Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Part 3 – Carthage, Total War
302 BC

The battered main Numidian army withdraws, and we retake our lands.

We gain progress from the reconquest, and I order our army to attack the Numidian capital.

The Iberii overwhelm the local militia.

I have the palisades up, and the first troops are formed up.

I split the fleet to try and help both sieges.

301 BC

Our men cannot hold off Mauritania.

The assault into Numidia is a stalemate at first.

But the fighting goes against us, and we are forced to withdraw.

Thankfully the men in Iberia are able to hold their ground.

Our economy is crashing! I rebalance to wards money, but I need to clear some of these mercenaries. The shortage of metal is not helping.

There is nothing for it, I order assaults on the walls of the Syrcusian cities.

300 BC

The assaults go poorly, the only good thing is this fixes a lot of my manpower, metal and cost issues.

The Mercenaries hired here allow us to maintain control of the province.

I agree to cooperate with the Etrusci. I need all the friends I can get!

299 BC

Taxilies is driven back with heavy losses by the Sryacusians.

But finally the news is less grim – Numidia has been shattered by Massaelysia. They have a fallen upon their neighbours and given us a chance to survive with Carthage unplundered!

News of a new copper mine under construction in Sardinia would go a long way to improving my metal shortages!

298 BC

Ampsaga changes hands once more.

I order another assault on the Numidian capital – this time with mercenary horsemen as backup!

I've combined the remaining forces in Sicily.

297 BC

Alexon defeats the Numdian army and beseiges their captial.

I can now announce we are the third most important country in the world!

Numidia fights back – thankfully not against us!

Things continue to look grim, but we are holding our own. We just need to knock out one of these enemies, and the others will begin to fall.
But can I do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
My professional assessment, having never played the game, is that we may have some problems.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!
Well that sucked. Great job in salvaging the situation, Grey.

As you said, what we really need is at least one less front to deal with. Syracuse seems strong, the Iberii will probably not give up...I think Numidia might be the weakest of our foes at the moment, if only because they are stuck between an hammer and an anvil.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I thought the Iberians wanted to co-operate with us last turn?

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

A new power is rising! Its victory is at hand! This night, the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan!

simplefish posted:

I thought the Iberians wanted to co-operate with us last turn?

Those asshats changed their mind like 30 minutes later.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I actually refunded Fields of Glory 2 because I just didn't find fighting a meaningless skirmish in a lengthy turn based battle very interesting but this is entirely my jam. I love me some judicous map painting and the wrinkle of the whole decadence, civ score business sounds like icing on the cake. I am buying the hell out of this next week.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 4 – Target Numidia.

296 BC

This time Mauritania do not mess around.

God drat it Sardinia! I needed that iron mine!

We gain an ageing token as people see our civilization begin to crumble.

295 BC

A mass of mercenary horsemen sweep into Numidia.

Everyone has heard of Carthage – but our legacy is still not one that will last the test of time.

I complete a blacksmith, and immediately go for the forge – I need more metals to trade, but its a start.

I have amassed a small Mercenary army in Iberia, and will attempt to take that objective region.

294 BC

We take the region at cost, and gain a progress token.

Which is good, as our high decadence drags us right down.

We finally make a breach! I order the assault. This should be easy now!

293 BC

We take the city. Our troops march south to invest the last Syricusian city on Sicily.

I abandon the seige of the Numidian capital to take another of their provinces and destroy their main army – I shall now march men back to take their capital.

We are now the most famous nation in the world, but we are regressing.

After these wars, we will need to consolidate!

294 BC

While the battle is a draw, we do kill their general.

A later battle see us rout the enemy and invest their city.

In Iberia we take another region.

Then the Iberian army arrives, and crushes our forces.

Numidia hold off our army, but they take losses.

They are down to one province, and Syracuse is also on the ropes. I order up some good foot infantry in Carthage and send in the army once more – they are mostly mercenaries, and easily replaceable. I leave the elephants behind however.

294 BC

The Mercenary cavalry die in droves, but they weaken the enemy.

Well. gently caress.

