Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks for all the good vibes guys. It’s been a weird few days and it’s going to be a weird few months.

A little singed but not too worse for wear. If I had left it another minute in front of the garage I’m confident it would be gone.

I came back in the morning yesterday to find the Mercedes had been dragged out of the garage, and that the structure of the front of the garage had been cut down overnight by the fire department. They had left some volunteer search-and-rescue kids sitting in a truck watching the wreckage in case something flared up, and apparently the Mercedes started smoking again so they called a wrecker to pull it out and then the FD cut down the unsafe front part of the garage.

You can also see in that picture all the exposed gypsum used as a fire break between the garage and the house that I didn’t know was there. I was told by half a dozen disbelieving people over the past 24 hours that the “house must have been built right” to survive the fire, and I guess I’m not going to argue with them at this point.

You can see there’s unspent ammo, bullets, and shell casings all the way out at the front of the garage from where it cooked off. I had to break down the fence with my hands while the fire was raging to get my dogs out and all the while I could hear rounds cooking off. Thought to myself I was going to get injured/shot by my own drat ammo while it was happening, but luckily didn’t.

Maybe that cheesy license plate surround was really CF after all...

My tractor is a bit scorched. So are the trash cans.

We’re so lucky we didn’t lose the entire house. You can see where it had penetrated the eaves and was headed into the attic. There’s a pic of the FD hanging out of my kids’ window with a hose, spraying up in there.

TLDR, total forking shirtshow. We’re not harmed (aside from one of our dogs who I’m taking to the vet in a few hours, might have sprained his leg hopping through the fence I pulled down but I think he will be ok.) Just displaced. My kids are all weirded out but we’re at my in-laws (again ... we were here for 6 weeks at the end of 2017 when we began this stupid adventure of starting to remodel this dumb house, so it’s a bit of deja vu.)

Going to try to select a remediation contractor today and get the process underway. Nobody knows how it started, and I think that bothers me more than anything. Makes me feel uncontrollably unsafe.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow. Also:

We formally closed on the house April 30th, and it appears the title company hosed up sending the year’s prepayment to our homeowners insurance out of escrow. It was sent to the wrong address, so therefore the insurance company cancelled the policy without telling anyone, and of course as insurance and taxes are paid monthly by us as part of our payment, all this was completely out of our control, so that’s in limbo and we are exploring our potential legal options in the meantime while Safeco decides if they’re going to play ball or dig their heels in. What a week.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Strange coincidence; as all this poo poo went down on Sunday we had a friends-couple over (they had lost their dog to cancer on Saturday, we didn’t realize this while at the music festival and were trying to be good friends and give them company and to get them out of their house - did not foresee inviting them to a disaster...) and one of them is a practicing malpractice attorney in our state. He’s aware of all the chaos that went down and is taking place and the general consensus is Safeco’s inaction at this time is more likely a result of their due diligence and bureaucratic machine kicking into gear and doing the calculus of whether cynically its more cost-effective to own this now or to spur on what undoubtedly would be a drawn-out legal battle that would get even more expensive for them quickly at the end of the day.

Also, JPMC bought our loan almost immediately after we closed with the funding lender, and that’s another looming specter over all this as undoubtedly JPMC will be Not Happy with the funding lender, title company, and Safeco/Liberty Mutual. We made our first mortgage payment to the funding lender, the second auto-drafted out of my Chase checking account as of Monday, so if nothing else there’s a very clear paper trail of us the homeowners doing the right thing here.

We’re ok generally speaking, we’re staying at my in-laws in the (very) short term, and even if Safeco wants to make this as hard as possible (which I doubt at this time given the indications I’m hearing about their interaction with the title company) and go to war we should be ok.

Powershift posted:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

Uh - the case and bullet weight matter a lot less than the energy of the volatiles inside...

