Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Why not just go to WalMart and get a supersoaker and come back for some revenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

No, he has one mode and it hasn't evolved at all. There's no point in talking to him, he's not here to discuss he's here to shout. And that's fine, really, listen to what everyone has to say but some people just want to be heard and aren't interested in any discourse, so hear them and move on with your day.

Everyone has heard Bling's point of view, hopefully society and policing changes eventually to reflect a world more tolerable to him in the near future, but he has nothing new to say.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Sorry I missed MP chat. I was an MP. This last year I met a poet who had a line about an undocumented person being arrested for delivering food on base by an MP. After his set I talked to him about all the horrible poo poo that MPs do and how the pressures of the military are a mindfuck when you get out with a little self awareness and realize that you were doing some really horrible poo poo for a really lovely reason.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Yea, blame the founding fathers for that bullshit.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Along with most problems in the US today.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

If you guys have seen video from the trial the prosecutor isn't really pulling any punches. He seems to genuinely hate her, too, as we all should.

She's trying the "I wish it was meeeeeeee" defense, too. The way it's been going I really see a conviction coming, there's no real defense.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

They did not mention the degree, so I'm assuming that gets determined later. First degree murder has a sentence range of 5-99 years. Capital murder has life sentence to death penalty. It is possible for the state to pursue capital murder because one of the predicates is committing a murder in the process of a burglary. Based upon my non-texas lawyer reading of the burglary statute, she did indeed commit a capital murder.

I thought Texas didn't have degrees of murder?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

God drat install police protection devices on your home if you live in the Dallas-FW area.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/woman...gTIL0hwffu2K6Qw

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Fort Worth police chief apparently figured out this was going to be bad and can't cover it up.

Named the officer, said he would have fired him today if he didn't resign, gave evidence to the FBI for civil rights violation.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Stravag posted:

The witness murder or the lady who got shot for standing infront of her window with a gun in the house,

Uh, not sure I understand your question, but this is the Fort Worth case and the officer that shot was named, and resigned.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Any vet wanting to become a cop needs to go through extensive screening and retraining. Vets shouldn’t be allowed to keep moving into the police force and perpetuating their mentality of being a foreign occupying force separate from the civilians they monitor.

Also any cop that says “civilian” as if it’s something they the cop is not should be kicked out.

Also also no MPs they’re clearly mentally unsuitable if they volunteered for that.

lol, I was an MP, then became a cop. You're right.

Policing by sortition sounds pretty legit, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Their behavior after enrolling IE never attending classes or registering or anything is probably going to be used to claim that they enrolled strictly for the Visa and had no intention of actually attending any classes and we're therefore engaged in some bad faith conduct to skirt immigration regulations

This is exactly what DHS will argue.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

I think the answer to that is that those cops knew what was beyond their target, and just didn't care because they know they won't face any repercussions.

It's this.

Literally the reason I quit Denver PD. It's not that they aren't trained. It's that they Are and do not give a gently caress.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Okay but seriously why didn’t half of those cops have plate carriers that identified them as cops.

Mismanagement of department funds. None had the choice of an identified plate carrier and a tacticool plate carrier, they were handed what was available.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Are they too broke to issue identifier tape to put on there, too?

They're not broke.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are the cops in Aurora unionized? I know similar cases have been taken to trial in other judicial districts in CO (minus the cop part). Not really doing anything seems suboptimal

Yes, they are

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

colachute posted:

And that’s a problem people have with cops, specifically. That they are needlessly antagonistic. You don’t have to be antagonizing people, but you choose to.

90% of people interacting online do this.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

colachute posted:

I think a cop being purposely antagonistic by being exactly what people complain about might be different than some rando shitposting in YouTube comments.

It's not.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

colachute posted:

I have a reinforced negative opinion of cops because a cop is being purposely antagonistic, which is a chief complaint about cops.

It is.

Sounds like a you problem.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Sure man, most people will respond to anonymous antagonistic behavior in a similar way. Witnessing that can be traumatic, sure, but it often has very little to do with what a person really thinks. Letting a keyhole view, and a skewed keyhole at that, affect your world view isn't very healthy, as you're at the whim of another person's choice of expression. Being traumatized by how one person reacts when called a KKK recruiter is no way to live, Cole.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I'd post a lot more but I'm picking up a date in a few minutes and I just ripped some serious rear end in my car and I'm kind of panicking.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

To ignore the same dynamics of oppression against black people vis a vis white cops is a really interesting take.

Like yeah. No one should be harassed but acting that all other things are equal is disingenuous.

https://twitter.com/George_iloka/status/1217907031472070656?s=19

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Meanwhile Drill Instructors are managing to run boot camp with everybody in masks

Are they really? I want to see a picture, sounds like quite a scene!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

lol pandemic aside that loving rules. Do that forever.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Just curious which cop goons in this thread do you guys think are not on your side here?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

The ones who aren’t actively trying to stop police brutality.

I think there's like one guy that I can say is like that that USED to post in these threads.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

What is your point

If you’re a cop you’re complicit. I don’t care if you’re “on my side.” You’re not “on my side” if you’re complicit.

Shitposting about how much it sucks isn’t enough. Fix your loving people.