Carthage. Beset by enemies.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

drat these barbarians from all over the world! We finally punch Syracuse in the teeth, only for the biggest Numidian tribe to take their place! Can't these yokels see that Carthage is destined to bring peace and greatness for the world?! we are killing you for your own good, idiots!

At least it's not TECHNICALLY a new front...

DarkParchment fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 6, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Jeez, this is a game about smelling blood in the water it seems.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do these foolish barbarians not want the Glories of Mercantilism thrust upon them?!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The pointless conquests start to cause issues for the people of Judea.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
IF you conquer most of an area of another country in turn can you give back areas as part of peace if you want if they're not worth the decadence/don't have the insrastrucure to make it worthwhile? Or 'sell' provinces to other empires?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Part 5 – Sweeping Advances

290 BC

Lead by elephants, my mercenary cavalry sweep through the undefended south of our enemy.

The Iberri arrive and begin to siege one our city.

I order my men to continue the advances.

289 BC

We lose Malaka on the Iberian peninsula.

The rapid moving force takes more lands.

Massaelysia is forming an army, but I want to try and knock Numidia out of the war first!

288 BC

The larger Numidian army wraps around our flanks and overwhelms us.

The light force takes more land.

What!

The Sardes land a force and crush our army completely! A second round of fighting leaves only one depleted cohort retreating to the capital.

I deplete my treasury and manpower to raise another army.

287 BC

The Syracusians sally forth and bloody our army.

Men from the toe of Italy join them and retake a city in a single year!

The Sardianians and the Numidians carve a path towards Carthage, looting and burning as they go.

The light force is caught and all but destroyed in a disaster of a year.

286 BC

I sue for peace with the Numidians – they accept, and there is one less threat for now. We will deal with them later, once the other threats have been vanquished!

We rout the Sardianian army at the gates of Carthage! After I clicked the button I released this would have been a good battle to export to Field of Glory II!

Syracuse give us another drubbing, and I offer them a peace treaty as well.

285 BC

With their army crushed, we counter attack against the Sardinians.

Mauritania is the next to feel the wrath of the light horse.

Syracuse also accepts peace! We are reducing the number of fronts quickly!

Mauritania seems less than impressed though.

Carthage is battered, but intact – we can survive, we can grow.

We can ignore looming threats for now.....

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That uhh
That don't look so great

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you overlooked this important detail when deciding not to build this thing a couple times

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think you overlooked this important detail when deciding not to build this thing a couple times

Yeah, I did.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I love FoG II but I gotta say this game seems rough around the edges. Can we get a general review?

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

Well that was a painful update for us. Great job on keeping us alive though, Grey. drat it, I thought we were so close to beating Syracuse too.

And Rome looks terrifying.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

284 BC

Our light force takes more land.

Before being caught by a larger army and destroyed completely.

Numidia expands once more, blocking our land route. They will get theirs at a more opportune time.

283 BC

Massaelysia expands westwards into my undefended provinces. My own troops are on ships and will arrive next year.

282 BC

Mauritania expands into our lands as well.

Our men land and retake our lands.

But they are more weakened than I expected, and the army is repulsed and near destroyed in a second move I ordered.
Lesson Learned.

281 BC

Mauritania continues their offensive!

I clear out that last independent province – it was slowing down my troop movements!

280 BC

Mauritania begins a march directly towards Carthage.

As they do so, they slam into my army that was forming up. Destroying them peacemeal.

I race to reform an army.

We hold off the Massaelysian army.

279 BC

We lose more land.

At least a smaller Carthage is easier to defend.

Oh come on!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You have the patience of an angel, i would have said "gently caress this" some two updates ago

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I like the game, it has some interesting ideas and challenges.