This wasn’t predominantly 22LR, which only has something like 1-2 grains of powder - there were something like 4K rounds of 223/556/762, all of which average something like 25 grains of powder and have bigger primers too. It was all rounds I had accumulated over more than a decade when it was cheap.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 3, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's a next-level shitshow, Tremek. I wish I could say something of help or guidance, but you're into pro territory now. At least there's a clear and known plan for the doggo's rehab.

Thanks, hopefully. Our Newfie is staying with aforementioned friends and loving the attention:

But I don’t know what we’re going to do to help my rottie. He is the goodest of boys and loves everyone but my mother in law is crazy and has this little whateverpoo mix who I and all of us get along with fine, but she’s convinced that my ravenous deathbeast is going to eat him and she has the vapors over this etc etc. It’s absurd and a function of her undiagnosed but obvious narcissism/borderline poo poo she’s got going on, but I digress.

Pictured - ravenous deathbeast in happier times... He’s at the vet overnight getting good drugs and TLC.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Let's not tempt fate by saying this on the SAME PAGE we're still talking about Tremek's experience.

I’d say too soon, but

Is apparently my life now

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Why do I have Billy Joel stuck in my head now :sigh:

Yeah well I’d trade a lot to not be in this situation, 0/5 stars.

Taking the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for the holiday. They have been really awesome this week and we need a break from staying with the in-laws. Rottie is with my dad who loves him for the foreseeable future, hoping we can get some clarity early next week on next steps.

Oh and work which has been fantastic still needs me to present to a room of executives for a multi billion dollar corporation next Wednesday, so I guess I’m buying a new suit tomorrow maybe? As everything I own reeks of fire musk. It’s so bad I have to try to not retch when I open the front door to the house.

nm posted:

June was a bad month for E63 AMGs

Hope that one can get back on the road, but if not it probably did its job protecting occupants.

The insurance adjuster for Ameriprise (car, not house insurance) called me on Tuesday and said she had Googled the fire, and was like uh yeah I’m not even going to need to send an appraiser out to you, I’m sorry this happened etc etc.

Yesterday I got a hug from a random Petsmart employee, and a dog food rep insisted on buying a couple of bags of treats to send home to my dad’s. On the whole people have been really amazing and I’m so appreciative of the friends and family and community we’re fortunate to have.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 4, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You must be good people Tremek, sorry this poo poo has landed on your doorstep :/

Thanks. I sort of flippantly said to my wife yesterday, “maybe [re: our friends’ response] this means people don’t think we’re total assholes!”

I feel pretty pathetic right now though. Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t a good look.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Retail therapy:

What a weird week.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Tremek that is a spicy truck. Does this mean the 200 is gone?

Oh no, keeping the 200. It’s paid off and in spite of being run into multiple times, hail, and now fire, it just keeps on tickin’ - gonna keep it until the wheels fall off.

I figured that since we are unexpectedly back in construction mode and that the Mercedes is defunct, may as well have something more useful again for the tasks at hand. I’ll get a sporty car again eventually.

With all that said this truck is really stinkin’ nice (as it should be considering how drat much they are.) Aside from my dad’s pickup which hasn’t run since I have had it, this is the first pickup I have had. Also the Recaros are the best ventilated seats I have ever sat in.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Ammo that isn't in a barrel just makes a little pop. Bullets fire because there isn't anywhere else for the gas to go but to push the bullet. If it cooks off without that support around it the brass expands and the bullet doesn't go anywhere.

Just a little FYI.

Powershift posted:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

So, uh, no - discovered this today -

Also today the fire investigator discovered a bullet hole in the passenger door of the Mercedes. TLDR real world results refute the bullshit above

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I'm not quoting you out of context considering the context of the discussion was my garage fire, and yes it's not 22LR, but ... get mad I guess?

PS, good news today: Safeco is stepping up and has officially confirmed they're retroactively reinstating our policy back to closing so all this is covered. Now the process begins with our public adjusters doing their parallel process with the Safeco adjusters to advocate for us getting a fair settlement. This also means we can get a rental covered by insurance, and an advance for replacing necessities, etc.

