Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It really would be nice if police listened to the communities they policed or came from them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Can of worms but I just found out how racist been Franklin really was.

Bury your heroes.

This kind of poo poo is baked into our politics and we must denounce bigotry in all its forms throughout our history, so that we can acknowledge the cost in human suffering our country came at, and attempt to make this right for the generations that follow.

Don't @ me with your defense of slavery and racism throughout history white people. You benefited from it tacitly.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 4, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chichevache posted:

Ghandi was a racist too. gently caress that piece of poo poo.

You missed the point. Don't elevate your historical figures to mythical status and overlook their faults too long to remember they were only human.

And that the effects of racism are long lasting and generational.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/im-sure-its-no-coincidence-that-cuck-will-be-released-on-the-same-day-as-joker.php posted:

But what does it say about 2019 that a major studio, in Warner Brothers, and an indie company, in Gravitas Ventures, are both releasing on the same day similarly themed movies about aggrieved white men who resort to violence when the world does not provide them with the appreciation they think they deserve? Both movies are described as “cautionary tales,” which is to say: They warn viewers about the dangers of men like Arthur Fleck and “Ronnie,” but a “warning” presupposes we can do something about that danger. Aside from massive gun control and mandatory mental health screenings, how do you stop a guy like Arthur Fleck, except to give them what they want, which veers into Jordan Peterson “enforced monogamy” territory. You don’t want men like Arthur Fleck or Ronnie to resort to mass violence? Then f*ck them, stop calling them out on their white privilege, and tell them they are the geniuses they think they are.

I’m all for exploring the “human condition,” but what kind of cautionary tale is that? One that demands we appease aggrieved white men lest they turn into the Joker? Seems like a pretty sh*tty message in 2019. But I’m sure that Joaquin Phoenix is grea

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just doing our jobs! Thin blue line!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
E: not drunk thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s Texas, and she’s a young white woman accused of killing a black man.

She might not be found not guilty, but she’s never going to be found guilty.

Shits just not gonna happen. It’s sad, but it’s true.

So how do we begin to fix this?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brute Squad posted:

Long as the prosecutors don't gently caress it up.

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1176178065627635712

narrator: they hosed up

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/23/amber-guyger-trial-banned-device-dallas-county-john-creuzot-interview-before-testimony/

irony is iirc Creuzot ran and won on pushing to charge Guyger. It was the dumbest thing he could have done.

Prosecutors work for the police, people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
they should impeach the prosecutor for loving up on his at bat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
But was he SCARED when he did it.

You have to be afraid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay-K

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBv-Vo7B5M

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Victor Vermis posted:

Or, you know, prosecute the entire DPD if that is exactly what is going on.

Y'all cry when we suggest this because what if your friend only lightly hate crimed???

DPD and the Rangers need to be removed entirely from this case.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It just seems the police are afraid of getting punished for killing people, because they consider it a part of their job.

This is problematic and police departments historically racist organizations; we are only a generation or two removed from the civil Rights movement.

We need to cut out the white nationalists that hide behind "locker room talk" and a complicit Justice system that protects it's members better than it protects the Citizens of the United States.

So yes, I'm quite positive every cop, even by the book, just and kind cops, turn plenty of blind eyes to alarming behavior from friends, at best, or are willing accomplices to stacking the deck against minorites, particularly Blacks, Hispanics, sex workers, and the mentally ill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

wow another isolated incident!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Communities that policed themselves last got labeled as ghettos and gangs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EBB posted:

Nobody is kidding themselves that violent, armed revolution is immediately around the corner. In the meantime I feel relatively powerless to do anything about the uniform culture. Police unions and the thin blue line will always protect their own, so change isn't going to come from within. The judicial and legislative bodies that should have oversight over policing bodies are also complicit in advancing this culture instead of stomping it out, as is their duty. As a civilian I cannot change internal police culture and don't feel that I can elect persons who care to or are able to change police culture. I have no desire to run for office. The best effort I can give is activism, and warning others that the people in uniforms are not there for the safety of the public any more.

Learn who your judges and sheriffs were before you vote for them.

Vote for minorites and those that fight for the Rights of minorites.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

stealie72 posted:

1) No more DoD freebies for police departments

2) Vets get in line with everyone else trying to apply (because I know banning vets from being cops will not happen)

3) BA in some kind of relevant field required

4) National standards/policies for all departments
4a) Federal oversight for all PDs (no idea what this looks like)

5) Bring back residency requirements

6) No individual department may have a SWAT team (to reserve then for real SWAT situations)

7) Make all policing community policing. Get out of the cars and learn people's names

8-999) Other things I haven't thought of

Cops will never change themselves if they do not get rid of white nationalists.

"You will not replace us," literally their statement that implies they are not going anywhere and are embedded everywhere.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

colachute posted:

If we could find a way to disqualify prior military from people cops I would be on board.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe cops can try to understand the communities they are policing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1XoK3juVs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shooting Blanks posted:

Got a link or full description of these standards? Never heard of it before, kind of interested.

here's police JKO.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bored As gently caress posted:

Maybe he should change department policy to make membership in a hate group a fireable offense! Doesn't seem too difficult to do, there, Chief!

He'd have to be the chief of police to do something like that!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsPfk_qwK0

Here is a breath of fresh air for most people in this thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Batting 1.000 on "was the victim another unarmed black kid" game.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Getting away with crimes should only apply to police!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If you're a gun person worried about your guns "becoming" illegal because you wouldn't be able to fight the government, I have some bad news re: the legality of armed insurrection.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh look collective action

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stravag posted:

Huh so there is an issue that cops are willing to take a stand on. Too bad its not one involving actually doing their jobs and protecting the public but it's to be expected

I find it more ironic for all police culture's lip service to selflessness, that the police chose to not be police anymore when there was no money in it.

I don't blame them really.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pick posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

If this isn't unnerving, I don't know what is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/11/eagles-malcolm-jenkins-reacts-to-being-ripped-by-philadelphia-police-union-president-video.html

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hello from the gas chamber!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Feels like most cops I know think they're John McLane in that situation, until they end up being Sgt Powell and shooting a kid.

The kid was an incel/white nationalist.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 12, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Smiling Jack posted:

cole: why do cops take risks when they could let citzens die instead

Cops are citizens.

You are not a different class. You're proles that wish they were heroes and this is part of the loving problem.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lacking even the thin blue patches and Punisher skulls as backup identifiers

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Stop bringing fyad bullshit into respectable subforums.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I wish that dui cop died

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Trash Ops posted:

That is correct, why’d you type thin blue line twice lmao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ruddiger posted:

Feeling cute, might shoot a kid in the face while killing their dog later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIpnxgdzTU

All that was completely necessary violence and police should feel proud their compatriot made it home nice and safe from that 9 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZZ5lXZFMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It should take more than reciting a single phrase over and over to justify a police homicide.

I think that police ought to be given less carte blanche authority to kill and harass the poor for non violent crimes.

I think police should have to assess the danger properly before just shooting at their fellow citizens.

I understand that makes your job harder. I don't care. gently caress your pension and poo poo.

Police involvement is a liability to everyone else.

You guys robbed yourselves of goodwill decades ago.