Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
My grandfather was our communities sole law enforcement officer, for something like 27 years. He got paid a whopping $300 a month when he retired in 1998. He was no bastard, he was a good man who stood up to protect and serve our small community for next to nothing in return.

Professor Bling, there are good cops out there. The law of large numbers ensures there’s a few at a minimum, and a lot of us anecdotally know several good cops. So in all likelihood there’s more than just a random few.

There’s also a lot of bastard cops. One is too many, and we have a number, a large number even, of bastard cops.

This needs fixing, fast.

But there are good cops. They’re just as real as the bastards, and sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting ACAB constantly doesn’t change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Bored As gently caress posted:

The mental health system in this country is completely overwhelmed, and systemically underfunded. Blaming the police is a really easy thing to do, but it's a society-wide problem. No politician wants to raise taxes to improve living conditions in prisons, or to expand or build inpatient psych facilities, but that's exactly what we need. We've got so many people in jail that should be in inpatient psych centers. It's loving pathetic. We're spending $40k a year putting them in jail, and they'll only be worse once they get out, when if we spent a little bit more per year, they'd get the help they need and maybe, just maybe, be able to be independent and productive members of society if and when they get out.

There are backlogs and waiting lists for even outpatient treatment. There aren't enough publicly run inpatient psych facilities at all. poo poo was different before Reagan closed so many state run psych hospitals. So many people who aren't going to ever be able to take care of themselves are pushed out into the outpatient system and many of them fall through the cracks and either end up in jail, dead, or end up in a constantly revolving door of being kicked out of different outpatient facilities for breaking the rules there, but because they're semi self sufficient they can be kicked out of the inpatient facilities to free up beds.

There's always going to be people that are simply too mentally ill to ever live on their own outside of inpatient psychiatric hospitals. It's a loving shame but it's the truth.

I don't know what it's like in other states but in certain counties in NY there are county-wide mobile mental health crisis teams on call at all times for mentally ill people in distress. If someone is expressing suicidal thoughts or actions, and/or threatens to, or wants to, or is going to harm other people, police can take them for a 72 psychiatric evaluation at any hospital that has a psych section. Eval is made and they're either released to family, or sent to an inpatient psych hospital, or sent back to their outpatient residential facility.

The bottom line is that police need better training in dealing with the mentally ill or people in crisis, but that's not going to solve the issue alone. What we need is comprehensive mental healthcare coverage, an expansion of inpatient psychiatric hospitals, and an expansion to outpatient help as well. The problem is that that will cost a gently caress ton of money.

Additionally, even if police were to get better training for dealing with the mentally ill, there's still going to be police shootings of the mentally ill. That will never stop. Ever. Why? Because people who feel they are at their rock bottom, and whose brains are literally telling them that they deseve / should be dead, whether they are mentally ill or not, are going to know that if they charge a cop with a knife, or grab a gun out of their waistband etc that the police are going to shoot them. It's suicide by cop and even if all police were to get world class training in dealing with those in mental health crises, it'll never be completely eliminated, because people know the cops are going to protect themselves. The best we can do is try to minimize those incidents, which we should absolutely try to do. But better training is not the panacea that some may think it will be.

I want you to know I read every word of this- and in the end only one emoticon describes how I felt.

:smith:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Maybe don’t engage in cop chat if your not emotionally mature enough to do it w/o flying off the handle and screaming ACAB and going for a stress smoke.

I’m sure your a good dude, but this topic clearly crosses some wires in your head and turn you from good dude to “Why the gently caress is he still going off screaming ACAB?”

Thank you for the thoughtful post, though. It’s the only coherent and well thought out thing you’ve posted here and makes me think you aren’t necessarily arguing in bad faith. Just really, really, angry. And I can understand that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
McNally is new to this modding thing. When threads devolve like this one did it’s a lot easier to just hand out 6’ers and tell everyone to straighten up. Calling you a racist or suggesting you are is extremely hosed up but I wouldn’t take it too personally. Lots of folks think I’m a racist gently caress, but that’s their problem, not mine. Just ignore it. You know what’s in your heart and nothing anyone accuses you of can change that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Sorry to hear about your friend, Arc Light.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Domestic Violence is loving dirty and terrible. I don’t envy the cops, victims, or anyone really in a DV situation. I’m pretty much a “gently caress the police” guy but I feel bad for them on DV calls. Well maybe not bad, but I hope that things go well for them because holy poo poo when they don’t look out.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1177592073710641157

loving Texas Rangers.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s Texas, and she’s a young white woman accused of killing a black man.

