Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

In complete ridiculousness I'm starting to get anxious about my to-play pile running out even though I've still got 8 games to get through and even though the only negative consequence of running out is me having to wait a couple of days for a new game to come in the post. I think I have issues :sigh:

I hear Steam has some games on sale this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Steve2911 posted:

I hear Steam has some games on sale this week.

I've already spent my games budget for the month, I just blew most of it on a Wii Classic controller instead of actual games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It still annoys me to no end that Quicksilver doesn't seem to be in Ultimate Alliance 3

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1145629709570584581?s=09

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yes yes yes Alan Wake 2 now please and thank you, I need more games that bring that Stephen King vibe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tell me why Alan Wake is good, it flew under my radar

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

It's another Deadly Premoniton/Asura's Wrath type of deal, where the actual gameplay is mediocre or even bad but the presentation knocks it right out of the park.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AwUAr-jPo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

at one point you fight a shadow doppelgänger named Alan Fake and alan lands a haymaker and it crumbles and he looks down and says “Alan Break”

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I need to replay Asura's Wrath but I don't want to drag out my PS3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve Yun posted:

It's another video game shamelessly indebted to Twin Peaks, and any game based off of Twin Peaks cannot possibly be bad.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Happy Canada Day. I am celebrating it by working in America and hopefully playing some Cadence of Hyrule later on.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I might have a bowl of strawberries with maple syrup on them too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Imagine thinking there are other games than Shadowbringers right now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have a vivid imagination.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's Shadowbringers

is that one of those gat-chaws

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Final Fantasy The Fourteenth the Realm Reborn Turned Heavensward from the Storm of Blood of the Shadowbringers

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Excellent, next take Max Payne back and make a third good Max Payne game

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
This week I'm going to work even less than usual and play some games.

What's a good game to play to really celebrate this holiday? I'm keeping it a little vague in case there's a real baller title out there about Canada's independence, like a forgotten Assassin's Creed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

animal crossing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unironically owned this for Sega Saturn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks to the sale and swapping game carts I'm currently playing:

- Super Nobody Odyssey
- Zelda Breath of the Wild lol I will never get back to the last three quarters of this with ganon dead
- Kirby kirby kirby
- BallisticNG (hell yeah og wipeout)
- Marble It Up (a bad name for a Marble Blast game but whatever)
- Pathologic 2 (gently caress, poo poo, gently caress, god drat it)
- Flipping Death
- Thirty Flights of Loving
- Smash
- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)
- Momodora (a little easy but fun)
- Bloodstained
- Destiny 2
- Warframe this looks and feels p bad on Switch tbh
- EDF 5
- Vermintide 2
- Risk of Rain 2
- Ace Combat 7
- Hitman 2
- Battletech

Vidyas. Too many vidyas.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 1, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axelblaze posted:

It's July so it's time to stay cool and play some video games. Will this be a month of new cool games or a month of catching up well

Less catching up and more Mario Maker is the game I'm playing for the rest of the year, sorry if you released a game after it devs, glad I finished Bloodstained in time.

Rarity posted:

Oh well, gonna play Lost Odyssey I guess

heck :yeah:

VideoGames posted:

I am so happy they took everything great about the first and said "Hey we should add tons more to it and make it even more fun!" and they did!

Well, except for the bookmark site. Would have been nice not to have to type out hundreds of codes to play goon levels.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
The Witcher 3 has too much content. i've put like over 50 hours into this game so far and i'm just now getting to the triss plotline in novigrad! good grief!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

will the story make sense if i haven’t played the first mario maker

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

oddium posted:

will the story make sense if i haven’t played the first mario maker

Read the wiki or watch a longplay, some of the politicking with peach and bowser gets pretty complicated

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Well, except for the bookmark site. Would have been nice not to have to type out hundreds of codes to play goon levels.

What is the bookmark site?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

VideoGames posted:

What is the bookmark site?

From Mario Maker 1, it was (or well, is, it's still up and usable) a website that let you bookmark levels you find there so that you could just load them all up in a tab in the game itself and not have to type in codes. Not too long after they added that to the first game somebody made a Firefox and Chrome add-on that would automatically notice Mario Maker level codes and add a little + next to it that as long as you were logged into the bookmark website would just add the level to your list when you clicked the +, it was super convenient and it's just... not available for the second game.

