Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, having diversity in leadership is good, but having a woman PoC who is a blood gargling psychopath as leader is still bad. Diversity + good politics + ideally a history of executing stuff successfully is ideal.

Also, Obama for a third term. Sigh. Literally this is how you get Trump (but eventually more competent), in addition to all the people dying from lack of insurance and underinsurance, at US hands overseas, and the continued disintegration of the economic well being of the majority of Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, but sometimes that different outlook is from a morkn like Candace Owens who may be a PoC woman, but she advocates the beliefs of "random white dude #7394" or whatever.

That's why you're don't just give everyone a pass, you also have to look at what they do and say.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i miss having a cool president

Me too, man. Me too

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i miss having a cool president

With a beautiful, normal, family.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What does having a vagina or being something other than white have to do with being qualified
for office?

Like... Saying you want a minority female President is as dumb as saying you want a White Male President. Gender and ethnicity should not be anyone’s motivating criteria. The person who is best qualified/has policies you agree with is who you should support. Be they male, female, black, white,whatever.

I know this isn't a groundbreaking epiphany, but I wish more people would share this mindset. The outward appearance of a candidate may provide life experiences that inform their perspectives and world views, but by no means is this guaranteed. You can have lovely female, LGBTQ, and/or PoC in politics–I am sure we can all find examples of any of these.

In selecting a minority candidate, I think in a certain sense there is also a double-edged sword in that any minority candidate who has climbed their way to the establishment stage will have given up their true values in exchange for gaining favors and sucking up to leaders. The degree to which varies, and it can largely be a perception, but take the members of the black community who said Obama was not black enough. How black is Kamala Harris if she's a cop and has professor parents? Or that Julian Castro isn't a fluent Spanish speaker unlike Beto or Booker (ie. is he truly Latino?), when in fact most Latinx in this country likely don't have any formal Spanish-language training.

This "otherness" is immeasurable so to use that as a criteria acts solely on feeling and emotion, and not objectivity. I posit that it's an overreaction used by the educated Democrat elite to self-congratulate themselves on overcoming their racial biases. Intersectionality is important, but it should run deeper than the surface representation.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

That's why you're don't just give everyone a pass, you also have to look at what they do and say.

So it's cool if we vote for old white man Bernie instead of PoC woman Copala Harris?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Every drat day I thank Jeri Ryan for growing a spine and in turn giving the world SuperPresident Barack the Islamic Shock Obama.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MA-Horus posted:

Every drat day I thank Jeri Ryan for growing a spine and in turn giving the world SuperPresident Barack the Islamic Shock Obama.

Kenyan as hell.

Hope I remember that part correctly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Kenyan as hell.

Hope I remember that part correctly.

Muslim as all hell

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
None of you have a copy of this most important historical document saved?!

FOR SHAME.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my grandma gave me this a few years back and i still keep it around

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think, unfortunately, that unless they do that they aren’t going to beat whatever centrist oozes to the top. I think there is enough people leaning their way to put one of them on top, but they are literally splitting the vote. and cripple the message as a whole.

So the funny thing is, they're actually not.

The lesson that people seem to have forgotten from 2016 is that policy does not matter, and that feelings are far more important than facts. Because of that, even though Warren and Sanders have very similar policy platforms and are farther out to the left than anyone else in the race, their bases of support come from two very different places. For Bernie, he appeals most to those who are looking for a gruff fighter who will shake up Washington and fight for labor—in short, men without college degrees. Warren's base of support, meanwhile, comes from people who love plans and policy—mainly women with college degrees. 2nd choice statistics in many polls show there isn't actually much crossover between the two—the biggest second choice for Bernie voters, for instance, isn't Warren, but Biden, because's the next best fit for "Gruff guy who will fight for labor." It doesn't matter that Biden's policies are as far from Bernie's as they can be, because what matters instead is loose perception and pre-existing beliefs.

If anything, what I think last night's debate showed why it's so important for both Bernie and Warren to be in the race. Throughout the night, progressive policies like Medicare for All were attacked relentlessly by both the moderators (seriously gently caress those ridiculously slanted questions) and the centrist quartet of Hickenlooper, Delaney, Ryan, and Bullock. In response, Warren and Bernie were able, together, to mount an effective and passionate defense of these policies (With some backup support from Williamson). The lesson here is that when you only have one voice advocating for progressive policies, it's easy to ignore—but when you have multiple voices that are supporting and promoting each other, you end up with many more vectors with which to get the message out, which can appeal to many different kinds of people.

and in the end warren and bernie can just pledge their delegates to the other one anyway depending on who's gonna win to avoid a centrist splitting the vote 'cause delagates are awarded proportionally in the primaries, it's called strategy bitches

