Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Professor Bling posted:

"People with a conscience" in law enforcement are at best sidelined and voluntarily keep their heads down, at worst drummed out or killed.

Stop believing in the myth of the "good cop" because they don't exist

They literally do though, as a volunteer fire fighter I've seen them over and over no matter what town I've been stationed in. Dudes take the extra time to listen and talk. Dont run around in a brodozer. Its generally the guys in the mid 30s or younger. Just because they don't support your bullshit fantasy doesn't mean they are not out there and common enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the thing.

A good person who becomes a cop lasts as a 'good cop' precisely until they realize that they cannot stop the bad cops from abusing their power.

At that point they either stop being a cop, or stop being good and start being complicit in the coverups.

Bullshit, thats a loving strawman from hell. You are not responsible for someone else's actions. You are responsible for you. If someone else does something hosed up pass it up the chain. If they choose not to act that's on them. If it's bad enough contact the IG or IA. You do the best you can do every day. I've been doing this gig 16 years now and yeah the assholes get to be a pain but if you don't make a change but can prevent poo poo from getting worse then your doing your community a favor if some idealist gently caress like me wasn't filling this gig they'd likely put some Gomer Pyle gently caress in my spot. Every single day you can make a difference is just whether you going to let this poo poo grind you down or not.

Some days it sucks worse then others, so what that's loving called life. But if by just not being a gently caress up your able to make someone's life better then that's good enough. I'd rather it be me or one of my buddies show up then some tacticool fuckwit who should have never been hired in the first place showing up and using force when there was no reason for it. Just by being a decent human being prevents 90% of the bullshit from kicking off in the first place.

Also generally the guys who get help or talk about the hosed up poo poo and work out generally are not the guys I'm worried about cracking skills. It's the broody fucks who eat like poo poo and keep it all to themselves, it eats at them like cancer.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Uhhhhhh, you're absolutely responsible for other's actions when you're a cop. Maybe not often legally liable in the US, but morally.

You are very much accountable for your co-workers actions in any profession like this from medicine, the military, or law enforcement.

Your cherry picking here dude. I covered that just a bit later. You are responsible only as far as sending it up the chain to you supervisor, the IG or IA. Unless they are your subordinate you are literally not responsible for them. I'm not responsible if some loving rear end clown decides to go hands on with someone over failure to show identification. I know 100% our supervisor would gently caress his world up. The only people I have to worry about are me and my guys. And funny thing is that they all have a similar mindset as I do. Do the job don't harass people. Dont go hands on if their is another option. Talking is key.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

Hey so this is a lot of angry words but if you know something bad happened and its being covered up when does it become "bad enough" to where you stop ignoring the coverup (that you've tacitly admitted you do) and instead go to IG or IA? What if IG or IA does nothing (because they're also cops and just loving lol at cops holding other cops accountable)?

Do you throw your hands up and say "oh well, I did one useless thing, so now it's not on me?" Which is bullshit, by the way; it's absolutely on you.

It's on everyone wearing a badge to be responsible for the actions of everyone else wearing a badge, and to fight like hell against any injustice done by the police.

Don't like it? Too loving bad, you're in the wrong line of work.

No you drat edge lord. You dont cover up anything, I even went over that. If it's bad enough that someone outside your supervisor needs to know or repeatedly ignores then you reach out.

If the drat investigators don't do their job that's on them, not me. Hopefully the media coverage of the situation will bring it to light. If not I'm still going to keep doing the best I can. By me just saying gently caress it I'm not going to do a good job anymore cause bad LEOs make people angry is just stupid. All that does is open up my job to some asshat that likes the way this country is headed under our current administration.

Also do you really believe in any way shape or form that your arguments are going to make a difference with your obviously straight ACAB arguments. Don't like it, to bad. Learn how to articulate yourself in a way that doesn't come across a a pedantic twat.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even the most evenhanded cop who doesn't have a malicious bone in his body and manages to avoid the taint of the corruption in his department is still going to be responsible for the enforcement priorities of his department that are shaped by a lot more than just public safety/good and reinforce systematic inequalities.

