Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

redneck nazgul posted:

It's not even the superdelegates, the left candidate, i.e, Bernie, is going to get turbofucked by any remaining candidates.

As far as Warren goes, the fact that legendary centrist shits Third Way went from posting terrible op-eds in the WSJ about how Elizabeth Warren's plan to raise taxes on the wealthy was a terrible idea to quietly acknowledging her as the current soul of the Democratic party, while the only things that changed are Warren adopting some of Bernie's policy ideas.

If the lanyard wearing dipshits who are only incrementally left when it comes to social issues that poll well and are Republicans on everything else are suddenly counting her as an ally, that's suspicious as hell.

gently caress, guilty

In an optimistic world they're gulping loudly with images of guillotines running through their heads. In a reality based optimistic world they're maybe reading polls and seeing how the wind is blowing?

Give me something to work with here please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jesus Christ dude, ruling out any non white non male by default because if a woman or minority is competitive, they must have given up values (but white men are trustworthy)?
Anyone who sees value in non white non male representation is virtue signalling?
Anyone who takes life experiences of a minority into consideration is "too emotional" instead of "objective?"

It's a pretty bad take, yeah.

Also I'd love to see some links on "candidates can hand their delegates to other candidates," because the only thing I had heard about is that if someone drops out the delegates get reapportioned based on the proportion of the vote the remaining candidates got. This would still gently caress a leftist if one of the other ones dropped out later in the campaign. Not that I'm any kind of expert on any of that poo poo, just what I've absorbed in a few threads here and there.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

In an optimistic world they're gulping loudly with images of guillotines running through their heads. In a reality based optimistic world they're maybe reading polls and seeing how the wind is blowing?

Give me something to work with here please.

They're trying to split the left vote and consolidate everyone else under one candidate (but can't all agree which because there are (at least) Clinton and Obama factions within the Democratic Party apparatus).

That's the positive take. The cynical one is that Warren is in on it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Navy Awards (SECNAVINST 1650.1H) knower has logged on

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1156655361711071232?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1156655478740606977?s=20

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1156655542280118277?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh no not a lost NAM....

But seriously is it his place to be dealing with unit based citations. No of course not. The unit could just hand it out again for “reason #58475”.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 31, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

EBB posted:

quote this if you laugh at gore's cock every time

Like a loving charm, I can’t look at this photo and not see Gore’s painfully average sized cock.

Gore also owns hard. Imagine what the world would be like had we had 8 years of Gore instead of Bush. Sure 9/11 is still gonna happen but Iraq isn’t. All those lives lost, American and Iraqi.. never would have happened with Gore.

gently caress, I think most all of us have at least one person we cared about die because of the war in Iraq either in combat or from suicide. All those guys would still be here with us.

I mean this: Bush was actually worse than trump by a wide rear end margin. Say what you’ll say about Trump, and there’s a lot to say, but boy howdy I’m glad he’s so stupid and incompetent. Imagine trumps ego and motivations and resources mixed with some actual loving intelligence, and suddenly Trump is yelling hold my beer to W as he goes to grab a Mexican immigrant woman by the pussy while tweeting about how Al Sharpton “hates the whites” (direct and recent quote from POTUS).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, having diversity in leadership is good, but having a woman PoC who is a blood gargling psychopath as leader is still bad. Diversity + good politics + ideally a history of executing stuff successfully is ideal.

Yeah the law and order shot Harvey Milk.

gently caress cops since forever.

jello Biafra posted:

Drinkin' beer in the hot sun
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
I needed sex and I got mine
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
The law don't mean poo poo
If you got the right friends
That's how this county's run
Twinkies are the best friend I ever had
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
I blew George and Harvey's brains out with my
Six gun!
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
Gonna write my book and make a million
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
I'm the new folk hero of the Ku Klux Klan
My cop friend thinks it's fun
You can get away with murder if you got a badge
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
I fought the law and
I won
I AM the law so I won

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Crakkerjakk posted:

It's a pretty bad take, yeah.

Also I'd love to see some links on "candidates can hand their delegates to other candidates," because the only thing I had heard about is that if someone drops out the delegates get reapportioned based on the proportion of the vote the remaining candidates got. This would still gently caress a leftist if one of the other ones dropped out later in the campaign. Not that I'm any kind of expert on any of that poo poo, just what I've absorbed in a few threads here and there.

