Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Professor Bling posted:

That's... not the point of that post?

IRRELEVANT YOU DISAGREED ERGO YOU ARE WRONG, GOON SIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

For bike cops and ATV cops around where I used to live, they wait for cars or paddy wagons to come. Especially beach cops.

The article says there were no transport units available, so they were bringing the guy to their staging area two blocks away.

How the gently caress do you make that decision without thinking it through?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe. Maybe not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably the first, definitely the second.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

Maybe you should have been clearer, because a bunch of people thought that.

Maybe don't jump to the loving gallows. He doesn't owe you a loving thing, and you're making GBS threads on someone on a comedy internet forum for not sufficiently explaining how he walked away from a career doing exactly what you wanted him to do.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 9, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hot sorcery posted:

HOWEVER i don’t think it is possible to have a good faith discussion about policing with people who are currently cops, just as i don’t think open & civil debate with ICE, proudboys, etc. can (or should) exist.

i don’t know how to make this thread function.

If you refuse to have a discussion, then you don't.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 10, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No cops, no guns.

:v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hot sorcery posted:

godholio you can’t use “good faith” to police (lol) other people’s responses and then post things like this!! i know you’re joking and don’t actually think that sums up my viewpoint but everyone feels strongly about this issue and it would be easy to read this as you being flippant or dismissive!

i’m chatting with arc light now, will respond to him properly in this thread tomorrow.

That was actually not about you at all.

Also :v: has been the sarcasm guy since forever, and I'm not downloading the sarcmark(TM) to make it any clearer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I wanted to bring this here because it illustrates one of the problems we keep talking about :

https://twitter.com/ErnieLies/status/1162741430424674305

Note the refusal to even speculate on the existence of responsibility to be assumed, to the point of writing in such a way that it appears that the truck a corrections officer drove into protesters (on video, I note) did so of its own volition.

That's how a lot of those articles get written. To make sure I wasn't just falsely remembering, I just looked up the Nice truck attacks, a similar event in NY, and some other I've already forgotten. "*vehicle* drives into crowd" is how a lot of these headlines read.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 18, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Is spitting in the street a criminal offense in Portland like it is in in Singapore?

https://twitter.com/feefifofummmm/status/1162935241582841857

If not how insecure are those loving snowflakes.

Before I say this, I want to emphasize that the overreaction was loving absurd. However...maybe don't spit on the swat team.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That approach probably would've ended differently.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tryzzub posted:

thank you police force for protecting us from loose cigarettes and spit. its ok that you overreact sometimes and do irreparable bodily harm disproportionate to the crime being committed.

ITT we just post bullshit nobody said so we can self-justify outrage that was already justified.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tryzzub posted:

itt we’re not siding with the cops but actually heres some reasons they were right

Per my last post...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You go out of your way to paint yourself as a hero cop when you're just a piece of poo poo pig

Dude.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Oh drat I didn't read all of them at first, gently caress that guy.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grem posted:

Along with most problems in the US today.

England is thataway, pal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

solitary

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No I mean why tell you to just quit

Consider the source.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

"We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeapordize (sic) the integrity of the city of Dallas and DPD" reads like being told "be careful what you say, for your own safety" accompanied by a hard stare.

Yeah, it's not a particularly veiled statement. It's "dad sitting on the porch cleaning a shotgun" veiled, except far more credible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The afterparty, allegedly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

#3 is particularly worthless, but overall I like em.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

eh requiring a BA shrinks the potential hire pool for police departments which in turn should incentivise these institutions to institute more robust / effective training regiments because they can't just replace bad hires with rookies. It also would likely require that they pay better to compete with other industries that a BA would open up their applicants to. Who knows what it would actually look like in the real world though.

Now replace "cops" with "military officers" and see if you still agree.

stealie72 posted:

Quick google says in dallas anyway vet cops are more shooty.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/15/police-with-military-experience-more-likely-to-shoot

Also, this. Once they stop killing people.

