Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bored As gently caress posted:

Good. gently caress that guy. DA needs to clean house in Houston Narcotics.

Houstonian here. What's bad is that historically, the DA's office here is at least as bad, if not worse than our police. Our cops seem relatively corruption and scandal free compared to a lot of cities, but if anything it's because the DA doesn't do poo poo to pursue anything the PD does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Remember that from 1972 until 2014, it was legal for undercover police in Hawaii to have sex with prostitutes provided it was part of an investigation. I'm sure that was never abused, no way.

Stravag posted:

Goddammit i just realized she consented is literally cop for she was asking for it look at what she was wearing

It's more that coerced sex is, by definition, non consensual. So unless you believe she was ready and willing while handcuffed in the back of a police van....

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ultimately I believe this trial will end up in a hung jury, sadly. She needs to go to prison, but I just don't see it happening.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Flikken posted:

This is the one where she was drunk, went to the wrong apartment and shot the occupant right?

I don't think she was drunk, but otherwise yes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

So let’s suppose for the sake of argument that Brown was killed purely because of drug trade.

Then the reasonable statement at this time is that there is zero evidence of his death being related to the trial. Not a declarative that it was not related to the trial with added “watch yourself” tones.

This is the more important part of the tweet in my opinion. I think the "thinly veiled threat" as it's been called here is just a poor command of the English language. But a declarative statement about innocence/guilt or whether third party comments are factual or not is not only incredibly premature, it's a clear conflict of interest. There is no way for the Chief of DPD to know with absolute certainty whether or not his department was involved - the investigation/judicial process around a murder generally takes weeks at a minimum, more often months unless they have a signed confession.

To me this reads more like "Move along citizen, nothing to see here" than it does a threat. And when the victim in this case was a key witness in a murder trial that already had a corrupted investigation process by the same department that just doesn't fly - DPD needs to be more forthcoming, not obfuscating further.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Grem posted:

God drat install police protection devices on your home if you live in the Dallas-FW area.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/woman...gTIL0hwffu2K6Qw

Sadly she failed her duty to lock.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

"Move along citizen, nothing to see here" is also an implicit threat.

Edit: Remember also this is Texas. Even if the lady was armed to the teeth and carrying an AK at high ready, she'd be perfectly within her legal rights.

I was referencing a tweet about an entirely different incident, the Joshua Brown murder after the Guyger trial. The Fort Worth shooting is 100% bad as described (I haven't seen the video), there is no defense, that dude needs to spend time behind bars.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Melthir posted:

Honestly make cops meet the FLETC standards. If they fail to be able to talk to people have a nice day. If they dont understand that the contact officer stays the contact officer have a nice day. You want fed funding meet fed standards otherwise get hosed.

Got a link or full description of these standards? Never heard of it before, kind of interested.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Victor Vermis posted:

Dead now. TFR-flavored ACABers are hilarious:

"There should be no law enforcement and people should be responsible for preventing and stopping crime and bringing the suspect to a fair trial themselves. If you let someone commit a crime against you and you didn't stop or apprehend them then tough poo poo and better luck next time."

Who made that argument?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wow. I'm in Houston and that flew under my radar. Thanks for sharing, seriously.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Serious question: what purpose do motorcycle cops serve? I can't think of anything other than possibly highway patrol in low traffic areas, and even that is questionable. Limited capacity, no significant upgrade to range or speed, possibly maneuverability? Europe makes more sense than the US since so many of the roads are so much narrative, I just don't get it in Texas.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

Why do you want to let the terrorist shoot up a jewish deli so badly, cole?

It's a real wonder that people intensely dislike cops when those same cops are antagonistic towards anyone that questions/disagrees with them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

Cole isn't a cop.

I was talking about you. I'm sorry that has to be pointed out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

Well when I have to deal with accusations like the "joke" below you'll have to forgive me if I sometimes return the same kind of lovely posts to you and yours.

