Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

how do people call him Edelgard and not the easier to say Edgelard

Everybody misread her name as edgelord gpr months after the initial trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The 7th Guest posted:

Edelgard is a she

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The 7th Guest posted:

her you doofus

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

Can't believe VG would let this happened, shoddy mod performance imo

she said, her forlorn thread languishing at the edges of the forum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

she said, her forlorn thread languishing at the edges of the forum

I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Isn't she technically an edgelady

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

her you doofus
i dont know who any of the characters are!!!! i still havent played fates or echoes yet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think I even saw anybody talk about the fire emblem game that got released between fates and three houses. Was it that bad or am I just blind?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think I even saw anybody talk about the fire emblem game that got released between fates and three houses. Was it that bad or am I just blind?

There wasn't one unless you mean the mobile game

E: oh wait yes there was lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

It was always intended as a low-budget filler game between main releases so there wasn't a big marketing push

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Awesome Animals posted:

Generally FIFA will release a demo 2-4 weeks before release. It will feel like a huge upgrade, and then the game will come out and feel like rear end. Everyone will say wait for the first patch that comes out a month or so after release.

I've been reminded that I have it backwards. The game comes out feeling great, and then the patch hits and it plays like rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taintrunner posted:

I would read books about videogames

Racing the beam is super good

https://www.amazon.com/Racing-Beam-Computer-Platform-Studies/dp/026201257X

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

it's an awkward game because it's more like shining force/arc the lad in its campaign mode style, and the encounters are not as well-designed as a result

i only got a couple hours into echoes. haven't even touched fates yet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I have a weird hypothetical for the thread but since we're getting a new one tomorrow I'm gonna save it to maximize the amount of attention I receive.

So instead, this thought: I really like first person dungeon crawlers for a few reasons, but one is that more than any other type of game they can give a sense of depth, or of distance. A lot of games want you to feel like you're exploring a 'frontier' or are far from safety, but I think this genre does it best. This may be partially due to that, along with roguelikes, it's the only genre I can think of off the top of my head where the fans expect the games to be a bit more cruel to the player than average. The event into hard encounter that's likely to send game over you in Etrian Odyssey games, for example. The only game I can think of outside of this that did it well was the first Dark Souls, when I beat the fire spider woman and arrived at the demon ruins I did feel a distinct sense of being deep in the world, and far from home. Honestly the high point of that game for me.

Anyone else feel this way, or otherwise what genres capture a certain something for you that you can't get elsewhere.

If you want to read LitRPG I'm not your dad but I don't see what you could take away that wouldn't be better served by either playing a game or reading a book. At first I thought there was almost a mystery novel draw where if you paid attention you could "solve" the game before the book characters but from the bits I've seen I didn't get the impression that was the case

I mean, Dark Souls is itself built on King's Field which is a first person dungeon crawler, so you're still basically right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I remember reading CYOA books with RPG stat tables back in the mid-90s, I don't think it's a particularly new invention.

Yeah, I'm a huge huge nerd so I collect CYOA books of various types, and there's a lot of them that were basically single player D&D but its just such a tiny niche that almost nobody has heard of them.

The biggest RPG CYOA were the Lone Wolf series, which I adored as a child. I've since gotten more of them, as well as many other series. Definitely reaches back even before the 90s.

Rarity posted:

Lone Wolf came out in the 80s even :shrug:

Bingo

And there was Fighting Fantasy before that, which had very few stats but still, it had stats. 1982. And there were probably some before then.

Lone wolf was '84. I wonder when my LOTR gamebooks were published...

al-azad posted:

IMO the biggest appeal of those CYOA books has always been the art which is why e.g. Fighting Fantasy always sought after cult underground artists or dudes who would be discovered by Games Workshop through their CYOA art. I probably own five copies of Firetop Mountain because Russ Nicholson's work is some grungy rear end 80s fantasy.

I generally disagree, the story and the rules are what matters. There's a ton of CYOA with few or no pictures.
But I will say I adore the unique dark art that is in all of the Lone Wolf books, so you're not entirely wrong.

This stuff is mega rad!
But most of the pages did not have art, even in Lone Wolf.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 31, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

I haven't played doom 1 since we stopped using dos, but holy poo poo is the game still thrilling, even on the switch. Trying to find all the secrets and understanding how to use weapons efficiently now have turned the game into a whole new experience. Just paused and realized I'd been holding my breath while playing.

