet me on the streets sometime, rear end in a top hat? I'll show you where the gently caress you belong.

Go ahead and probe me, mods. gently caress this place.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Meltdown May has been over for a while, buddy.

Sure. Let's get gulags for everyone. Such productive discussion in here. gently caress the lot of you right now. Except KM.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Divot posted:

New ABC / Wapo poll that looks quite a bit different than some others already posted ITT.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1146359918460583936

Biden down to a 6 point lead from what, like over 15 or whatever before? After one debate.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

By then America will be either socialist or fascist and either way he will not be viable.

Yeah, thing is about Biden's popularity is that once it goes down it's almost certainly going to stay down, because it's a mix of name recognition and 'electability', both of which are extremely flaky and will flee the moment someone else appears remotely viable or says something that actually gets their attention. And Biden has failed miserably in every single competitive election he's run in even when he wasn't obviously senile.

I agree. Once you lose "Oh, Biden...Obama...better times..." what is there to bring a person back? Especially if what's turning people off is the fact that your brain no longer works correctly?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Meh. Not sure why nationwide numbers matter since this isn't a "nationwide" election yet. Nice to see the overall sentiment is at least behind one of the Bernie/Warren duo but yeah, to me this poll is useless.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Maybe if Gravel wanted to go to the debate, he could've made literally a single public appearance anywhere, or done literally even a single rally.

It's almost as if it's really a stunt being run by a few dumb teenagers or something.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

Thank god you were here to tell me that. It's not like I have an example from the last handful of DAYS of a major candidate taking time out of her campaign to be absolutely sure she backpeddled her position on school integration busing because politicians actually care about public perceptions of their integrity or anything.

I had to look this up because, honestly, I've been spending a lot less time ITT and paying attention in general these last couple weeks, but wow. So Kamala fully already chucked her own "powerful personal story" in the trash and moved on. That was so Selina Meyer it's shocking. But I guess not unexpected.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

OB_Juan posted:

I haven't seen any of the candidates say anything about the border camps yet. Maybe I've missed it? It seems like a current, pressing issue they'd like to publicly comment on. Did I miss their stances somewhere?

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1146214276165722112

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1146070277589065729

And then of course in the debates: https://www.politico.com/video/2019/06/26/julian-castro-on-migrant-detention-conditions-it-should-piss-us-all-off-068387

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Just curious what the remaining "Warren is still running out of money" true believers make of this:

https://twitter.com/TeamWarren/status/1148290672484605953

EDIT

Sorry to interrupt your "repeat the same arguments for and against Williamson over and over" circle jerk with some actual loving primary news. Holy horseshit has this thread sucked since someone threatened to have Bernie throw me in a gulag.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Calibanibal posted:

As a "Warren is still running out of money" true believer, I think she's lying about the numbers.

You're like a "joke" account or whatever but just to respond to this point generally: uh, isn't this something they have to report to the FEC, and have to report accurately? It's not like she can tell us one number and the FEC another, that's not even what Beto did in March when he tried to fake us all out. Which is how it was exposed. The FEC data showed he got a few huge shadowy donations not a ton of money from actual people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
More:

https://twitter.com/ActorAaronBooth/status/1148292573590675457

LOL @ Bullock being 7th in fundraising and yet not qualifying for the debates.