Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So sorry Tremek for your loss, thankful family is OK as that is what really matters above all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This will sound dumb and I know I could google it but can you swap a light fixture for a ceiling fan without doing anything above in the attic? Would like to put fans in my girls’ rooms. But my attic is very hard to get into and after the great raccoon wars of 2018 I’m not planning on going back up there in this heat.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My house was built 1960 and I am still on the original screw in glass fuses...

And while we’re at it, had a closet converted into a half bath a few years ago and the exhaust fan installed (was new broan) squeals like a banshee when turned on for a few minutes. Would I need to go into the attic to swap this?

I have a feeling I am going to end up in the attic one way or the other!

Thank you for all the info guys

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That sounds good, will take a. Rack at trying to get the cover off tomorrow

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Monitor chat: is 43" too big?

I am setting up a home office again, and I have a dozen monitors or more here at my shop I could take home (run a small computer store). But I also have a Samsung commecial grade 43" TV that my uncle had won in a sales contest before he passed away. It is new in the box. I have no need for it at home as far as TV's go, but would like to utilize it instead of selling it since it was really the only thing of value he had. But I am worried it is just too big or text won't be clear, etc...

Thoughts?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

How old is the 43"? What's the resolution?

It's a Samsung 1080 2019 Commercial Grade TV (meant for displays or hotel use, restaurants etc...)

I don't really want to use it as a monitor but I hate for it to just sit here. I use a 23" touchscreen monitor at work and I find it ideal, but I sit close to it. My desk for my office at home is MASSIVE so I could set the monitor a few feet away at least if I did use the 43"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

For me, resolution is much more important than size with a monitor. I've got a 4k display on my 17" laptop and the difference going from 1440 to 4k was huge. 1080 for a monitor would hurt my eyes.

I don't have anything above 1080 so I wouldn't mind that, I don't really want to open this TV box just to find the text is blurry though. Not sure what to do.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A thing happened to me last night at about 2am

Drunk driver ran a red light. I lucked out, only a few broken ribs and feeling really beat up. Seat belt saved my life, wear your seat belts kidos.

drat man! Glad u semi-ok!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey I actually bought something because of a Facebook ad last night! AAA has Plus membership (4 free 100 mile tows plus $150 locksmith) for the normal membership price $67 until tomorrow. I actually didn’t renew AAA past 2 years first time in 15 years but now that I have a rolling fleet of 6-10 Japanese imports at a time figured this might come in ha day.

Also won this one last night:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey the AAA deal is still good the rest of today (17th)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I see more vehicles with stratospheric miles among Mitsubishi’s and Isuzu’s when browsing Japanese auctions

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Can you not poo poo at your house when the power is out?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow seriously did not know that! Lucky here if power does go out water keeps running and at least you can poop as much as you want.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Had no idea I was one of the pooping elite. I’ll tell my kids next time they complain about something.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No, but it’s a more comfy Toyota. If you like it then it will be super reliable and decent mileage. Or you could buy a dirt cheap corolla.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t know what it is I have some mental block that a corvette just isn’t desirable, on paper this should be making me salivate I don’t know what it is, this is for all corvettes in general. I have a neighbor old guy who is a corvette collector and I need to go down and hang out and I don’t I have no explanation.

Anyone use Google Fi or have good or bad to say about it?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Good to know, the international stuff seems really attractive but in reality I can’t imagine I’ll be overseas more than 2-3 weeks in the next year but who knows. Will check the t mobile maps might be a deal breaker around here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It’s probably not possible but would google do with the bill cap or an unlimited plan somewhere somehow replace internet at home? All I use is Netflix and similar for the kids and I am setting up a home office again for eBay/car sales etc... that would be ideal I pay $75 a month for just internet through spectrum

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Excellent info! May try it out and if it can handle my data needs at home go from there. Thanks!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slam flanders posted:

Long time lurker looking for a heads-up. Have my daily driver all sorted out, but didn't know what is best to look for in a vehicle for long-hauls. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a vehicle I may be taking on 7 hour drives to get pussy? Could be in all seasons and since I am in Colorado, it could be in any direction/climate. Any help is appreciated, boys!

You can get a low mile Viper for 25 these days, but if it’s like most girls I know they’d be more impressed with a SUV. But I’d totally go to Applebee’s all day long with you if you get a viper.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At the beach this week and I took the kids to Winn Dixie and let em pick ice cream. They picked Reese’s breyers and that was like $6.99 and they don’t even like peanut butter. Don’t tell them but that poo poo was fire. I’d pay $20 for it again.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As far as selling cars might as well forget Craigslist, I am not even going to waste my time. Nothing but scam emails and texts.

So far eBay has been successful but now they are charging me $50 a pop to list a vehicle. Sold one van through Facebook marketplace locally. I have surprisingly had a few decent real responses from listing on Cars.com and that is free, but not a sale yet.

Also out of any foods weirdly I just don't like Coconut. Just is gross to me. But I can't really think of anything else that bothers me.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah it is pretty universal, and such a rare treat to find a non lying scum of the earth dealer. It is ridiculous how hard they make it for someone knowledgeable to give them money.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very sorry to hear Tremek.

I just discovered this morning that if you screenshot your iphone while connected by carplay it also takes a pic of the car display. Was snapping some shots of some email documents before work today and found that. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I haven’t bought one in a few months but at least spend 5 minutes looking for an Advance coupon I’ve scored some batteries for like $80 with them. Japanese cars sitting for months at port then 2 months on boat can kill some weak batteries.