It really is still amazing. You gotta join the Doom Book Club thread dude! :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My life for a new camelot shining force game

Zaphod42 posted:

Bingo

And there was Fighting Fantasy before that, which had very few stats but still, it had stats. 1982. And there were probably some before then.

Lone wolf was '84. I wonder when my LOTR gamebooks were published...

Yeah but I thought the issue was a person or 2 confusing CYOAs & CYOA RPGs with LitRPGs since the first 2 are interactive and the last is not interactive at all and just has numbers and other gaming mechanics tossed in in order to act as a crutch and explanation for power differences and to give a more concrete measurement of improvement of a character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't she technically an edgelady

edgelass

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah but I thought the issue was a person or 2 confusing CYOAs & CYOA RPGs with LitRPGs since the first 2 are interactive and the last is not interactive at all and just has numbers and other gaming mechanics tossed in in order to act as a crutch and explanation for power differences and to give a more concrete measurement of improvement of a character.

Yeah I've actually never heard of LitRPG before, I was just responding to the CYOA derail. That stuff sounds pretty weird.

LitRPG sounds like Sword Art Online? Where its a show about a game but not actually a game you can play, you just watch the people play it. Is that about right?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I've actually never heard of LitRPG before, I was just responding to the CYOA derail. That stuff sounds pretty weird.

I imagine it works in certain contexts, but a lot of times I've read or seen something like that it just comes across as "and then I attacked the enemy and because my level is 18 and the enemy is level 12 it was very easy to destroy them with my extremely powerful sword attacks that have been buffed by my level 10 sword mastery skill and my level 6 weapon mastery skill and my equipped sword being a +3 to attacks lightning blade"

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'll be honest, I can't imagine a context where it works.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shadows of Valentia looks cool to me I'm gonna play it some day

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I imagine it works in certain contexts, but a lot of times I've read or seen something like that it just comes across as "and then I attacked the enemy and because my level is 18 and the enemy is level 12 it was very easy to destroy them with my extremely powerful sword attacks that have been buffed by my level 10 sword mastery skill and my level 6 weapon mastery skill and my equipped sword being a +3 to attacks lightning blade"

Yeah.. I don't get that. The only way that even remotely makes sense to me is as some kind of extremely weird toxic power fantasy where you've played so many videogames but your life is also so meaningless and pathetic that the only way you can feel powerful is to say that you're higher level than other people.

I mean if anything wouldn't the better story be to make you the underdog? Like "oh no this boss is level 20 and I'm only level 15 my sword does like zero damage! How will our hero triumph?! Ah but I am cool and clever and I trip the boss and he falls into a death pit and dies even though I can't do damage to him and since I'm 5 levels lower I get tons of bonus XP because of how clever I was" or something??

Weird. Werid stuff. Weird internet we have here :cheeky:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

My life for a new camelot shining force game
I wouldn't mind another shining force neo/exa game because those were the strongest non-Falcom diablolikes to come out of japan, even though they obviously had no connection to the shining force brand whatsover outside of name. gotta start exa soon, neo was so good

actually maybe i shouldn't do another super long game after i played two ridiculously long games this month (time at portia, DQB2)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

Fate/Stay Night has stat pages for the characters but the text almost never references it. The closest it ever gets is stuff like "this character is good against this character because of <stat-related reason>" but then the actual fight is described like a sane person

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Fate/Stay Night has stat pages for the characters but the text almost never references it. The closest it ever gets is stuff like "this character is good against this character because of <stat-related reason>" but then the actual fight is described like a sane person

I've been wanting fiction to do something like this for awhile. On the one hand, I think if you had an author who actually came up with stats, and maybe even did like a roleplaying battle simulation rather than just pre-determining the events, that would actually make for more organic storytelling? Like how GRRM focuses on "gardening" his characters, rather than puppeting them towards some pre-conceived ending?

And on the other hand, I think fiction that tied in with roleplaying would by smart vertical integration. Like the Stranger Things D&D box set. Imagine if you had a TV show like Game of Thrones, and every week you could download a D&D adventure and play through what happened on the show, but with your own characters and decisions? The show would provide stats for the NPCs so you could try fighting bosses that the show characters couldn't beat or whatever. "The Night King is a level 20 lich with ..." yadda yadda.

