Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive watched that video a bunch this past week.showed my daughter it tonight, she squealed for the entire length of the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't there a veterans group taking over a bunch of poo poo on July 4th, like got the permits when trmup was talking about a big parade? Or was that for veterans day? I somehow remember something like a 5k being organized for one or both of those days.

Have a few people make cardboard tanks and group run the 5k.

Those were probably the two best tanks on Bragg. At least motive long enough to get on a train. Def gonna poo poo everywhere.

There's a vet group handing out McCain T-shirts.

https://www.fundtheshirt.com/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Supposedly they are gonna drag out some LAVs too.

LAVs are Canadian :smug:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

LAVs are Canadian :smug:

Is this like when my Canadian coworkers get all excited about Blackberry being in the news?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Is this like when my Canadian coworkers get all excited about Blackberry being in the news?

No, more that trump says america first and is (maybe) going to display canadian products (that are admittedly filled with american tech)

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1145882939948982272?s=19

Uhh is he saying a good looking general swayed his views on Afghanistan?

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 2, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/06/centcoms-general-mckenzie-steers-trumps-iran-policy/592171/

Might be General McKenzie, as profiled in this The Atlantic piece:

quote:

Since May, Bolton has served as an occasional spokesman for the administration’s Iran policy and is actively helping drive it behind the scenes. But lost in the focus on Bolton’s views was McKenzie’s role in helping shape the current policy. At a time when administration officials insist that they seek not war but diplomacy, America’s Iran policy is being steered to a large extent by the military.

McKenzie fills a vacuum at a moment when the Pentagon’s civilian leadership is either in temporary posts or in chaos, with multiple senior roles filled by acting officials, and one acting defense secretary just swapped out for another. And some see his prominent role as a cause for worry, even as other defense officials reportedly try to tamp down tensions. “He is shaping a public narrative around the Iran threat that is not a normal scenario for a combatant commander,” Kelly Magsamen, who worked with McKenzie as a senior defense official, told me. “I think it’s dangerous because this puts our military leadership in a scenario that’s highly political,” said Magsamen, who is now the vice president for national security and international policy at the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning think tank.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

EBB posted:

I give those tanks about a 75% chance of being broken on parade day.

In the article, I'm almost positive there's a M88A2 Tank Wrecker being transported to DC alongside the tanks. I think they agree with you :laugh:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Uhh is he saying a good looking general swayed his views on Afghanistan?

This one's tough because Trump is obsessed with "central casting", but also ALWAYS lies when he tells any story about someone calling him "Sir". I mean, he always lies anyway, but he always starts the most bullshit stories with a Sir, especially about big, tough men calling him Sir, then crying.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

20-60 nukes

and lift sanctions

bolton is pissed

and in mongolia

Are you loving serious, like I can't find anything substantiating this. If it's true, it needs to be front-page news everywhere.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

MA-Horus posted:

Are you loving serious, like I can't find anything substantiating this. If it's true, it needs to be front-page news everywhere.

Starts around the third paragraph

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/30/world/asia/trump-kim-north-korea-negotiations.html

quote:

SEOUL, South Korea — From a seemingly fanciful tweet to a historic step into North Korean territory, President Trump’s largely improvised third meeting on Sunday with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, was a masterpiece of drama, the kind of made-for-TV spectacle that Mr. Trump treasures.

But for weeks before the meeting, which started as a Twitter offer by the president for Mr. Kim to drop by at the Demilitarized Zone and “say hello,” a real idea has been taking shape inside the Trump administration that officials hope might create a foundation for a new round of negotiations.

The concept would amount to a nuclear freeze, one that essentially enshrines the status quo, and tacitly accepts the North as a nuclear power, something administration officials have often said they would never stand for.

It falls far short of Mr. Trump’s initial vow 30 months ago to solve the North Korea nuclear problem, but it might provide him with a retort to campaign-season critics who say the North Korean dictator has been playing the American president brilliantly by giving him the visuals he craves while holding back on real concessions.

While the approach could stop that arsenal from growing, it would not, at least in the near future, dismantle any existing weapons, variously estimated at 20 to 60. Nor would it limit the North’s missile capability.

The administration still insists in public and in private that its goals remain full denuclearization. But recognizing that its maximalist demand for the near-term surrender of Mr. Kim’s cherished nuclear program is going nowhere, it is weighing a new approach that would begin with a significant — but limited — first step.

American negotiators would seek to expand on Mr. Kim’s offer in Hanoi in February to give up the country’s main nuclear-fuel production site, at Yongbyon, in return for the most onerous sanctions against the country being lifted. Mr. Trump, under pressure from his secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, and his national security adviser, John R. Bolton, rejected that proposal, because so much of the North’s capability now lies outside the vast Yongbyon complex.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No loving way

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm tired of all this winning.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

hahahahahaha holy gently caress. We're the centerpoint of the axis of evil.

Edit: so loving glad I'm out and not a part of this apparatus.

Some of my students said that the military isn't kicking people out for PFA failures as strictly anymore because of huge retention issues with the current administration.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
E: misread nvm

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MA-Horus posted:

The problem is that the administration doesn't know what to do, because Trump doesn't know/care what to do. So, you could report that the administration's goal is total denuclearization, or a simple freeze and Kim gets to keep his poo poo, or total outright war with North Korea. All three are true, at the same time, within the high levels of the administration.

It's absolutely true that all past administrations couldn't figure out the North Korea problem. Trump's approach is to yell in private YOU FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM while bleating about how Kim's love letters means that he's kept the peace.

