Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

mediadave posted:

Has anyone actually read a Chuck Tingle book?

I read Pounded by the Pound.

It was what you'd expect for a 40+ page short story where the UK population literally turn into giant pound coins because the economy crashes so they need to stand in, and the police became gargoyles or something? Can't quite remember why though.

I mean it's no Urotsukidoji though!

e: Oh god, a terrible snipe. Page 3 was around when I was a child, but I preferred the Page 7 fella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeremy unt is about to give speech to Policy Exchange if your morning coffee was a bit too strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVpOrOnqlk

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I just bought Pounded By The Pound and read it from start to finish in about 400 seconds AMA

e:

Chuck Tingle posted:

"We're a fantastic country, with a rich heritage" announces the living pound, but being a part of the European Union doesn't take away from what makes us Brits. In fact, the EU just means that there are even more butts to go around!"
"Yeah!" replies the crowd, enthusiastically.
"German butts, French butts, Spanish butts!" Perber cries out. "There's no end to the variety when you open your heart's butt to your neighbours! So when it comes time to vote, let's keep our asses wide open!"
The entire pub explodes in a cheer of excitement as a warm smile slowly begins to creep out across my face.
(& yes, they do gently caress)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 1, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/kathiebennett/status/1145435691859546112?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Laradus posted:

e: Oh god, a terrible snipe. Page 3 was around when I was a child, but I preferred the Page 7 fella.
I thought it was the Page 8 mate?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jeremy Corbyn, has sexual relationships with consenting adults. This is the same as Boris Johnson not even being willing to admit how many kids he has.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hunt is saying he will immediately prepare for no-deal, and proposes a load of things that should have been done, including bringing in COBRA and cancelling recess. But he's also planning on having the Brexit negotiation team have the DUP and the ERG on it.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it was the Page 8 mate?

Definitely 7, and apparently it started in the 80s :corsair:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeremy Hunt said we bailed out the banks after the financial crisis, so why couldn't we do it for farmers and fisherman as well.

...lol at saying "we'll cause the financial crisis ourselves this time"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kuenssberg making GBS threads on Hunt here for Tory 'fiscal responsibility' given his money throwing promises

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Laradus posted:

Definitely 7, and apparently it started in the 80s :corsair:
Where's the Page 8 mate from then? I definitely remember that being a thing in the 90s and I definitely remember it being a shirtless bloke with a generic "Brad, 28, is a fireman from Leeds who likes going to the gym and watching the sun set" bubble. Maybe it was the Mirror equivalent. Maybe I'm Mandela Effecting myself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hunt is charismatic enough here. Certainly less of a walking farce than Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Where's the Page 8 mate from then? I definitely remember that being a thing in the 90s and I definitely remember it being a shirtless bloke with a generic "Brad, 28, is a fireman from Leeds who likes going to the gym and watching the sun set" bubble. Maybe it was the Mirror equivalent. Maybe I'm Mandela Effecting myself.

No idea, 7 was definitely that type of blurb though, and don't remember any other paper doing similar (maybe the Sunday Sport?). Maybe they merged them at some point, but can't see anything online.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

Jeremy Hunt said we bailed out the banks after the financial crisis, so why couldn't we do it for farmers and fisherman as well.

And also, implicitly, "but gently caress the NHS/schools/the welfare state"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Laradus posted:

No idea, 7 was definitely that type of blurb though, and don't remember any other paper doing similar (maybe the Sunday Sport?). Maybe they merged them at some point, but can't see anything online.
Well, at least I'm not the only one from the mirror universe.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tesseraction posted:

So basically he's calling for another decade of austerity. loving great.