I double-checked and as near as I can tell according to the current rules, Delegates are selected by the campaigns they pledge for but are not technically bound to vote for that campaign. So, if a candidate drops, they can direct their delegates to vote for someone else but that doesn't necessarily mean the delegates will. So I was probably misremembering older primary rules or something along those lines.

Either way, the idea that Warren is some kind of centrist plant to split the left vote is hilarious and dumb. Oh no, some centrists started endorsing her? Can't be that she's hovering between second and third in the polls, is on an upwards trajectory, and the people writing these op-eds are spineless wimps who crave nothing more than status and jobs in the next Administration and are hedging their bets.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

She is to the right of Sanders (though still to the left of everyone else). I think there are lots of authentic Warren supporters (my wife is one of them), but the ones who work at pro-corporate think-tanks suddenly posting approvingly about her on Twitter and writing flattering op-eds after previously viewing her as a terrible threat to the Democratic Party are being disingenuous one way or another. Their entire job is to manufacture enthusiasm for pro-corporate policies, so either they think they can sabotage her if she wins, or they think she won't win, or they're trying to split the leftist vote so a centrist wins. That simple.

And Warren is probably somewhat of a careerist. To quote a poster more willing to put in effort:

joepinetree posted:

The other thing that I don't think gets much play with regards to Warren is that by all indications she is a careerist. There's a bunch of things that people tend to focus on in isolation, and will generally get dismissed as a goof, but to me clearly indicates that her morals are very flexible when it comes to something that can advance her career. To list a few:

- The whole Native American thing and academia hiring
- leaving the republican party within 12 months of moving to MA
- Stayed neutral and then endorsed Clinton in 2016 a few hours after Obama did, in the process stating that she was ready to be vice president if called upon.
- Once she entered politics, she was full throated in support of Israel, going as far as defending the bombing of hospitals, but once she decided to run for president she went suspiciously unspecific on Israel
- Voted for all military budget increases as a member of the Armed Services committee, up until 2017. 2018 she suddenly grew a spine and voted against it, but didn't explain what was different this time.
- Was strongly in support of school vouchers and tying school funding to standardized tests, up until a pivot this month at the NEA conference

In other words, outside of bank regulation, she has a very long history of taking the position that is the best strategic move for her career. Sure, one or two of these can be dismissed as she being misled or as a coincidence, but all of these make a pattern. Especially when running against the guy who was saying the same thing even when it was unpopular.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PURE SAINT BERNIE

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

maybe warren is an acceptable candidate for people who want a bunch of bernie's policies but are still salty about 2016 and would stay home if bernie won the nomination

idk it's probably only 10% of her supporters who'd do that though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

maybe warren is an acceptable candidate for people who want a bunch of bernie's policies but are still salty about 2016

Also for people versed in life expectancy tables.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

True, though she's no spring chicken herself.

Imagine I purposely misconstrued your post as one about her only supporters being corporate actuaries and either got mad or smug depending on your primary preference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I was watching the debate with my MIL who is a nurse and she was saying that really nobody above 55ish should be president based on experience with aging populations.

This cuts out almost everyone currently running for president.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

maybe warren is an acceptable candidate for people who want a bunch of bernie's policies but are still salty about 2016 and would stay home if bernie won the nomination

idk it's probably only 10% of her supporters who'd do that though

Probably. I'm sure there's some folks that are convinced that if it weren't for him Hillary Would Have Won. And also some that view her as the same as Bernie, but younger and a woman (that's my wife).

Like you said, hard to know how much is how much of her support. Doesn't really matter that much, IMO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's still wild how much of a role Weiner ended up playing in US history all over some real dumb/bad poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

It's still wild how much of a role Weiner ended up playing in US history all over some real dumb/bad poo poo.

That goddamn dick pic bumbling through history like Forrest Gump

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

That goddamn dick pic bumbling through history like Forrest Gump

Oh god this is going to be a movie isn't it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh god this is going to be a movie isn't it.

Haw, mah name's Weiner, Weiner Penis.

Y'all's can call me Wenis

Momma always said life is like open DMs, you never know what you're gonna get

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just feel that Bernie and Warren are the two candidates closest to my own politics overall. This country needs to start tilting left again (or for the first time if you're going to go all joyless D&D pedant on me) and they're the two candidates most likely to assist the process.