But gently caress me does the AI love to go to war. Both this and the video lp have constant multi front wars. Its chaos!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Oh no, not Garamantes! :ohdear:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just to clarify, we're playing the traders, right? The people who are good at making other people give us stuff in exchange for money? Because I'm seeing none of that and a lot of teeth being punched in.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tbf, getting your teeth kicked in is pretty normal when your go-to method of conflict is "I DIDN'T CONSENT TO JOINDER!" and "THE FREE MARKET DOESN'T WORK IF YOU'RE VIOLENT!"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Thread title looking increasingly portentious of the final outcome.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Randalor posted:

Just to clarify, we're playing the traders, right? The people who are good at making other people give us stuff in exchange for money? Because I'm seeing none of that and a lot of teeth being punched in.

We wanted to secure ourselves so we can start getting all the money. It hasn't worked out that way. All the money's been going on STUFF rather than on bribes and things.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't wait until grey finally solves his military issues and then has no money to pay for his mercenaries, triggering a huge mercenary revolt.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The difference in troop quality shows as the battle rages.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Ahem, just a heads up, Field of Glory Empires.... is on sale on steam.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's quite reasonably priced too, £31. Probably even cheaper relatively in those countries whose currency isn't tanking as part of it's slow national suicide.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 11, 2019

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still don't get what this game is. From the screenshots presented combat seems really bizarre and there doesn't seem to be any diplomacy outside of "promise not to attack me?" which is quickly voided?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

It's quite reasonably priced too, £31. Probably even cheaper relatively in those countries whose currency isn't tanking as part of it's slow national suicide.

US$39.99, or a bundle with Field of Glory II for US$52.48

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Leperflesh posted:

US$39.99, or a bundle with Field of Glory II for US$52.48

If you already have FOG2 it's $29.99

I'm gonna also come out with a hot take and say this game is designed around the in-game combat res and FOG2 generally rewards different(and less interesting) compositions than empires mostly because terrain doesn't matter anywhere near as much for FoG2 generated battles.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

278 BC

The Garamantes attack, taking a province from us, as my army marches south.

277 BC

Massaelysia takes another region.

We stop the Garamite expansions.

Then our fortunes change – peace! We have lost land, but this reduces the number of foes we have to face by half!

An offensive into Massaelysia is ordered! We will destroy them!

How could I not build this fine building to a fine and good god?

276 BC

We lose some elephants, but smash the Massaelysian army.

We also see off an invasion by the desert tribes to the south.

I send our forces south. I want to deal with the threat we border, before trying any overseas adventures.

275 BC

The Garamites somehow cross some occupied regions to take this one.

During the turmoil, the Barcids manage to get control of Carthage.

While not liked by anyone, he is good at his job.

274 BC

We meet the Garamites in the field of battle.

It goes poorly.

We do reconquer the lost province however.

273 BC

We expand south.

I give orders to marshal a major army.

272 BC

The Garamite fools decide to attack my army, I decide this is the perfect place to show off the exported battle.

My men form in three ranks, with light cavalry on the flanks. Mass ranks of spears held to the sky.

The Garamites wait, trousers browning.

The skirmishers skirmish, while the main force of troops advances.

Our skirmishers come off worse after some good shooting by the Garamite troops, but the spear wall is advancing.

My massed horse begins to lap around the enemies flank and disrupt their troops.

The light horse is pulled back through my lines, and the pikemen go in – smashing into their targets.

On the flanks the enemy is not even able to put up a token resistance!

I run out of time, but things are looking good! 13% of their force is broken already!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How could I not build this fine building to a fine and good god?

"Chance to be dismantled each turn." Does it mean it merely downgrades back to Temple of Baal? Or is it removed entirely?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

if there was ever a time to sacrifice children to Moloch, it's now.

DarkParchment
Sep 23, 2016

Let these fools enjoy their little victories while they can. Great nations always lose some wars...but they end up writing history. We will make sure the Iberii and the Numidians will be utterly forgotten in a few centuries, as Carthage remodel the world to her glorious image.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DarkParchment posted:

Let these fools enjoy their little victories while they can. Great nations always lose some wars...but they end up writing history. We will make sure the Iberii and the Numidians will be utterly forgotten in a few centuries, as Carthage remodel the world to her glorious image.

I'm finally at a point where I think we might be able to survive for ten minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Judeans peoples front finally turns a corner and looks like it may survive - until the incoming civil war kicks off!