Not any more then regular Joe is for repeatedly voting in the fuckheads who give us tasking. The poo poo policing in America is a societal problem. People refuse to pay what a good officer is worth. Refuse to pay for good training and then bitch incessantly about the outcomes when the political parties use LEOs like clubs to try to shape the system in there favor.

Let me put it this way do you know how many people showed up to the last city council meeting that discussed the modernization of the use of force policy we had in place? 4. Do you know how many people showed up to put in their 2 cents on another tattoo parlor opening up? 63.
No one know or cares about any of this poo poo unless it blows up on public media or it happens to them and it's a crying shame.

At the end of the day your average LEO just wants to go home without doing a poo poo ton of useless paperwork after helping some people out. There are people that joined to crack skulls but I've never met one that hasn't been shipped out to where that kind of poo poo is acceptable.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Honestly this is my favorite thread. Half the people in here are LEOs that hate 70% of there coworkers the other half a edgelords that are apparently unable to communicate either due to bans or an obsession with flagellation.

So my old boss got poo poo canned for shooting deer from one of our boats. We turned his rear end in and he got loving hammered lost his ability to hunt in AK for like 10 years. Dumb rear end just FB posted himself bagging a deer by a very recognizable landmark in the state and I'm kinda wondering what's going to happen this time.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Lmao. gently caress poachers.

Right but the balls it takes for a sitting CO to illegally merc a deer from a federal asset and think nothing is going to happen topped with the stupidity to start round 2. I'm starting to wonder if this guy doesn't have medical issues.

Or he could just have though the blue line was going to protect him I don't know but to this day dunking on his rear end is second only to having a dude bounce back in the middle of CPR.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

poo poo, if we're just wishing for ridiculous things, I want a free Lamborghini.

An R8. At least you can afford to have fun in it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Honestly make cops meet the FLETC standards. If they fail to be able to talk to people have a nice day. If they dont understand that the contact officer stays the contact officer have a nice day. You want fed funding meet fed standards otherwise get hosed.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Let me see your life jackets citizen.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Y'all are just screaming past each other honestly

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

What did I miss?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Being a sea pig is not a bad gig.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

also coast guard has law enforcement powers and there have been coastie astronauts so nothing is beyond our grasp you cannot hide from space police

Someday ill be asking to see your life jackets, but in space.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So I don’t get what the point of this thread is if when every time Smiling Jack or Bored as gently caress respond to a post concerning obvious police misconduct, bad uses of force or their own opinions as to what parts of American policing are hosed and which are slightly less hosed, the usual response by many here is to treat them like they’re some avatar from officer.com or some thin blue line shitheads. I remember when GIP had actual no poo poo CHUD cops posting on the reg in here, and they’ve all moved on or been chased out for being lovely people. Is anyone actually learning anything here or is this just a chance to say gently caress you to a cop?

It's not always bad. I tossed out the idea of national police training to set standards and practices and you know actually provide decent training and it was hailed as a good idea. The main problem is you have 50 different states with 50 different standards and that's not even including the county and city guys. A lot of places have a pretty decent copper tradition of doing the right thing, some place have a lovely track record. LEO's are people and it's a poo poo job for the most part with no where near enough emphasis on training and mental health. You have a high turn over rate and in smaller departments that can't pay as much the poo poo heads generally stick around.

All that being said LEO's that circle jerk themselves over cop culture are generally toxic gently caress heads. Fortunately the CG rotates people through LEO billets fairly often so your preforming your duties in a different area every couple of years. That's not really doable for anyone but the state level guys and even then most people wouldn't sign up for that poo poo cause its rough on families. Honestly as far as the CG goes I'm a weird gently caress cause 80% of my career has been in Alaska but I also hate doing LE with a passion so I try to leave people alone as much as possible...except those fucks who dont put their kids in life jackets. I've pulled enough kids out that I will happily write people up for that poo poo until my hand starts bleeding.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Apparently this is now the poop thread. Cause if either of you to think your going to change the others opinion lol.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

McNally posted:

It's Christmas you unbelievable shitheels.