All good things, but per the realistic estimates we're hearing, will still probably be 2+ months before any demo or remediation begins, and a good 6+ months before we're back in.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

I was responding to someone regarding throwing 22lr in a campfire, using the weights of a 22lr bullet and casing, and the muzzle velocity of a 22lr bullet. You're calling it bullshit because heavier bullets with heavier casings and a lot more powder had a lot more energy.

Stop being a loving twat.

I bet you're fun at parties. Also note I quoted ilkhan. Betting you have heard "it's not all about you" more than once in your life.

In other news, almost 300 miles on the Raptor, which I like aside from the angry minivan tragedy that is the Ecoboost powerplant answer to a question nobody asked. This truck would be 10x better with a forced induction V8, which watch Ford introduce next month.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Lol. Welcome back, Tremek.

That's a lot of truck to push around with a turbo V6. But I like the idea of it. Are there tuning options for power, or is Ford wringing out what it's got already?

Thanks, trying to figure out some normalcy, if it means bickering on SA then I guess that's a good problem to have.

re: truck, it looks like there's a whole host of tunes out there, and it appears a lot of guys like to upgrade their charge coolers ($$$) and add CAIs (questionable at best IMHO) and a tune to get the trucks to scoot more effectively.

Somewhat amusingly, the day after the fire the HPTuners MPVI v2 adapter I had ordered/upgraded to for the Mercedes showed up on the porch... I found it in the (small) pile of unopened packages last night and went and tried to do some datalogging briefly in the Raptor.

Looks like there's a good amount of knock retard happening; interestingly there's also wideband sensor(s?) built in so that's cool re: tuning, but I didn't dig into how to activate and capture those PIDs so I don't think they're in the screenshot below. Edit: looking again, it looks like they're represented by the WB Bank 0/1 lambda figures?

On the subject of KR, I don't know what gas the dealer filled it with before I drove off, and it's still at more than a half tank left, so I'm trying to not jump to conclusions and for the time being like to think they put 87 in it and it really wants 91 to run right.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 9, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

I thought those things had V8's. Huh! Also I can't imagine a dealer not knowing to put top tier gas into top tier vehicles, even if it is limited to lovely 91. But I also can understand after the E63 why it might not feel as quick to you as it might to some...

That's also fair, after almost 2 years out of a "fast" car the E63 was a hoot ... but it may well have also ruined/reset my butt dyno's calibration.

I also want to look into E85. 36 gallons capacity and ~10 mpg wouldn't be so bad if it can make a bunch more power without $$$$ into incremental HPFPs and injectors and so forth.

I know this will come as a shocker to all of you, but the Raptor forums are a bit of a shitshow and it's not entirely clear to me how to parse out where the real/good info is on what's working and what isn't.

PPS, fire investigator isn't yet sure of the cause, but was confident the fire wasn't started by the Mercedes. Goodnight sweet wagon price, we hardly knew ye. I think I had it something like 6 weeks. At least I can feel better about it not having happened due to the car.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Right tool for the job makes all the difference.

I’m a big believer in this and used to espouse that to 14id all the time. Now I’m looking at all the ashes of the sometimes-ok, occasionally decent-to-good stuff I had collected over the past ~15 years and having funny moments trying to decide what I need and want.

Probably should just get most things as needed but it’s weird being back at a fewer-tools-than-college stage and trying to decide what are the staples etc.

Frankly won’t need to deal with most of that for a while. I’m of half a mind to set up a proper shop in the corner of whatever we build.

Unrelated: day trip to SLC, here we go...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Does this mean we are going to hang out?

Sorry :( Decent chance I’ll be back soon, per the norm I saw the inside of the airport, plane, Uber, conference room, uber, airport, plane, airport.

AA, that accident sucks, hope you heal quickly!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda sucks when you're not thinking about getting a car and all of a sudden you need one.....I'm getting a headache looking through autotrader and CL, I have no idea what i want and I'm gonna need one soon. gently caress.

