Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ultrafilter posted:

Make the banner a different color from the background. That's why people miss it.
Yeah, I've suggested making it blue or green in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I understand, ThornBrain has an LP in the works.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it's a shame Sgt. Thud's LP of the game died. I never owned any version of the Xbox, so Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are two JRPGs I've personally missed out on. Are there any other Xbox exclusive RPGs at this point?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheJayOfSpade recently did an LP of MM8.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hunt11 posted:

I thought Dark ID was taking a permanent hiatus after some awful poo poo happened in his personal life?
It seems he's back on the horse, because he's started up Shadow Hearts 2 again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

If you want to see something really loving funny, go watch ChaosArgate and crew try to make it through the hosed up geometry-broken version of Ocarina of Time that his haunted bootleg GameCube produced seemingly at random.

You’ll never look at OoT the same ever again. It’s somehow even more broken than Nimpize Adventure.
It's like the second coming of Chaos Mode, only not a romhack.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DQ6 is on my list of games to LP when I have the time, but that may not be for the foreseeable future.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

S.J. posted:

Any recommendations for a video LP of Persona 3? Portable is the most complete version, right?
It technically has the most content, but a lot of the graphics and even some of the VA has to be left by the wayside in order to make it so the PSP could handle the game, iirc. Most of the animated cutscenes are gone, even the in-engine ones, replaced by VN-style talking heads.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OP wants a video LP, and Dragonatrix's, while good, is screenshot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm going to recommend Avalon Code by Didja Redo and Final Fantasy Legend I and II by Chokes McGee for folks who like narrative screenshot LPs. And since I've been on a Breath of Fire kick recently, Breath of Fire and its sequel by Scintilla are probably the best way to experience those janky old SNES JRPGs (especially BoF2; the original is still okay).

On the video side, Shadow of the Colossus (2018) by Natural 20 and Yorkshire Tea (doesn't seem to be on the Archive yet for some reason) was my introduction to that game and it was a journey of discovery, capped by mutual goggling at how a crazy speedrun broke the game in half.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I very much enjoyed FutureFriend and his crew (that's right, he's the boss, at least until they hear about it) brawling their way through lesser known BMUPs in Beat 'Em Up Bhursday.

Hard to say if the videos have more jokes or fists flying.

Unfortunately they're all avowed pacifists so there's only 3 episodes as of this moment, but it's a still (slowly) ongoing project as far as I know.
That reminds me; also by FutureFriend is The Bouncer, a good LP of a mediocre brawler.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HHammond posted:

Hi everyone. Anyone able to recommend a good video LP of Alien: Isolation? Particularly one that delves into the mechanics of the game or has an interesting take rather than a blind LP? I've looked on YouTube but... well, it's YouTube, so lots of shouty men with little insight into the game. I am looking for something with commentary as well, as it's to watch whilst I'm working (there was an unfinished LP on here, but it was subtitled and has since been abandoned).

More generally, if there are any other video LPs that delve into mechanical or narrative analysis of a game, I'd be interested. Doesn't really matter what game, or what genre, but preferably something with a real focus on design/narrative. Any favourites people wanna recommend?
Not a narrative focused LP, but FPZero's and Tyty's LP of the Super Mario World Central Vanilla Level Design Contest 9 (there's a link to it in the OP of this thread) is two romhackers with a long history with SMW reviewing romhacker levels and sounding off about what works and what doesn't in level design. A very interesting watch, IMO, but it's a long one; there were a lot of levels in that contest for them to play through.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

VLDC9 doesn't require archives.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also you need archives access.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think OP is talking about the Peter Molyneux god-sim game not the Gen 5 Pokemon games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Mega64 also did a solo Berserker run in FF5, and the run turned into a megathread with a bunch of other "solo class" runs for FF5.

There's a low-level run of Chrono Trigger on the archive as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Disappointing Pie posted:

The Giant Bomb thread went down an LP remembrance spiral the other day.

Are there any good funny group LPer's around anymore? I specifically brought up the Freelance Astronauts. Not because I particularly liked their sense of humor but they just jelled well together. They bounced off each other well, knew how far along to take a joke and when to refocus attention on the game etc.

When Youtube kinda punished LP's in the algorithm a few years back it seems like most group LP'ers kinda disbanded not long afterwards.
TheStrawhatNo! is still around. BigTUnit doesn't do LPs anymore, but Yoshi still co-commentates and JigglyJacob has filled his slot.