And here comes the otherization. Way to go reinforcing that divide between civilians with badges and civilians without badges.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Smiling Jack posted:

but you're ok with the joke? Otherizing cops is ok?

if you don't like a cop / not cop divide maybe don't contribute to it

To be fair I didn't see the joke - I was responding to Chichevache specifically doing something he's already been called out for.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

colachute posted:

*internet poster says something out of concern for the officers safety*

“WHAT THE gently caress??????” -you, 2019

Goddamn even when people are looking out for you it’s a problem. No wonder no one likes cops.

Is it less than ideal to have every officer lined up on one wall? Sure. But there is no defined hierarchy for someone to give orders, there isn't any information indicating other shooters - and this is a crime scene, not a war zone, chances are there won't be additional shooters. Look, ultimately the problem with your premise is that interagency training will never be a thing, primarily for logistical reasons. Policing in America is done at a local level, and it's unreasonable to expect that 4 agencies will have not only trained together enough to coordinate their actions in a meaningful way, but also to establish who has jurisdiction/control/whatever over a given scene to be able to give orders. It's a chaotic, dynamic situation and you do the best you can. Hell, given the lack of uniforms (which, as has been pointed out, is a function of the emergency) splitting up could prove to be more dangerous if one cop sees someone they don't know with a firearm.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Internet Wizard posted:

Okay but seriously why didn’t half of those cops have plate carriers that identified them as cops.

I think we all want the answer to this question.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Smiling Jack posted:

Statistically, something like one tenth of one percent of cops will get in a shootout every year with the NYPD. (The NYPD shoots way, way less than other departments). The problem is that shootouts are rare, so training for them is not always a priority, but on the other hand it's not the kind of thing you want to gently caress up

Edit: also cops don't need infantry tactics, we usually deal with 1-2 shooters who are either highly mobile or very stationary. We don't need to worry about incoming artillery fire or supporting forces for instance.

... outliers like a Mumbai style attack would leave any department totally hosed, we aren't set up to repel squad size light infantry attacks

Speaking of training, how much psychological training is there in your department? Of course it will vary by role, but even generally - tactics for deescalation, recognizing volatile situations early, whatever. Even if the NYPD shoots far less than other departments, it's still a tiny fraction of officers that fire their weapons in the line of duty in any given year. Dealing with irate suspects/witnesses, keeping focused and calm yourself (thinking specifically of the Brailsford dude), etc. - does the NYPD spend any time on that department-wide? Or only for specific units?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's important to remember that the stories we read about are only a fraction of the abuses that actually occur. I'd be very curious to see any academic research into what the reporting rates are for police abuse, especially when you take into account that many departments will actively discourage citizens from filing a complaint.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Is someone stopping you from reading or something? are you in jail right now?

No, I just can't find anything pertaining to that. I also don't have direct access to primary journals to perform a better search, and I'm doing this from a cell phone as I'm traveling for the holidays so even my ability to search Google etc. is limited.

Do you have anything useful to post?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

Mileage varies, but there are some cities where even a very "Thin Blue Line" mayor, comptroller, etc, will turn to cops and tell the leadership to stop loving up so goddamned hard if suddenly it's hard to pay for schools/streets/whatever because dumb/malicious cops keeping committing civil rights violations.

Have you heard of Maricopa County?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Victor Vermis posted:

Opining on the potential recidivism rate of someone with a prior trafficking offense discovering there are now 17 kilos in their home isn't indicative of fascist leanings ya fuckin' nerd.

According to the article that floor of the building was being rented out. It's entirely possible it wasn't his and he had no idea it was even there. But hey, that would require an investigation to figure it out, much easier to just hope you don't get caught perjuring yourself.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

For me, the death penalty begins and ends with the concept of an infallible justice system, where the possibility of an innocent person being executed is nonexistent. Since the US has almost certainly executed at least one factually innocent person, we don't have that. Thus the death penalty is unjust and should be abolished.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

Also let's just go ahead and put out that expiration timer on her career.

Bet the "locker room talk" is very professional and doesn't factor into her work environment at all.

I wouldn't go anywhere without some way of surreptitiously recording a conversation if I were her (or someone in a similar situation).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is the same case where the police union rep came out and said this:

quote:

"We are sick and tired of having targets on our back," Gamaldi said. "We are sick and tired of having dirtbags trying to take our lives when all we're trying to do is protect this community and protect our families."