This sounds familiar

Get something awesome in the toaster’s place. Unsolicited $0.02 - RWD V8s are only going to get more scarce, so do the needful and live a little.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Floor chat: we had composite fake wood at our previous house that was decent but not as robust as the full “luxury” vinyl (fully vinyl plank - no wood to absorb moisture, warp, etc) that we put in our now-needs-rebuilt house. We used the Lifeproof brand from Home Depot and it’s put up with 3 little boys, 2 big dogs, and 2 cats with very little wear. Will probably use the same stuff again once what we have gets pulled out of the house during the rebuild.

On a lighter note my wife and I took the boys for a long drive in the Raptor yesterday. I finished burning off the lovely dealer gas and put ~33 gallons of Shell 91 in it and it seems much happier.

We drove up to Boulder, then went up to Estes Park, and decided while we were there to go through Rocky Mountain National Park and up and over Trail Ridge Road, and finally came back by way of Idaho Springs where we stopped for good pizza at a fixture there, Beau Jo’s. We all had a great time. Something like 700 miles on the Raptor now. I chased a WRX down Berthoud Pass and gapped a GMT800 6.6 diesel on the way up Floyd Hill. For a bigass truck the Raptor handles well and makes decent power.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Lightning blue is the best color. It's heavy, but the 3.5EB/10A is a great engine/trans combo.

My truck is “Performance Blue” which is a little more subdued than the brighter metallic blue they also make.

I’m still not in love with the drivetrain. The engine makes horrible noises and gets no better gas mileage than a V8, it’s dumb.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

To be fair it pretty much matches a Lariat for comforts with the 802A package, plus a bunch of off road benefits too.

I think my truck has nearly $20k in options, it's stupid, but here we are.

PS the only option that really matters is the one it doesn't get yet, a forced-induction V8

PPS someone find me a loving tuner that will tune a '19 Raptor using HP Tuners. Apparently all the tuners I can find either use handheld stuff like Cobb's tuner, or, use the nGauge which (according to the tuners, but this is unverified) doesn't use the same tune files as HP Tuners' VCM Suite. I have to do something about the stock throttle tip-in

Tremek fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 16, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Fender Anarchist posted:

this is my biggest loving gripe with modern cars, when I'm playing chauffer I can't drive my family's cars as smoothly as they demand because of the loving SPORTY! throttle mapping.

Quite the opposite here, the tip-in in Normal mode is far too dampened and the transmission tuning is set to desperately hunt for higher gears almost immediately no doubt in the vain quest for fractional MPGs. It nevertheless fails to achieve those MPGs and only serves to feel laggy and unresponsive. I want if nothing else a linear throttle but frankly wouldn’t mind having the throttle overboosted even in Normal mode as this piece of poo poo Ecoboost is hauling around 3 tons of truck at ~6000 feet and ain’t nobody got time for this EPA appeasing sea level tune bullshit.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bandimere? Bandimere is in Morrison, which is up against the foothills west of Denver. As are the mountains!

Seriously tho wear earpro, all big drag stuff is outrageously loud. $0.25 foam plugs + $9.99 HF over the ear protection. Is all you need.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Even at say $75k + TTL, a z51 Vette stands to be a hell of a performance car for the money ... Granted we don’t have any performance tests etc. to look at yet, but c’mon. Is there another mid-engine car under $100k even remotely close in theoretical performance? All I can come up with for the same money/segment are 4 cylinder 300hp 718s or even worse an Alfa Romeo 4c (are they even made still?)

Ether Frenzy posted:

With that interior styling I won't be shocked to learn that is the price point for the "Corvette Berlinetta", a 4 cylinder model, and it only has 3 buttons on the meter-of-buttons strip of 45 buttons the $220k ZR-1 gets.

GM confirmed on the launch last night that the 6.2L V8 is the base engine, sport exhaust puts it at 495/470, and in theory the stripper model will sticker at $59,995 or whatever.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 20, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Of all the things you've ever said, I think this is by far the wrongestest.

If we’re talking TCO, I mean ... maybe there’s argument there?

