Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

<goes back to June thread>
Jesus christ man! Glad it worked out as well as it did. Good luck with the rebuilding process :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey, Seattle-area goons..

Wife and I are taking a 1 week cruise in September. Leaves 22 and comes back 29th. I'll be needing a hotel for the night of 22 (any maybe 29-30) and a place to park our car for a week.

Recommendations? Looks like there is LT parking near the pier which we'll probably end up using, but open to suggestions for parking and a room.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Saw this in the Walmart parking lot of a small town last week

I love it

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dagen H posted:

'40 Ford COE?

Looks like a winner to me. He had the motor in the back. It's what underneath the "step" on the flat deck and the air intake is under that cover on the right next to the exhaust.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: ammo in a fire, this is a pretty good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&t=788s
That was very interesting. Thanks for linking that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh gently caress. You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer more sooner than later, just in case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HandlingByJebus posted:

Our rescue Pit mix had TPLO surgery done on both knees back-to-back about four months after we adopted him. Between that and rehab it was $12-13k, and our pet insurance company decided both were pre-existing conditions (because actuarially [:actually:], joint issues are considered bilateral regardless). Still, A++++ Would Pay Out of Pocket Again, our little man is so drat happy and so drat mobile and so pain-free. :3:

Sorry about all the bullshit life's serving you this week, Tremek. Good luck with it all, and yeah, don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support.

e: here's my favorite 85 lbs of derp

:3: :3:

Oh my god that face

meatpimp posted:

Sad day for discriminating palettes. Terrible way to salute America. :911:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

One of my clients is a fairly well known whiskey distillery and the fire suppression system in their aging warehouses are insane, although with the potential fuel any fire would have it would have to be incredible. Areas are intrinsically safe and you can't even walk in with a cell phone.

Not a place you want to go hungover due the smell of whiskey in the air. Ask me how I know.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Totally anecdotal but my mother's last two vehicles were x rental units and both have been absolutely trouble-free. Mitsubishi RVR and a grand am before that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dagen H posted:

You had me up until the second sentence.
The even crazier part? My wife bought the Grand Am off her, we put another 50K on it with no issues, and sold it to our niece after that. AFAIK it's still on the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Every single one of those would be questionable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KakerMix posted:

welp

Do you think they'll allow me to post in the Hot Hatch thread?

EDIT

I also bought this but eh

That thing looks like an 80s time capsule, especially with those rear deck speakers. I love it. Also love the landcruiser.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I actively want my parents/in laws to go through as much of their money as they can before they kick it. It's theirs, they earned it. Enjoy it. If dad wants a 60s muscle car and he can afford it, do it. Buy a big RV and explore? Knock yourself out.

Just for the love of god all I want them to do is downsize/get rid of their poo poo before they get too old. If they get hit by a bus going through all the junk they've amassed in the past few decades which are mostly garage sale finds would be absolutely painful and make us kids rent a dumpster to clean out their house.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My old Canon MP530 inkjet is still chugging along after about, oh, 12 years?

Every now and then gets pissy when I need to put a new tank in it (doesn't like sending the carriage over) but eventually it works.

I think when it does eventually die though, I'll be going laser.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If it's the same thread as a pinion nut maybe a driveline place?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the spyder posted:

My iPhone 6 has finally reached end of life, after surviving being dropped down 5 flights of stairs and dunked in a wash bucket. The screen is now bleeding, the mic port and external speaker are dead, and most troublesome the alarm no longer produces any auditory or vibrations. I missed a 1am emergency call from work and overslept through a meeting last week. I’ve started looking at replacements, but I can’t justify $750+ for another iPhone when I don’t use the Apple ecosystem. I’ve been looking at OnePlus and the Pixel 3a as alternatives. Any others I should check out?

Moto G family for a capable but budget friendly phone

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A thing happened to me last night at about 2am

Drunk driver ran a red light. I lucked out, only a few broken ribs and feeling really beat up. Seat belt saved my life, wear your seat belts kidos.

Late to this, but that really sucks dude. Breathing sucks with broken ribs, laughing is even worse.... but sneezing worse than that.

Was the driver charged with impaired?