Bunch of soulless mother fuckers. Let it rest for the day, drat.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

No one deserves to die.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao? John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, BTK, The Zodiac Killer, [insert any rapist or murderer here]?

I would argue life without parole, I don't really believe killing people who commit crimes is a deterrent. I'm willing to admit my views may be currently skewed at the moment due to some poo poo going on in my life right now but I don't think anyone deserves to die if the death could be prevented. I will acknowledge that some times killing someone can prevent others from dieing but saying someone deserves it....its a bit to far in my opinion.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

There's enough bad poo poo and bad people in the world, that I find the blanket statement of "no one deserves to die" to be loving naive as poo poo. Rock that view all you wish, but I don't gently caress with it in the slightest. There's a point where I feel you've done enough bad poo poo to have opted out of life w the rest of us. After that, you can def go.

Call me what you want, I'd rather see them in permanent solitary confinement for life and have them around to study then have the death penalty off an innocent. Do situations happen that end up with someone dead absolutely and if the situation warrants it I'm not going to feel bad about someone dieing in a firefight or something It's the hey we have them I'm custody so we should kill them that I am not cool with. If they are that bad why risk the people to take them in drop a bomb on them and be done with it although that also opens up a can of worms. Once you have them in custody there is no longer a reason for death in my opinion.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 10, 2020

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

Death is bad, let's give them a living hell instead. Got it. That said sure, let's totally put worthless shitbags to use advancing science. Rapists and murderers and pedos and all those WONDERFUL people that y'know deserve death.

Sorry allow me to elaborate. I would like them isolated from the general population. Not necessarily placed in a tiny room with no outside contacts. I don't want them dieing cause an inmate decides they should.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

Good clarification.

I'm an rear end in a top hat not a monster.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Federally funded and trained and monitored police on patrol INSTEAD of local cops subject to local (lack of) funding and local (lack of) oversight, probably.

Also the Coast Guard doesn't have the same problem because they don't operate with the mindset of being an occupying force on American soil

The CG tells you straight to your face, gently caress up and we will feed you to the wolves. We have the same type of gung ho mother fuckers the police get they just know they will get crucified if they get caught abusing their power. That and we dont really do revenue generation.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

gently caress off with this garbage, "fine" lmao. White people loving suck

Nah let them post. Better they learn and get called on poo poo then go elsewhere and join in a local PD circle jerk about sheepdogs.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Is the coast guard cops

Kind of, we do law enforcement but the vast majority of it is safety poo poo or making sure people are not polluting or illegally taking fish.

We have our assholes but for the most part we collectively take a giant poo poo on them and they generally get out to go do "real" law enforcement elsewhere. The funniest thing is we have the arguably the most power of any group of law enforcement officers but no one wants to use it unless its legitimately and unarguably necessary because its paperwork and no one wants to be a dick.

Universally the one thing we will skull gently caress you over is not putting your kids in lifejackets. I can't actually count the amount of my coworkers myself included that have nightmares about unsuccessful search and rescue cases involving kids.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Hezzy posted:

oh 200 replies I wonder if something interesting happened

nope

Hi Hezzy.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

That poster has been ITT for years though.

And no one Kramers in more than actual cops do.

I mean outside of a certain Brit cop most of us LEO'S that have posted have been fairly chill and open about the fact that we actively disagree with the way most shore side LE is done and have worked to change how our coworkers go about their job. Law enforcement needs a purge and I'm really hopeful it happens with the group of guys coming up, the younger guys we are getting now aren't the poo poo stains we used to get in the past making jokes about be judged by 12 rather then carried by 6.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ded posted:

100 'good cops' join the nice new shiny friendly 2021 police force. 60 of them don't make it through academy because they get sick of dealing with the supreme assholes teaching them + fellow students. 40 of them make it to the force. 20 of them report fellow officers for violations and get put on desk duty or fired. The other 20 shut the gently caress up and collect a paycheck because they realize they can't change poo poo.

