Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

pretty much every single comment on NPRs Facebook article about Harris winning the debate is about how Buttigieg was the real winner because he didn't raise his voice and showed composure.

Folks loving love a professional white man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly I'm mad with Marianne for bailing Pete out of Swalwell's attempted knifing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I think there's a miscommunication going on. I really doubt that anybody here is actually going to vote for Williamson in the primary. We're all Bernie voters or Warren nerds.

But, a lot of people still appreciate Williamson as a presence in the debate. We can talk about how she has good individual policies, and others can counter with her bad policies, and so on, but I don't think that's what's really motivating people to like her. I think the reason people like her is that not only does she come across as a genuinely good person on stage next to the usual gaggle of loving robots, but she actually talks about emotions. For far too long, Democrats have treated politics like some miserable debate for nerds where they all compete to to be the most bi-partisanly reasonable. So when a woman who seems like she actually cares about things is on stage next to goddamn Buttigieg and starts talking about how Trump has gotten into all of our brains and made us feel worse, gently caress yeah we like her! We want her to stay on that stage, to keep addressing the actual psychic damage done by the Trump administration.

You guys can be like "oh, look at her trade policy proposal, it doesn't address the blugdbb..." all you want, Williamson is actually talking about the daily mental assault that living under the Trump administration is. That's why we like her.

I'm not going to vote for her, but I like her and I want her to stay on that debate stage long after Delany and Beto and Tim.... I wanna say Reynolds? are gone.

This is, like, fair enough but it's embarrassing how some folks basically went into a meltdown over her bad points being mentioned and it's those embarrassing meltdowns that are setting the discourse on this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oof. That is a lot of minimizing (and ignoring) of terrible poo poo and assumed good intentions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I mean, like in a sane world people would see any of these quotes and go, "Oh yeah, this guy sucks!" but I'm sure there will be polls where somehow his support goes up or stays steady because in our world people go "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I DON'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT POLITICS LA LA LA LA LA."

For real. This is the party where most people plugged their ears and told themselves someone incapable of avoiding scandal and who'd had a decades-long campaign waged against them on top of that was even remotely electable.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I don't know why that post continued on from there.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

She lost to the only possible person with a competing claim of worst candidate in history after being helped tremendously by the existential dread that other candidate inspired in millions. She was never "electable" and if her opponent had been a stock Republican she'd have been embarassed even futher.

In general though, lol at someone's politics being so contemptible that they snap to defend the honor of a ghoulish war criminal who is 100% gonna burn in eternal hellfire due to the hell she helped visit upon millions of people.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This tweet seems pretty innocuous to me. Good thing you're here to read between the lines and let us know she actually meant "American Empire Forever!"

The hate for Warren in this thread doesn't actually seem to be particularly grounded in reality, but instead on this kind of nonsense.

I know I'll get laughed at for going to her website (because Clinton had a website!) but:

It's actually grounded on poo poo like her approving of Israel exploding Palestinian schools and hospitals but I'm far beyond the point of expecting her fans to acknowledge her warhawking horseshit at this point.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

He had a better passer rating in those playoffs than he did when he won with Indy, and that includes a game winning drive. This isn't a good analogy for you.

You are literally moving the goalposts on a football analogy of all things.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

No, unless this is like when he used cowboys instead of broncos and you also mean something else?

The playoffs are not the super bowl. The analogy was fine and you weirdly chose to overcomplicate a matter that's been widely agreed on because ???.

In less stupid avenues of discussion,

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1145115870781423618

Boy what a loving shock that Liz's uptick of support was soft as hell.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Bernie has been seriously campaigning for four years. Thus far he has a ceiling of around 20% with total name recognition. The premise of creating a broad working class coalition to push through transformative change hasn't at all come to fruition; his polling among black voters is still dismal. But people still insist he is "electable."

So there probably is something to the idea that "electable" is a sophisticated way to say "candidate I agree with."

As always, either back it up or shut up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Typo posted:

Bernie's actual problem this cycle btw is more with older voters in general rather than race/gender, something like <30% of 65+ say they would even -consider- voting for him and he's at 7% with them. The average age of Dem primary voter in 2016 is something between 47-52.

if you expect huge surge of young voters he does win but that's a huge if

i think people are typically pretty honest about Bernie's chances being tied to youth mobilization?

With the frustrating part being that polling companies literally do not care about grabbing anyone who isn't a boomer or older so there's not any way to gauge effectiveness until actual voting happens.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Majorian posted:

What's your source?

Also are we doing that thing where latinx folks don't exist.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I don’t have any confusing triangular graphs to back me up but my understanding is that Bernie “isn’t doing well” with black voters simply because Biden is and you can’t (in the paradigm of a poll) support two candidates at once. If/when Biden crashes Bernie should be picking up a lot of black voters, because they actually “like” him - in a fav/unfav sense - more than white voters.

This is essentially correct, yes. His favorables are perfectly fine among the demo, but it's been a thing going back to 2016 to frame "not the first choice of" as "completely despises."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's a fair statement to make when viewing Palestinians as human isn't conducive to getting that sweet AIPAC support.

In any case I don't know how anyone can look at stuff like this and think Harris is in any way committed to civil rights.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 1, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

This is entirely folks angry at that ~mean black woman~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Biden's collapse is good or bad for Bernie. The bad thing for Bernie is that the centrists in the race like Major Butt and Harris are hugging him and his policies so that if you're a typical voter, Bernie isn't able to stand out.