He doesn't really care that North Korea is still developing their poo poo underground. That's a problem for the next administration.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stravag posted:

I really want to know how much a brand new Sherman would cost top build today for a parade. Atleast like 2-3 mill right because each one would be basically hand built from scratch? It's not lrt ether tooling wasnt scavenged for anything else in the 70 years since we're stopped building them

John Deere or Caterpillar could do it if they had the specs. Probably would have to have a modern engine though. The modern heavy crawlers are the size of a Sherman and go for around $1 million each.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, now Iran knows what to do to normalize relations with the US.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

That's a problem for the next administration.

This is pretty much my read on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's actually my read on everything he does

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I honestly think this is the one good thing trump has done albeit largely on accident. We're not going to invade them, and the situation isn't going to change. Yeah they're led by a loving rear end in a top hat but keeping their population down isn't going to convince them to RISE UP or anything dumb.

We can let them progress and interact with the rest of the world, we can invade a country with nukes and attempt a regime change, or we can keep their populations living conditions low because we don't like their leader

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I honestly think this is the one good thing trump has done albeit largely on accident. We're not going to invade them, and the situation isn't going to change. Yeah they're led by a loving rear end in a top hat but keeping their population down isn't going to convince them to RISE UP or anything dumb.

We can let them progress and interact with the rest of the world, we can invade a country with nukes and attempt a regime change, or we can keep their populations living conditions low because we don't like their leader

Except this does nothing for improving the quality of life for the North Korean population...

That's outside our control, even with the embargos. Trump did nothing but give Kim quick propaganda wins. Nothing more.

Kim is the one keeping them from progressing. Nobody else.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

why do you think they'll be allowed to interact with the rest of the world? It is actively in the best interest of their leaders that this does not happen.
All this has done is solidify the rule of the Kim family for another generation. It's a loving masterstroke by the North Koreans and a strategic failure of immense importance for the US.

The US' most faithful allies in Asia are now under threat of National Death. It was bad enough when Seoul was under the guns of the NK military but now the SK and Japanese governments are being told to live with the threat of nuclear attack. I don't see that going very well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jus what exactly do y'all want to happen with NK

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Trump is just jealous he can't run america the way Kim runs NK

Edit: Kim has to go and they could try to soften things up and south Korea, america etc can loosen sanctions and try and make life better for the average North Korean. That's a good start at least. Everything after that depends on how well that goes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol good luck y'all

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
CNN reporting that democrats are suing the IRS and Treasury Dept over Angry Oranges tax returns, and 14 dead on a Russian research sub

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Proud Christian Mom posted:

That rising temperatures slowly bake it into dust along with the rest of the planet.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syrian Lannister posted:

CNN reporting that democrats are suing the IRS and Treasury Dept over Angry Oranges tax returns, and 14 dead on a Russian research sub

God those tax returns better show he's either broke as poo poo or he actively launders Russian mob money.

We've been fighting for those returns for five goddamn years, it's the Ark of the Covinent.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

BigDave posted:

God those tax returns better show he's either broke as poo poo or he actively launders Russian mob money.

We've been fighting for those returns for five goddamn years, it's the Ark of the Covinent.

They will show that's he really is the one to revalue the Iraqi Dinar. And in a stunning twist, on the last page are Hillary's 30,000 missing emails.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Um, something's up. Edit: or maybe not. Fun!

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1146092421584957440?s=19

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1146063942046773249?s=19

Administration people are backgrounding reporters by saying everything's unrelated, but I don't trust "senior administration officials" as far as I can throw them. Pence *definitely* cancelled a New Hampshire thing, with rumors that Air Force Two was turned around (he might not have been on it).

https://twitter.com/omriceren/status/1146094407055269888?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 2, 2019

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
kursk 2: electrical fire boogaloo

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Somewhere Hyman Rickover is so angry he's fissioning.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

facialimpediment posted:

Um, something's up. Edit: or maybe not. Fun!

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1146092421584957440?s=19

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1146063942046773249?s=19

Administration people are backgrounding reporters by saying everything's unrelated, but I don't trust "senior administration officials" as far as I can throw them. Pence *definitely* cancelled a New Hampshire thing, with rumors that Air Force Two was turned around (he might not have been on it).

https://twitter.com/omriceren/status/1146094407055269888?s=19

is it possible the USN sank a Russian sub surveying the Arctic for oil

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its a committee not a council

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
There were also a few random "sources saying Isreal attack on Iran nuclear facilities likely imminent" reports late last night. Might also be something that would get a few people talking. But, :shrug:.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Something like the Iran Deal, but geared toward denuclearization, would be a start. You know, if we hadn't thrown away any good will we had in the diplomatic community by pulling out of said Iran Deal.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

is it possible the USN sank a Russian sub surveying the Arctic for oil

Absolutely not. Not even by accident.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/sta...agenumber%3D123

They found an M88A2 in good shape for this at least.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

No one is ever giving up nukes again, because it has amply been demonstrated to the world that they're the only effective means of stopping a superpower from deciding to kick your country over and set it on fire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

psydude posted:

Something like the Iran Deal, but geared toward denuclearization, would be a start. You know, if we hadn't thrown away any good will we had in the diplomatic community by pulling out of said Iran Deal.

No one is giving up nukes after what happened to Gaddafi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

No one is giving up nukes after what happened to Gaddafi

Or Ukraine.