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

With a beautiful, normal, family.
What?! You don't like troglodytes who spend 90% of their energy formulating their next scam?!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just want the turds like Bullock, Delaney, Hickenlooper, and Ryan to drop out already. The sooner we get down to people that can actually win the better.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I just want the turds like Bullock, Delaney, Hickenlooper, and Ryan to drop out already. The sooner we get down to people that can actually win the better.

i just want more time for people to grill warren on her ideas. she's a fuckin rock who just needs time to win people over and a stage with goddamn Biden

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's the problem though, they can't. The field has to be way more narrow than it currently is to allow it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

who is in the race that doesnt represent an area on either the east or west coast

talking about thinning the field has me thinking about who besides klobuchar and biden have middle america cred

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Good news! The third debate has much more stringent requirements, and so far only eight candidates have qualified (Bernie, Biden, Warren, Harris, Beto, Butt, Booker, and Yang). There's a chance it'll get up to ten (Castro has the donations but not the polling, and Klobacher has the polling but not the donations), but, thank Christ, we've pretty much seen the last of Delaney's bullshit and the like.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Roberto "Beto" O'Rourke

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

who is in the race that doesnt represent an area on either the east or west coast

talking about thinning the field has me thinking about who besides klobuchar and biden have middle america cred

Buttigieg in theory, though everything about him screams East Coast money.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I liked how CNN kept asking Delaney questions even though I don't think a single person even clapped for him

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Buttigieg in theory, though everything about him screams East Coast money.

That's because he was made in a DNC laboratory.

Realistically the only people that have a chance of winning are (in no particular ranking order, jesus christ) Biden, Buttigieg, Harris, Sanders, and Warren. I would love it if some Mr. Smith Goes to Washington motherfucker actually existed but that's just fantasy. There's not going to be a realistic situation where that scenario happens, so we have three centrist dems and two left-of-center dems. I honestly don't know which of those five will actually pull it off, or if any of them will take the second place prize as VP.

edit: and of the entire list of dem candidates, the one I'm actually mad about is Beto. RUN FOR TEXAS SENATE AGAIN YOU FUCKER.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

He's easy to forget, but Bullock is the Governor of Montana.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

quote:

But all is not well with the rally. The problem with holding a QAnon event in Washington is that many QAnon believers are convinced that the entire capital is riddled with Masonic symbols, especially on the Mall. That makes it difficult for organizers to find a place that has both patriotic significance and isn’t considered a symbol of a demonic cabal, and they haven’t succeeded this time. 

Much of the reaction to the rally’s location near the Washington Monument within the QAnon community has focused on concern about any satanic power inherent in the landmark. One QAnon supporter on Twitter fumed that the event was being held in one of the “most dangerous” locations in the country.

“9/11 at Baal’s shaft?” wrote another. “No thanks.”

Hell yeah.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
That's the guy that wants nuclear proliferation right? Still lmaoing at that question, god drat CNN you suck

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Last month when MOAA was pushing for getting offset repeal onto the House NDAA they made a widget for emailing your Congressfuckers. I used it on June 22nd.

I got a reply today from Mooney (R-Carpetbagger) that was as generic a form letter as it gets. Didn't even mention the issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Good news! The third debate has much more stringent requirements, and so far only eight candidates have qualified (Bernie, Biden, Warren, Harris, Beto, Butt, Booker, and Yang). There's a chance it'll get up to ten (Castro has the donations but not the polling, and Klobacher has the polling but not the donations), but, thank Christ, we've pretty much seen the last of Delaney's bullshit and the like.

If you live in the Twin Cities area Klobuchar has people out asking for a "dollar and a signature" in downtown Minneapolis and Saint Paul as well as on area campuses.

I watched with a little bit and other than ignoring them the only other response they got was "why?"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

These people are a classic example of terrible things the internet has caused. Mainly by allowing that many mentally ill people to contact each other and reinforce their own hosed up belief systems.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Thought about this tweet a lot
https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gently caress Obama.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Suicide Watch posted:

I know this isn't a groundbreaking epiphany, but I wish more people would share this mindset. The outward appearance of a candidate may provide life experiences that inform their perspectives and world views, but by no means is this guaranteed. You can have lovely female, LGBTQ, and/or PoC in politics–I am sure we can all find examples of any of these.

In selecting a minority candidate, I think in a certain sense there is also a double-edged sword in that any minority candidate who has climbed their way to the establishment stage will have given up their true values in exchange for gaining favors and sucking up to leaders. The degree to which varies, and it can largely be a perception, but take the members of the black community who said Obama was not black enough. How black is Kamala Harris if she's a cop and has professor parents? Or that Julian Castro isn't a fluent Spanish speaker unlike Beto or Booker (ie. is he truly Latino?), when in fact most Latinx in this country likely don't have any formal Spanish-language training.

