Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Gettin' real excited for some grillin' action for Independence Day this week. I'm practically drooling on my keyboard while I search through recipes I wanna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

To be honest that sounds like something that would greatly amuse me after several drinks around a fire :shrug:

Okay, maybe a handful, not a box

Also also, I wouldn't throw live rounds into a fire pit, but if someone else did I'd take cover and giggle

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Edit: My wife and my sister and her fiance want to buy a boat. Blech. I want cars.

Every time someone mentions the idea of buying a boat, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "gently caress boats." and they get all pissy, and then I tell the story of how like the last 3 or 4 times I've been on a boat in my adult life, they've died and stranded us in the middle of a lake.

Anyway, dad brought home a beater SV650 from a friend of a friend that didn't want it anymore and told me I can pretty much do whatever I want with it. It just so happens that we race SV650's (well, not so much anymore, but whatever) so I went over and picked through the garage for spare parts and got it running. Whoever had it last treated it pretty poorly though, apparently they wanted to turn it into a stunter, so the front/dash/light harness is all snipped up so that will need re-doing. Just happy I got it to fire off though to start with.

Then I went home and bottled my Hefeweizen and used 4th of July leftover corn and taters and pulled a "cajun" sheet pan bake out of my rear end.

Also Spider-Man: Far From Home is good as hell.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, that got an obnoxious laugh out of me at the end, but apparently no one else in the theater seemed to notice :shrug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I've kept my son in Moto Gs and they've held up really well to constant, hard, teenage use.

I ditched my Nexus 6P that was all but dead for a Moto G7 a few months ago, because Google Fi had the G7 for like $200 or something. The only issue is all of your iPhone haver friends making fun of your pictures because the camera is about as good as my old Galaxy S3. Other than that, it's super solid and I'm happy with it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Finaaaally finished Stranger Things 3. Please everyone watch it so we can discuss it openly.

We were going to started re-watching the first season in preparation for this and just didn't have time, and I pretty much said gently caress it. Then we started the new season and within like a minute, neither of us could remember pretty much anything about season 2, so we stopped and went back to watching season 1 :v:

STR posted:

I would do naughty things that stepped far outside of my comfort zone for a legal diesel passenger vehicle in the US from someone other than VW.

I don't want to refill blinker fluid.. or deal with VW electrical. And my budget rules out BMW or Mercedes. The only other diesel options I know of CURRENTLY sold in the US are trucks, though a random number of Jeeps and Chevy Cruzes could be had with diesels for a year or two. The diesel Cruze could only be had fully loaded (LTZ trim basically); I don't like leather, I don't like automatic. :argh:

I also got a '15 Golf TDI Sportwagen with a 6-speed a few months ago and I honestly couldn't be happier with it. (Well, if it was one of the 4-motion AWD ones I saw I would, but there were like two pre-owned ones in my price range for sale and they were on the other side of the country.) If you would have told me six months ago I'd be driving a Golf I probably would have laughed at you.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sounds like he was answering the "What time to you get in." question, not "What time will you call me." Sales staff aren't smart people, I've worked with them for almost 10 years now.

I feel you on the moving on price though. When I picked up my car, they absolutely would not budge on price because they were having a sale and their internet price where I saw it was a couple grand off of the sticker on the car. I DID get them to take care of a dent and a couple of scratches and throw in a tonneau cover though, so.

Also, I found out that if you mention you work at the dealership down the road, the finance guy will just breeze you through without trying to sell you on poo poo :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But you're not in that line of work and neither is anyone like you. Certain types of people get into sales and it's laughable to think that any of them have any kind of self awareness.

Some idiots at the Hyundai dealership near us lost a sale on a genesis for the same reasons and we got a Lexus instead.

For some personal perspective/experience from my store, including the mass hiring of sales people that we just had, of the half of them that are actually good at what they do and make a ton of money and sales, probably 40% are aggressive two-sided snakes, and 10% of them are actually good, solid people that have just found something they're good at and stay with it because they can make a lot of money. The other half of our sales staff are just a bunch of washouts that don't know how to do anything else and get tossed enough leads by the sales managers to stay afloat.

Edit: 30 days ago we hired 12 additional sales personnel, one didn't show up, another didn't show up for the 1st and 3rd day so we canned that one, an additional two were let go in the first week, and two more quit. One more keeps failing his mandated test to be licensed to sell automotive vehicles in the state, so I expect he will be let go soon as well. Those are the majority of people you can expect to get in the door for a sales job.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 9, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I wish people would quit frequently asking how I got a black eye. I just have bags under my eyes man, leave me alone :(

E:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the desire for huge TVs. We have a little 40" at home that is still quite nice and works fine, but it seems like it's impossible to get something that size anymore. We are staying in another city for the summer in a furnished apartment and the TV here is fuckin huge. I don't think it's meaningfully improved the quality of my tv watching.