Cops being bastards is a fully top down problem. If there is not major institutional change on every level on every single police force in every city this will never change.

From a fed LEO perspective every single place I have been stationed at once I was senior enough to partake in training others ended up with a bunch of leftist running the place. You can make a difference despite what all you dormers say. Between that and the new recruits being way more centrists and leftist to begin with its not even that hard. When one group treats you like poo poo and the other side treats you with dignity and respect....it's not rocket science in how they respond.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

It's not a hard concept. I'll break it down for you.

Im Federal law enforcement and have been for 18 years. I hate doing law enforcement and would much rather go fix broken poo poo but I keep having to do LEO poo poo do to experience and large size.

I conduct LEO training. When I leave a place it's generally full of if not leftist definitely left leaning centrists.

An individual can make a difference in spite of all the doom and gloom you guys constantly are regurgitating.

The younger guys we have coming in over the last 4-6 years swing way more left then the guys before them( insert non stop jokes about younger generations being soft.)

A bunch of the older guys treat the younger guys like poo poo due to a culture of hazing. I do not. I take my time when they are having problems and treat them like normal humans. It's pretty easy to make a lasting positive influence that way. For example the current unit I'm at was mostly centrists with probably 3 right wingers and on all right moron among the younger guys. Most of them are now leftist, one of the right wingers is center left. One hasn't changed from his libertarian views. One has been kicked out for sexual harassment/assault and the far right nut job has doubled down on Q.

Shits not hard, either the left goes in and fills the jobs and effects change or the right will. Personally I think writing off LEO'S as a lost cause because of "reasons" is stupid but I'll admit that I'm more then a little biased.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Hmm... you can’t think of any “reasons” we write off law enforcement?

I think we have found the problem.

As opposed to reforming them into something that actually works, doesn't use excessive force. No.

I mean you guys took me from a right/centrists poo poo head to a leftist with the approach I listed above, calmly and rationally explained why some things were problems that I had never experienced. If it worked for me and the example that you guys have set over the years has worked on others I don't see any reason to wholesale write off an entire group of people just because it's a lot of work.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Spaceguns posted:

Melthir are we taking fletc training/trainers here?

I know it's the acab thread but I think you're doing great and adding some perspective.

One of the current Fletc guys are was previous subordinate yes. Wasnt really what I was talking about but it fits. He is definitely communication over force guy and FLETC is honestly a great place to learn how to not be a poo poo heel. Unfortunately when people leave and go to a shity place the local yokels tell them to knock of the non confrontational poo poo a mocho up. Some stick with what they were taught some don't.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It is because you’re clearly using entirely different definitions of words.

What is a “leftist” in your mind? What politician stops being a centrist and starts being a leftist? I’m guessing you consider yourself a centrist?

Just for reference I briefly worked as a patrol cop before I quit and went to nursing at the nearest opportunity because I just didn’t fit in, not really for political reasons at the time or anything, because if I was a leftist at the time I wouldn’t have even considered it. Modern police is fundamentally incompatible with most leftist’s idea of an ideal society, and absolutely incompatible as it currently exists in the United States. So your statement that there are a lot of leftists in the feds is baffling. If I applied again despite have more qualifications now and a diverse professional history my membership in relatively moderate left groups like the DSA and SRA would probably get me rejected.

Hell, blueleaks shows that lots of locals and DHS memos referred to the SRA as a violent extremist group despite it being a 501c4 that literally has never engaged in any sort of protest or direct action. Even if most leftists wanted to join the police to reform it they’d be rejected out of hand.

Left of center. Starts working toward utilizing tax money for social benefits as opposed towards funneling money towards people's pockets. Actually working towards fixing infrastructure as opposed to having a infrastructure week. Belives science, works towards fixing the environment.