This "otherness" is immeasurable so to use that as a criteria acts solely on feeling and emotion, and not objectivity. I posit that it's an overreaction used by the educated Democrat elite to self-congratulate themselves on overcoming their racial biases. Intersectionality is important, but it should run deeper than the surface representation.

Jesus Christ dude, ruling out any non white non male by default because if a woman or minority is competitive, they must have given up values (but white men are trustworthy)?
Anyone who sees value in non white non male representation is virtue signalling?
Anyone who takes life experiences of a minority into consideration is "too emotional" instead of "objective?"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So the funny thing is, they're actually not.

The lesson that people seem to have forgotten from 2016 is that policy does not matter, and that feelings are far more important than facts. Because of that, even though Warren and Sanders have very similar policy platforms and are farther out to the left than anyone else in the race, their bases of support come from two very different places. For Bernie, he appeals most to those who are looking for a gruff fighter who will shake up Washington and fight for labor—in short, men without college degrees. Warren's base of support, meanwhile, comes from people who love plans and policy—mainly women with college degrees. 2nd choice statistics in many polls show there isn't actually much crossover between the two—the biggest second choice for Bernie voters, for instance, isn't Warren, but Biden, because's the next best fit for "Gruff guy who will fight for labor." It doesn't matter that Biden's policies are as far from Bernie's as they can be, because what matters instead is loose perception and pre-existing beliefs.

If anything, what I think last night's debate showed why it's so important for both Bernie and Warren to be in the race. Throughout the night, progressive policies like Medicare for All were attacked relentlessly by both the moderators (seriously gently caress those ridiculously slanted questions) and the centrist quartet of Hickenlooper, Delaney, Ryan, and Bullock. In response, Warren and Bernie were able, together, to mount an effective and passionate defense of these policies (With some backup support from Williamson). The lesson here is that when you only have one voice advocating for progressive policies, it's easy to ignore—but when you have multiple voices that are supporting and promoting each other, you end up with many more vectors with which to get the message out, which can appeal to many different kinds of people.

and in the end warren and bernie can just pledge their delegates to the other one anyway depending on who's gonna win to avoid a centrist splitting the vote 'cause delagates are awarded proportionally in the primaries, it's called strategy bitches

This is good stuff. "Check my website for my policy position" is what got us trump. Aparatchicks dont turn out the vote.

People are idiots and vote with their gut and maybe some dumb thing they saw in an attack ad.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If you think Warren is going to end up pledging delegates to Bernie in a three-way tie, you have a promising future in politics and I would be more than happy to serve as a well-paid consultant to your campaign.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A left candidate has to win on first vote at convention other wise they're going to get turbofucked by superdelegates.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Me too, man. Me too

quote this if you laugh at gore's cock every time

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hey, guess what's somehow worse then pedophilia? Whatever the hell this is!

quote:

Jeffrey E. Epstein, the wealthy financier and accused sex trafficker, had an unusual dream: He hoped to seed the human race with his DNA by impregnating women at his vast New Mexico ranch.

Mr. Epstein over the years confided to scientists and others about his scheme, according to four people familiar with his thinking, although there is no evidence that it ever came to fruition.

Mr. Epstein’s vision reflected his longstanding fascination with what has become known as transhumanism: the science of improving the human population through technologies like genetic engineering and artificial intelligence. Critics have likened transhumanism to a modern-day version of eugenics, the discredited field of improving the human race through controlled breeding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/business/jeffrey-epstein-eugenics.html

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

A left candidate has to win on first vote at convention other wise they're going to get turbofucked by superdelegates.

It's not even the superdelegates, the left candidate, i.e, Bernie, is going to get turbofucked by any remaining candidates.

As far as Warren goes, the fact that legendary centrist shits Third Way went from posting terrible op-eds in the WSJ about how Elizabeth Warren's plan to raise taxes on the wealthy was a terrible idea to quietly acknowledging her as the current soul of the Democratic party, while the only things that changed are Warren adopting some of Bernie's policy ideas.

If the lanyard wearing dipshits who are only incrementally left when it comes to social issues that poll well and are Republicans on everything else are suddenly counting her as an ally, that's suspicious as hell.

EBB posted:

quote this if you laugh at gore's cock every time

gently caress, guilty

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
al gore's inconvenient truth

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/1984to1776/status/1156260010994864139?s=20

“Get drunk and turn the wave magnitude to maximum level,” is a phrase best imagined as being read by Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Hey, guess what's somehow worse then pedophilia? Whatever the hell this is!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/business/jeffrey-epstein-eugenics.html

Don't tell people eugenics isn't real or they'll accuse you of bias