Having to enter all the codes by hand means I'm only up to 166 out of the 250+ that are on the spreadsheet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Phantasium posted:

From Mario Maker 1, it was (or well, is, it's still up and usable) a website that let you bookmark levels you find there so that you could just load them all up in a tab in the game itself and not have to type in codes. Not too long after they added that to the first game somebody made a Firefox and Chrome add-on that would automatically notice Mario Maker level codes and add a little + next to it that as long as you were logged into the bookmark website would just add the level to your list when you clicked the +, it was super convenient and it's just... not available for the second game.

Having to enter all the codes by hand means I'm only up to 166 out of the 250+ that are on the spreadsheet.

Oh that is very neat! Maybe they will bring it back. They did bring back miiverse for SMM2 :D

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Still gonna be playing Bloodstained and might play it again soon after I finish it; I love it

Also got thru a roadblock boss in my Persona 3 FES playthrough and feel like I'm close to the end so I might finish that off as well

Also interested in Mario Maker 2 after completely missing out on the first one

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Did anyone here play Tiny Metal? I saw that a sequel is being released this month, and iirc, Tiny Metal released pretty barebones, and I ended up not playing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks to the sale and swapping game carts I'm currently playing:

- BallisticNG (hell yeah og wipeout)

I am very happy that more people are finding BallisticNG lately, it's probably the best of the modern future racing games largely due to literally just trying to be Wipeout and nailing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I beat Bloodstained w/ 100% map and demons beaten (so basically just missing some items and shards).

The bad:
-It definitely feels unpolished in parts, whether visually or how janky it is at times. For me this usually was just the Detective Eye's visual cone turning on/off seemingly randomly and the game being very inconsistent about item drops being picked up (you'd pick them up but not get the notification for it until you left the room). On PC I did not have any significant frame drop issues but I know that is a common complaint on some parts. The port situation on the Switch is very unfortunate.
-Having to deal with both grade and rank on a shard was a step too far in terms of grind. And in the first place it's often extremely unclear what additional grade even does for some shards.
-I'd either get rid of the alkahest requirement for dismantling stuff, dramatically reduce the cost, or make alkahest drops WAY more common. A lot of my endgame grinding was killing that ghost in the desert over and over again to max out my alkahest stores and it was annoying.

The somewhere in the middle:
-It is trivial to arrive at a loadout that makes the game, well, trivial. But that's so common to IGAvanias I'm not sure I'd call that a negative and in a sense it's fun to me to be able just lay waste to the castle after a point.

The good:
-Just about everything in the game feels great. The controls are tight and you have so many options at your disposal to deal with stuff. While it is likely you will gravitate towards a few specific kinds of weapons and shards the game gives you plenty of time and options to figure out what you prefer. I came to like the whips with their large hitbox and fast delivery (especially with upgraded shards).
-Despite the game being easy to break I still died quite a lot. For the most part I didn't have too much trouble with bosses after the first couple but the castle still weirdly presents its own challenge where the risk & reward of getting to the next save or warp point is often just enough that you can get worn down way more quickly than you'd expect.
-Castle is big (though not, the "biggest IGA castle ever" that I feel we were promised) and the paths available to you and the abilities to navigate it all feel strongly designed.
-In general I just had a ton of fun and the game proved to me that while there have been many games of this style since Order of Ecclesia, there is something that IGA's specifically bring to the table that others don't and reiterates my feeling that the video game world is better if the man is able to release something along these lines every couple of years to fill that niche.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In honor of the thread tag (no I will not timg this glorious image):

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

njsykora posted:

I am very happy that more people are finding BallisticNG lately, it's probably the best of the modern future racing games largely due to literally just trying to be Wipeout and nailing it.

I said it before but as much as I enjoyed Wipeout Omega, BallisticNG is exactly what I wanted instead, down to the graphical and musical style. I think the only thing I don't like is how you can't turn 180 degrees in the Eliminator mode to attack so you either just hit the brakes or lap forever. The filter to make it look like N64/PS1 is amazing though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

In honor of the thread tag (no I will not timg this glorious image):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcwuEVnMUvM

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

and the game being very inconsistent about item drops being picked up (you'd pick them up but not get the notification for it until you left the room)

fyi this happens when the item gets stuck in geometry, I'm imagining you didn't actually pick it up it just got stuck and added to your inventory after you left the room.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I finished JUDGMENT over the weekend and it was incredibly good, one of the best games in the Yakuza series. It's not a huge change from previous games but they did a couple of things to make you feel more vulnerable and it just makes everything more intense and fun. Every character rules. I love this series so much and we get a new, generous, extremely good game from it every year it's so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
happy july, aka the best month

I'm not very good at the building side of games like terraria or mario maker but I'm working on a haunted old block museum level and i hope it turns out alright