You're not going to attract better people with poo poo wages that require 20 hrs of overtime a week just to keep the mortgage paid up.

Edit: Also I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but in some states potential cops have to pay their way through the academy unless they have a job waiting for them (which is one way that vets get in so easily...the PD knows they can take orders and run a mile or whatever so they're less of a risk than the 22 year old college student who hasn't worked anywhere but fast food).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I don't really understand what you're getting at with this statement. Cops shouldn't be earning poverty wages and we as a nation should not be hiring bottom of the barrel applicants to police our communities because that's all we are willing to pay.

I fail to see the relevance of comparing cops to military officers, and my experience in the submarine navy generally only put me in contact with an officer corps that was incredibly competent on average.

The stupidity of requiring a degree, any degree, as a way of determining whether one is qualified for a job that is almost certainly unrelated to the field of said degree.

Edit: Actually I think we're in agreement on this. Not really sure how I misread your post, so pretend I was piling on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We need a judiciary that is willing to stop believing that law enforcement is acting in good faith.

It concerns me that there have been a few times this past week or so that we've agreed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

a fight between the general population and an oppressive armed force.

I suspect that's not how most of them see it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Obviously easy to Monday Morning Quarterback, but why didn't they just knock on her door to check on her?

Now you've done it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Using a video edited to start in the middle of the event is exactly the same as using edited body cam footage to implicate the suspect/victim in police assault cases.

Congrats, you're a cop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

In a sea of bad posts and dumb takes, I’ve found a big ole fish.

It's a lovely video that shows basically nothing. Don't read deeper than that.

Edit: The cops are probably the shitheels. I just think it's a poo poo clip.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 19, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You probably need a reason to restrict someone's duties and their paychecks. If he was cleared, it seems questionable that they could keep him on that status. If they couldn't trust him, they should've done something else (like not clear him). He'll probably win.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're not people, they are a person.

Or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

Could've been a decent discussion but it devolved pretty quickly thanks to a few posters making GBS threads up the thread.

Good thing we don't have this problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blandford, MA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I find it more ironic for all police culture's lip service to selflessness, that the police chose to not be police anymore when there was no money in it.

I don't blame them really.

That's a weird take, since the article pretty clearly listed fundamental safety shortfalls alongside near-walmart wages.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

loving :laffo: at “Torch Run” being on a police vehicle- a Charger nonetheless- in Charlottesville; whoever did this is at BEST completely tone deaf and more likely a fash.

That's a tipping point even for me. Jesus Christ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: Such a tiff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it less than ideal to have every officer lined up on one wall? Sure. But there is no defined hierarchy for someone to give orders, there isn't any information indicating other shooters - and this is a crime scene, not a war zone, chances are there won't be additional shooters. Look, ultimately the problem with your premise is that interagency training will never be a thing, primarily for logistical reasons. Policing in America is done at a local level, and it's unreasonable to expect that 4 agencies will have not only trained together enough to coordinate their actions in a meaningful way, but also to establish who has jurisdiction/control/whatever over a given scene to be able to give orders. It's a chaotic, dynamic situation and you do the best you can. Hell, given the lack of uniforms (which, as has been pointed out, is a function of the emergency) splitting up could prove to be more dangerous if one cop sees someone they don't know with a firearm.

I'm super late to the party, but even the military fucks up joint ops on a daily goddamned basis despite spending almost half a century specifically trying to fix that problem.

Edit: Jesus gently caress, you idiots are still going at it?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's pretty impressive to jump into this thread after the past couple of pages and post the dumbest take.

Edit: V Hey buddy take the reasonable discussion elsewhere! (actually I'm curious about that as well)

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 12, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grem posted:

They're not broke.

No, but their budgets are micromanaged even more than DOD money. Different pots and all that, and god help you if you gently caress up spending fed money.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The answer is probably that the union will back him because there is no conviction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

I don't care what the number is because it's not 0. It doesn't matter.

Well, as long as you're being reasonable.