Some of it may be that I grew up without a TV so my standards are low. Also commercials: super weird

I had/still have a little 38" Samsung or something for most of my adult life so far, and recently got a 50" TCL like a year or two ago. While it's not a huge gently caress off TV, I love the extra screen real estate :shrug:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 10, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, if you're gonna sit there and scream poo poo like that and get in people's faces, then I don't know what to tell you other than you deserve it when someone has had enough and pushes your poo poo in :shrug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I'm going on our annual "get blasted and float down a river for four hours, then sleep in a tent" trip tomorrow and there is just no productivity left in me.

E: One time at a show we were pushing our way through the crowd and some (much bigger) guy got pissed about it, so my friend turned around and said "SUCK MY BUTT." By the time I turned around, my friend was already knocked out and being dragged out of the crowd by some bystanders. He likes to heckle people, so I thought it was highly amusing.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 11, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Mine's like a booze cruise, but with engine-less boats! So no breaking down and being stranded!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Powershift posted:

The cops here police the popular drop-off and pick-up points for river tubing, and confiscate liquor. They also hand out tickets for drinking in public to people floating down the river drinking.

It makes sense though because there's no better use of their time than being the fun police.

They also just launched their crime map to show where crimes occurred in the last 14 days so you know to be careful there and....

That's extremely annoying. This is a campground, you buy a ticket for a tube and everyone pitches in to buy a ticket for a separate cooler tube. Everyone waits in line at the campground beach bar with their coolers full of booze to get on full-size school buses, run by the campground, that haul you up to the 2-hour float drop-off, or the 4-hour float drop-off, give you a spiel of rules, don't get out of the river at any time, etc, and then boot you out onto the river. The route terminates at, you guessed it, the campsite beach bar, so you haul your poo poo out of the water, drop off your tubes, and walk your drunk rear end back to your campsite to drink some more. There's a couple of sheriffs that hang around the campground and won't do anything if you're not being a dick. It's a small rear end town, so it probably brings in a lot of revenue.

I did see a bitchin' police chase two years ago, some drunk dude took off from the bar in the middle of the night on his motorcycle, left his bawling girlfriend in the bar, and the cop hanging out in the parking lot was pretty much like welp. He didn't made it to the next campground, which had gravel roads. He didn't make it far.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

My booze cruise was mostly fun but hell truly can be other people. Someone brought their lifelong single sister with and she was hammered when she got on the boat. She then spent the bulk of the 4 hours screaming that she was "LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

We found a nice place to hide on the lower bow of the ship but we could still hear her occasionally.

Ain't that the truth. One thing I've noticed over the last few years, is there's always A Thing that happens when we're just trying to get away for a weekend and relax. Our last night at the campground on our trip this past weekend, all of my friends walked down to the campsite bar, and I hung back with the lady to chill out instead. Won't go into it too much, because police were involved, but turns out, some local redneck groped one of our friends, and then shoved another to the ground when he was confronted about it.

But then he got decked in the face and hauled off in handcuffs, so.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Startin' to get real irritated with potential employers now. Back in February I had an interview and the company would go radio silence for two weeks, I would assume it was dead, then they'd reach out and say they're still trying to make a decision, and then do it all over again for like two months.

Last week, someone reached out to me after seeing my resume and asked me if I was interested in a position and set up a phone interview last Wednesday. She asked when I would be available for an in-person interview and I told her I'm free all day Monday (yesterday) and she said "Great! I'm meeting with my supervisor later today and I will reach out to you tomorrow!" It's now been five days and I haven't heard a peep, and she hasn't responded to my e-mail I sent yesterday. Like drat, either keep me in the loop, or tell me you're no longer interested.

E: Lol there's a long 1-star Google Review for this place about how they had a phone interview with the same person I did and was never able to get into contact with anyone ever again. Sweet.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 16, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

piss boner posted:

So I came in here to bitch (again) about how much something sucked rear end the other day and saw the discussion of the big C and it brought me right back to reality. gently caress cancer. Sorry for all that are going through this poo poo right now, makes my heart ache.

I feel this way a lot coming in here too, but FWIW, I strongly believe that just because someone has a bigger, nastier problem than you it doesn't make your problems any less valid and bitch-about-able.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Man, I've wanted a crawler for a long time. Everytime I buy a cool RC truck or car or anything, I play with it for a couple months and then it sits in a closet for a couple years though :sigh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh cool, the pains my girlfriend has been dealing with in her abdomen which the doctors thought was probably gallstones is actually lesions on her liver and we need an MRI to confirm what it is. :thumbsup:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Looks even worse in that picture, there's a literal wall between the driver and passenger.

Well duh, it's American. Walls are the American way now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bleh, I interviewed for a position at one of the larger Universities here this morning, and it was my second choice of options but the first option ghosted me. I didn't really get great vibes off the place and couldn't see myself working well long-term with the team who I interviewed with. Just not excited at all for it.