Off topic: there's been a bunch of job chat here lately so I figure I'll ask:-

I've been advised to go and have an informal chat with my boss's boss this afternoon regarding a vacancy for basically the exact same job that I've been doing for the past few years. They & I know that I can do it bloody well, but there's also the small issue that I may have been a bit, uh, difficult with her during an industrial dispute last year (but she is also union & a Labour member, I used to live in her constituency). What kinds of things are people expected to ask about during these kinds of informal chat? & what's the point - what should I be trying to do here? Never done it before, nor have I ever applied for a job with my own employer

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I've been advised to go and have an informal chat with my boss's boss this afternoon regarding a vacancy for basically the exact same job that I've been doing for the past few years. They & I know that I can do it bloody well, but there's also the small issue that I may have been a bit, uh, difficult with her during an industrial dispute last year (but she is also union & a Labour member, I used to live in her constituency). What kinds of things are people expected to ask about during these kinds of informal chat? & what's the point - what should I be trying to do here? Never done it before, nor have I ever applied for a job with my own employer

I'm afraid I don't have any advice but I will wish you good luck!

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Tsietisin posted:

Sort of.

I found out that all of his books are on audible. They are only about 20 minutes long. What you can do is listen to the sample which is about 5 minutes long to get an idea about the book.

It seemed to be more of a discussion about his thoughts on current affairs as opposed to any gay sex.

It cut out before the was any filth, from what I heard I expected it simply ended with "and then they all hosed"

It tends to be a fair bit more detailed than that but despite the graphicness it really isn't gsy erotica in terms of... Written erotically.

He has a podcast called pounded in the butt by my own podcast where minor celebrities read his various tinglers which is p good for people losing their poo poo over the smut or the world buikding.

He also does stuff that is non tingler related like his guide to the void which covers his weird alternate universe with void crabs, reverse trims and devilmen that exists largely in his social. Media posts with some cross over to the novels

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Sorry to double post but for instance in pounded in the butt by my own realisation that I'm a character in a chuck tingle novel it's written as psedeo horror where the main character becomes self aware and tries to delay the sex scene as long as possible as he's aware once everyone gets off the story ends and he'll cease to exists

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Chuck Tingle being a two time Hugo nominee is one of the few bright spots of the last few years.

Borrovan posted:

So basically he's calling for another decade of austerity. loving great.

Could be anything really. Best wishes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Libearian posted:

Sorry to double post but for instance in pounded in the butt by my own realisation that I'm a character in a chuck tingle novel it's written as psedeo horror where the main character becomes self aware and tries to delay the sex scene as long as possible as he's aware once everyone gets off the story ends and he'll cease to exists

That loving owns.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Hunt is charismatic enough here. Certainly less of a walking farce than Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Surely this is all kabuki, though?

I thought the tiny cabal of tory party ghouls have picked Bojo, judging by his massive lead

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I hope Hunt wins and not Boris the Shagger because if only because it will be an absolute loving nightmare for anyone on TV or radio not to say Jeremy oval office when they're talking about Jeremy Corbyn and Jeremy Hunt :laugh:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We need an opinion poll on pissflaps having a 1 day posting privelege per month preferrably on a day his unemployment checks come in so he will be in good spirits drinking the cheapest brit wine he can find.

Please don't smear the unemployed like this.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 1, 2019

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

"I shared a cab with him when he (Boris) was campaigning to be mayor of London and suddenly found myself fantasising about cosying up to him on the back seat. :barf:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then the right stuff shot out of every orifice and he had to pay £50 for the cleaning, but fortunately he keeps a wad of 50s around his tuna can dick.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Popped up in my twitter suggestions:

:smug:

Barry Foster posted:

I thought the tiny cabal of tory party ghouls have picked Bojo, judging by his massive lead

They have to go through the pretence on the very slim chance that he'll actually get in. Given the polling, and the fact it's the tory membership, it's unlikey, but stranger things have happened, and it'll still be just as loving terrible whichever is in charge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Oh yeah Hunt has no hope, that's why he's been saying increasingly insane and hard-Brexity things this week in the run up to the postal ballots arriving at the tory members' houses, in a desperate attempt to win against the odds.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Startling scenes when it turns out that MEPs have to travel to the European continent.

https://twitter.com/drdavidbull/status/1145597763998142465?s=19

What a loving knob

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I absolutely detest hunt but seeing boris face realising he would never get a chance to be pm again would be something I could get behind.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TBF the whole 'decamp to Strasbourg once a month' thing is both real and loving daft. It's one of the few genuine problems with the EU that has been brought up in good faith.

