Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but any tax increase on the middle class would be completely neutralized by the fact that health insurance premiums would no longer be a thing, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yiggy posted:

I hope Biden loses but thats a pretty unremarkable peck. I kiss my daughter that way. If our 2nd is a boy I don't see it as weird to kiss him that way. My parents kissed me that way. Like, if it was random dem organizer with no relation I get it... But as a parent that seems pretty normal and boring to me.

You kiss your daughter on the lips?

...why?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: forget it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

There's nothing to be confused about; Warren's plan being complex and detailed doesn't make it "good" in and of itself.

I don't think that's the argument eke was making; he was objecting to the fact that people were dismissing it out of hand because it was detailed. I read the plan. It's very good.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

My point is that, given precedent during this primary, it is not rational to interpret this as "Warren will probably be better on broadband because she has this plan out," since people made this exact same argument when she released her student loan forgiveness plan and housing plan (only for Sanders to unsurprisingly release things just as detailed and generally better later). In a void, that interpretation might make sense, but we have enough context to realize that it's probably not accurate.

And the broader thing I was referring to is the tendency of Warren supporters to be unwilling to engage in general discussions about why their candidate is better, with them instead just sort of pointing out specific pro-Warren or anti-Sanders things without ever engaging in a broader comparison.

Wow, this is absolutely not true. We've been more than willing to admit when Warren's plans have shortcomings--her $500/month prescription costs plank and her rent control plan come to mind--but the fact is that she supports abolishing the filibuster, which, if she becomes President, gives her plans more likelihood of actually coming to fruition.

More Warren supporters would be willing to engage if there wasn't a general sentiment of "If you do not support Bernie Sanders as your first choice, you are a morally bankrupt lanyard" among others.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What stood out to me in Warren's plan is that she wrote more words about broadband than about helping rural people make ends meet, and she still says she's for Medicare for All while refusing to define what she thinks Medicare for All is beyond "access to affordable care" and "lower health care costs." Beyond that her plan is basically a carbon copy of the plan Bernie put out months ago.

Treating broadband Internet as a public utility would go a long way towards helping rural folks make ends meet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Phone posted:

What’s better

Option 1:

Option 2:

This is in no way analogous to what Warren is doing; nor is it in any way germane to the discussion at hand. Her plan is good because it is good, not because it has more words, not because it has more details, it is good because it will make the lives of millions of people better if it becomes reality.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

But the Warren plan isn't better - it is more detailed. We literally don't know whether it is better than what Sanders ends up coming up with

The first sentence literally contradicts the second. You see that, right? If Sanders doesn't have a plan yet, how can you say the Warren plan "isn't as good"? I feel like you and others are really just struggling to avoid acknowledging that someone besides Bernie had a good policy idea.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 7, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They're the same policy idea. Unless you think a Sanders-drafted broadband infrastructure bill would end up being a giveaway to Comcast or something.

And of course Warren hasn't actually drafted anything either, she wrote a Medium post. We don't know for certain what a Warren bill would look like because she doesn't seem to put out quite as many bills as she does "plans."

I don't understand...so because Warren hasn't introduced it as legislation in a Senate where it won't even get a vote, this makes it bad?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Since you seem to have missed the rest of the post you quoted, I pointed out that this exact same discussion happened before when Warren released her student loan forgiveness and housing plans. People made the same argument you're making here - Warren should be assumed to be better on those issues because Sanders hasn't released a detailed plan yet. Only, unsurprisingly, he did release a plan that was better later.

This is not what happened on student loan forgiveness; he proposed a funding mechanism that was completely unworkable. I feel like many people showed why already.

quote:

As I said, in a vacuum your opinion on this would make sense. But this isn't a vacuum and we have a lot of precedent with which to judge these candidates. Many Warren supporters have an inaccurate perception of Sanders as being less competent in terms of policy than Warren, and it comes out in discussions like this.

I don't believe Sanders is less competent in terms of policy; but I believe that he places less value on campaigning with policy and more on appeals to raw emotion. That isn't to say that appeals to emotion, especially on things like immigration and student loan forgiveness, aren't very useful, but you're using them to decide that Warren is some sort of crypto-fascist because she doesn't do this. Declaring Sanders superior because his campaign DOESN'T rely on policy specifics is just as intellectually dishonest as claiming Warren is superior solely because her plans use lots of words. It sort of feels like that's what you guys are doing.

And there is one principle I mentioned above: even if Warren's plans are only about 90-95% similar to Sanders' in many respects, she will advocate for abolishing the Senate filibuster. If this comes to pass and she is President, her plans may actually become reality.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

See, this is some serious galaxy brain poo poo here. Are we actually supposed the believe that Bernie loving Sanders, the guy who has waged a dogged one-man war to realize his political goals for over four decades by now, would just throw up his hands and admit defeat when faced by US Senate procedural bullshit? Are you talking about some alternate dimension Bernie Sanders or what?

This was the most recent thing I could find. He's willing to do it through reconciliation and such, but nothing I could find indicates he'd support getting rid of the filibuster, whereas Warren has tweeted multiple times in support of doing just that.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/11/18306132/bernie-sanders-filibuster-budget-reconciliation-medicare-60-votes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

I agree with this. The fact that her performance didn't help her all that much, particularly compared to the Comey memo, just suggests that the debates weren't particularly important factors in that election.

That said, I think there's an important lesson there for the 2020 debates, ie: winning like Clinton did may not be all that helpful to Sanders or Warren or whoever.

It might help, since Sanders and Warren will not have open FBI investigations and an utter, utter inability to relate to people on a personal level.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

:lol:

No she didn't. She lost the rust belt on her trade policies, and what was her response to Trump's accurate criticism of NAFTA? "Well that's your opinion" *loses Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania*

Liberals think she won because she sounded smug, and they assumed that the only reason anyone disagreed was because of sexism, but if you reversed the sexes of the candidates and had actors play them then everyone would realize she really won once their biases weren't clouding their judgment.

Then a sociologist did that and whoops turns out it was liberals who realized Hillary's arguments were phony bullshit, covered up with her being a smug prick about it.

This is some impressive revisionist history right here. Of course she won the debates; the problem was that other events (and circumstances) made it not matter.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Helsing posted:

Just wait till Russigate comes home to roost and the FBI starts dropping reports on how these candidates are receiving massive social media assistance from Chinese bots who are retaliating against Trump's extremely effective trade war.

Sure, and while I'm at it, I'll eagerly anticipate Trump revealing that he's a lizard person from the planet Zarg too.

After all, that's about as likely to happen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

The idea that Donald Trump (or the FBI) would never blatantly abuse their power for personal advantage is kind of a new one in the hot take collection, I gotta say.

This isn't that and you know it; please try to be intellectually honest. The FBI is not going to do this, and any investigation by Trump's DOJ is going to look hilariously politically motivated. The only people who will believe there's any "there" there are people already in his camp. Trump suffers from a credibility gap that's the size of the Grand Canyon; no one that isn't a chud trusts a single word that comes out of his mouth.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

The FBI investigated Bernie's Sander's wife for some bullshit already

Yes, and it's definitely stayed front page news and mortally wounded his candidacy because Bernie's penchant for secrecy over a 30-year stint in the Washington spotlight has destroyed his credibility.

Oh, wait...