Insurance: probably more on a 360 but lots of variables here.
Cost to finance: guaranteed the Corvette will be cheaper if you’re getting a note.
Maintenance: this is where things get scary on a 360; brief googling shows $2500-5000 annual estimates from owners, but also consider this is calculated by people expecting to put similar amounts of mileage on these Ferraris.

For me, that’s the deal killer - mileage has a huge impact on a Ferrari’s value down the road. Whereas I wouldn’t expect to put anything other than tires, brake pads, oil, and gas in a C8 for the first 3-5 years - while driving the piss out of it - no reason you can’t do 10-20k miles a year on a Vette as your DD? - but you’ll always be limited to treating anything short of a 430 or 458 as though it’s made of glass.

At any rate, IF you only accrue 2-5k miles a year on a 360, considering it’s not depreciating anymore, sure, TCO of a 360 might be similar to a C8 when you factor in the C8’s inevitable depreciation plus other things like higher registration and taxes etc. depending on where you are.

But, and I pose this real question to all of you:

What kind of rear end in a top hat buys a Ferrari to not drive it?

I’d much rather put 6 figure mileage on a C8 while getting a similar driving experience and enjoying it immensely while also knowing that if and when it breaks there’s a Chevy dealer or Corvette speciality shop within spitting distance to unfuck it.

PS, I floated the idea of a C8 to the wife once the house is rebuilt and she was not opposed, so there’s that.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The catch is no one puts 10k miles a year on a 20 year old Ferrari, so that’s where these comparisons break down completely.

Even assuming you were able to keep it on the road consistently enough to actually do the 10k miles a year for multiple years, the ensuing relatively massive hit on the car’s value due to being “high mileage” combined with the higher running costs and eye-watering maintenance costs would wipe out any advantage.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

It doesn’t help that the Disco engines were still being built off of tooling hearkening back to the 1960s Buick V8 it was based off of - and by the early ‘00s it was all worn out, so you ended up with extremely sloppy tolerances and engines that liked to drop cylinder liners at 30k miles.

A buddy of mine had an extremely expensive rebuild done on his Disco - like more than $10k expensive - and it lunched itself again after 10k. Don’t be dumb, there are many reasons they’re dirt cheap, and for that matter GX470s aren’t that expensive anymore either. I see high mileage ones going by in the 5-9k range now. PS, the GX will be way faster than a Disco.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

An s60r 6mt is the right choice though, by far

Time to ~*~invest~*~ in NLA angle gears!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you get the ecoboost? They're silly money from what I can see. I'm looking to stay under 20k since that's about the value of my current car that I'll be ditching.

Legit suggestions: either a ‘13-‘14 Mercedes GL450 (4.7 TT V8) which is in every possible way a better car than a Flex/MKT/Explorer/other FoMoCo shitshows built on the same platform, or possibly a 08-11 Land Cruiser or LX570. The GL450 is a better/more practical car than any of the above, but the LC/LX come with bulletproof reliability. You can find examples of any of these around $20k now.

Seriously don’t buy a Flex.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Aww too bad. Maybe its for the best though because the p400 is a garbage controller anyway. Its slow and only supports drives up to 2TB and can't even handle the 6gb/s that those sas drives are capable of. You're honestly better off building a NAS out of a desktop with some SATA drives and a decent consumer card.
At least the 410 supports drives larger than 2TB, which the p400 does not. Unfortunately I don't think the p410 is suppported in the g5 since it's first gen pci-e, and the p410 is second gen.

I continue to be impressed at how good the latest versions of FreeNAS have been if you’re willing to roll up your nerd sleeves and do a bit of config.

Granted it’s going to need to be replaced after the fire but I took a dual Xeon (ex-Amazon decommissioned DC) barebones with 64GB ECC RAM and threw 6x6TB HGST drives in it (which are laughably underutilized) and then stacked half a dozen VM/jails on top of it (Plex, IP cam NVR etc) and it’s still underutilized. FreeNAS is cool.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Replacing stuff chat:

I need to replace my nice Viair portable 12v air compressor that met its untimely end in the garage fire. It put up with a lot of abuse and always was a trooper, but it was a bit slow. I think mine was the 300P model.

