Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Moon Slayer posted:

Hail gay Satan Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
What's this? An update?

No, sorry. I know it's been a minute, but this was always supposed to be more experimental than an actual full-fledged LP, pretty much because the setting was cool.

That said, I've got some free time now and I've decided to finally go for a legislative LP, which I've thought about doing for a very long while. And with CK3 just announced, I figure there's no better time than now, so I'm in the midst of planning that. I've come up with a system I reckon will be very fun (and chaotic), but I'm not 100% set on which country just yet, so if anyone's got any ideas then throw them at me. Right now there's three main choices:

- Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1099, this is my leading choice right now, and you guys will effectively be feudal vassals
- Republic of Venice, not sure when
- Papal States, slightly more difficult to get set up, but could be interesting

Also, I'll be implementing a bunch of events and heresies and stuff to shake things up a bit, so if anyone's got ideas on that front then throw those at me too (or PM me, if you like).

hashashash fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 21, 2019

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
YES!

I'll vote for Kingdom of Jerusalem, but I'll be happy with the others as well.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Welcome back!

I'm voting for Republic of Venice, but the other ideas sound extremely promising. I will PM you some ideas in the near future.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What could go wrong in the Most Serene Republic of Venice?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
MERCHANTS!! :argh:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Volunteering to be the increasingly unreliable Dukes of Galilee, culture: Horse

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
In light of the below, I'll vote for the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 21, 2019

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Obliterati posted:

Volunteering to be the increasingly unreliable Dukes of Galilee, culture: Horse

If we go with Jerusalem then this is pretty much what'll happen. I'll go into more detail later, but participants will 'claim' a character from within the Kingdom (from dukes to barons to courtiers, each having differing levels of influence in the parliament), and you'll be stuck with that dynasty through its highs and lows, until they're either exterminated or you choose to drop them.

For Venice or Papacy, there would obviously be a different system in place.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jerusalem sounds cool, so let's go with that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Remind me. Early Venice is under the Byzantine thumb, isn't it? Trying to break out from that before the standard infighting around here could be interesting.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'd like to see the Jerusalem game, though Venice sounds fun too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pope game sounds intriguing :catholic:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Jerusalem sounds like a good time.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'll vote for the eventual Cathar Queen of Jerusalem

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Another vote for Jerusalem.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Jerusalem

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’m voting for Venice, but only if you implement the insane voting process the Serene Republic used for the Doge:

quote:

New regulations for the elections of the doge introduced in 1268 remained in force until the end of the republic in 1797. Their intention was to minimize the influence of individual great families, and this was effected by a complex electoral machinery. Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced by lot to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine, and the nine elected forty-five. These forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven finally chose the forty-one who elected the doge.[19] Election required at least twenty-five votes out of forty-one, nine votes out of eleven or twelve, or seven votes out of nine electors.[20] A detailed description of this process, and the ceremonial procession that followed, is preserved in Martin Da Canale's work Les Estoires de Venise

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sign me up to be a flamboyant schemer in some kingdom.

e: actual vote below.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 22, 2019

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I vote for Venice!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I don't know if I have the stomach for another legislative LP but I'll for sure read the OP's posts for Jerusalem.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Triskelli posted:

I’m voting for Venice, but only if you implement the insane voting process the Serene Republic used for the Doge:

It sounds like they were trying to prevent exactly the shenanigans that go on in regular Crusader Kings 2 Merchant Republics(either buying out the election or assassinating the competition). How to stop it? Give too many stages and too many people to deal with.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 21, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

On the grounds that the other two already had LPs, Venice

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bloodly posted:

It sounds like they were trying to prevent exactly the shenanigans that go on in regular Crusader Kings 2 Merchant Republics(either buying out the election or assassinating the competition). How to stop it? Give too many stages and too many people to deal with.

It sounds like a lot of steps though, so a compromise might be to decide policy by random lot: Everyone writes down their policy for the next update, then Hashim rolls a 1dX to see what wins.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Venice

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jerusalem

I think a country is fair game two generations later. It'll be fun to compare the two runs anyhow :v

Malah
May 18, 2015

Alright, let's showdown. Venice just to do see how the time skip affects gameplay. Sounds neat.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Venice

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd be very up for Venice if Hashim is willing to let us do the wild stupid amazeballs multi stage voting thing. Even knocking it down to a two phase "a random 1/2 of the thread participants pick a council of 7 from the remaining participants to pass laws for this update" it'd be wild. E.g. if we have 40 people contributing regularly, 20 are picked at random and select 7 of the remaining 20 to give Hashim the thread's input for the next phase.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I'll be happy to vote Jerusalem just to avoid the crazy shenanigans people want about Venice politics. It sounds like just the kind of thing we'd be able to stand for like one session before it grows really loving stale.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I’d be cool with either Jerusalem or the Papacy. The legislative component and goon incompetence seems like an effective way of minimizing blobbing for either choice.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Venice if Hashim thinks Kangxi's ideas are super cool, but I'm also fine with Jerusalem if not. So I guess count this as a half/half vote. (sorry pope)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yeah looks like the vote is leaning towards Jerusalem, so I'm gonna get started on setting that up.

If anyone's got any ideas for events or decisions though, throw those here or PM me, I'll use whatever I can get. So far I've given the Almoravids something to deal with early on, cos gently caress them, and I've also got a couple ideas about heresies.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

How wild and wacky are you aiming for?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Can we please have the opportunity to convert to Yazidism if we ever expand into those territories?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We’re going for a later start date, yeah? One of the historical kings of Jerusalem? Probably won’t be much opportunity for ai Jizrunid hijinks then

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Give us a way to usurp the papacy from Rome. Jerusalem is a way holier city.

(This is probably actually really hard but if you think it’s doable then it might be cool)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Akratic Method posted:

Give us a way to usurp the papacy from Rome. Jerusalem is a way holier city.

(This is probably actually really hard but if you think it’s doable then it might be cool)

Probably doable by embracing a heresy that establishes our own papacy later down the line, so you never know

QuoProQuid posted:

How wild and wacky are you aiming for?

Basically anything that has some semblance of sense, and I'll find ways to justify it

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

Can we please have the opportunity to convert to Yazidism if we ever expand into those territories?

One of those areas that depend entirely on the King at hand. It'll be entirely possible for a cynical king to convert to secret Yazidism, or any other religion in our domains, and try to start recruiting followers to his new faith. It'll probably lead to civil war, but sure.

It'll also be possible to submit legislation to try and convert the Kingdom's faith, assuming its possible in-game, so there's that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Okay, the thread's up here. I'm going to post the rules and start accepting characters tonight, and the plan is to post the intro chapter tomorrow or the day after.