Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My name is Powershift and i've got a problem

I'm also apparently a windbag, so swhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

also there's this, i'm too tired to think it out right

I should get a welder......or a glue gun

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still the best

i'm just trying to get better at matching blacks and matching perspective so i can do some.....truly horrible poo poo.

Also i think i use the smudge too too much, i should watch some tutorials or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

why the gently caress canada gotta be so big.

That sucks about your stuff being on fire, Tremek, Good thing everybody's safe. Hopefully Insurance doesn't gently caress with you too badly.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I thought that one was real? :monocle:

Before doing it i googled to see if it had been done irl. found baaaaaad thing called the Eldorado Starfire which they somehow sold a whole bunch of.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 1, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Happy Canada Day to our Canuck AI friends. Y'all seem like some cool dudes.

gently caress, I was feeling good and had a bunch of poo poo i wanted to do today :(

why the gently caress we gotta celebrate imperialism and genocide anyways

Alberta wasn't even part of Canada in 1867 anyways, this is some bullshit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These are quite a bit cheaper than i expected.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/large-automatic-powder-fire-extinguisher/

e:

I cleaned off all the porch goo

Turns out there was wood underneath.

Now what do i slather on to replace the goo?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 1, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

That is neat, though I legit wonder if the air next to the ceiling in my garage might get within spitting distance of that temperature during the summer.

one way to find out :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

my first thought was insurance not wanting to cover the cost of the modifications to the car, and blaming the car mods for burning down the garage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How much are they giving you to take it? :haw:

I'll try makin it pretty but i'm not a miracle worker

e:

Why is the front end so tall

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Thats not what the box of .22LR rounds my fuckwit ex friend threw into a camp fire did. We heard things ricocheting off EVERYTHING as we hid our arses behind the biggest tree we could find while trying to push the dickhead out into the open to catch his own prize.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

You know, I'm thinking maybe a second layer of gypsum on the shared wall between my garage and house might be a good idea...
The attics are still connected, but still not a bad thought.Maybe also build a firewall in the attic, too. Hmmm.

Maybe a layer of asbetos. Good for insulation and fire resistance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gonna go pick up a pair of engines tomorrow. Plan got a lot less cool, but also a hell of a lot cheaper, which should mean it will be get done a whole lot sooner.

The boat anchor ain't dead yet so i'm going to build a wood frame to build everything up and have it running before i even tear the 460 out.

Researching all this relentlessly has really opened my eyes to how poo poo modern cars are.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

AI confession thread: I'm considering buying a former rental vehicle. :(

2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 2.0T, loaded. 23k miles. Jeep CPO with 2 years bumper-to-bumper and 7/100k powertrain.

My wife works literally across the street from the Jeep dealer, so when they need to fix broken stuff, it's not an issue.

On a scale of 1-to-Seriously?, how bad a decision...

This is the worst idea anybody has ever had ever.

In other news, WITNESS ME, BLOODBAGS

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

People are offering to pay me to fix their cars, how much do I charge them? I feel weird taking money from family for what I'd consider a favor, but the money offer is really appreciated

$40/hour for strangers
$80/hour for friends
$160/hour for family

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm going to jump straight to "powershift is going to fuckle those 2 V8s into that truck"?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893240

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean it was HIDZ, until every ole car got them
Then LED accent/DRL lights, until every ole car got the
Now it's backlit grills, and I'm not looking forward to a glowing Toyota grill in my rear-view

Buckle up, buttercup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Humphreys posted:

To the point I'm chatting to the ex-wife about it (we are amicable)

Ask her if she has any single friends :haw:

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Needs more diesel.

All the V12 diesels are like 3000lbs :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Everyone still have their fingers? :911:

I've got extras some how.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Has anyone rented their car out on Turo?

I live in a wealthy, dense, highly car-free neighborhood. I'm thinking of buying something cheap and renting it out on Turo. I'm not sure I'd get the number of trips needed / month for it to be worth it, though - I hate cleaning cars and having to answer messages on my phone.

Put an absolute loving hooptie on there for $499 a day with supercar keyword spam.

"Why yes, i was looking for a 458 spider, but i guess this sebring convertible with mismatched doors will do"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The last thing i would ever want to do on this planet is chase a rental delorean around apologizing for it's failure.

There's also the risk they could use it to travel back in time to before they paid you to rent it, and basically get free use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did another thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893319

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

holy gently caress.

Needs boxier wheels and a boxier steering wheel, but still, holy gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I recently moved to Austin and got rid of my fancy only-had-it-for-poo poo-winters SUV and I want to get an old topless SUV to cruise around with my dog.

But the loving boomers have ruined that, too.

https://www.gatewaybronco.com/inventory-models

Because of fucks like this everyone thinks their rusted out rattle can bronco, 90, or FJ are worth 50k.

loving assholes.

Between them and EAG all my fun car dreams are loving overinflated nightmares.

I read Dupont Registry a lot and there were probably 6 different Bronco restomod companies in the last issue.

And yeah, poo poo's hosed, bruv.

https://classicfordbroncos.com/
https://www.gatewaybronco.com/
https://www.velocityrestorations.com/
https://www.icon4x4.com/br
http://coyotebroncos.com/
https://www.maxliderbros.com/

Stick a coyote in it, hack the rear fenders, paint it eye bleed green. $150k no lowballers i know what i got.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only tractor anybody should ever even consider is the triple D dual drive.

e: lol, this just popped up

2 million in profit off of 15 broncos :hmmyes:

Someone should probably call the cops on the dude selling vin tags.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 7, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

Retail therapy:

What a weird week.