Hard a weird TKD class last night. A novice instructor was giving us a really weird drill, wanted us to catch a full power kick. When you're partnering with someone that is erratic the end result is about is good as you can expect. Caught her kick in my thumb and pushed it way, way, waaay back. Hurt like a motherfucker.

Within 30 seconds we were gearing up for sparring and I physically couldn't put my glove on my hand. Just as well in hindsight.

In the changeroom about 10 minutes afterwards and short use of a coldpack

This morning

At least it's my left hand. The bruising is just starting to show but the center of my palm and thumb is going to be wicked purple. No way my watch could slide over my hand this AM either LOL.

Have a wedding to go to tomorrow as well so I'll be driving for 7 hours tonight so I won't even be able to keep icing it. Whelp.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'd take the Isuzu :shobon:

Think I posted last month (don't remember) but when my folks were visiting end of last month Dad ended up needing some emergency hernia surgery and they discovered a mass in his lung during imaging for the hernia.

Just confirmed Stage III lung cancer. Lifelong smoker until about 4 years ago and is in the best shape I've ever seen him in (he's my stepdad, married my Mom about 21 years ago). If it wasn't for the hernia we'd never know.

Not great news obviously, but since we found out about the mass not a surprise. Had a couple weeks to prepare for it.

I am now preparing for roller coaster ride that's just beginning. :(

Don't think I slept more than 45 minutes last night knowing this news was coming down the pipe.

A new concern I have, and I realized this last night lying in bed, is keeping them away from all the cancer bullshit on the internet and they are on facebook all the loving time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys - not looking for sympathy, just more of an outlet.

Genuinely appreciate it. I've always been one to hope for the best, prepare for the worst. He's a tough bastard and literally the luckiest guy I know (other than, well, cancer, obviously).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

piss boner posted:

So I came in here to bitch (again) about how much something sucked rear end the other day and saw the discussion of the big C and it brought me right back to reality. gently caress cancer. Sorry for all that are going through this poo poo right now, makes my heart ache.
You're totally allowed to bitch dude. It's not a contest on who's got it worse :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

... are those late 90s Cavalier headlights? :smith:
Literally the first thing I was drawn to. Sometimes I try that little game with RVs and see what the donor vehicles were for things like that.

We have a small little local pizza place in the population 9000 bedroom community I live in. Actually, we have 5 pizza places in this small town and because of there being so many no specific one seem to be super patronized. But my favorite is this little place running out of the kitchen of a closed hotel owned by best I can figure out 3 immigrant families (of interestingly 3 different ethnicities) scratching out a living.

The pizza is, quite honestly, some of the best I've ever had anywhere. It is fantastic. So good, I'd drive from an hour away just to eat there. I would be heartbroken if this place closes due to lack of business so I do my part with telling people about it, only buying my pizza there and leaving positive reviews.

Anyhow, buying lunch tomorrow for 14-16 guys so I went in and ordered a whole shitload of pizza, onion rings, wings. Totally made the guys' day who took my order :3:

On the way out I noticed they had BIG slices of pizza for $3. Haven't eaten lunch yet, so why not. Gave him $5 and told him to keep the change. Dude was just beaming at me. Took the all meat (bacon, ham, pepperoni, italian sausage). The pizza it came from is probably 18", so it's a big slice

Holy poo poo. My favorite best pizza ever just might have got replaced... by another pizza from the same place. And I'm stuffed.

Support your local food guys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

*grumble*
So my apartment complex has been repainting - changing the entire color scheme. That's fine, I like the new scheme more than the old one.

What I don't like is doors getting painted shut. I clicked the remote to get into my garage last night and the door jumped, then slammed back down. Huh? Click the remote again, same thing. Clicked again while lifting it by hand from the bottom, it made a loud POP and went up fine. It was too dark for me to see that they'd painted, and there's no other way into the garage. The way it jumped, I figured maybe the spring let go and I could probably help it up (it's the thinnest aluminum door in the world). I couldn't wait around for emergency maintenance to show up, and the way it was acting was classic broken spring.... not "superglued shut by paint".

$5 says the opening arm pulled itself right out of the door bracket.

