Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think I might give up on Spiderman - I haven't played a ton of it, and like tons of people have said swinging around is pretty fun, but every other activity is uninteresting open world generica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
After years of playing Skyrim with mods and then a chunk of time not playing it at all, I picked up the Switch version on sale. So now I'm back to Vanilla. I realized I'm in a rut. My default move is to just follow the main story and go back to Whiterun and play from there, but I've seen all that. There's tons and tons of places to go. So I'm looking for advice. Are there any parts of the main line I really should do to unlock key abilities? What should I go next instead? I've done the Mages guild and the Thieves guild and The Companions to death.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Important Miku news!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1145714300385935360

It's a compilation title with 101 songs which means it'll probably be a good place to jump in if you're new to Project Diva. It does mean you don't have many reasons to get it if you have Future Tone for PS4 (that was a compilation with 220 songs it's so many) especially because they're gonna port the new songs to FT as DLC. That said it's still pretty hype it's a really good series.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I dropped Spiderman after like 6 or 7 hours (And RDR2 in like 10 so I think I'm done with open world games until BotW2)

people keep saying the new assassin's creeds are good but I won't let them trick me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

thank you, miku

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I dropped Spiderman after like 6 or 7 hours (And RDR2 in like 10 so I think I'm done with open world games until BotW2)

people keep saying the new assassin's creeds are good but I won't let them trick me

What I like about Assassin's Creed Origins & Odyssey is that they are both very action focused. They don't get bogged down by having side activities like fishing, mini-games, hunting mechanics, etc. This makes them arguably more shallow, but as a result these two games are laser focused on stealth, and murder, or just murder if that is your thing, stealth is never required. Both games also do away with trailing enemies and forced stealth sections that made the previous Assassin Creed games frustrating.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
I thought odyssey sucked and was repetitive, glitchy trash imo

i liked origins a lot though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think I might give up on Spiderman - I haven't played a ton of it, and like tons of people have said swinging around is pretty fun, but every other activity is uninteresting open world generica.

I kinda feel the same way. Like there's nothing overtly wrong with the game, it's obviously well put-together and everything has a high production value, but the world kind of dumps all these dull uninteresting mini-games on you all the time instead of blending them into the story, which is also very slow to get moving.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Help Im Alive posted:

but I won't let them trick me
Stick to this.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I said come in! posted:

What I like about Assassin's Creed Origins & Odyssey is that they are both very action focused. They don't get bogged down by having side activities like fishing, mini-games, hunting mechanics, etc. This makes them arguably more shallow, but as a result these two games are laser focused on stealth, and murder, or just murder if that is your thing, stealth is never required. Both games also do away with trailing enemies and forced stealth sections that made the previous Assassin Creed games frustrating.

I like the stealth in the new ones because its less sneaking around picking targets and more loving up one particular area, preferably killing a notable foe, and then scrambling out of the way of the reinforcements and loving up another less guarded segment. More like a one person guerrilla.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Samuringa posted:

I like the stealth in the new ones because its less sneaking around picking targets and more loving up one particular area, preferably killing a notable foe, and then scrambling out of the way of the reinforcements and loving up another less guarded segment. More like a one person guerrilla.

You can play the old ones like that too lol. I was kinda shocked that people think Origins & Odyssey are so different cause they really aren't, it's really just the loot mechanics and combat feel, stealth is the same.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only AC games I remember liking a lot were AC2 which is probably now a product of its time, and AC4 which was the first one to almost get away from the boring story poo poo and put you in the role of a cool pirateman. I was sad that there's been zero news on the Skull and Bones game though. I played quite a bit of Origins until the RPG aspect killed my enthusiasm because having enemies with "levels" is a bad change.

Anything AC does in terms of "assassination" though, Dishonored 1+2/Mark of the Ninja/Hitman does better in some way and nowadays being a stealthy "assassin" is barely a part of the games. The latest one has you play as a legionnaire for gently caress's sake, how much farther can you get from the secret ninja stalking of the original premise. Like just make a non-AC titled game, get rid of the Animus poo poo, nobody can really be that attached to the AC name.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am not playing another AC game until the mechanics are just radically different

I've been down on open world games as a gut reflex for quite a while now since they seem so stuffed with time-wasting bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Black Flag I remember stacking mountains of Spanish Navy corpses since every guard would just wander one at a time to the exact spot where the last guy died.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am not playing another AC game until the mechanics are just radically different

I've been down on open world games as a gut reflex for quite a while now since they seem so stuffed with time-wasting bullshit

the only open world that accurately earns the drudgery of things you need to do is Mad Max which drops you into a literal wasteland of despair, dark hellscape dungeons, and brutalistic encounters.

exquisite tea posted:

In Black Flag I remember stacking mountains of Spanish Navy corpses since every guard would just wander one at a time to the exact spot where the last guy died.

Yeah I think Origins was the first game where the combat/AI wasn't completely dogbrained. It was pretty funny how AC4 gave you a pistol and let you break fights with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really dislike that there are enemies in the latest games that are LEVEL GATED and if you are too low not only can you barely hurt them in combat, but they will frickin survive an assassination

It also leads to situations where, obviously there are enemies that are clearly to be avoided but other fights where you're almost close enough in level that you might as well fight it out but it's a slog and takes forever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DLC Inc posted:

I was sad that there's been zero news on the Skull and Bones game though.