Yeah, the biggest issue outside of Biden is other contenders realizing that it behooves them to make positive statements about Bernie's policies and that they can always walk it back later knowing that at this stage hardly anyone is going to see it. See: Kamala twice going back on the private insurance bit at this point, in addition to her little stunt of no-showing that AIPAC conference and instead welcoming them with a closed-door meeting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The other reason to not take Warren seriously, again, is that she has already said that she'll be welcoming big donors back should she make it to the GE.

Judakel posted:

Warren comes out in favor of whatever will get her numbers up, and this should be a huge red flag that makes that case. This is an inconsequential thing to debate, because it ain't happening.

Also this. Her campaign to this point has been nothing but her throwing out everything she can to gain momentum. So much of it is getting dropped once she no longer has to set herself apart.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 2, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also, again, she's a warhawking poo poo who is perfectly OK with serious crimes against humanity.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I mean I find it difficult to trust someone who genuinely believes that a tax on stock and bond trades is a good idea.

Hahah of course this is what it boils down to.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Another reminder that Warren had the chance to make the biggest political impact of her life by either running in 2016 or, failing that, endorsing Bernie to try to stop the party from putting forth the human manifestation of ghoulish failure.

Instead, she was a complete and total coward.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This is a matter of debate, to say the least.

I generally share everyone's sentiments regarding politicians who "flip-flop" based on public opinion polls, but also I find it difficult to fault someone for listening to what the public wants. To me, it depends on the candidate, and what kind of person they are generally. Warren has an extremely solid track record when it comes to fighting for causes she believes in. To me, it's okay if she isn't fully sure on other issues, and has come around to them only recently. In my humble opinion, this doesn't make her any less trustworthy.

The key thing here is that we don't think she believes in these causes and, as such, will not fight for them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oracle posted:

Its fear of the unknown plain and simple. When what's at stake is your health and ultimately your life and that of your loved ones people get pretty risk averse pretty drat quick.

You could see this a lot a few years ago even when it was put into the heads of folks with pre-existing conditions that going to M4A would result in that protection being scrapped.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's definitely something that really cant come from Bernie himself due to pre-existing narratives - it cant even come from his campaign staff, as any comments from, say, Turner or Gray will just be attributed to "Bernie's staff (which you should assume is white and male)."

It is not an optimal situation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I want Bernie to win, but look at this poll, let's all give up and agree Biden is the nominee. I really want Bernie to win though, as a Bernie supporter, let's all give up ok.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Please justify this probation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I just don't think this space has room for that kind of negative energy

"I like Bernie BUT *insert some stupid poo poo*" is some bad faith bullshit with a years long history at this point and it comes off as really dumb to hit VS for treating that behavior in a (frankly incredibly restrained) derogatory manner.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

"I like Bernie but I think he's going to lose" is a completely valid viewpoint with zero contradiction. I like a lot of poo poo that I think isn't going to happen.

Being cynical or skeptical or pessimistic isn't the same thing as concern-trolling, and it's dumb to treat it as such.

I don't really have an issue with what that dude was saying, my point is more that "I like Bernie, BUT" style posting is something with a history of bad faith attached to it and I don't think it's particularly incumbent on anyone to accept that THIS TIME that's not true.

The second part of this is that was an exceptionally mild response anyway, and downright saint-like coming from VS.

While this is on my mind, framing jokes lightly poking at a dude's last name for literally being "Butt" as homophobic is really dumb and dishonest and those probes should probably stop imho.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 4, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Biden was sundowning the entire time so

Polling data still consistent with my 2016 prediction of Trump winning 2020.

Nostradumbass McHellworld has logged the f*k in :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

And what the hell is this

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Well yeah, sticking to something requires the kind of conviction she's not interested in.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I just wanted to make my conviction joke <:mad:>

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You can't campaign on something that doesn't even reach a remotely notable level until a loving decade later.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Oh boy $300 less in rent in 10 years, hope I haven't lost my job, lost my insurance, lost my home, and slit my loving wrists in a poo poo-covered alley because every moment has become agony by then."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol that people are taking a weird paraphrasing as gospel

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Except they overwhelmingly voted for Clinton.

It's 2019. How did this talking point come back up?

ya got Calibanibal'd

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Judakel posted:

What I make of it is that every "Voting for Bernie but throwing Warren a little money for *half-measure plan*" is to blame.

It was also a quarter defined by Warren receiving an infinite amount of uncritical puff pieces as folks looked for a viable Non-Biden/Bernie.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DARPA posted:

The fact he said white people feeling uncomfortable voting for black candidates isn't racist.

That's not what he did.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

what are you talking about specifically?

Probably that dumb interviewer that Bernie owned hard for supporting US imperialism.

E: who is also a former BlackRock employee and married to the son of a bain capital exec, can't forget that.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 10, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

No even better, Mitch McConnell.

Definitely a potential coalition member, there.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1149553144793202688

if only there was some common thread among these random shitlib bernie detractors in the media

e: here's the article I guess https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1149490172930564098

Loved clicking that thread and finding out the person Bernie didn't meet with was a raging anti-semite lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bernie Derangement Syndrome is real and a hell of a thing.