Do a jump!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren: Shootout day at goodwood! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RuJ1k82zU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And the "gently caress you" of the day goes to... NISSAN! Congratulations and thank you Nissan for making an 02 sensor that my crowsfoot o2 sensor wrench won't reach, but hey, I can buy a DEEP crowsfoot 02 sensor wrench!

What is the engineering reason for putting the business end of an 02 sensor 1" deep into a cup? :mad:

The sensor in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MSWGJ6

Because gently caress you, that's why.

I'd cut the pigtail off of the old one and pull it with a regular socket, red locktite on the new one and jam it into a hose to thread it in.

Sorry next owner, i'm the lovely PO of legend.

You could probably drill out a dowel to twist it in too. The dowel and cup will act like a socket. it's not like it needs more than like 30 ft/lbs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just 3D print one in your sintered metal printer.

Soon :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

angryrobots posted:

.... If you get a bigger closed station tractor, does that mean you need a bigger truck and trailer to haul it? It's a viscious cycle. :classiclol:

Simple solution.

It's both truck and tractor!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Watching Mighty Car Mods' latest episode, I love how stoked they are about something I just regard as generic cheap chav transport.

Edit: lol at the German plod.

beater life bruv

Safety Dance posted:

Heading to Quebec City in a day or two for work. What's good in French Canada?

"tabernac" means "hello friend" and they love hearing about how much nicer people are in anglo canada.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 9, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

So, uh, no - discovered this today -

Also today the fire investigator discovered a bullet hole in the passenger door of the Mercedes. TLDR real world results refute the bullshit above

That doesn't look like a .22lr round sitting there.

Keep quoting me out of context and calling it bullshit though.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tremek posted:

I'm not quoting you out of context considering the context of the discussion was my garage fire, and yes it's not 22LR, but ... get mad I guess?

I was responding to someone regarding throwing 22lr in a campfire, using the weights of a 22lr bullet and casing, and the muzzle velocity of a 22lr bullet. You're calling it bullshit because heavier bullets with heavier casings and a lot more powder had a lot more energy.

Stop being a loving twat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Crazy. The house down the street from me caught fire and burned partially down (it was big enough to get in the news), they had the fire inspector on scene the same day, they had the place fenced up and remediation/repair started the next day.

They're not in it yet, but they just got all the walls up and are starting to build out the interior.

What takes so long before the demo starts? Can't find enough contractors?

Yeah, but think of how many restoration companies came out of nowhere in 2013 and stuck around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

My Civic and xA lured me into a false sense of security. Every single transverse engine I've worked on since has been an exercise in frustration while trying to worm my hands into the tiniest of crevices. I almost feel like I should get an engine crane just so I can actually do the next timing belt change with scraping off the skin on my wrists and forearms

If step 1 on changing spark plugs is undoing motor mounts, you bought the wrong car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

everdave posted:

This will sound dumb and I know I could google it but can you swap a light fixture for a ceiling fan without doing anything above in the attic? Would like to put fans in my girls’ rooms. But my attic is very hard to get into and after the great raccoon wars of 2018 I’m not planning on going back up there in this heat.

there are brackets you can stick through the lighting fixture hole and then turn to expand to grab onto the joists

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/westinghouse-15-5-cu-in-retrofit-ceiling-fan-saf-t-brace/1000185436

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 10, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised china hasn't made a celing fan that just screws into the light bulb socket.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

You should be able to just pull the fan cover off and put a new motor in it.

Just shoot the old motor and hook up a new one :corsair:

e: wait, are you talking celing fans or spark plugs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quick, someone write a Rip Torn and Ross Perot at the pearly gates joke.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda sucks when you're not thinking about getting a car and all of a sudden you need one.....I'm getting a headache looking through autotrader and CL, I have no idea what i want and I'm gonna need one soon. gently caress.

They all suck. hth

Also, buy an AMC Eagle

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-Square posted:

Mine's like a booze cruise, but with engine-less boats! So no breaking down and being stranded!

The cops here police the popular drop-off and pick-up points for river tubing, and confiscate liquor. They also hand out tickets for drinking in public to people floating down the river drinking.

It makes sense though because there's no better use of their time than being the fun police.

They also just launched their crime map to show where crimes occurred in the last 14 days so you know to be careful there and....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Tubing and drinking is also fine in SC.

Technically most (maybe all, I dunno) of our public ocean beaches are dry, but it's really just that you can't be obvious with it. It's a big surprise for Ohioans who are used to Gulf coast beaches, when they get busted for open container for walking in the surf with their Bud Light can in Dirty Myrtle.

There's a lake nearby where all the idiots go every weekend where the cops walk up and down the beach dumping out everybody's drinks.

A while ago, there was a ricer forum meet that tried driving through it, they stopped 150 cars on the side of the highway and handed out all kinds of tint and exhaust tickets as a "never come back" kind of thing.

They also give $150 tickets for swearing.

It's not even a nice place. There are boarded up buildings right on the beachfront and everything's old and ratty but not the cool kind of old and ratty, just the "built in the 80s by an alcoholic and already in shambles kind of ratty and i just don't loving get it.