Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

I helped you find a home for this article which cites Breaking Bad in its deconstruction of the motivations of people killing each other over illegal substances/money and their actions subsequent to committing a murder.

Not for nothing, I've had first hand experience with people who travel greater distances than that for marijuana and who have killed for less. I get why people want to assume the worst here with regard to DPD ("ACAB", etc), and I would hope another agency (State? FBI?) is able to thoroughly unpack the investigation for the public in order to restore some modicum of faith in the community that their local law enforcement agency isn't trying to murder and intimidate them into submission. Or, you know, prosecute the entire DPD if that is exactly what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Y'all cry when we suggest this because what if your friend only lightly hate crimed???

DPD and the Rangers need to be removed entirely from this case.

Totally normal thing to say to a stranger on the internet. Cool.

Agreed, (again, for the sake of public trust if nothing else) but I'd be curious if such a thing is feasible with a murder investigation where I assume time is not a luxury and (speculating now), or the integrity of the investigation could suffer with an abrupt hand-off to a different agency. Curious how much insight cop goons can provide (granted, "well I'm not a Dallas/TX cop..")

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

So think about it this way.

Can you think of any other person or organization, when public rumor suggests they may have been involved in a crime, gets away with making those sort of open if lightly veiled threats towards their critics during an ongoing investigation?

To be clear, and I know nobody is soliciting approval from me but I do want to express this: I believe you are being sincere when you say you see a veiled threat in that tweet.

But I do not. It might as well be a MagicEye poster because I cannot find the sail boat in DPD PR's limp-dicked appeal to community comradery.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This is definitely a BTK/Golden State Killer scenario I tell myself as I ignore all contextual clues to the contrary and proceed to stealthily infiltrate the backyard and shine flashlights all over the goddamn place.

None of it makes any sense. gently caress that guy.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Also I seriously doubt firing him would've ended well considering police are the one entity in this tinpot plutocracy who actually have functioning unions. People get pissed about cops receiving compensation while an investigation is ongoing but firing someone is basically saying "you're clearly bad at your job but we have no interest in determining if you are criminally negligent".

Disregard all of the above if you assume all internal investigations are fixed.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

McNally posted:

Jesus loving Christ your goddamned av

WHAT DID YOU DO

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

McNally posted:

People were getting motion sickness from your old av.

Sorry for the ableist art, gang. I'd PM you about this but EBB thinks it's hilarious to tax low-income earners for using folksy GIP memes in the Drunk Thread.

Can you at least change it to something that doesn't suck? With text color changed to Olive

lol gently caress u

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 19, 2024

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

also requiring degrees to be a cop would just result in more dipshit cops like vermis that get loving film degrees lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Watch out, that criminal is threatening to unleash French New Wave Cinema on the public!

*VV smiles and adjusts his mirrored aviators, knowing this is precisely what he was meant for in life*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This story is so loving good. Reporter takes a $9/hr job as a CO in a private prison and is remarkably introspective about his adjustment:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/cca-private-prisons-corrections-corporation-inmates-investigation-bauer/

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Arc Light posted:

I read that back in 2016 when it came out, so my memory might be fuzzy, but didn't he end up on the fast track for promotion just by virtue of not being completely worthless?

Huh. Now that I think about it, a reason why he is being tapped for promotion is the one thing he doesn't dive into (outside of sharing the generic eval text).

I suspect his ability to write "pink slips" in complete sentences might also have been a factor if his description of his meth-adjacent co-trainees and his tacticlol boomer retiree colleagues paint an accurate picture of his co-workers.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Dead now. TFR-flavored ACABers are hilarious:

"There should be no law enforcement and people should be responsible for preventing and stopping crime and bringing the suspect to a fair trial themselves. If you let someone commit a crime against you and you didn't stop or apprehend them then tough poo poo and better luck next time."

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

colachute posted:

I watched Money Talks last night and there’s a scene at a bar where two cops recognize Chris Tucker who is wanted for murder and the two cops proceed to shoot up the bar while Chris Tucker is unarmed and running away and I’m thinking “this is what a lot of people think being a cop is like and is why they want to be cops.”

lol

jesus christ

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This isn't anything new in GiP. There was always a steady stream of posters wandering in and accusing everyone of being complicit in military warcrimes by virtue of existing.

And any good faith attempt by veterans to engage in examining how wartime atrocities occur and should be addressed were met with shrieks of islamaphobia/racism/fascism.

It's loving embarrassing watching people (presumably veterans, but I really don't know and I guess it doesn't matter) use this thread as a venting alternative to jerking off at your desk or taking a hundred photos of your ~service dog~ between cashing Uncle Sam's WARRIOR CLASS welfare checks.

If you gave a poo poo, you'd listen and engage with people who choose to spend their adult life addressing this poo poo instead of shouting vitriol into this thread like its some blue-check villain's comments section.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

TBF there's also always been a steady stream of regulars hanging out and accusing everyone of being complicit in military warcrimes by virtue of existing but with a tinge of defensive irony

Which I embrace fully, obviously. I gave Whip all kinds of poo poo about being a Cop but it was only because he was a bad mod. Not because a cop somewhere murdered someone.

Just like I don't give Cole poo poo every time I'm stuck in line behind some meth-mouthed redneck buying lottery tickets in the middle of the goddamn day.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/mimirocah1/status/1211098520893026305?s=21

You lied in court and got a guy incarcerated for months with that lie? You sir, need to retire with benefits* posthaste!

*I think? I assume if it’s retire rather than fired or resign, there are benefits involved.

https://apnews.com/a778b5459c2889e2b7446fb1c1d54dda

Dude was on federal supervision for cocaine trafficking when cops pulled 17 kilos out of his property. I suspect he will be incarcerated for months again soon enough.

Cop should've gave less of a poo poo. I wonder if the warrant excluding the 3rd floor/decision to search it, knowingly or otherwise, was on him or if he was going all ENDS JUSTIFIES THE MEANS to fix someone else's gently caress up.

Cuz lol if so. It aint worth it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe victim BLAMING is tehnically incorrect.

How about being a judgmental rear end who dismisses the victim's plight, because he assumes the victim is a liar and deserves prison anyway?

I am saying the officer should've upheld the accused's constitutional rights regardless of how many kilos of cocaine they pulled out of the the wrong part of the property. I'm not even being sarcastic. You can't fix cut corners by cutting more corners. And he shouldn't have lied about it to a grand jury. All the victims for whom he helped secure justice previously will now have their past plights revisited upon them as they realize the guy they gave a statement to x many years ago, and appeared in court at the behest of, has cast that justice out onto the thin ice up because he, a dipshit, dicked-down the fruits of the poisonous tree.

Try being less naive about human nature. If the accused was seriously on the straight-and-narrow and got hosed by some coke-moving tenants, then the cop is just as wrong as he is in any other scenario. Get the right warrant, or serve the one you have. Don't lie to the grand jury.

Opining on the potential recidivism rate of someone with a prior trafficking offense discovering there are now 17 kilos in their home isn't indicative of fascist leanings ya fuckin' nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

was branis the guy with the smokey and the bandit avatar?

lol

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 19, 2024