Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there anything AI related to do in Paris? I'll be there for a night soon.

Also, Mazda is perfect and has never made an imperfect vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

Like I said, oatmeal raisin is fine. It's more the disappointment that they're *not* chocolate chip, if that was what you were expecting, you know?

Unrelated, I just learned that Outback VDCs like mine came with a cabin air filter. I just watched a video on changing it, and holy poo poo it's obvious that they didn't really design the car to have it initially. I've never seen a cabin air filter where you have to unscrew so much stuff to get to it. 8 screws, two bolt, one wiring connector, and 4 spring clips. The one in our Kia, the most annoying part is dumping out the contents of the glove box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdlIuSRU0X4

You have to unbolt the interior fusebox on a first-gen Mazda 3

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

I feel your pain. I've been looking for a replacement for my wife's Juke for several weeks. The stories I have from dealers are beyond stupid stereotypes. It's like they're actively trying to be terrible people.

So, I tried a different tactic last night, a CarMax wannabe competitor in the Baltimore area has a 2018 Mercedes GLA250 at a good price. I tried to buy it last night, and I'm outside of their free delivery zone, so they were going to get back to me by noon today with a price (confirmed on the phone last night). I filled out all their disclosure forms and paperwork, copies of my driver's license and insurance, everything. I was going to wire them the money and be done...

except they never replied. :sigh:

Have you test driven a GLA? I don't think they're bad but you can probably get better for the price. Getting a good deal? Also, headroom? Consumer reports rates their reliability well, which is nice to hear from a Mercedes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

We settled on the GLA after not buying a QX30, not liking the NX200t or Kia Sportage SX and generally exhausting the CUV segment, taking many out of the running because they are simply underpowered.

It's a replacement for my wife's Juke and is larger in every regard, yet still fairly compact. It's got a much bigger trunk area, a lot more features, and is a new Benz.

Looking at them for a while, they're strange... middle-mileage 2015? $23k Middle mileage 2016? $24k Middle mileage 2017? $25k. It's like they depreciate like rocks over the first two years, then seriously plateau. So there's a down-the-line value consideration, too.

Edit: During the course of this, I also found out that I have ZERO insurance when riding my ebike. I've got full, massive coverage for the cars and house with at $1M umbrella, but as soon as I take the ebike off my property, there is no coverage at all, not even for theft. Non-motored bikes are fully covered for everything. Cars are fully covered for everything. Ebikes? Insurance says "gently caress off." :wtf:

Ah, I haven't really driven any other CUV besides a '99 Forester so don't have anything to compare it to. I was surprised that my hair was brushing the ceiling, and I'm not tall or anything. The visibility was bad, but all new cars seem to be this way, even my hero car, the new Mazda 3. Otherwise it was perfectly fine to drive. I sat in a new A class sedan and it wasn't bad. Buttons galore (which I like). I wonder if the GLA will be refreshed in a year or two?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NumbersMatching320 posted:

1987 Mazda Wagon, even without knowing which one.

That or the 87 Nissan truck, if you want something reliable. 92 323 is a good car, but way overpriced.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

During the course of all the dealer bullshit, I contacted my insurance company to see how a new car would effect premiums. Turns out... not that much.

HOWEVER, I also checked on my eBike and found that I had ZERO coverage on it. I'm covered on whatever car I touch, whether it's mine or not. I'm covered on every bicycle I touch, whether it's mine or not. But the instant I take the eBike off my property, I have zero coverage for damage or liability.

I've got my house covered and cars covered well with my insurance company. I've also got a $1M umbrella policy to cover things, just in case... well, I guess that umbrella has holes.

So, I ended up getting a third-party insurance policy just to ride a damned eBike. Interesting.

I was thinking of getting one of those; good idea checking on the insurance.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

I want a dashcam for my truck. I'm not an uber driver or anything, but something to record accidents and police interactions.

suggestions?

Galler posted:

Ars had some suggestions on dash cams recently
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/guidemaster-the-best-dash-cams-to-guard-your-every-drive/

I don't trust any of the Chinese options to work when I need them or for the companies to even exist in a year so I'm going to get a Garmin at some point. Probably the Garmin 66W.

There is a dashcam thread, but if you are serious then get something from Street Guardian USA. They're active on the dashcam talk forums and have very good support. It's not worth gambling with a G1W or whatever cheap poo poo that might not actually work when you need it. See if the newer Garmins use a battery or capacitor, as the old models would overheat the battery and shut off.

Also I'm waiting for the day we cure cancer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cakesmith handyman posted:

No joke I'm considering keeping the wife's Volvo when we upgrade her to a people carrier rather than keep the panda based on the accidents you guys have suffered recently. It'd fare better if I got hit by anything bigger than a tennis ball.

Yeah I eventually want to get a car that's been engineered for the small overlap crash test. But I love my 06 Mazda 3 and want to keep it forever :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Different Costcos have different selections so call ahead.