She might not be found not guilty, but she’s never going to be found guilty.

Shits just not gonna happen. It’s sad, but it’s true.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

So how do we begin to fix this?

Embrace the fact that eventually Whites will be the minority in this country, and there’s going to have to be some Truth and Reconciliation South Africa style.

I’ll be long dead, but it’s going to happen.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

I agree with everything you said, except that deathsquad is accurate.

I mean, if its cops going around doing it, 100% deathsquads. But I think a more appropriate term would be domestic terrorism.

It’s loving death squads dude, church it up however you need to, it’s the same goddamned thing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

:stare:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Jesus loving Christ.

That’s.. goddamn it

Just please god, drat them all.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I know all cops are bastards, but I feel like his department would have stood by his side were he not black.

This is one of the fastest flash to bangs of killer cops getting charged. I really feel like the officers race is a contributing factor in this.

But hey, gently caress him. Seriously, gently caress him.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Taking anything at face value in a post factual society is... an interesting way to live.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Was it ever going to be anything but?

Honestly man, the difference between a good thread and a poo poo thread on a controversial topic usually is more about its moderation than anything else.

Your experience may differ, but I feel like with the right amount of thought and effort from a blue star or an IK, this thread and others could be made good.

I understand why you don’t expend the effort on it, just look at some of these assholes posts.. so please don’t take my post as being a dick.

Just imho moderation is the key, here and elsewhere. Look how well the CE thread runs with all the traffic and posters it see’s. That’s a result of good moderation.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Welp, looks like I'm the rear end in a top hat this time.

I loving hate when I have to own poo poo like that. I’ll do it, but gently caress I hate doing it. Makes me blood red faced embarrassed.

At least you don’t have to do it every 30 or so posts you make.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I remember being loving wrecked the entirety of basic and most of AIT at Fort Sam, horking up tan-colored chunks of lung. COVID would go through TRADOC like a loving scythe without serious measures.

Even though it was USAF our BMT has a good portion everyone get some kind of crud / general respiratory illness starting around week 2. The training instructors called it basic crud, and said it’s because we’re all from all over the U.S. and carrying a wild variety of bacteria and viruses that get spread like a wildfire because of the close confinement + stress (lol usaf bmt stress am I right?) just leads to a predictable outcome. T.I.’s were making dudes go to sick call and gave nobody any poo poo for going to sick call. But if you were out of training for more than I think 72 hours you recycled. The fear of recycle and my families plane tickets being worthless kept me outta sick call even though I was sick as gently caress. Dumb as poo poo in hindsight, but I was a teenager, and you know dumb they are.

On the other hand I’ve heard from others stories that this didn’t happen in their basic company/flight/whatever the gently caress the USN and presumably CG also use as well. So I guess it’s not guaranteed. Just common as hell. The “Wagner sucks cock” of public health issues. Pops up everywhere, is kind of understood, but not really. That sort of thing.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

Was expecting this thread to be a enclave of fascism on SA. I'm mildly surprised. A cop chat with no cops chatting!!

If you were a cop would you hang around here? The loving California Conservation Corps guy gets more camaraderie and acceptance here than cops do.

McNally needs to update the rules/Info saying this is the place for cops as well as military. It was a dumb combination to begin with- War Criminals and Cops mix like oil and water.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Seems kind of unnecessary, since they're all gone anyway, but I'll think about it.

I don’t honestly care one way or the other. We never did get any firefighters or EMT’s to get on the bus with us. I suspect the big draw for the cops was the ironic racism and the old way we used to post about war.

We’ve come a long, long, way. Some of that progress is to your credit, McNally.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

More info on that dog and pony show in NYC earlier this week.

http://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1292489700083666946

30 cops, 2 helicopters, and the best charge they can come up with is 3rd degree misdemeanor assault for 'injuring an officer' with a loud megaphone.

Wow.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
That reads like me probing a cop while I was GiP moderator.

Is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
What the gently caress are you guys talking about pasta?