"Enough is enough. If you're the ones out there spreading the rhetoric that police officers are the enemy, well just know we've all got your number now," Gamaldi said. "We're going to be keeping track on all of y'all, and we're going to make sure to hold you accountable every time you stir the pot on our police officers."

https://abc13.com/hpou-president-has-strong-words-about-suspects-in-police-shooting/5110763/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

There isn't a big enough :wtf: for this:

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/nation-world/murder-charge-for-officer-accused-of-killing-handcuffed-man

quote:

A Maryland police officer who fatally shot a handcuffed man in the front seat of a police cruiser will face a murder charge, the police chief said Tuesday.

This happened last night and the cop in question is already being charged - so at least there isn't even an attempt to make this go away.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You could be correct, I have no idea - and I have no idea if that department has a reputation for racism. I'm taking everything at face value, which so far seems to be that this cop shot a handcuffed dude, and the department is pressing charges 24 hours later.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Trigger warning on this link. I don't say that lightly and if I eat a ban for it, cool.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/crime/thomas-valva-profile-1.41568143

loving heartbreaking and I'm flat out drinking because I'm having trouble with this one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

Thanks to an old SCOTUS ruling, it's the current law of the land that cops can't be expected to understand the laws so if they gently caress it up, nbd, but non-cops are expected to have perfect understanding of all laws and if they gently caress up knowledge of the law, gently caress 'em anyway.

What ruling is this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This....does not look like a good shoot.

A man who was shot by a Chicago police officer during a confrontation Friday afternoon at the CTA Grand Red Line station was initially stopped by officers for crossing between train cars, police said.

https://twitter.com/FreeRangeCritic/status/1233536447749201921

Edit: As an aside, I cannot imagine how loving loud that shot must have been at a subway station surrounded by tile with no earpro.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

Ultimately she took the shot, but it sure sounds like her partner yells at her to shoot him far before she actually does. So whaddaya know, both cops bad.

He did. He was calling for her to shoot him because he couldn't make the guy comply.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pantslesswithwolves posted:

How are cops handling routine traffic stops and face to face interactions during COVID?

I would expect you have to do something exceptionally dumb and/or dangerous on the roads to get pulled over right now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm expecting a police shooting at some point where the cops then refuse to render aid due to social distancing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sucks for this guy whose door got kicked in for no reason, but at least nobody was hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmhRd_jC3Y

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're an accomplice to a crime in which another person dies, you're also criminally liable for their death.

The felony murder rule has done a lot more harm than good thus far. Every cop involved involved in the Minneapolis case is culpable, don't get me wrong - but that's a big sword to swing, and it's hosed a lot of people over who didn't deserve it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Stravag posted:

Was it in houston that the cops were about to execute a warrant and a old lady looked out of her window a couple doors down so the cops popped her and used that reason and then just so happened to miraculously find a gun somewhere in the house? Or am i mixing them up again?

Dallas area, if it's the one I'm thinking of and that shame is referencing. I'm in Houston - here the cops just did a home invasion on bad info, killed a couple, then lied about it, then had the police union effectively threaten everyone who expressed their displeasure on social media.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

I want the boot to be on the other foot.

Just once some loving accountability would be nice; in lieu of that, I'm beginning to settle for reciprocity.

I don't disagree, put every cop on the scene there in prison unless there's tape of one attempting to intervene. Just pointing out that felony murder laws are poo poo and poo poo and should be reconsidered.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Minneapolis is kicking off in a big way right now :stare: I can't say I'm surprised, but this is looking like the situation is continuing to escalate, not deescalate. There's already talk of the mayor calling in the National Guard.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...d5-c1e0eaa52ec7

https://unicornriot.ninja/2020/minneapolis-protests-police-murder-of-george-floyd-day-2/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Looks like they misunderstood the post-Charlottesville training. gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

They trampled a person in Houston. If they're willing to take lethal actions, why should they be given any consideration?