Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
My city has a cop problem. The problem is that they're constantly understaffed because they require a four year degree but pay less than literally any private employer in the city that requires a four year degree.

Hell, I think even the teachers make more, not that I think that's a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tryzzub posted:

nypd starts at 42.5, but you get a mulligan if you shoot someone in a stairwell

You get triple if you make it downstairs after the second plane hits

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Internet Wizard posted:

Cops probably wouldn’t be getting doused with water if they were welcome members of their community rather than an external occupying force but I guess that doesn’t let enough people play soldier dressup

it also doesn't help recruitment when job requirements include "has no priors" and "doesn't smoke a weed" and "can afford a four year degree"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The other recruitment problem that my local department is having is the fact that the base salary is barely enough to cover cost of living for a family of four in the community they service... and this is after the county approved a 10% funding increase last year. Who the gently caress wants to risk getting shot during a routine traffic stop and still live paycheck to paycheck?

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 27, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

People who get off to having power.

Police in the US need to have more centralized certification and training and to re-professionalize

This guy got my point.

Also the point was tacitly directed at the whole "members of the community" sentiment: it's hard to be a member of the community if you can't afford to live there because gigantic national property corporations buy up all of the reasonably priced housing and flip it so they can charge enormous amounts of rent.

Unless it's zoned for multifamily already, in which case they evict everyone, knock the whole thing down, and build "mixed use" that rents for 2.5 times what it did before.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
what if we only incarcerated people for violent crimes and made it a violent crime to do otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

The solution is not being a paid enforcer for the rich who are set on gentrifying the community out of existence if you want to be a member of the community, buddy.

Hope that helps.

So your solution is that people with a conscience never go into law enforcement, leaving no choice but to hire people without a conscience.

That seems like a good idea.