The country needs universal health care, increased taxation on the obscenely rich, and restoration of government oversight on the private sector. I'm not as concerned about the details as I am getting these things done at all.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 31, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just feel that Bernie and Warren are the two candidates closest to my own politics overall. This country needs to start tilting left again (or for the first time if you're going to go alljoyless D&D pedant on me) and they're the two candidates most likely to assist the process.

:hai: I'm leaning Warren over Bernie but there's a long gap between them and the rest. My 2003 self was all about an-syn stuff but I get where the modern equivalent basically won't budge on Bernie because of the feeling that Bernie's a revolutionary whereas Warren is a reformer and for folks really into that kind of stuff you might as well be comparing Marx and Hitler.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, I hate the whole "revolutionary versus reform" thing because it leads to prioritizing the ideal means over the actual desired ends which means nothing getting done.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

FAUXTON posted:

Haw, mah name's Weiner, Weiner Penis.

Y'all's can call me Wenis

Momma always said life is like open DMs, you never know what you're gonna get

This made me laugh way too hard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I hate the whole "revolutionary versus reform" thing because it leads to prioritizing the ideal means over the actual desired ends which means nothing getting done.

28 years on Capitol Hill surely accomplishes something revolutionary

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Its hilarious that Bernie's perceived foreign policy deficits look like pure genius next to the current guy who is openly trying to pressure, via Twitter, a foreign government into letting some rich guy off the hook for assault. All because another rich rear end in a top hat asked him to, and he holds a racist belief that this will win over all "the blacks".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

Its hilarious that Bernie's perceived foreign policy deficits look like pure genius next to the current guy who is openly trying to pressure, via Twitter, a foreign government into letting some rich guy off the hook for assault. All because another rich rear end in a top hat asked him to, and he holds a racist belief that this will win over all "the blacks".

Granted it isn't hard to just not be a buffoonish dick to the rest of the world, and it speaks to what's probably Bernie's best strength - being guided by what is morally right rather than what sounds acceptable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bernie is the compromise candidate.

Also, this fuckin shreds. Dilbert 3 and Top Gun had a musical baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srj_68Dk5hg

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
bernie or bust bitches

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The NAMs went to the prosecuters who had to parachute in to a high profile case right before trial because the lead got booted for being an unethical shitheel.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

top response right now

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's so good because the obvious conclusion is they were a reward for tanking the case. Then that was taken away.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Everybody who works for/with Donnie gets hosed over. Most times by him directly. How are there people who don't get this yet? There's literal decades of contractors he's completely dicked over for a buck, this poo poo isn't news.

Edit: Obviously armed forces personnel don't have a lot of choice but it keeps happening everywhere.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

It's so good because the obvious conclusion is they were a reward for tanking the case. Then that was taken away.

I doubt it, if it's like the Army then the NAM was probably the equivalent of a end of tour or PCS award.

I've got like six of the things (well, AAM) and only two of them were for doing anything. They don't mean poo poo.

edit: Actually I was mixed up, I have ARCOMs, AAMs mean even less.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2019

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I don’t think the Navy is as bad at the Army about inflated medal counts, I tend to agree since it’s a JAG Officer we are talking about.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

our foreign post ww2(and likely before) has been an unmitigated disaster but people are seriously pearl clutching over it because we might not just keep on keepin' on

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Momentary sidebar: the Bellingcat Podcast, narrated by our very own Brown Moses, just released its third episode about the downing of MH17. It’s really well produced and nicely done- I’ve been following his/their work for years, and it’s nice to see this put down as a narrative piece.

https://www.bellingcat.com/category/resources/podcasts/

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I don’t think the Navy is as bad at the Army about inflated medal counts, I tend to agree since it’s a JAG Officer we are talking about.

What??? A NAM for the navy is something they give dozens of out at every all hands call. Like I've seen E-5s with 8 or more of them.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

What??? A NAM for the navy is something they give dozens of out at every all hands call. Like I've seen E-5s with 8 or more of them.

I stand corrected. Maybe I’m misremembered, is USMC stricter?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

When I was in (99-03) NAMs in the USMC were a bit more difficult to get than AAMs (because those were given out like candy), but still not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Anything can can be approved by an O3 or below for all services is basically like candy. Anything O5/O6 approval is a bit more strict but not really. After that the award might as well not exist unless you're senior ranking, did something incredible, or were in for a long as gently caress time.