Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like Nat showing off the stages, because I played the heck out of them and while I fully get a first-time playthrough it was difficult not to cringe every time the momentum stuttered since that's just so much reflex. I think I actually got near the top of the leaderboards on City Escape Modern back when this came out.

But other than that I like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Black Robe posted:

There's something wonderfully meta about running Sonic so fast that he crashes the game.

Doctor Eggman's deadly speed traps!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

What I find interesting about City Escape is that there's no real route choices. Once you learn to avoid jumps and take that big one at the end of the boarding segment (and avoid hitting the rail on the way, that messed up a lot of my runs finding the right way to do that) it's just optimization and cutting corners. I loaded up the game and it looks like my time back in the day was 2:38. I was quite proud of that at the time, now it's not even on the top 500 or however much the leaderboard records. That's the only course I put any real effort into.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 13, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh come on, that's only half the reasons Sonic 06 was terrible. Yes the gameplay was bad, the story was bad, and the mach speed sections were bad. Also the level geometry was bad and you could just clip through the floor or have a vehicle blow up for no reason. And finally the game was terribly optimized; a 1-hour speedrun has 20 minutes of load screens, and it's much worse for casual play.

Do a side mission? It loads the whole map for the shot of a guy telling you the objective, then RE-LOADS the whole map for actual gameplay. Die? You need to go through both load screens again. Not short screens either, it's 30-60 seconds for each one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

By now we've had, what, three or four LPs of Sonic 2006 on SA? Each one, by accident, showed off different glitches. It is a fractally flawed game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZLoHXGgWE&t=3778s not just LPs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Coming up: the most memorable part of Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That boss is horrid. There's no indication that you're making progress or doing the wrong thing.