But actually having the story itself reference stats is some weird metagaming. That's like... a bad thing. Even when you're playing D&D you're not supposed to be like "Hey my character has 18 CON so I'll do the dangerous thing" like no, you're supposed to be like "I'm the hardiest of the party members! Forsooth!" or whatever the gently caress.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's not a new thing at all, people have been writing that kind of book for a long time

May 8, 2006

I see what you're getting at but IMO these things all would lead to bad stories.

I can't speak to what Fate/Stay Night does, I've never read/seen it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah.. I don't get that. The only way that even remotely makes sense to me is as some kind of extremely weird toxic power fantasy where you've played so many videogames but your life is also so meaningless and pathetic that the only way you can feel powerful is to say that you're higher level than other people.

I mean if anything wouldn't the better story be to make you the underdog? Like "oh no this boss is level 20 and I'm only level 15 my sword does like zero damage! How will our hero triumph?! Ah but I am cool and clever and I trip the boss and he falls into a death pit and dies even though I can't do damage to him and since I'm 5 levels lower I get tons of bonus XP because of how clever I was" or something??

Weird. Werid stuff. Weird internet we have here :cheeky:

It works a bit for that one manga that's about the girl that reincarnates as just a spider in a video game labyrinth. She used to be an mmorpg-obsessed person so she starts trying to metagame and in the process ends up having to use her skills in ways that will let her win even when she's just a small spider relative to the size of a dragon. It doesn't always work there though because there are plenty of times where it boils down to "I got a cheat skill that helps" or "I got a skill that basically trivializes this" or "I leveled up off-panel and spent points on some skills and I leveled up my different abilities through practice but you didn't know that until I told you just now."

Meanwhile, back in 2010, this book came out

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Was gonna do a Vice City replay but rented Stranglehold and now I am stuck to it like flies on poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ulililia's stuff just seems like the product of mental health issues so I don't think there's much to be gained from mocking it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Ulililia's stuff just seems like the product of mental health issues so I don't think there's much to be gained from mocking it.

I'm not mocking it so much as I am pointing it at it and going "this is interesting, not good, but interesting."

And for comparison, here are some pages from the spider manga

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Less boring words and more spider manga

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

I had to join the breakfast club black eagles the moment I went through their roster then saw that Dorothea listed herself among her dislikes. I will never let you go Dorothea. No for real your healing ability is insane.

I am leaning towards the Golden Deer because of the one character whose storyline is worrying about paying her student loan debt after she graduates

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Holy poo poo The Church In The Darkness is straight up Jonestown The Game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Remember if it's individual characters you're basing your choice on and it's not the house leaders and their second-in commands you can poach just about every student onto whichever house you pick as long as you have a B-Rank Support relationship with them and/or high enough skills.

Now I'll be disappointed if that AAA Harry Potter game from Warner Bros doesn't let you do that once you become head boy/girl of your house.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh that's good to know.

People are saying that with how different each storyline is that it might be one of those cases of there being enough there to do 3-4 playthroughs?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

tired: McDonald's alignment chart
wired:
https://twitter.com/IanWhyNot/status/1156385852789907456

The sports games seem to not really do preview season like other games since it's very incremental stuff and they rely on their core audience I think. This article has a bunch of stuff though
https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/gaming/432749/fifa-20-cover-star-release-date-demo/

That was a shitload of words and not a single one mentioned women's teams in any way. Based on what I could find on EA's website it looks like Volta is the new hotness so I am guessing that expanding women's league options is taking a backseat to their new street soccer crap. At a time when women's soccer has never been more popular. I was thinking after the female story character mentioned the idea of going pro in 19, it was a hint that they would add in a women's pro league (specifically the NWSL) in 20, but apparently not. Bummer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

USSF might have sandbagged any NWSL licensing deal with EA in order to goose the revenue numbers for the equal pay legal battle :ohdear:

NWSL/Women's Champions League would own and I would definitely do the career mode if they had that option

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Playing through Symphony of the Night now and I audibly laughed when you kill an Owl Knights owl and they just walk over to the corpse and have a moment of silence before resuming fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

did the character designer change from the 3ds games?