Of course they were the one employer to offer me a position at all recently, and within half the day. :doh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Like an oatmeal raisin cookie it looks nice and invites you in but it is filled with lies and disappointment. Buy the Land Cruiser.

What the gently caress

T-Square
May 14, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Smooth, natural (peanuts and salt as the only ingredients).

Everyone is all concerned about eating bugs, particularly in our sleep... But no one worries about the creature feeding them to us

If you let a couple of my friends get drunk enough outside on a nice summer night, they'll start snatching bugs out of the air and eat them just to gross everyone else out.

So anyway, crunchy peanut butter is where it's at.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

You're all insane, the 4Runner is my favorite looking vehicle Toyota makes right now.

Doesn't really help that I've had a 4Runner boner for pretty much ever, but still.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I just ate two packets of nong shim black ramen (the best easily available poo poo ever, like 2$ à pack and huge), a pound and a half of grilled chicken, a pound of okra I poached in the liquid, and two eggs I also poached in the liquid. Needed more egg.

Get on my level

E: like 3100 calories. I've done better for a meal. Meh.

The black packets are the super extra spicy ones right? Mmmmm.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

I'd say slightly spicy.

Get some Sanyang 2x Spicy Hot if you want a little bit of fire.

Well, sure. There's a red nong shim packet, I can't remember which is the spicier one.

We used to hang out with a group of Korean guys that were international students here, and they looooved getting us white boys to eat their favorite spicy ramen and they were all staring at me wide-eyed waiting for me to give in to the spiciness the first time, but it was delicious so I didn't.

I miss those dudes :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ruh roh

T-Square
May 14, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're going to miss the hatchback so much, but at least a camry shouldn't give you much trouble.

Fairly sure I witnessed one of that vintage lunch its engine the freeway going home last night.

There was a LOT of smoke.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, after an ultrasound and MRI over the last couple of weeks, I came home Friday night to my girlfriend on the phone with the doctor. It's cancer. In the liver from somewhere else, currently unknown. Biopsy will be scheduled this week for further information and then we go from there I guess.

Special shout-out to the Urgent Care doctor who she saw over a month ago because of persistent abdominal pain. Chest x-ray, pregnancy test, you're fine that'll be $300 bye :thumbsup:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thanks all. Gonna make me cry at my desk again this morning.

Tremek posted:

T-Square, this sucks for you guys and it's going to suck more before it gets better. :( With that said in my -very- limited experience with this, if your girlfriend receives either weird diagnoses or treatment paths that don't totally add up, don't be afraid (hah) to ask questions and to engage in a 2nd (or more) opinions. Take care of each other.

She is far more intelligent than I, and has a pretty good handle on how things work in general medical-wise. If she thinks she's getting hosed by someone she won't hesitate to reach out to someone else.

That being said, her best friend since elementary school comes from a ritzy doctor family, and her father has gotten my girlfriend and her doctor in touch with who he believes is the best oncologist in the area. So fingers crossed he can help us. I'm just very angry at the fact that this could have been caught weeks ago, which probably would have been a huge swing in favor of her outcome.

We just moved in together two weekends ago and finished moving the rest of her stuff in yesterday. This sucks.

E: This is another thing that is greatly bothering me:

Tremek posted:

she went to her doctor complaining of abdominal pain and some bleeding, and that became an ultrasound, which became an MRI, which became urgent surgery

Her and her doctor and radiologist assumed going in that it was some sort of gall bladder issue, and did an ultrasound. Radio silence. A few days passed before they called and said there were multiple masses on her liver that weren't cysts, we need to schedule an MRI. Radio silence. We couldn't get in anywhere for a week, and the MRI was last Wednesday. Radio silence. They waited until the very last minute on Friday (like almost 6:00PM) to call with her diagnosis. At least now her doctor seems to be realizing the severity of the situation and has already reached out to all of the necessary people first thing this morning to get everything that needs to be done, done as quickly as possible.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 29, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Biopsy procedure tomorrow afternoon, PET scan on Thursday morning, and appointment with the oncologist Friday afternoon.

Here we go, I guess.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I had a great time with it. I enjoyed it a lot more than season 2 :shrug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

tfw you re-read S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders" for the 20th time since you first read it at 12 and realize you're now older than Ponyboy's (age 14 in the book) dead parents were when they died in the car wreck. Sorry for the spoiler. Time loving flies.

Holy poo poo you just brought me back to watching the movie across like three or four class sessions after we finished the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh cool, all of the doctors/radiologists/oncologists teamed up and got a plan of action together in one day for us to figure out how we'll need to proceed by the end of the week.

And then her health insurance said "Nah, you gotta wait."

I'm loving done with this country.