I don't consider my self a centrists.

As far as currently working in the fed. Enforcement of laws via warnings if possible. Violence is met with deescalation unless there is a legitimate danger to someone's life most of us could care less about property. Most of my current coworkers are quite a bit left of the current democrat platform.

I'll be more then happy to go as I depth as you guys want in a bit. Currently I have a zoom meeting coming up on covid vaccine training in 5 min.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

You’re conflating left and liberal in the way most people here use it, hence the confusion. Most right wing and liberal media conflate left and liberal it because it helps both groups, but they are incompatible ideas.

Leftist in the “correct” more academic use implies someone who is opposed to capitalism or maybe at the very least would only accept it with a significant redistribution mechanism. The only left wing group I can think of that has any pull in US electoral politics is the DSA, versus liberalism which is the dominant idea of the Dems and pre Tea Party was also dominant in a more conservative form in the GOP.

Maybe. I'm not the most politically savvy dude out there term wise. I'll put it at this most of the guys I've worked with are way more at home with the DSA then the democrats. I can't speak for the entirety of the CG but shits been changing and for the better at my last three duty stations.

The downside of that is the extremists Q idiots have been doubling down super hard core as they are getting more rare and increasingly more ridiculed for their beliefs. Quite often to the point where they get out which to me is a net good thing.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 13, 2021

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Doesn't mean the teenage girl deserved to die

Go try giving a hug to a person trying to stab someone let me know how that works out.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Maybe go gently caress yourself.

Job completed. Was relaxing thanks for the tip.

Coming from having someone try to stab me before at work and living next to people who have threatened me with bodily harm I don't have a lot of sympathy for someoneonce they pop out a weapon and are using it especiallywhen caught on camera.

If they were out in a field alone or away from other people, tazer or retreating is an option. Around other people being actively attacked with a lethal weapon regardless of the mental state of the victim they are catching lead. I'd do it and I'd drat well expect law enforcement to do it. No one deserves to die, that being said if someone is actively trying to cause lethal harm to others they have a fever and the perception is a bullet.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Good to know you think it's perfectly fine to shoot a child.

Maybe rethink some things in your life

I think its perfectly fine to shoot someone actively trying to kill someone else if I doubt that my size 13 applied to there body will 100% stop them.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

You’re arguing in defense of the shooting of a child.

At the end of the day, you are arguing in defense of the shooting of a child.

E: just want to say it again: you are arguing in defense of the shooting of a child.

I understand this. Would your opinion of this shoot have changed if it was not child? How old does someone have to be before they are responsible fore their actions? I'm not glad that this happened. I do not enjoy it. It's loving horrible.

It also saved a life. And I understand that and on this one I'm ok with the outcome. If other video pops up that shows the officer lurking around while this situation was escalating and not taking action then my opinion on this event will change.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I'd be perfectly fine if you ate a bullet after you made these arguments

I honestly don't care either way. My life has no effect on the outcome of this. I get that your angry and frustrated and want to lash out. With all the straight up terrible police shootings this seems a acceptable outcome from a minimally trained force.

How would you have approached this that would work better and would you be able to sleep a night if it didn't work. It's really easy to cast shade and talk mad poo poo but nothing that I ever carried would have stopped this with a comfortable percentage of certainty.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

you are arguing in defense of the shooting of a child

Once again when is someone responsible for there actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I’ll say 18.

There I answered your gotcha.

Now how young does someone have to be before you’re a piece of poo poo for arguing in favor of shooting a child? What if she was 7?

Since I answered your gotcha, go ahead and answer mine or get hosed.

Wasn't a gotcha question man. Im not trying to make this into a good thing. Your putting your preconceived judgment on my actions. It was more of what age do you feel that someone can make a decision and follow it up with an action that affects others before suffering long term possibly permanent consequences.

Considering that it's impossible to know someone's age at just by showing up I'd say if it appears they are 15ish or so.