I really don't need 100% duty cycle for my use (car tires, bike tires, and refilling the 33-35" tires of my ~*~offroad vehicles~*~ when coming back off a trail) - per Viair's site I suspect it was capable of less than 2 CFM however. I also had a twin ARB under-hood unit in the garage that's also gone now, and while that will be good for airing up on the Land Cruiser once I also replace that, I really enjoyed the versatility of being able to drop the 300P onto any 12v battery and fill up.

Is there another brand/model you guys also think I should be looking at? Call it a up-to $500 budget for a kickass portable.

Edit: the 440P looks like their highest-volume portable at 3.0 CFM at 0 PSI...

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 25, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you misspelled chode. :imunfunny:

Point of order: can someone explain chad vs chud

Also, in the I don't know what it means and I'm too afraid to ask category: thot?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

went full send getting onboard air on the farmtruck:

Might be able to air up the 37s.

Donkey gonna donk. Pleasantly reminds me of this:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Confirmed I'm on the list with Purifoy Chevy for a C8 and ordered an email tune for the Raptor, don't @ me

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Got a first-offer from Ameriprise back on the value of the E63s and I noticed that two of the three comps were sedans. They lowballed a number of other aspects of the car, not to mention the AMS stuff, so now I’m beginning to negotiate with the adjuster.

TBD on how this will go but it feels like every single piece of this process is going to be aggravating and designed to get me to give up and accept as little as possible, and it’s tiring.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

How about something like this?
https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/2475-21XC

With a 12V adapter you can charge it up on the road too and takes standard M12 Milwaukee batteries.

I don't want to sound overly weird about this but I'm a little gun-shy about li-ion batteries right now (as that's what the prevailing thought is around what started the fire.)

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do on that front for tools.

Beach Bum posted:

Having been there, to get the best a fair deal you always have to do your own legwork and provide your own comparables. Check with your agent/adjuster, but they'll likely want zipcode, VIN, year, trim package, and the owner's name and contact info (email/phone), as well as the list price. Be sure to save a screenshot of the ad. Getting a VIN out of some people is a goddamn cast iron bitch, for some reason they think you can steal their whole life with it. I had the best success saying I wanted to run a CarFax on the vehicle, most people were perfectly happy to cough it up. Don't go into anything about researching comps for an insurance claim; representing yourself as anything other than a potential buyer yielded meaningful results far less often.

Yeah, part of what I’m fighting is Mercedes only made 477? E63s wagons for the US market in 2014, and at any given time there’s usually about ~10-15 for sale nationally. They were all special order etc etc. TBD whether they fight me on this. At least I don’t have to fight them on diminished value!

I sent them 4 comps, 2 wagons that had silly Brabus and RENNTech builds on them ($115k and $75k respectively, lol - the $115k one is local though!) - and then two stock wagons in the $60s. The adjuster’s response was “ohh, ok, I can see why you’re telling me this, I need to talk to my supervisor.” Yeah ok thx.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 26, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

It's kind of nuts what they're going for now, especially manuals.

I miss mine sometimes but I wouldn't buy another just because I have already been down that road.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Maybe Russia isn’t that bad after all.

Hmm. She does look a little bit like Ivanka, doesn’t she...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

Except for being like 12. Dude....seriously.

E: no, I've give it 15.

Forest for the trees pal.

Here, is this better?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Hawt hawt Raptor on Raptor action:

Went and retrieved the kid’s Raptor from our field where it had sat the past month after the fire, and bought it a new charger. My kids are delighted and now terrorizing the rental cul-de-sac.

Note virtually nothing being different in the background - Mercedes is still there, although that pine tree is probably gonna die. That fire got hot.

Edit: RIP Scooty Puff Tractor Jr. :(

Tremek fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are those things still NiMH inside?

It’s just a big heavy lead acid battery.

Edit: AGM sealed lead acid