From E3, they decided it wasn't turning out well and rebooted it. I wouldn't expect an update for a while.

quote:

Anything AC does in terms of "assassination" though, Dishonored 1+2/Mark of the Ninja/Hitman does better in some way and nowadays being a stealthy "assassin" is barely a part of the games. The latest one has you play as a legionnaire for gently caress's sake, how much farther can you get from the secret ninja stalking of the original premise. Like just make a non-AC titled game, get rid of the Animus poo poo, nobody can really be that attached to the AC name.

Nowadays? "Assassin" has meant "action hero except in an old timey place" since midway through the Ezio games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ezio snapping his fingers and then suddenly four soldiers get murked from the shadows is far more "assassin-like" than "slash slash block, slash slash block, use special attack on cool down, repeat 20x to kill one guy"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
origins might be one of the worst games i've ever played, and consequently one of the few that i never bothered with for more than 2-3 hours

every single part of it, from graphics to sound design to movement to combat, was a disaster

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

yea the only reason to play origins/odyssey is if you want to completely turn your brain off

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just flashing back to my time with AC2 I remember partway through the game they start introducing different special enemy types- one was a bigass heavy armor dude, one was a fast guy who had the superpower of actually following you when you climbed a building or something to escape, and the last type had a spear and would crudely like poke around in piles of hay to make sure you weren't hiding in there

It never went well for him even if he managed to find you since I feel like you were nigh invincible in combat in that game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I started playing Dungeon Fighter Online again, decided I was gonna play as a female brawler. I really like the difference in subclasses in this game from both aesthetic, gameplay, and lore perspectives. The brawler subclass' whole story is basically just the female fighter deciding she wasn't happy with the standard martial arts training of being respectful and calm so instead she started learning lots of dirty tricks like hiding bombs in her gloves, carrying sand in her pocket, coating her weapon in poison, drinking poison until she became immune to it, carrying a brick around to smack people in the face with it, throwing nets, columns, wagon wheels, and just beating the gently caress out of people with whatever other dirty trick she can think of.

I like her official first awakening art too.

Not as much of a fan of her official second awakening artwork though

I'm thinking I might try streaming it since I'm not gonna be streaming over wi-fi anymore so the streams will be more stable. Might be fun, might be boring, meh, no matter.

How's everyone doing today? I'm feeling bleh because of nightmares kicking my rear end more than usual lately but other than that and general fatigue I'm doing alright enough I guess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just flashing back to my time with AC2 I remember partway through the game they start introducing different special enemy types- one was a bigass heavy armor dude, one was a fast guy who had the superpower of actually following you when you climbed a building or something to escape, and the last type had a spear and would crudely like poke around in piles of hay to make sure you weren't hiding in there

It never went well for him even if he managed to find you since I feel like you were nigh invincible in combat in that game

wait I thought we were discussing Spiderman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1145738838159056896

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I didn't know that Luke Cage had the power of the moonwalk. Is that canon?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not gonna lie I hope Luke Cage just doesn't give a poo poo in the game and moonwalks around big battles constantly. gently caress I'd put him in my team immediately lol

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1145769578154405889

Cool!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does that mean shantae is anime

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It exists, so yes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

it means her new hairstyle will be drills

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

Was it ever not

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Phantasium posted:

it means her new hairstyle will be drills

Drill hair powerup. I'll take it!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello Mr. Nintendo,

Super Mario Maker RPG when?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

shantae and the pirate getting married and im here for it

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

raditts posted:

I didn't know that Luke Cage had the power of the moonwalk. Is that canon?

That's the fuckshit build he's running

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lost Odyssey Report #1:

This is a cool game. There's this big giant battle going on and I'm this kinda douchey Squall wannabe and I kick a whole load off rear end until everyone gets squished by a meteor except I survive cause I'm immortal so I go home and there's a girl who also seems to be immortal so I think we're gonna bam chicka wow wow at some point. Also politics is happening! Our nation is at war with another nation who are acting on behalf of an even worse nation and also there's a scheming ruling council cause we had a mad a magic-inspired people's revolution a few decades back. Anyway, turns out one wicked sketchy council dude is responsible for me being immortal but it's not really that big a thing but now they're sending me to look into the source of the meteor and sketchy dude has been kicked off the council until I'm done. Then I went into an inn and had a dream of my past which was really loving sad and it totally got me good :cry: Anyway, the presentation of this game is unbelieveable. The world is detailed and beautiful to an extent matching Mass Effect, the music is gorgeous and while I'm not hooked on the plot yet the world is intriguing me and I want to see more.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As a heads-up don't expect the rest of the game's writing to measure up to the Thousand Years of Dreams segments because it totally doesn't.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a game rcrime that n64 carts don't have the game sticker wrapped over with the title like nes + snes

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lost Odyssey is really good and I am holding out hope for a Switch port because I really don't want to replay it on a 360. The music is really amazing, some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are vessels to be cherished in box on a tasteful shelf of anime figurines, not thrown in an old tub to be browsed edge on