Not really an "LP group" so much as a guy and his friend, but Natural 20 is rarely seen without his buddy Yorkshire Tea, who has even taken the controls for one or two of their LPs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Looks like there's been a goon restoration project that just made good on their promise.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They're not strictly Let's Plays, but LittleKuribo has been going through the series on his Twitch channel; he's currently on Trials and Tribulations, IIRC. JelloApocalypse did the same for the Investigations games, at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

1999 is considered "the early Windows era" :corsair:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As a Wild Arms fan, somebody calling Media Vision "indie" makes me sad.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Solitair posted:

I was very confused because I thought you two were talking about Star Control 2 at first.
See, my mind jumped straight to Soul Calibur 2 from the abbreviation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This thread's been real horny these past few days.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This has been a wild ride.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dunno why those reptile guys from Star Trek are so bad... :v:

There's no need to inform me of the true meaning of that word. :eng99:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Posting this here so I don't get probed but you forgot the link to the LP in the New LP Thread.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

While I did enjoy that game for what it was (despite some problems I have with the "antagonists"), that one would be a tad difficult for an LP. I remember it having quite a bit of fanservice, even if it didn't exactly revel in it. I don't think it approached Ar Tonelico levels, but it was very similar in a lot of ways.
Ar Tonelico has LPs, seems like by your description Stella Glow wouldn't be that difficult...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Droplet posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a (preferably screenshot) LP that totally breaks open the game via exploits and/or in-depth mechanical knowledge? I just finished OrangeFluffySheep's FFTA LP on the archive and would love more like it.
This Final Fantasy 6 LP by Elephantgun breaks the game wide open, including exploring the infamous Sketch Glitch and exactly what it does, showing a way back to the World of Balance from the World of Ruin, etc.

This LP by Metroixer explores the broken pile of spaghetti code that is Pokemon Blue, including doing the Gyms in as close to reverse order as you can get without actual cheat codes.

You might want to look at Four Job Fiesta runs of FF5 as well, while they're less focused on breaking the game, they generally involve in-depth mechanical knowledge of the game and high-level strategies, especially if the player ends up with a weaker job like Berserker or Ranger.

Those are the two I can think of off the top of my head. The others I know of are either incomplete or abandoned.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking for a long and hopefully complete screenshot LP to read, in an effort to keep myself distracted from the news. Anyone got any recs? I'd like Pokemon romhacks, or stuff that gets into RPG mechanics. I'm going to guess without looking that I should reread OrangeFluffySheep's stuff - but what else is out there?
In addition to the ones mentioned earlier, I'm going to toss in a recommendation for Rabbi Racoon's LP of Breath of Fire 3, which is a deep dive into the Master and weird skill learning systems in the game, and he even takes on various reader-submitted challenges throughout the LP, like only being able to attack using consumable items (specifically fish). Scintilla is responsible for LPing most of the rest of the series, but 1 and 2 don't really have that many mechanics to exploit (though the LP of 2 does go into the town building and how best to optimize that), so the one I'd recommend most of you're looking for deep mechanical dives is probably Dragon Quarter, which IIRC gets finished with minimal dragon form usage.

In the vein of the Let's Break FF6 LP, there's this LP of Pokemon Blue by Metroixer that abuses the infamous Gen 1 glitches to take the Gyms in as close to the reverse of the "intended" order as is possible, among other things.

Dragonatrix/Lotus Aura has done a bunch of LPs of stuff, most notably a fair amount of MegaTen games, but the one I can really personally recommend is this LP of Persona 3 that does 100% Social Links on both FES' male route and Portable's female route.

Araxxor is currently doing an LP of 7th Dragon that goes deep into the mechanics, including huge effortposts on each class and even datamining the game to get exact numbers for certain mechanics. The sequel is currently being LPed by Kinu Nishimura (with a lot of custom art!) and Araxxor is doing a lot of the same effortposting there.

I'm gonna stop here for now because I'm at work, but hopefully this will be a good start!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, so that was the disturbance in the Force I felt.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never watched any Breaking Bad, so I'm extremely curious if there's an in-universe reason that the beard guy has the size sticker still on his shirt.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You mean the numbering that they don't, and have never, used on the packaging and is entirely invented by fans? Nothing opaque about that, no. You certainly wouldn't need an intimate knowledge of a series where a good half of the games have never been officially translated into English in order to understand that FE16 is the most recent game in the series.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ThornBrain has done LPs of the 3DS port of Ocarina and the N64 version of Majora with his crew, and Mugiwara Yoshi took the helm for Wind Waker HD. All three are LPs by folks who have played the games before and know what they're doing. If you don't mind if the co-commentators are blind as long as the LPer knows the game, FrenzyTheKillbot has an ongoing LP of Ocarina with two blind co-coms that might be worth checking out, especially considering he's doing the Ship of Harkinian unofficial PC port, the first full LP of that on the forums AFAIK.

If you're looking for something a little more esoteric, there's an old LPs by DoctorKill of both Ocarina and Majora. DoctorKill comes from the speedrunning community and his LPs are done with the intent of showing off the glitches and exploits used by the community. His Ocarina LP goes through the child dungeons as adult and vice versa, while he does (IIRC) reverse boss order in Majora.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OP's talking about Tales of Destiny, not Destiny the shootmans game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The same "that guy" as I found out about when I tried doing a Wild Arms LP?