I, too, would like every single person who is in an industry that unfairly treats Americans to stop their entire industry. But I think that you are going to find that solutions are not going to come from inside the profession you're upset about. Cops from across the country either are too close to their own department and think their friends just "made a mistake" or are too far from the actual issues. Rage at politicians and put leaders in place who are going to implement civilian oversight committees and such.

Don't get me wrong, everyone is right to be upset at cops and I even WAS one for a bit. But the solution when screaming into the void isn't to scream into the void harder. I get maybe it's cathartic because you think you're yelling at cops here. None even post in this thread any more, for the most part. This thread was a big red flashing "Come yell at cops here" at one point. It doesn't feel like that anymore. Now it feels like "Come yell at cops so you feel better without actually doing anything".

Get out and loving do something. Organize, vote, join a group like DSA, and I guess yell at cops here, but man...that's going to be the least effective thing you can do.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I guess I was just befuddled at a post I saw elsewhere that marked this thread as a place where police goons gather when that hasn't been true for a long time.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

There were three police officers watching a guy murder someone.

What the gently caress is the point of them existing if they aren’t going to stop someone from getting murdered?

I think the point is you aren't going to reach out and change the mind of police. They're a lost cause. Even here. That's why no cop goons post here very often. When they did they saw themselves as so disconnected from events that they saw themselves as being effective by trying to comfort people's anger in forum by showing they're totally on your side! I dunno man, I get the anger and all that, just seems like you think cops can be changed by it, and I don't think they will.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

joat mon posted:

Trying to change our judicial system by becoming a DA is like trying to change foreign policy by commissioning as a Reaper pilot.

The 'good' quotient of DAs is about the same as for cops. There are just a lot more cops, who by their numbers take a lot more shots on the 'bad' goal.

I've definitely seen more DAs be effective than cops. It may have only been one or two but that's more than zero.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Flikken posted:

Probably confusing it with the old cop lounge thread before all of the cops were driven out of GIP

Yea people still come in here to yell at cops and it's so confusing.

e: I mean it's not really confusing, people want to shout at cops, but there are no cops here anymore.

Grem fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 28, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

PeterCat posted:

So, this video shows Floyd being arrested on May 25. How does it go from him being in cuffs to the cops kneeling on the guy's neck till he's dead?

https://www.fox9.com/video/688458

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/27/surveillance-footage-before-george-floyd-killed-minneapolis-not-resisting/

What was the chronology here? I know I'm looking for rationality and cause and effect in a matter that doesn't have any logic to it.

Is it really as simple as the police killed a man because he pissed them off?

Most likely Floyd was put in an uncomfortable position and reflectively jerked or pulled away, cop took that as resist and took him down, put his knee on his neck because he's a white supremacist. It makes no sense whatsoever to put your knee on someone handcuffed like that, even a dude not in handcuffs training a decade ago specifically said NOT to do that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Woofer posted:

Isn’t it a common tactic to bait a resisting charge by forcing the person into an uncomfortable position where they’ll have no choice but to resist?

I would say that is not something that I was ever trained to do and I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I could 100% believe that people do that. I can't speak to how common it is. It is very easy to take actions the wrong way and overreact if you're not level headed or a stable person, which doesn't apply to many cops.

So yea I could totally see this rear end in a top hat cop cranking on Floyd's arm or something and taking him down when he pulls away.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

From the video they pulled him out of his car, walked him across the street, and he fell. Then he had three cops kneeling on him while face down on the pavement.

The officer kneeling on his neck didn't let up until paramedics arrived and they rolled Floyd's limp corpse onto a stretcher, still cuffed. The medics never found a pulse from arrival, indicating he was dead on the ground already by the time they got there.

Why was that cop kneeling on the neck of an unresponsive and visibly unconscious man, if not to kill him?

Why are you asking me? I wasn't defending the cops.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Have a record like that in any other line of work and you'd have been fired a long time ago. It's insane that these subhuman scum still had any sort of job near a law enforcement agency.

The Klob dropped charges on one of them

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Doppelganger posted:

I really, really kinda wish Cmdr Shepard still posted here just so I could watch him seethe at all these goddamn vermin having the gall to challenge authority.

It's good that he's gone.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I genuinely don't discount that there are also police officers that are intentionally kept out of the club (of abuses)

How many of y'all dealt with shady dudes in the military backing each other up? Why is it difficult to believe bad police would misinform and gaslight their own?

This is legit. I was only a cop for a couple years but the amount of gaslighting that goes on is pretty insane. I'm about to eat dinner so I really don't have time to get in to everything, but there's a reason cops are abusers by a wide margin and even their talking points (well if you don't have us around who's going to save you?) are indicative of domestic abuse.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

Maybe a few cops are good people but we wouldn’t be here if any significant portion of them were.

It's okay to lump them all together. Especially those who are staying in at this point.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I would bet there's more minorities serving in the Army than are in the police. Only reason I'd see them being better at serving and protecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

My coworker was there, she's a 55 year old math teacher with terminal cancer. I live in Aurora and worked with Aurora PD several times, and still do in my new career since they're in schools, obviously. Every single Aurora PD guy I know is a raging loving dick. Like even the wishy WASHY BS of "oh they're a good cop, trying to do the right thing" or the ones you see that take a knee off of a guys neck (and get fired for it), they don't loving exist in Aurora PD.