I am a total sucker for good donairs/gyros. Preferably with a bit of hot sauce.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lovely or improperly used foam earplugs with lovely over ear muffs will be worse than good foam earplugs alone.

Don't have false security just because you're doubling up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As someone whose client base is mostly in the food industry, there are all sorts of things you don't want to know about. Flour milling, potato processing and sugar production attract all sorts of interesting critters.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm working on tomatoes. I've made progress.
:hfive: tomato hater

Although I love ketchup and most pasta sauces. ...As long as there isn't big chunks of tomato that is.

drat, getting a knock you on your rear end summer cold sucks. Felt it starting to come Saturday (sore throat, raspy), pretty much laid up all day Sunday (went through almost 2 boxes of tissues), couldn't breathe, slow recovery yesterday, will probably go back to the office tomorrow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Prong Song posted:

I am taking a trip in August to the San Francisco area. Fisherman's Wharf, Muir Woods, Napa Valley; typical tourist stuff. The rental car we're getting for the entire time there is a "Volkswagen Jetta or similar".

While we're there, I'm taking the weekend to head down with two friends Laguna Seca for the Monterey Historic races. What do you guys think, should I just take the Jetta, cram four adults in it, and shuttle back and forth between Mill Valley-ish and Laguna Seca - or should I Turo-rent a AMG E 63 4MATIC S-Model for the weekend? (Also feel free to suggest other even more outlandish cars for rental).
Can't help with to and from Seca, but if you're staying in San Fran, just transit everywhere in that area. even if you have a car. Traffic and parking is a bitch.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nebakenezzer posted:

It could be worse. 1993. Start of the mid 90s depression. Feburary. And you fox-body Thunderbird's rust is terminal. So you gotta buy from Jerry, and escape this disappearing land...

1986 ramcharger for $3K. If it were still around and not a pile of iron oxide HAHAHAHA it might have actually appreciated.

Had to go out of town today and was listening to the Muller testimony so got drive-thru, which was a KFC Big Crunch. I haven't had one in ages and wasn't shockingly swimming in grease. Ate it, about to hit the road to come home 2 hours later. Was hot day and had a couple hours behind the wheel imminent and a little munchy, pulled through the drive DQ drive-thru and ordered a large blizzard.

I think I had the calories for the rest of the month in that 3 hours. And that was what I've eaten for all day. Jesus christ, I'm a literal child.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tremek posted:

Replacing stuff chat:

I need to replace my nice Viair portable 12v air compressor that met its untimely end in the garage fire. It put up with a lot of abuse and always was a trooper, but it was a bit slow. I think mine was the 300P model.

I really don't need 100% duty cycle for my use (car tires, bike tires, and refilling the 33-35" tires of my ~*~offroad vehicles~*~ when coming back off a trail) - per Viair's site I suspect it was capable of less than 2 CFM however. I also had a twin ARB under-hood unit in the garage that's also gone now, and while that will be good for airing up on the Land Cruiser once I also replace that, I really enjoyed the versatility of being able to drop the 300P onto any 12v battery and fill up.

Is there another brand/model you guys also think I should be looking at? Call it a up-to $500 budget for a kickass portable.

Edit: the 440P looks like their highest-volume portable at 3.0 CFM at 0 PSI...

How about something like this?
https://www.milwaukeetool.ca/Products/Power-Tools/Specialty-Tools/2475-21XC

With a 12V adapter you can charge it up on the road too and takes standard M12 Milwaukee batteries.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tremek posted:

Probably not fire related, but they think overnight he had a rupture in his bladder or urethra, possibly from a bladder stone that didn’t show up on xrays last week (I got him into the vet last week because it looked like he was peeing slowly) - and his kidneys couldn’t take it. ER Doc this AM advised he had a poor prognosis of recovery and we were looking at $15k in surgeries to even try. Poor baby wasn’t even 2 years old. Happily chase those bunnies wherever you are, Teddy.

Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear this.

T-Square posted:

I'm loving done with this country.
This is just such a :smithicide: for me. US healthcare, even apparently when insured, is just so hosed up I can't wrap my head around it.

July - just end already.