Not that it was brought up DURING the referendum campaign but

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pesky Splinter posted:

They have to go through the pretence on the very slim chance that he'll actually get in. Given the polling, and the fact it's the tory membership, it's unlikey, but stranger things have happened, and it'll still be just as loving terrible whichever is in charge.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh yeah Hunt has no hope, that's why he's been saying increasingly insane and hard-Brexity things this week in the run up to the postal ballots arriving at the tory members' houses, in a desperate attempt to win against the odds.

Yeah, thought so.

I guess I'm more just cross that the BBC is expending so much airtime on a process a statistically insignificant portion of the population can have any influence over whatsoever. The media does enjoy a horserace, I suppose

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Startling scenes when it turns out that MEPs have to travel to the European continent.

https://twitter.com/drdavidbull/status/1145597763998142465?s=19

What a loving knob

Yeah they should definitely have put the EU parliament in Milton Keynes, that would have pleased everyone surely.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Borrovan posted:

I'm no expert (been out of the office game for a good few years thank christ) but I think the subtext is you're a shoe in for the job but this lady is may have made a grumble in passing at your name, so be polite and chat about stuff (how great the work is etc.) and show that you can work with her/no hard feelings, etc. Or she will rub it in your face that your not getting it, you shouldn't cross her, and next time it'll be an unmarked crate to Siberia. Could be either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I absolutely detest hunt but seeing boris face realising he would never get a chance to be pm again would be something I could get behind.

I'm just reminded of that post in c-spam about how Ted Cruz sold his soul and gave up every friendship to be the most detestable person in the world all for the sole purpose of being president and as he burned all of the last bridges to be within grabbing distance of the ring a tiny orange hand batted his out the way and grabbed it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I've found out what happened.

Page 7 Fella was late 80s, then stopped being run after a couple years. Page 8 Mate was the hip new 90s replacement that stopped being run after a couple years.

:ms:

I wonder if they'll try to bring it back again on another page.

^^ I think a whole crate of monkey paws curled up at the "Anyone but Ted" posts in D&D.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF the whole 'decamp to Strasbourg once a month' thing is both real and loving daft. It's one of the few genuine problems with the EU that has been brought up in good faith.

Not that it was brought up DURING the referendum campaign but

Why is it daft?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Because it costs a goddamn fortune, wastes a shitload of time and fuel, and is completely unnecessary in an age where international communication is as simple as turning on loving skype.

It's broadly the same reason why the UK Parliament persisting in operating out of Westminster is also stupid.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

crispix posted:

I hope Hunt wins and not Boris the Shagger because if only because it will be an absolute loving nightmare for anyone on TV or radio not to say Jeremy oval office when they're talking about Jeremy Corbyn and Jeremy Hunt :laugh:
We need to kickstart that poo poo by making Jeremy Horbyn a thing.

I actually don't even know who I want to win: Boris is straight-up fash (if only out of disingenuous self-interest), and would spell Very loving Bad News for minorities, but oval office is no less evil and actually very competent at his stealthy dismantling and selling off of public services, which is bad news for everyone but also disproportionately effects minorities, whereas Boris is useless enough that he's more likely to gently caress it all up and get the boot.

e: thanks Ozy. Gameplan will be to be seriously loving pleasant and chit-chat about how great my workplace is. Also thanks all for the good wishes :)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 1, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

Yeah they should definitely have put the EU parliament in Milton Keynes, that would have pleased everyone surely.

Dear lord no the traffic is already bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

thespaceinvader posted:

Because it costs a goddamn fortune, wastes a shitload of time and fuel, and is completely unnecessary in an age where international communication is as simple as turning on loving skype.

It's broadly the same reason why the UK Parliament persisting in operating out of Westminster is also stupid.

It doesn’t cost a fortune and travelling the distance by train is not fuel intensive, the benefits of working together outweigh any technological solution?