Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

poo poo Tremek! Thats awful!

And a good reminder for me to sort out getting that empty fire extinguisher in the workshop refilled!

At least as a silver lining you might be able to rebuild it big and tall enough to slip a lift in there and park all the vehicles inside when the golfballs fall from the sky again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ilkhan posted:

Ammo that isn't in a barrel just makes a little pop. Bullets for because there isn't anywhere else for the gas to go but to push the bullet. If it cooks off without that support around it the brass expands and the bullet doesn't go anywhere.

Thats not what the box of .22LR rounds my fuckwit ex friend threw into a camp fire did. We heard things ricocheting off EVERYTHING as we hid our arses behind the biggest tree we could find while trying to push the dickhead out into the open to catch his own prize.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I’ve got a 6M air gap between my workshop full of flammable things and my house!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tremek posted:

Thanks. I sort of flippantly said to my wife yesterday, “maybe [re: our friends’ response] this means people don’t think we’re total assholes!”

I feel pretty pathetic right now though. Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t a good look.

I cant think of a single thing you've done in recent times that would categories you as "Arsehole". You and your family have been amazingly good people.

As Mr Pimp said, you've gone through trauma and thats gonna cause a reaction. Crying in the middle of the night is nothing to be ashamed of. I spent 5 years driving a 15km detour around a particular piece of road that I assisted in trying to save a mans life after a truck accident. He didnt make it, Im still carrying an injury from that attempt and that stuck with me. Its nothing to be ashamed of, it doesnt make you 'less of a man', it just makes you human.

Take care of your family AND yourself. If you need to vent to people, We're all here for you if you need us, even us random people from the other side of the globe.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

rdb posted:

Yeah, the E series is kinda crap and I don’t like the loader system but the parts availability is second to none and the dealer service is great. Case/New holland, kubota and deere are on my list. At this point I want a cab, big loader, buddy seat, 2-3 remotes and enough power to pull the SWCD rental seeder, litter spreaders, the co-op lime spreader, a 15-20 ft batwing, disk and maybe some hay baling equipment. Its really hard to find hay this year because of the flooding. Also the guy we were buying it from died last fall.

My entire property is sloped and when I have to unload double stacked round bales off a trailer the mahindra almost always gets tippy.

Really jealous of that grapple. I have 4 large brush piles, 2 of them too close to the barn to burn. Its a lot of red cedar so they wont rot away for decades either.

I got ruined by the tractors at work in the old gig. I had two at my disposal- a Kubota L4600 front end loader/back hoe. Bloody powerful machine for its size- It will lift 700kg (its not rated for it but it will do it!) and then the big one thats spoilt me for life. New Holland T6010 Delta with a big Quike front end loader with a 4 in 1 bucket.

105hp, Proper hydraulics, proper sized machine, great cab (used to spend 8-10hrs a day, 5 days a week in it when I was slashing) and the front end loader is good for 1.8T lift.

Now im stuck with a 1950's Massey ferguson and a 1970's massey FEL at home and a shittly little L3600 at work thats just a tad too small. I miss my big tractor.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Somehow I was able to get my 1987 Mazda 323 Wagon with a B6T swap through the California Referee program, so now its street legal. Only close to double the power from stock, and I have just about the entire 1988 HKS performance catalog in parts to throw at it. Now its off to show at the Concours d'Lemons in Monterey next month.

And I turn 36 tomorrow. :sigh:

I read that as a 6BT and was VERY confused doing the mental gymnastics on just how you would FIT that into a 323 chassis!

Just clocked up 20,000km after my engine rebuild and it hasnt blown up yet! I must be doing SOMETHING right!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

I saw "yellow" and immediately thought Tonka they're awesome :haw:

Like that?

Residency Evil posted:

So this: https://jalopnik.com/at-2-900-is-this-2004-land-rover-discovery-an-amazing-1836578260

Has got me thinking. Are these really that bad? Should I just get a Land Cruiser/GX/LX if I want a mid 2000s SUV that says notspeed and class?

Yes. Yes they are. That a vehicle with designers that instead of retooling the engine to metric, created loving bolts that are METRIC on the heads, and IMPERIAL on the threads.

Just buy the toyota and run it into the ground. There are guys over here in Aus (Where poo poo doesnt rust) with 6-700k km old (375K-430K mi) old 100 series that are still going strong. There was a guy not long ago with a 4.7L tundra who put a million miles on the engine and it was better than the ones that left the factory!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Tremek posted:

Replacing stuff chat:

I need to replace my nice Viair portable 12v air compressor that met its untimely end in the garage fire. It put up with a lot of abuse and always was a trooper, but it was a bit slow. I think mine was the 300P model.

I really don't need 100% duty cycle for my use (car tires, bike tires, and refilling the 33-35" tires of my ~*~offroad vehicles~*~ when coming back off a trail) - per Viair's site I suspect it was capable of less than 2 CFM however. I also had a twin ARB under-hood unit in the garage that's also gone now, and while that will be good for airing up on the Land Cruiser once I also replace that, I really enjoyed the versatility of being able to drop the 300P onto any 12v battery and fill up.

Is there another brand/model you guys also think I should be looking at? Call it a up-to $500 budget for a kickass portable.

Edit: the 440P looks like their highest-volume portable at 3.0 CFM at 0 PSI...

I’ve got the ARB CMK12 single motor high output under the bonnet of the 100 for running the air lockers and airing up tyres. It’s more than capable of filling 33” tyres from 12 psi to 35 psi in under 20 mins for all 4 and doesn’t take up the space (or current) of the big twin motor.

ARB do make the twin motor in a box too- with a 4L air tank in there too!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sometimes I love Toyota, sometimes I loving hate them.

Hilux, Prado, 4 runners... when they changed engines or diff ratios, they just changed the drive wheel on the speed sensor. In the 100 series, they changed the god drat drive gear INSIDE the transfer case too...

So the automatic transfer case I’m rebuilding to drop into my manual 100 series suits 3.9:1 diffs. I have 4.3:1 diffs. So now I’ve ether gotta buy a new internal drive gear before I can rebuild my transfer, or I have to pull the transfer case out of my truck, pull it apart, extract the drive gear and THEN put the new transfer together and install it...

It’s not like it’s a really awkwardly shaped 50kg lump of metal that you’ve gotta install over your head or anything...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I still have to replace the transfer cos it’s pissing oil out of every seal, but I’ll just order the part from Toyota and be done with it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gently caress, 35 years on on this planet today. I decided to take two weeks annual leave for my birthday this year because I’m not 100% sure I don’t hate my new job or not yet..

Went out with friends for dinner tonight. I’ve realised that I don’t have the biggest friends group in the world but the ones that I do do have are the greatest bunch of misfits and idiots a guy could ask for.

I’ve spent the whole day playing Minecraft and day drinking talisker single malt scotch, went to a German pub with said friends for dinner and drank 3 steins of Dortmunder and now I’m sitting in front of a wood fire listening to Peking Duk and sipping on a glass of Johnny Walker green label. poo poo could be worse, if really could.

Happy loving birthday to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive just spent the whole day helping my dad completely re-do the plumbing for water distribution on their farm. Im now expecting a glue fitting in the middle of the manifold to leak like a loving sieve.